PDA

View Full Version : Perusing the Penn State board after Steven's camp....

Matt3467
07-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Interesting read. Some say they hate he left while others say he may not have even been the second best QB there. I think some are quite salty while others are more realistic.
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/tommy-stevens-spins-it-at-camp.240805/

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Interesting read.

In all these situations there will be the sour grapes people & sky is falling people. Either way, I think the consensus is that Penn State fans liked Tommy, but in many ways, like us, I'm not sure they saw him play enough to really know how good he is.

Think about it, if KT left tomorrow for another school, would you really know how good he was?

I think it's a similar situation.

msstate7
07-01-2019, 05:42 PM
No idea how good Stevens is, but I think it's pretty clear Franklin thinks Clifford is better. I don't think he would've let Stevens walk if he felt Stevens were the better of the 2. With that said, both Stevens and Clifford could be studs. I just don't see why a penn st fan would have sour grapes if they trust Franklin.

klong-dog
07-02-2019, 05:03 AM
I think Franklin is very bullheaded on things.. I don't see him giving in on something like that.

GreenheadDawg
07-02-2019, 07:10 AM
Fact of the matter is that Stevens is better than anything else we currently have.

Jack Lambert
07-02-2019, 07:56 AM
No idea how good Stevens is, but I think it's pretty clear Franklin thinks Clifford is better. I don't think he would've let Stevens walk if he felt Stevens were the better of the 2. With that said, both Stevens and Clifford could be studs. I just don't see why a penn st fan would have sour grapes if they trust Franklin.

Franklin comes off as a arrogant A Hole. When he made the statement I have to see how hot a coaches wife is before I hire him said all I needed to know about him. Maybe Stevens just said I am tired of the SOB. Maybe Franklin is a A Hole to every. Maybe Stevens just said I am going to go play for a guy I like. One guy made that point in that thread. "Maybe he just like Moorhead More."

Pollodawg
07-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Fact of the matter is that Stevens is better than anything else we currently have.

/thread.

msstate7
07-02-2019, 08:12 AM
I was interested in how the graduate transfer QBs of last year worked out, so I found the list of the top 20

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/02/ranking-the-20-graduate-transfer-quarterbacks-where-are-they-going

I don't have time to check every one of them out right now, but minshew is the only one I recognized as having a good year. Now I don't know all of them, so there could've been more. You guys help me out with figuring success rate

Dawgfan77
07-02-2019, 08:49 AM
TS wasn?t promised the starting job at PSU. Yes he was the clear favorite going into the spring but that?s when it all went down hill. The main issue was that Franklin and the staff mismanaged TS ankle injury in December which kept him out of spring practice. Franklin promised him that he would compete for the starting job but then named a starter after spring without giving TS a fair shot This was not that TS was bad or not good it was that staff mismanagement of the injury and the competition. This is why he transferred

Tbonewannabe
07-02-2019, 08:59 AM
I was interested in how the graduate transfer QBs of last year worked out, so I found the list of the top 20

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/02/ranking-the-20-graduate-transfer-quarterbacks-where-are-they-going

I don't have time to check every one of them out right now, but minshew is the only one I recognized as having a good year. Now I don't know all of them, so there could've been more. You guys help me out with figuring success rate

Most of those transferred down so I didn't recognize them but I just randomly looked up Brady White who transferred to Memphis. He led the AAC in passing and was tied with Drew Locke at 20th in the nation in TDs. That is pretty good. I would bet most of the guys was at least as good or better than any QB on the roster which is the important part.

Getting Stevens doesn't hurt unless KT transfers and was actually the better QB. I doubt that is the case at least in Moorhead's offense unless KT has gotten drastically better from the Spring game. I am not going to check but I imagine you have several posts during or after the spring game saying we are screwed because KT can't complete more than 50% of his passes.

This seems to be a case of you just finding a reason to shit on Moorhead instead of saying he did a great job to get a QB to give us a better chance at success and the QB is possibly pretty damn good.

