PDA

View Full Version : Mangum debut.........

West Tn Dawg
07-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Jake leading off tonight and playing CF. Duplantis batting 2nd and playing left...... Should be a pretty stout OF and top of the line-up!
Brooklyn Cyclones

msbulldog
07-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Let's go Jake! Outhit Duplantis again!

HereComesTheSpiral
07-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Cole pitched the 9th last night with 3 strikeouts.

msstate7
07-01-2019, 06:02 PM
I'd expect a hot start for all. Shewmake for the braves is killing A ball

RougeDawg
07-02-2019, 01:34 AM
I'd expect a hot start for all. Shewmake for the braves is killing A ball

A ball is not as good as SEC ball. It?s probably in line with Juco or division 2-3 baseball. Whatever those levels are these days. SEC baseball and most power 5 is between A and AA of late. That?s why you have seen more college players going in the draft recently and why many of them make the quick transition to the big leagues. Let?s kist say power 5 baseball is 1.5A baseball these days. The scouts and draft prove this.

smootness
07-02-2019, 07:40 AM
Just as an update, Mangum went 1-5 with a 1B, a R, and a K. Duplantis was 0-4.

And SEC ball is not between A and AA. There are some players who are that level or better, but there are a lot who are not. Where it gets dicey in the comparison is the top-end pitching. The top-end pitching is basically AA level, but there are a lot of pitchers, especially in the bullpen, who aren't at that level or even close.

Look at guys like Rooker and Renfroe. Hitters don't sustain the same kind of numbers once they hit pro ball that they did in the SEC. Some may do it in rookie ball, and a few may even do it beyond that, but most don't.

louisvilledawg
07-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Random question regarding Jake and Cole's team:

They are in Brooklyn, NY. How are they able to afford to live there considering how much Jake's bonus was (also assuming Cole's was about the same?) Do they have team families that open up their homes to players? Do they get comped meals? Quick google search says its the second most expensive city to live in in the nation.

Just curious how minor league ball works in that area.

TALL DAWG
07-02-2019, 09:00 AM

And SEC ball is not between A and AA. There are some players who are that level or better, but there are a lot who are not. Where it gets dicey in the comparison is the top-end pitching. The top-end pitching is basically AA level, but there are a lot of pitchers, especially in the bullpen, who aren't at that level or even close.

Look at guys like Rooker and Renfroe. Hitters don't sustain the same kind of numbers once they hit pro ball that they did in the SEC. Some may do it in rookie ball, and a few may even do it beyond that, but most don't.

And, obviously, using wooden bats instead of aluminum is a huge adjustment and makes it much tougher for batters.

smootness
07-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Random question regarding Jake and Cole's team:

They are in Brooklyn, NY. How are they able to afford to live there considering how much Jake's bonus was (also assuming Cole's was about the same?) Do they have team families that open up their homes to players? Do they get comped meals? Quick google search says its the second most expensive city to live in in the nation.

Just curious how minor league ball works in that area.

They probably cram 8 guys into an apartment and sleep on air mattresses. Compensation for minor leaguers is insane.

RougeDawg
07-02-2019, 12:15 PM

I personally know pro scouts, coaches and mlb players. I?ll take their word over yours which is most times illogical. You are clueless based on your first sentence so I will not waste my time typing anything else.

smootness
07-02-2019, 01:27 PM
I personally know pro scouts, coaches and mlb players. I?ll take their word over yours which is most times illogical. You are clueless based on your first sentence so I will not waste my time typing anything else.

LOL Ok.

If SEC ball was between A and AA, we would see guys consistently come into A ball and put up numbers even bigger than they did in the SEC. They don't.

There is serious talent in the SEC...and there are also a bunch of guys who will never play pro ball and more who won't ever advance past rookie/A ball. When you're facing an Ethan Small, sure, it plays like AA. When you're facing Missouri's #3 starter, it doesn't at all. Same with the pitchers - when you face Brent Rooker, it plays like AA. When you face Gunner Halter, it doesn't at all.

Homedawg
07-02-2019, 04:37 PM

Hunter Stovall, Ryan Gridley, jack kruger, Gavin Collins all respectfully disagree. And I could go on. But I do find it ironic you would even listen to the people you named, Hell you know more about hitting than Cohen and his entire staff, you said so for years.