PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Situation Regarding a Vandy Baseball Transfer

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2019, 01:31 PM
So you ask: why is a kid from Ohio, who was the 65th ranked recruit in America, immediately eligible when he transferred further from home?

The answer: because he was a WALK-ON at Vandy. Yes... Vandy had the 65th ranked player in America as a 17ing walk-on thus allowing him to transfer & be immediately eligible at Texas Tech.

If this doesn't tell you how out of hand their scholarship situation is I'm not sure what will. Simply ridiculous

https://twitter.com/tedcahill/status/1145754235897880577

Homedawg
07-01-2019, 01:46 PM
While I agree they have an advantage, Jake wasn't on scholarship the last two years and he was one of the best players in the country. Every school has situations like these. Now, i get it, Vandy probably has more.

Jack Lambert
07-01-2019, 01:46 PM
That free money Vandy is handing out is not fair.

msstate7
07-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Didn't Nigel knott turn down a scholarship for a grey shirt offer at Bama? Kids wanna be a part of the best programs

Saltydog
07-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Go look at Herb Street's twitter from over the weekend. Of course he's a football guy but he attributes Vandy's success directly to "culture". There's some shred of the truth in that but good lord the advantages they have is unreal. People hammered him but he's a genuine smart ass. Go take a look.

Tbonewannabe
07-01-2019, 02:03 PM
While I agree they have an advantage, Jake wasn't on scholarship the last two years and he was one of the best players in the country. Every school has situations like these. Now, i get it, Vandy probably has more.

I think his point is that they somehow got a guy as a freshman to come to Vandy as a walk on that would have according to that ranking been at least a top 5 round pick. He turned down MLB to be a walk on. Jake gave up his schollie money to help out the team, that is a big difference.

Jack Lambert
07-01-2019, 02:24 PM
I think his point is that they somehow got a guy as a freshman to come to Vandy as a walk on that would have according to that ranking been at least a top 5 round pick. He turned down MLB to be a walk on. Jake gave up his schollie money to help out the team, that is a big difference.

The bottom line is a walk on at vandy is not a walk on.

MStateDawg
07-01-2019, 02:34 PM

^^^This.
Google "Opportunity Vanderbilt" and you'll see they have a program to adjust tuition based upon a students financial situation. According to their website: "There would be no loans and no income cutoffs."
He may have been a "walk-on" in the sense that he didn't get any of the 11.7 scholarship money allocated to him, but he undoubtedly received reduced tuition thru the "Opportunity Vanderbilt" program: https://giving.vanderbilt.edu/oppvu/

Todd4State
07-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Only a matter of time before the other SEC coaches cut this off at the league wide level.

Tbonewannabe
07-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Yep, they are getting guys to walk on where we would probably have to give 0.5 or better scholarship money. Just comparing him to other guys we have gotten to come to school, other than JT Ginn, have we had anyone rated that high skip MLB?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Didn't Nigel knott turn down a scholarship for a grey shirt offer at Bama? Kids wanna be a part of the best programs

Nigel wasn't a gray shirt.

msstate7
07-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Nigel wasn't a gray shirt.

Thanks. Thought there was a breakdown here that Nigel chose a grey shirt at Bama over a scholarship here on signing day

Irondawg
07-01-2019, 03:07 PM
let's just baseball up to at least 20 full scholarships and then it will be a mostly even playing field.

3rdGen
07-01-2019, 04:41 PM
So you ask: why is a kid from Ohio, who was the 65th ranked recruit in America, immediately eligible when he transferred further from home?

The answer: because he was a WALK-ON at Vandy. Yes... Vandy had the 65th ranked player in America as a 17ing walk-on thus allowing him to transfer & be immediately eligible at Texas Tech.

If this doesn't tell you how out of hand their scholarship situation is I'm not sure what will. Simply ridiculous

https://twitter.com/tedcahill/status/1145754235897880577

Since nobody else is going to say it........ this is ****ing bullshit!!!!!!