BrunswickDawg
07-02-2019, 09:08 AM

I'm Bored - so here you go.

20- Ryan Boyle - Iowa to Indiana - didn't play at either
19 - Shawn Stankavage - Vandy to Rice - threw 1 pass at Vandy. At Rice he went 124 of 219 for 1328 yards, 10 TD 10 INT - Rice Sucked, he seemed serviceable.
18 - Tucker Isreal - no info
17 - Jeff George, Jr - Illinois to Pitt - went from starter who lost job to not playing (proving his Jeff George's son)
16 - James Morgan - Bowling Green to FIU - serviceable QB at BGU. Lit up FIU for 213 of 326 for 2727 yards, 26 TDs and 7 int, went 8-3.
15 - Jacob Park - Iowa - no school in 2018
14 - JJ Consentino - FSU - no school in 2018
13 - Evan Shirreffs - Miami to Charlotte - Played in 3 games at Miami. Played in 5 at Charlotte
12 - Alex Malzone - Michigan to Miami U. (OH) - No appearances at Michigan. 2 games at Miami.
11 - Quinten Dormady - Tennesse to Houston - 13 games over 3 seasons at UT. 1 games at Houston
10 - Jalan McClendon- NCSU to Baylor - 14 appearances in 3 seasons at NCSU. Played 9 games at BU, 55 of 91 for 715, 3 TD and 3 INT
9 - Brady White - ASU to Memphis - 2 appearances in 3 seasons at ASU. Lit up Memphis with 246 for 392, 3296 yards, 26 TDs and 9 INT. Went 8-6
8 - KJ Carta-Samuels - Washington to Colorado State - 15 appearances in 3 seasons at Washington. Won starting job at CSU, went 183 for 298 with 2261 yards, 19 TDs and 9 INT, went 3-5 and lost his job.
7 - Gardner Minshew - We all know what he did for the Pirate
6 - Dru Brown - Hawaii to Oklahoma State - 2 year starter at Hawaii. Redshirted at OSU
5 - Tyler Wiegers - Iowa to Eastern Michigan - 5 appearances in 3 years at Iowa. Starter at EMU, 171 of 265 for 1887 yards, 11 TDs and 3 INTS. Went 7-5.
4 - Keller Chryst - Stanford to Tennesse - Former Stanford starter. Serviceable backup at UT.
3 - Alex Thomson - Wagner to Marshall - 4 appearances at Marshall
2 - Brandon Dawkins - Arizona to Indiana - Part time starter at AZ. DNP at Indiana.
1 - Wilton Speight - Michigan to UCLA - Former Michigan starter. Became UCLA starter in late October. Went 126 of 208 for 1527 yards, 6 TD and 6 INTs. Went 2-4.

Real mixed bag. Lots of guys who never played who continued not to play. 7 appear to have become starters at some point in the season - most doing ok. Minshew, Morgan, and White did very well.

msstate7
07-02-2019, 09:11 AM
Most of those transferred down so I didn't recognize them but I just randomly looked up Brady White who transferred to Memphis. He led the AAC in passing and was tied with Drew Locke at 20th in the nation in TDs. That is pretty good. I would bet most of the guys was at least as good or better than any QB on the roster which is the important part.

Getting Stevens doesn't hurt unless KT transfers and was actually the better QB. I doubt that is the case at least in Moorhead's offense unless KT has gotten drastically better from the Spring game. I am not going to check but I imagine you have several posts during or after the spring game saying we are screwed because KT can't complete more than 50% of his passes.

This seems to be a case of you just finding a reason to shit on Moorhead instead of saying he did a great job to get a QB to give us a better chance at success and the QB is possibly pretty damn good.

I'm like the least concerned person you'll find on completion %. I think it's pretty terrible metric to judge a qb on.

BTW, I said we should pursue tommy in January bc clifford would win the job

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?72161-Felipe-franks&highlight=stevens

Franks stuck around though... he's the one we really needed.

