PDA

View Full Version : Coach Joe podcast interview. Mostly nuts & bolts of scouting, game prep.

DancingRabbit
06-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Interesting listen, some of the terminology over my head though.

Lord McBuckethead
06-28-2019, 10:50 PM
Hate to say it, but he scorex like a total of 12 pts in three games against sec defenses with a pulse. *** understand, that figure was pulled out of my ass, but point stands.

Lord McBuckethead
06-28-2019, 10:59 PM
Note: I say that but I am 100% behind Joe and this entire team. We could and should shock the world this season. No one is more hard core a fan of our team than I am

Goldendawg
06-29-2019, 12:00 AM
Interesting listen, some of the terminology over my head though.

Hope it's not still over the head of some players in year two and hope the play comes in with at least 6 to 10 seconds before the snap so SEC defenses can't tee off with a 3 second countdown.

RiverCityDawg
06-29-2019, 10:21 AM
Great listen for football nerds. Reading between the lines on a couple things he said, I really think there were plays and concepts he didn't even call because he knew Fitz wouldn't be comfortable running them. There's no doubt this guy knows offense and has taught it successfully everywhere except with us last year. I think him taking over as the offensive coordinator will have a huge positive impact.

Todd4State
06-29-2019, 08:14 PM
Hope it's not still over the head of some players in year two and hope the play comes in with at least 6 to 10 seconds before the snap so SEC defenses can't tee off with a 3 second countdown.

If our players are not intelligent enough to understand football terminology they shouldn't be a student at Mississippi State in the first place.

Jarius
06-30-2019, 05:10 AM
If our players are not intelligent enough to understand football terminology they shouldn't be a student at Mississippi State in the first place.

Fitz had about a month to get live reps in that system. You can do mental reps all day long but it's just different doing it in a live situation. He was put in a really tough spot and he also just isn't very good throwing the football.

BuckyIsAB****
06-30-2019, 09:37 AM

Its not a whole lot different than anything a lot of MS players are doing now days. But you have to understand that for Fitz it was English to Spanish. This kid went from the veer to throw it here if he's not open throw it away/run to making multiple reads on plays pre snap and post.

It turned out to be a lot tougher than any of us thought it would be. The injury didnt help him

Todd4State
06-30-2019, 11:53 AM
Fitz had about a month to get live reps in that system. You can do mental reps all day long but it's just different doing it in a live situation. He was put in a really tough spot and he also just isn't very good throwing the football.

Its not a whole lot different than anything a lot of MS players are doing now days. But you have to understand that for Fitz it was English to Spanish. This kid went from the veer to throw it here if he's not open throw it away/run to making multiple reads on plays pre snap and post.

It turned out to be a lot tougher than any of us thought it would be. The injury didnt help him

I was speaking more in general terms than just Fitz. Although I don't think Fitz has a very high football IQ and is immature in general.

Tbonewannabe
07-01-2019, 09:54 AM
I was speaking more in general terms than just Fitz. Although I don't think Fitz has a very high football IQ and is immature in general.

Fitz pissed off the Indians when he didn't get the mohawk. No coach could have overcame that.

TrapGame
07-01-2019, 11:32 AM

You can tell in the LSU game Fitz was in way over his head. He missed a wide open Kylin on the edge multiple times. We could have killed LSU's defense with that play until they shut it down causing a hole in the center of the field that Fitz could have manipulated the rest of the night.

Tbonewannabe
07-01-2019, 11:39 AM
I heard that Joe said the starting QB would be the one who could complete passes. He apparently had to piecemeal his offense to try and fit Fitz.

MarketingBully
07-01-2019, 11:54 AM
This offense is completely dependent on the QB more then any other offense we’ve seen. This offense to me would be a great primer for the NFL. McSorely barely beat out Stevens and they say it was even closer then what people thought. With Moorhead taking over the play calling duties, I think we will see a completely different offense then we did last year. I think we will rack up an insane amount of stats those first four games and I think we will be able to score on the tough SEC defenses as well. I would love to see the idiot defense that stacks the line and dares Stevens to throw it and he hits Zuber for a 60-70 yard bomb. The vertical game will be huge to loosen up defenses. We just didn’t have that last year with Fitz. Moorhead had to go out and get a guy he was comfortable with to run this offense and a guy who can make those plays. A comfortable play calling Moorhead is a dangerous Moorhead and a guy we all want to see.

TrapGame
07-01-2019, 12:07 PM
This offense is completely dependent on the QB more then any other offense we’ve seen. This offense to me would be a great primer for the NFL. McSorely barely beat out Stevens and they say it was even closer then what people thought. With Moorhead taking over the play calling duties, I think we will see a completely different offense then we did last year. I think we will rack up an insane amount of stats those first four games and I think we will be able to score on the tough SEC defenses as well. I would love to see the idiot defense that stacks the line and dares Stevens to throw it and he hits Zuber for a 60-70 yard bomb. The vertical game will be huge to loosen up defenses. We just didn’t have that last year with Fitz. Moorhead had to go out and get a guy he was comfortable with to run this offense and a guy who can make those plays. A comfortable play calling Moorhead is a dangerous Moorhead and a guy we all want to see.

It wouldn't surprise me if those first 4 games are really pass heavy. Then we pound the ball at Auburn to make them respect the run game with Kylin. That opens up a bomb to a wide open Zuber for a td. Then Gus starts to go all Gus the rest of the game.

MarketingBully
07-01-2019, 12:20 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if those first 4 games are really pass heavy. Then we pound the ball at Auburn to make them respect the run game with Kylin. That opens up a bomb to a wide open Zuber for a td. Then Gus starts to go all Gus the rest of the game.

Moorhead’s offense is most dangerous when you have to respect the vertical passing game. Last year we were severely limited in what we could do there so Moorhead’s offense became painfully predictable. Moorhead is best when he can call plays he’s comfortable with. You could tell Moorhead wasn’t comfortable with utilizing a QB like Fitz. Fitz just wasn’t his style of QB. Now, I have no doubts that Dak could run this system because he’s a more adaptable QB and I think was much more coachable then Fitz IMO. Fitz was just a square peg in a round hole with this offense.

BuckyIsAB****
07-01-2019, 06:35 PM
How did you guys listen to it? I clicked on the link and cant find the podcast

Homedawg
07-01-2019, 06:38 PM

What do you mean taking over the play calling duties?? He called all the plays last year!! Getsy was OC in title. He put his two cents in the game plan. But that's it.

BuckyIsAB****
07-01-2019, 06:39 PM
I found it nvm

DancingRabbit
07-01-2019, 06:41 PM
How did you guys listen to it? I clicked on the link and cant find the podcast

It slid to page 2

Try this:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/deep-dive-on-defense-game-planning-evaluating-attacking/id1216363733?i=1000442060988