PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele's SEC strength of schedule. Trouble for Gus and Boom?

DancingRabbit
06-27-2019, 04:57 PM
What kind of record gets Gus fired?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D-Ay6akUEAAsRk2.jpg:small

msstate7
06-27-2019, 05:47 PM
I think Gus would be scalding hot at 7-5, but probably survive. 6-6 is the tipping point imo. I think they're 8-4 or better though

TUSK
06-27-2019, 06:44 PM
I think Gus would be scalding hot at 7-5, but probably survive. 6-6 is the tipping point imo. I think they're 8-4 or better though

11-3 with a 8 year extension at $8.2M per.

Bdawg
06-27-2019, 10:13 PM

I don't think I see 8 wins. That schedule is tough.

BuckyIsAB****
06-27-2019, 11:59 PM

If what they say is true that he was almost gone a year ago, 7-5 this year and they will fire him. Then it wouldnt surprise me at all to see Lane Kiffin at Auburn in 2020

TUSK
06-28-2019, 12:28 AM
If what they say is true that he was almost gone a year ago, 7-5 this year and they will fire him. Then it wouldnt surprise me at all to see Lane Kiffin at Auburn in 2020

It'll depend on who the wins are against, Bucky... Wins vs UGA and Bammer are ~=1.5 to 2....

If he goes 8-4 and gets hammered by Bammer and UGA, he's gone provided they've gone all "JetGate", again....

Kiffin to AU would be cray cray interesting... that being said, I look at their schedule like this:

The opener is gonna tell us a lot vs Oregon... If they lose that one, GUS will be "on notice" right out the gate... I think they'll slip by OR.

I'm giving them wins in the OOC games, vs OM and @Arkie.... They will likely lose to UGA & Bammer,,,,

That leaves this stretch of games:

21-Sep at Texas A&M
28-Sep Mississippi State
5-Oct at Florida

26-Oct at LSU

He'll need to go 3-1 in that group to go 9-3.... That's gonna be tough.

Jack Lambert
06-28-2019, 07:53 AM
O Phil is a idiot and I don't value his opinion one bit.

RiverCityDawg
06-28-2019, 08:29 AM
O Phil is a idiot and I don't value his opinion one bit.

I think his SOS ranking looks pretty accurate.

South Carolina will be lucky to get 6.

Auburn could be a pretty decent team and still only win 7. Just based on schedule I think 8 is their ceiling. Would feel more comfortable betting on us winning 8 than I would them winning that many. That first game is so critical for them. I will have my popcorn ready for the meltdown that ensues if they lose to Oregon.

Lord McBuckethead
06-28-2019, 09:25 AM
Why is Alabama's so weak? They get to play UM at home twice or something.

msstate7
06-28-2019, 09:26 AM

Bc they don't play Bama

BuckyIsAB****
06-28-2019, 10:44 AM

Bama has 3 games in 2019 they might be challenged in. At A&M, at State and at Auburn. I expect them to probably win all 3 but they will roll in the rest. People will hype up LSU but they will get beat by 20 or so again. I think LSU at home this year is very beatable for us

RiverCityDawg
06-28-2019, 11:26 AM
Bc they don't play Bama

Absolutely. And also their permanent East opponent is always UT. Their rotational opponent from that side this year is South Carolina.

While we've been unlucky the last couple of years with our East opponents, Bama of course gets the breaks. I'm sure by the time Missouri circles back around to us they'll be a powerhouse** We really need UK to come back down to earth.

TUSK
06-28-2019, 12:12 PM
Re: Bammer's schedule suckin'... and it does...

1) UT still in the dumps but has to improve by default...
2) Throwin' Cuttcliffe a bone instead of our usual, "big name", neutral site opponent...
3) Home and Away slate is abnormally unbalanced...

Home Games: Duke*, NM St., USM, OM, Arkie, LSU, and W Carolina.
Road Games: USCe, A&M, MSU, and Aubie.