I posted that thread bc it shows I'm not anti-Stevens like I'm being painted. I just really believe in the odds and success rate for graduate transfers is something I was interested in

msstate7
07-02-2019, 09:14 AM

19 - Shawn Stankavage - Vandy to Rice - threw 1 pass at Vandy. At Rice he went 124 of 219 for 1328 yards, 10 TD 10 INT - Rice Sucked, he seemed serviceable.
17 - Jeff George, Jr - Illinois to Pitt - went from starter who lost job to not playing (proving his Jeff George's son)
16 - James Morgan - Bowling Green to FIU - serviceable QB at BGU. Lit up FIU for 213 of 326 for 2727 yards, 26 TDs and 7 int, went 8-3.
13 - Evan Shirreffs - Miami to Charlotte - Played in 3 games at Miami. Played in 5 at Charlotte
12 - Alex Malzone - Michigan to Miami U. (OH) - No appearances at Michigan. 2 games at Miami.
11 - Quinten Dormady - Tennesse to Houston - 13 games over 3 seasons at UT. 1 games at Houston
10 - Jalan McClendon- NCSU to Baylor - 14 appearances in 3 seasons at NCSU. Played 9 games at BU, 55 of 91 for 715, 3 TD and 3 INT
9 - Brady White - ASU to Memphis - 2 appearances in 3 seasons at ASU. Lit up Memphis with 246 for 392, 3296 yards, 26 TDs and 9 INT. Went 8-6
8 - KJ Carta-Samuels - Washington to Colorado State - 15 appearances in 3 seasons at Washington. Won starting job at CSU, went 183 for 298 with 2261 yards, 19 TDs and 9 INT, went 3-5 and lost his job.
6 - Dru Brown - Hawaii to Oklahoma State - 2 year starter at Hawaii. Redshirted at OSU
5 - Tyler Wiegers - Iowa to Eastern Michigan - 5 appearances in 3 years at Iowa. Starter at EMU, 171 of 265 for 1887 yards, 11 TDs and 3 INTS. Went 7-5.
4 - Keller Chryst - Stanford to Tennesse - Former Stanford starter. Serviceable backup at UT.
2 - Brandon Dawkins - Arizona to Indiana - Part time starter at AZ. DNP at Indiana.
1 - Wilton Speight - Michigan to UCLA - Former Michigan starter. Became UCLA starter in late October. Went 126 of 208 for 1527 yards, 6 TD and 6 INTs. Went 2-4.

Real mixed bag. Lots of guys who never played who continued not to play. 7 appear to have become starters at some point in the season - most doing ok. Minshew, Morgan, and White did very well.

Thanks

Tbonewannabe
07-02-2019, 09:14 AM

This made the whole thing worth it.

So it looks like most QBs at least improved the team they went to at the QB position. Isn't that the entire point? It is only a detriment if Stevens is a worse QB and it runs off KT. Even then if Stevens gives us a better chance this year at a better record then it is worth it. It seems like Mayden and Shrader might be better suited for Joe's offense. Joe has stated that the best passer is the guy who will start.

Tbonewannabe
07-02-2019, 09:17 AM
I'm like the least concerned person you'll find on completion %. I think it's pretty terrible metric to judge a qb on.

BTW, I said we should pursue tommy in January bc clifford would win the job

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?72161-Felipe-franks&highlight=stevens

Franks stuck around though... he's the one we really needed.

I posted that thread bc it shows I'm not anti-Stevens like I'm being painted. I just really believe in the odds and success rate for graduate transfers is something I was interested in

Ok, I apologize. I just assumed you were trying to crap on Stevens. You have to admit that assuming you are being negative about anything to do with Moorhead is probably a safe assumption. At the end of the day, we all want Moorhead to be successful but some are worried due to the Croom affect which is completely understandable. When you wander in the desert for 5 years looking for competitive football and finally find it for a decade, you don't ever want to go back to those Croom level teams.

msstate7
07-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Ok, I apologize. I just assumed you were trying to crap on Stevens. You have to admit that assuming you are being negative about anything to do with Moorhead is probably a safe assumption. At the end of the day, we all want Moorhead to be successful but some are worried due to the Croom affect which is completely understandable. When you wander in the desert for 5 years looking for competitive football and finally find it for a decade, you don't ever want to go back to those Croom level teams.