Turfdawg67
07-01-2019, 06:07 PM

A sh*t load more... not even remotely comparable. We have a poor state (sorry if that's news to anyone) and there are a ton of kids that would skip the lower rounds of a draft if we offered a free ride, but we can't and don't. The LSUs and Vandys do and it pays huge dividends. Your Mangums and Ginns are few and far between for State.

maroonmania
07-01-2019, 08:24 PM
Go look at Herb Street's twitter from over the weekend. Of course he's a football guy but he attributes Vandy's success directly to "culture". There's some shred of the truth in that but good lord the advantages they have is unreal. People hammered him but he's a genuine smart ass. Go take a look.

This is a chicken and egg thing. Ridiculous comment about "culture". Without the scholarship advantages Vandy would still be the same mediocre baseball program they were pre-2008 when they started doing all of this 'need-based' stuff. Yea, they have culture NOW because they win like crazy. That makes culture pretty easy to cultivate.

AlSwearengen
07-02-2019, 10:34 AM

I don’t think Jake was rated all that highly coming out of h.s. and as he said, his family had the money. If his family wasn’t well off, there is a real possibility that he leaves school after his sophomore or junior year.

He would have also been taking up scholarship money his junior year for sure which may have prevented us from signing someone else.

That is why I say, you have to recruit kids that come from well off families. But, you have to avoid getting the types that olemiss gets.

The Federalist Engineer
07-02-2019, 11:23 AM
Delete

The Federalist Engineer
07-02-2019, 11:25 AM
delete

Vandy is not a NCAA team, they are a minor league team that makes a mockery of the rules

smootness
07-02-2019, 11:29 AM
While Vandy may be playing with serious advantages, and I agree they are to at least some degree...do we actually know this kid received any money from Operation Vanderbilt?

Because for him to not have used any scholarship money, Operation Vanderbilt would have had to pay everything for him. Is it not possible his family doesn't need any help and it wasn't really a consideration for them?

msstate7
07-02-2019, 11:38 AM
While Vandy may be playing with serious advantages, and I agree they are to at least some degree...do we actually know this kid received any money from Operation Vanderbilt?

Because for him to not have used any scholarship money, Operation Vanderbilt would have had to pay everything for him. Is it not possible his family doesn't need any help and it wasn't really a consideration for them?

Or possible the kid just wanted to be a part of the best program in the country? I know dang well vandy didn't give rocker what he could've gotten from mlb

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2019, 11:39 AM

Family doesn't have much money. He was on 100% opportunity Vanderbilt as the equivalent of a 5 star recruit

That's the entire reason he's eligible at Texas Tech.

smootness
07-02-2019, 01:25 PM
Family doesn't have much money. He was on 100% opportunity Vanderbilt as the equivalent of a 5 star recruit

That's the entire reason he's eligible at Texas Tech.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know that?

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2019, 01:55 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but how do you know that?

https://media1.tenor.com/images/46a4614de9b8c2a340bf076e9675b414/tenor.gif?itemid=5405668

bulldogcountry1
07-02-2019, 08:59 PM
Tuition at Vandy is $45k. I'm willing to bet all my Vcash that he ain't paying that out of pocket as a "walk on". All that means is that he's not getting an athletic scholarship. His way was getting paid by other means, no doubt about it.

If the playing field were level, there's no way Vandy could compete because they would have to give a 3/4 scholarship to a player to keep him from paying less out of pocket as a walk on at State.

ShotgunDawg
07-02-2019, 10:56 PM
College baseball just needs some kind of rule like football that "recruited players" have to be on at least 25% scholly. At least that would limit the situation at Vandy.

I'm cool with Opportunity Vanderbilt because it's ultimately a good thing for society, but when Vandy gets a legitimate, recruited player there should be some cost to the baseball program for that player just like there is at every other school.

State82
07-02-2019, 11:13 PM
College baseball just needs some kind of rule like football that "recruited players" have to be on at least 25% scholly. At least that would limit the situation at Vandy.

I'm cool with Opportunity Vanderbilt because it's ultimately a good thing for society, but when Vandy gets a legitimate, recruited player there should be some cost to the baseball program for that player just like there is at every other school.

Yep. And until some semblance of that idea is implemented in some form or fashion competing with Vandy in baseball will be the same as competing with Bama in football.