Bammer should be able to "name the score" in all the home games, save LSU.

Of the remaining, I'd rank em (least to most difficult) with a "way too soon", conservative guess at the line:
1) USCe - prolly be a 14-21 point line.
2) MSU - As usual, Bammer will be coming off a physical game with LSU, and MSU will have an open date after a really tough 5 game stretch (@AU, idle, @UT, LSU, @A&M, @Arkie) - ~10-17 point line.
3) LSU - both teams have open dates. - ~10-14 point line.
4) Aubie - Who the hell knows???? I'll guess ~7-10 points.

Should all that come to fruition, Bammer ~1-7 over both UGA and Clemson and they'll beat the shit outta Okie or Michigan, etc. in the Semis...

Yaaaaaay, Football Season is nigh....

FriarsPoint
06-28-2019, 08:41 PM

2) Throwin' Cuttcliffe a bone instead of our usual, "big name", neutral site opponent...

Of the remaining, I'd rank em (least to most difficult) with a "way too soon", conservative guess at the line:
2) MSU - As usual, Bammer will be coming off a physical game with LSU, and MSU will have an open date after a really tough 5 game stretch (@AU, idle, @UT, LSU, @A&M, @Arkie) - ~10-17 point line.

Should all that come to fruition, Bammer ~1-7 over both UGA and Clemson and they'll beat the shit outta Okie or Michigan, etc. in the Semis...

You mother****** have ruined college football. Before you run your mouth, I was a fraternity man on that campus. And I have to live in this state because auburn sucks, this place really doesn’t have a landed gentry, and y’all don’t know shit about cotton.

TUSK
06-28-2019, 08:45 PM
You mother****** have ruined college football. Before you run your mouth, I was a fraternity man on that campus. And I have to live in this state because auburn sucks, this place really doesn?t have a landed gentry, and y?all don?t know shit about cotton.

Are you, by chance, missing a pet?

https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/squirrel.jpg

Goldendawg
06-29-2019, 12:16 AM

So again, everyone else in the SEC just playing for one of the meaningless 100 bowls while bama coasts thru another boring regular season while waiting for the playoffs. bama = Harlem Globetrotters, remainder of college football except maybe Clemson = Washington Generals.

Tbonewannabe
06-29-2019, 06:34 AM
So again, everyone else in the SEC just playing for one of the meaningless 100 bowls while bama coasts thru another boring regular season while waiting for the playoffs. bama = Harlem Globetrotters, remainder of college football except maybe Clemson = Washington Generals.

Other than reducing a few schollies and maybe Bama's off the field staff, how would you balance it? Bama is good because they have a great coach and the best facilities which leads to great recruiting. We have those benefits in baseball but the game of baseball is just more balanced. Even saying that the last two years the most talented team has won the National Title.

RiverCityDawg
06-29-2019, 10:13 AM

Most of us in the SEC have just been playing for one of the "meaningless bowls" since the beginning of time, so I'm not sure why you and so many others seem to just now be getting board with it. College football is about the season and beating the conference rivals you play every year. If you are only invested for the sake of the National Championship it's not going to be enjoyable, particularly if you are a State fan.

Apoplectic
06-30-2019, 08:50 AM
Other than reducing a few schollies and maybe Bama's off the field staff, how would you balance it? Bama is good because they have a great coach and the best facilities which leads to great recruiting. We have those benefits in baseball but the game of baseball is just more balanced. Even saying that the last two years the most talented team has won the National Title.

think ur right - cut s/s to 52 like pros and get a handle on the army of OTF advisors. or hire jimbo since he has now overtaken them

Tbonewannabe
07-01-2019, 11:51 AM
think ur right - cut s/s to 52 like pros and get a handle on the army of OTF advisors. or hire jimbo since he has now overtaken them

Jimbo knows how everything works and A&M has more money than brains. Jimbo will probably get them to invest in the correct things like coaches and buying the best players that fit their system.