I'm not worried about going to croom level. I think joe is a much better coach. I'm concerned we downgraded from Mullen.

Tbonewannabe
07-02-2019, 09:33 AM
I'm not worried about going to croom level. I think joe is a much better coach. I'm concerned we downgraded from Mullen.

We will see. Joe was at least universally regarded as a good coach. That doesn't necessarily mean he will be successful but he was actually a safer bet than when we hired Mullen initially. We had to hire someone and you would want to hire the guy you thought long term would be the best. We might have hired a coach that was more suited to coaching last year's offense but he also probably wouldn't have had that level of success on defense and long term might not be the answer. Hopefully Joe is but if not, at least he is recruiting as well as Mullen ever did. As long as he doesn't stumble up against a crap team (which he dominated last year) and we maintain around 7-8 wins then we at least aren't worse off.

Jack Lambert
07-02-2019, 09:42 AM
We are having this discussion but isn't Stevens the only non four star scholarship QB on our roster?

gravedigger
07-02-2019, 10:05 AM

So it looks like most QBs at least improved the team they went to at the QB position. Isn't that the entire point? It is only a detriment if Stevens is a worse QB and it runs off KT. Even then if Stevens gives us a better chance this year at a better record then it is worth it. It seems like Mayden and Shrader might be better suited for Joe's offense. Joe has stated that the best passer is the guy who will start.

yes, it's the point, but you have to start with someone who is not only good at running and throwing but someone who knows how to distribute the ball within the perameters of what Joe's offense calls for. In this case, it's a 1 year bridge to the freshman most likely. Not saying Mayden cant do it. Just saying that all of us saw that talent doesnt make one able to execute this particular offense. It takes some understanding of the roles of each rb and receiver.

The thing about Tommy is not just that he has experience in it. He has experience in it as being a wide out, a qb and a quasi running back taking handoffs.

I'm sure Tommy is realistic about his shot as an nfl qb and that it's kinda low, but this is his only shot to earn it. Along the way, my bet is he can slide into the wr position to help Mayden and Shraeder improve. This is like getting another qb coach on the field as much as it is someone who will march the team down the field.

1bigdawg
07-02-2019, 10:26 AM
We are having this discussion but isn't Stevens the only non four star scholarship QB on our roster?

Yes.

Lord McBuckethead
07-02-2019, 10:51 AM
Yes.

I still think KT is the guy. Just think about this.
Last year, if KT played the entire season, we still would have won 8 games with the bowl game and KT would have 14 games under his belt. With Staley and that other guy bailing on us, it forced us to not use KT's redshirt year. KT is a very young true Junior on the field.

Now I hope both KT, Mayden, Shrader, and Stevens comes in and play awesome. I hope they all are basically either Brett Favre or Cam Newton out there. If Mayden isn't going to get a shot at QB, I want him somewhere else on the field. That conversation needs to take place. We need athletes on the field that can catch the ball.

Tbonewannabe
07-02-2019, 11:16 AM
I still think KT is the guy. Just think about this.
Last year, if KT played the entire season, we still would have won 8 games with the bowl game and KT would have 14 games under his belt. With Staley and that other guy bailing on us, it forced us to not use KT's redshirt year. KT is a very young true Junior on the field.

Now I hope both KT, Mayden, Shrader, and Stevens comes in and play awesome. I hope they all are basically either Brett Favre or Cam Newton out there. If Mayden isn't going to get a shot at QB, I want him somewhere else on the field. That conversation needs to take place. We need athletes on the field that can catch the ball.

Also you can think about the fact that if KT redshirts this year then he would be on the same track as Dak was on (starting as a redshirt sophomore only due to injury). Now I imagine Joe would put KT in at times if he plays this year either at QB or catching the ball but if he redshirts then he still has 2 possible years to start. Most QBs just start for 2 years in college. It is getting more common for QBs to come in as freshmen or sophomores but most of those guys are either high level guys or starting out of necessity.

