BrunswickDawg
06-28-2019, 07:23 AM
I ripping off Peter Burns this morning for a slow, summer, Friday topic:

I'm going to keep this "moments of the decade" to MSU only:

Football: Beating Auburn in '14 to go to #1

WBB: Beating UCONN to go to the Finals

MBB: The Hawaiian Punch

Baseball: Mac's Walk Off at FSU

Limiting it to 1 in each is tough - what are some of y'alls favorites?

msstate7
06-28-2019, 07:25 AM
The LSU win in 2014 was sweeter to me than auburn.

BrunswickDawg
06-28-2019, 08:00 AM

That is definitely Top 5 for me - because it was so awesome. I have to admit I'm partial to the AU game because I was there (my avatar pic is from that game) and it was an awesome road trip with one of my best friends and my son, that I also got to share with other long time friends at the game. Just one of those stories we will tell for years and always be able to say we were there. Tough to beat.

I'd have my Top 5 Football from 2010-2019 as
AU '14
2013 Egg Bowl
LSU '14
@UF '10
Gator Bowl v. Michigan

StarkVegasSteve
06-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Football: Auburn '14. Everything from Gameday in the Junction, to just how full the stadium was an hour before kickoff, the absolute downpour only making the stadium louder, the celebration at the end, and I'm pretty sure I took a dip in the Cotton District Fountain that night.

MBB: A simple one for me. Beating Missouri this year and knowing that we were back in the NCAA Tournament. Q's shot to beat Vandy in 16 was a pretty cool moment too. That season was such a letdown because we started with such lofty expectations.

Baseball: The entire '18 postseason. That team was so special and just filled with a bunch of grinders. The 6 day span from McNamee was something I don't think we'll ever see again.

Todd4State
06-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Football- LSU 2014. Really started that run.

Basketball- Beating Baylor in the NIT? I'm not a big basketball fan but that one stands out to me.

Baseball- Beating Oregon State to go to the National Finals in 2013.

Prediction? Pain.
06-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Agreed. The entire 2014 season was so special that almost any of the six conference wins is a candidate for this. But LSU . . . man, that was something. First conference game of the season. Pregame "they don't know what's about to take that field" comment. Hadn't beaten them in 15 years, and hadn't beaten them at their place in over 20. And out of nowhere, we just freaking dominated. I was so indescribably happy during 3/4 of that game. But what put it over the top was the near collapse at the end. I was shaken to my core when they pulled it within a score. And I mean that literally -- I vaguely remember sitting in front of my couch on the floor rocking back and forth half-chanting some ritualistic voodoo equivalent of "don't give up the TD, don't give up the TD, don't give up the TD" on the last play of the game. Afterward, when my crazed-but-silent fist-pumping jubilation was over (my then-six-month-old daughter was asleep in the next room), I told my wife that if we had lost that game, I would have wept like a baby. And I was dead serious.

BrunswickDawg
06-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Agreed. The entire 2014 season was so special that almost any of the six conference wins is a candidate for this. But LSU . . . man, that was something. First conference game of the season. Pregame "they don't know what's about to take that field" comment. Hadn't beaten them in 15 years, and hadn't beaten them at their place in over 20. And out of nowhere, we just freaking dominated. I was so indescribably happy during 3/4 of that game. But what put it over the top was the near collapse at the end. I was shaken to my core when they pulled it within a score. And I mean that literally -- I vaguely remember sitting in front of my couch on the floor rocking back and forth half-chanting some ritualistic voodoo equivalent of "don't give up the TD, don't give up the TD, don't give up the TD" on the last play of the game. Afterward, when my crazed-but-silent fist-pumping jubilation was over (my then-six-month-old daughter was asleep in the next room), I told my wife that if we had lost that game, I would have wept like a baby. And I was dead serious.

Good stuff Pain. I love stories about why games stand out to people.

The '13 Egg Bowl was a fun one for me. My family loaded up and went to my sister's for Thanksgiving. My BIL is an UGA guy, so I took my cowbell just to be annoying and put it on the mantle of his fire place. I get up Thanksgiving morning and the "Elf on a Shelf" had arrived and wrapped itself around my bell handle. Anyone with little kids over the past decade knows, you can't touch the damn elf or your kids will freak out. Bell stayed on the mantle the whole game. When Bo fumbled I jumped up, grabbed the bell by the bell, flung the elf across the room and went out the patio door and began ringing the bell like crazy. My niece burst into tears believing I had just ruined Christmas. No elf was going to keep me from celebrating that win.

Prediction? Pain.
06-28-2019, 11:00 AM
Good stuff Pain. I love stories about why games stand out to people.

The '13 Egg Bowl was a fun one for me. My family loaded up and went to my sister's for Thanksgiving. My BIL is an UGA guy, so I took my cowbell just to be annoying and put it on the mantle of his fire place. I get up Thanksgiving morning and the "Elf on a Shelf" had arrived and wrapped itself around my bell handle. Anyone with little kids over the past decade knows, you can't touch the damn elf or your kids will freak out. Bell stayed on the mantle the whole game. When Bo fumbled I jumped up, grabbed the bell by the bell, flung the elf across the room and went out the patio door and began ringing the bell like crazy. My niece burst into tears believing I had just ruined Christmas. No elf was going to keep me from celebrating that win.

Cowbelling Dr. Bo while simultaneously ruining a small child's Christmas. +1 for you, Brunswick.

