PDA

View Full Version : Home automation

Bass Chaser
07-02-2019, 01:45 PM
Looking for input on home automation without security monitoring. There seems to be so much out there it's overwhelming. I currently have Vivint but can't get them to call me back on expanding their system.

Looking to add a couple of cameras and a doorbell camera, but would like to control everything with one app.

Tbonewannabe
07-05-2019, 01:13 PM
I have a Ring doorbell and I like it. I know you can add cameras to the system so it is controlled from one app. I also have a Nest thermostat but I really don't use the app that often. I am sure you can get something like Google Home to control everything.

ScoobaDawg
09-10-2019, 08:09 PM
I haven't done it myself yet.. but the short of it is... decide what world you want to live in.
Amazon...

or

Google.

Then buy compatible devices. Nest was bough by google a few years ago.

Tbonewannabe
09-11-2019, 09:51 AM
So since I last posted, I have bought 3 Amazon Echos for my house. I have one for the Living Area (Living Room, Kitchen, and Dining Room are in an open area), in our Master Bedroom, and my office. They will notify you if someone rings the Ring doorbell, I can change the temp through them on my Nest thermostat, and that is about it for what I use them for other than music.

ScoobaDawg
09-11-2019, 10:10 AM
So since I last posted, I have bought 3 Amazon Echos for my house. I have one for the Living Area (Living Room, Kitchen, and Dining Room are in an open area), in our Master Bedroom, and my office. They will notify you if someone rings the Ring doorbell, I can change the temp through them on my Nest thermostat, and that is about it for what I use them for other than music.

Ah, next thing you know you will be buying the smart light fixtures, smart appliances.. and whatever else not.

Tbonewannabe
09-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Ah, next thing you know you will be buying the smart light fixtures, smart appliances.. and whatever else not.

I think I am done but who knows. I don't see too much incentive in the smart appliances although I haven't figured out how to get my LG TV to accept Alexa commands.