BrunswickDawg
07-02-2019, 11:33 AM

As a former Falcons fan, I couldn't pass that up

Dolphus Raymond
07-02-2019, 11:47 AM
Best ED thread in a while.

RougeDawg
07-02-2019, 12:19 PM
Stevens is the guy. Get behind him.

Pretty sure the story behind him leaving was how Franklin and staff mismanaged and misled him during an injury. Franklin does not exactly come off as a standup citizen.

GreenheadDawg
07-02-2019, 01:10 PM

Early indications are that we did downgrade. Mullen is good coach and most of us took him for granted, including me.

BB30
07-02-2019, 02:53 PM

How many of those guys transferred to a school that ran an offense that he had already been in?

I'm sure several of the grad transfers on that list were starting over in a relatively new offense. If there is one bright side it's the fact that Stevens has been in the offense before and should be a bit ahead of the game.

msstate7
07-02-2019, 02:55 PM
How many of those guys transferred to a school that ran an offense that he had already been in?

I'm sure several of the grad transfers on that list were starting over in a relatively new offense. If there is one bright side it's the fact that Stevens has been in the offense before and should be a bit ahead of the game.

It's certainly a unique situation, and it gives tommy a much better chance of succeeding than the normal grad transfer.

TrapGame
07-02-2019, 03:23 PM
Early indications are that we did downgrade. Mullen is good coach and most of us took him for granted, including me.

Yeah, well, Mullen took us for granted too.

BrunswickDawg
07-02-2019, 03:27 PM

I'd say it is not unusual:
Minshew was at ECU - Scottie Montgomery was from the Cutcliffe tree, was OC at Duke. So not an air raid guy.
Stankavage was at Vandy - and Bloomgren at Rice was at Stanford with Derek Mason under David Shaw - so probably some crossover
Morgan was at BGU under Mike Jinks and went to FIU under Butch Davis. Jinks was RB coach at Texas Tech under Kingsbury and his OC came from under Leech. Don't know much about Butch's offenses - but he is an old Frank Broyles guy.
White was at ASU under Graham - an Air Raid type and moved to Norvell at Memphis. Norvell coached under Graham at Tulsa. So probably some lots of cross over.
Carta-Samuels was under Peterson at UW, and Bobo at CSU. Don't think much cross over there.
Weigers and Speight went from pro-style to pro-style - not a big learning curve.

MarketingBully
07-02-2019, 04:01 PM

Once Franklin did what he did he had no choice. He didn?t want Stevens to go.

TrapGame
07-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Once Franklin did what he did he had no choice. He didn?t want Stevens to go.

I think Franklin wanted his cake and eat it too. In other words he felt the other QB was a little better but he wanted Stevens to stay to have that reliable back up that win games.

msstate7
07-02-2019, 04:20 PM
I think Franklin wanted his cake and eat it too. In other words he felt the other QB was a little better but he wanted Stevens to stay to have that reliable back up that win games.

Yeah, I think you have it right

RiverCityDawg
07-03-2019, 06:40 AM
I'm sure Tommy is realistic about his shot as an nfl qb and that it's kinda low, but this is his only shot to earn it. Along the way, my bet is he can slide into the wr position to help Mayden and Shraeder improve. This is like getting another qb coach on the field as much as it is someone who will march the team down the field.

He's 6-5 240, can run, has a cannon for an arm, he's about to start for an SEC team and he's getting big praise from important people down at the Manning camp. I guarantee he doesn't think his chances at the NFL as a QB are low. College football players at this level are supremely confident, particularly when they know they have a good opportunity in front of them.

As for the second part of this, are you saying he's going to move to WR at some point this year and Mayden or Shrader will be the QB? Zero percent chance that happens. Maybe I'm confused by what you're saying. Stevens will be the QB the entire season, barring injury. I think there's just a tiny chance he's not the QB (1%) and if he's not it will be because KT took the largest leap of development from one year to the next that we've seen.