On a sort-of-but-not-really related note, my closest football friends -- two UT fans and an Auburn fan -- really enjoy the cowbell. I bring one along to our yearly booze, brisket, mountain-man getaway, and inevitably someone will grab the thing in a fit of drunken euphoria and run laps around the cabin ringing it wildly. (They're even starting to get the hang of it. For years, they couldn't figure out how to use their wrists properly. (ETA: Yeah, that doesn't sound weird or anything, does it?)) Like in '14, after we wrapped up the close one against Arkansas, Auburn pulled one out of its ass against UM. Let me tell you, man, my Auburn dude lit that TV up with some cowbell right in Bo's face.

The UT friends, on the other hand, will engage in the occasional sarcastic bell ringing after a meaningless score or turnover. Sort of an "Eff you" to Butch Jones or whatever boob they had coaching them at the time.

Football rules.

Scared_Hitless
06-28-2019, 11:15 AM
FB- Auburn to get to #1 easily for me. Gameday atmosphere and overall performance was unmatched.

WBB- Beating UCONN to make the National Title game. We slayed the Juggernaut it elevated our program more than the title would have.

MBB- Not much noteworthy here honestly, I guess beating Mizzou and knowing we were tourney bound again.

BB- The entire 2018 Postseason run, still mind blowing what that team accomplished after the start they had last season.

Dawg2003
06-28-2019, 11:41 AM
I would have to say LSU 2014, women beating UConn, baseball Macnamee's walking, men's basketball- N/A

Liverpooldawg
06-28-2019, 11:51 AM
Football: Auburn 14. That whole day was just surreal. It's THE most fun I've ever had at MSU.
WBB: The shot to beat UCONN.
MBB: Hiring Howland. That's when I knew we would eventually make it back.
Baseball: The first time I walked in the completed New Dude. It's the first athletic facility we have ever had that is unquestionably the best one in the country for its sport.

Captain Falcon
06-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Football: 2014 LSU. Happy to say I was there in person for this. Most fun I’ve ever had at a football game. We just walked in there and beat the crap out of them, and it was totally surreal when you consider how impossible beating LSU was for us for a really long time.

WBB: The UConn game. Still think that’s the greatest moment in MSU sports history outside of the game of change.

MBB: just seeing our name called on selection Sunday this year after so many years of bad basketball.

Baseball: The Top of the 9th against Stanford. One of the coolest MSU-related things I’ve ever seen.

KentuckyDawg13
06-28-2019, 02:18 PM
For this decade:

Football: Boobie's domination versus UK. Took my son to that game and prior to the start, Dixon was amped. And needless to say, he went off for that game rushing for 252 yards. Was unstoppable despite MSU's 3-4 record entering the game. "Grinding for My State" - Boobie

WBB: UConn defeat, no doubt.

MBB: Not a lot to cheer about this decade, but Zimmerman's slam over the 7 footer stands out the most. Was going to say MSU's win over UK at Rupp since I was there with my son (maybe 8 maroon shirts in the whole place), but that was 2009. That was the last time we beat UK.

Baseball: Mac's HR in the 9th inning vs Stanford. Was very emotional for him considering he wasn't drafted. And clinched World Series trip.

Covercorner2
06-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Being in Tiger Stadium in 2014 was unreal. Hard to describe. It was almost surreal until the nail biting end.

It being at their place made it even sweeter.

I had a feeling it was coming, so did the team. But, no LSU fans had a clue. It was awesome. I even had Ole Miss fans text me during the game saying how dominant we were.

The Dak stiff arm is legendary.

Tbonewannabe
06-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Football: Either LSU 2014 - I had never seen us win in Baton Rouge, AU 2014 - watching from home, or a game that I was there, 2013 Egg Bowl (Dak coming in with one arm working and scoring the TD was pure magic) or 2014 A&M.

Basketball: There have been some buzzer beaters like 2018 Baylor in the NIT. The only game I have been to in a decade was the UGA game this year that we won because someone threw a stuffed bulldog on the court so Q got to shoot another free throw.

WBB: Has to be the UConn game, Morgan will be forever immortalized with that jumper for the win. I haven't been to a game in person in a long while.

Softball: Have to be one of the wins at UF this year.

Baseball: Vandy Super Regional final. The first game Mac's walkoff landed about 2 rows and 2 seats over from my wife. The only Vandy fan in the damn section got the homerun ball. We decided to stay after the rain delay and basically drive back to Atlanta and get about an hours sleep for Monday. That was the greatest baseball series that I have ever seen and it got a scrappy bunch of overachievers to Omaha. We did get to go to the North Carolina game in Omaha and I almost passed out from the adrenaline rush when Westburg hit his grand slam. That game was good but we kind of cruised and it wasn't like the Vandy series.

Topbulldawg
06-28-2019, 08:52 PM
FB: Auburn 14, LSU 14, A&M 14, FL 10, Michigan 10

Basketball: I think just playing in the tournament this year as a 5 seed (ignoring the result)

WBB: UCONN game, but there are several other games that stick out. The South Carolina regular season game the year we beat UCONN...even though we lost, I felt that playing toe to toe with a top 4 team showed we had arrive. The Lousiville game last year in the Final Four. The TN this year this year where we completely domination TN was a great one because it showed just how far we have come. A few years ago, I would question if we would ever beat TN, and we completely blew them out.

Baseball: The Auburn game this year in the WS, Westburgs Grand Slam last year, and the 13 World Series games stick out to me when we came from behind to beat both Oregon State and Indiana.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-28-2019, 09:12 PM
MBB: Not a lot to cheer about this decade, but Zimmerman's slam over the 7 footer stands out the most.

Pretty sure that was 2002 +/- 1year....unless he did it again this past season as a grad assistant.

Tbonewannabe
06-29-2019, 06:26 AM
Pretty sure that was 2002 +/- 1year....unless he did it again this past season as a grad assistant.

Lack of basketball highlights should give him some slack.