MaroonFlounder
07-03-2019, 08:35 AM
Yeah, well, Mullen took us for granted too.

^^^this.

Whether Moorhead succeeds at MSU or not, I'm ok as long as he's not job-hunting by mid November every year like Mullen was.

Johnson85
07-03-2019, 08:45 AM

He may have just been dealing with two potential transfer risks and made a choice based on the next two years. Name Stevens as the presumptive starter and risk Clifford transferring out. Not name Stevens as the presumptive starter after the way he handled his injury and risk Stevens transferring out. If you're Franklin, if you lose Clifford, you have to have a new QB ready to start in 2020. He may not have anybody that he feels comfortable will be ready at that point. Lose Stevens, you have Clifford for 2019 and 2020 and have until 2021 to develop the next starter (barring injury), which is as much time as any coach can ask/hope for.

No clue if Clifford would have been a transfer risk since he'd already redshirted and was going to be a Junior, but maybe he was close to graduating.

MarketingBully
07-03-2019, 09:47 AM

Clifford isn’t better then Stevens and he changes what their offense can do as he is not a run threat at all. As that Executive Director stated, he couldn’t believe Franklin let Stevens go. Maybe Franklin wanted to dictate that he wanted to move away from having a mobile QB. Who knows but telling Stevens to have the surgery when he did so he missed both bowl prep and spring practice was just foolish on Franklin and his staff’s part. Time will always tell but hey Franklin’s dumb ass decisions have benefited at least us and Oregon (got 5 star WR Johnson).

msstate7
07-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Clifford isn’t better then Stevens and he changes what their offense can do as he is not a run threat at all. As that Executive Director stated, he couldn’t believe Franklin let Stevens go. Maybe Franklin wanted to dictate that he wanted to move away from having a mobile QB. Who knows but telling Stevens to have the surgery when he did so he missed both bowl prep and spring practice was just foolish on Franklin and his staff’s part. Time will always tell but hey Franklin’s dumb ass decisions have benefited at least us and Oregon (got 5 star WR Johnson).

If there's one thing I know, it's you are much better qualified to know who is better between Clifford and Stevens than franklin. You may be right, but you have nothing to base this on. In limited playing time last year, Clifford had a 399.7 passer rating. Sure that's going to go waaaay down, but I think franklin knows more about both than you.

gravedigger
07-03-2019, 10:02 AM
He's 6-5 240, can run, has a cannon for an arm, he's about to start for an SEC team and he's getting big praise from important people down at the Manning camp. I guarantee he doesn't think his chances at the NFL as a QB are low. College football players at this level are supremely confident, particularly when they know they have a good opportunity in front of them.

As for the second part of this, are you saying he's going to move to WR at some point this year and Mayden or Shrader will be the QB? Zero percent chance that happens. Maybe I'm confused by what you're saying. Stevens will be the QB the entire season, barring injury. I think there's just a tiny chance he's not the QB (1%) and if he's not it will be because KT took the largest leap of development from one year to the next that we've seen.

Well, I mean that he knows he's a multi position player and he didnt win the starting job at Penn State. He knows this is his chance at qb, but he's got the ability to play multiple positions in the NFL. I probably shouldnt have said 'low'.

No, I'm not saying he will actually move to those positions. I'm saying he will be able to help with those positions learn their jobs and in some mop up time or trick play, could line up that way if we needed him to. Defenses would have to respect that.

My overall point is that he ads a role as a coach for multiple offensive positions due to his use at Penn State.

MarketingBully
07-03-2019, 10:29 AM
If there's one thing I know, it's you are much better qualified to know who is better between Clifford and Stevens than franklin. You may be right, but you have nothing to base this on. In limited playing time last year, Clifford had a 399.7 passer rating. Sure that's going to go waaaay down, but I think franklin knows more about both than you.

This will be proven this fall so we shall see. Clifford is a pro style QB with very limited running ability and they are running an RPO offense. Not the best situation.

Tbonewannabe
07-03-2019, 10:49 AM
This will be proven this fall so we shall see. Clifford is a pro style QB with very limited running ability and they are running an RPO offense. Not the best situation.

Is he Tyler Russell running or Aaron Rodgers? How limited are we talking about? If you give him 5-10 yards every play or is it 10-15?

Jack Lambert
07-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Also you can think about the fact that if KT redshirts this year then he would be on the same track as Dak was on (starting as a redshirt sophomore only due to injury). Now I imagine Joe would put KT in at times if he plays this year either at QB or catching the ball but if he redshirts then he still has 2 possible years to start. Most QBs just start for 2 years in college. It is getting more common for QBs to come in as freshmen or sophomores but most of those guys are either high level guys or starting out of necessity.

With the new red shirt rule just save him until 4 games left.

Tbonewannabe
07-03-2019, 03:24 PM
With the new red shirt rule just save him until 4 games left.

Very true, I forgot about that.

maroonmania
07-03-2019, 07:15 PM

And you really have nothing to base yours on either. You make a BIG assumption that Franklin orchestrated this situation and had it work out just the way he wanted by letting Stevens transfer. Its just as likely that Franklin was trying to keep both guys reasonably happy so that neither would transfer. And I say that because every report just said that Franklin would not name Stevens as the starter, I've not heard or read once that he actually had named Clifford the starter before Stevens left. Franklin didn't know how well Stevens would come back from his injury after missing all bowl practices and Spring practice, and to end up with Clifford transferring would have lost out on a possible 2 year starter versus the 1 year he would get out of Stevens. I would be willing to bet Franklin was hoping to keep both guys if at all possible.

msstate7
07-03-2019, 07:22 PM
And you really have nothing to base yours on either. You make a BIG assumption that Franklin orchestrated this situation and had it work out just the way he wanted by letting Stevens transfer. Its just as likely that Franklin was trying to keep both guys reasonably happy so that neither would transfer. And I say that because every report just said that Franklin would not name Stevens as the starter, I've not heard or read once that he actually had named Clifford the starter before Stevens left. Franklin didn't know how well Stevens would come back from his injury after missing all bowl practices and Spring practice, and to end up with Clifford transferring would have lost out on a possible 2 year starter versus the 1 year he would get out of Stevens. I would be willing to bet Franklin was hoping to keep both guys if at all possible.

Where in the world did you come up with this fantasy? I'm not franklin, but I bet he wanted to have Clifford as his starter with tommy in the same role he's been in there for 3 years. I've never said franklin wanted Stevens to transfer... pure horse crap!

maroonmania
07-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Where in the world did you come up with this fantasy? I'm not franklin, but I bet he wanted to have Clifford as his starter with tommy in the same role he's been in there for 3 years. I've never said franklin wanted Stevens to transfer... pure horse crap!

Not wanted him to transfer but was more than willing to let him transfer because you are making the assumption that you believe Franklin thinks Clifford is better and wants him to start but was hoping to keep Stevens around. Seems several are making this assumption. All we really know is that Franklin wouldn't guarantee either the starting job after Spring.

msstate7
07-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Not wanted him to transfer but was more than willing to let him transfer because you are making the assumption that you believe Franklin thinks Clifford is better and wants him to start but was hoping to keep Stevens around. Seems several are making this assumption. All we really know is that Franklin wouldn't guarantee either the starting job after Spring.

Which is what Stevens said he required to stay. If franklin thought Stevens was the better qb, don't you think he'd do what it took to keep him

maroonmania
07-03-2019, 07:35 PM
Which is what Stevens said he required to stay. If franklin thought Stevens was the better qb, don't you think he'd do what it took to keep him?

Franklin doesn't seem the type to be pressured or blackmailed into anything. Franklin obviously didn't think Stevens was enough better than Clifford, if at all, to give in to demands. The other complicating issue is all the time Stevens lost to injury while Clifford was out there with the team. Stevens wasn't the incumbent starter so Franklin probably didn't feel like he was owed any kind of guarantee coming off the injury.

msstate7
07-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Franklin doesn't seem the type to be pressured or blackmailed into anything. Franklin obviously didn't think Stevens was enough better than Clifford, if at all, to give in to demands. The other complicating issue is all the time Stevens lost to injury while Clifford was out there with the team. Stevens wasn't the incumbent starter so Franklin probably didn't feel like he was owed any kind of guarantee coming off the injury.

Fair enough

Captain Falcon
07-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Again, Stevens can be worse than Clifford and still be the best QB on our roster right now. I have no idea how good Stevens, Clifford, or Thompson are at the current moment, but if Stevens is the best one wearing maroon then I couldn’t care less how the QB battle at Penn State would’ve played out.

Todd4State
07-03-2019, 08:05 PM
No one is talking about the fact that Franklin mishandled Stevens injury last year. It has to be hard to give a coach the benefit of the doubt in that situation if you are Stevens and he tells you that you have to compete for the job after all of that.

maroonmania
07-03-2019, 08:19 PM
Again, Stevens can be worse than Clifford and still be the best QB on our roster right now. I have no idea how good Stevens, Clifford, or Thompson are at the current moment, but if Stevens is the best one wearing maroon then I couldn’t care less how the QB battle at Penn State would’ve played out.

True, I've never seen Clifford play one down of football. He could be even better than McSorley for all I know.

99jc
07-03-2019, 08:31 PM

I know we downgraded!

MaroonFlounder
07-04-2019, 10:02 AM
I know we downgraded!

BS. MSU will never beat Bama with a run-based spread. You beat Bama by stretching the field with some semblance of a downfield threat. Moorhead brings that if he gets his guys in here. And that process is beginning.

msstate7
07-04-2019, 10:06 AM
BS. MSU will never beat Bama with a run-based spread. You beat Bama by stretching the field with some semblance of a downfield threat. Moorhead brings that if he gets his guys in here. And that process is beginning.

We should definitely hire and fire according to how we do against Bama**

MaroonFlounder
07-04-2019, 10:18 AM
We should definitely hire and fire according to how we do against Bama**

The point remains. Will there ever be another SEC West team to challenge in the West unless they can beat Bama?

Goldendawg
07-04-2019, 10:24 AM
bama (Harlem Globetrotters) and rest of the SEC (Washington Generals) has ruined college football. Their fans take the regular season for granted, waiting for the playoffs. My wife's aunt (fan from AL) told me at church she is not going to follow them this year because she is so mad at them for losing to Clemson last season. What a joke!

msstate7
07-04-2019, 10:46 AM
The point remains. Will there ever be another SEC West team to challenge in the West unless they can beat Bama?

Nope. We ain't on bama's level though, and I doubt that's changing even if we hired urban Meyer. Not saying we can't win the west, but the stars have to align and even then, we'll need some luck.

TrapGame
07-04-2019, 10:50 AM
I know we downgraded!

No, you don't.

maroonmania
07-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Sure, heck Auburn has won the West a couple of times even during the Saban run. But honestly, we probably stand very little chance while Saban is still around. Would take something really special like the 2014 year plus getting Bama at home in the same year.

Dawg2003
07-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Really doubtful, and, even if you win the East, you gotta get through Bama.

99jc
07-04-2019, 05:02 PM
No, you don't.

That's the difference between you and I. I know things and your a message board poster.

TrapGame
07-04-2019, 06:15 PM
That's the difference between you and I. I know things and your a message board poster.

LOL! Sure.

HoopsDawg
07-04-2019, 07:48 PM

He's got his guy at QB and we have a legit WR transfer. Let's see what we look like this year. I'm definitely skeptical, but I'm going into this season with an open mind.

DancingRabbit
07-05-2019, 12:44 AM
I know we downgraded!

Let's deal in facts and opinions, and label them appropriately.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/14789132/well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.jpg