PDA

View Full Version : Gunner Halter leaving the baseball program

MetEdDawg
06-26-2019, 09:08 PM
Tweet from 24/7 says he has decided to leave the program and that the next steps are unsure. May sign a free agent contract.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 09:08 PM
Well that was fun

Dawg2003
06-26-2019, 09:16 PM
Bye

Big4Dawg
06-26-2019, 09:21 PM
Weird...

HoopsDawg
06-26-2019, 09:26 PM
Weird...

Our infield is probably set: Landon J, Westy, Foscue, Hatcher and Hancock/Hayden Jones. Whoever isn't catching will DH.

Outfield is Allen, Rowdey, and Cumbest. Only position really up for grabs would be RF and maybe a righty DH.

Transfer portal I'm looking for a pitcher and another bat. I think that's what we need to make another run. Be nice to find another JP France type out there. Hitting wise, is there a Jack Kruger type out there or is there an incoming freshman that can make an impact? We will see I guess.

MaroonFlounder
06-26-2019, 09:40 PM
So out of the guys that didn't get drafted and had eligibility left, the attrition list now includes exits by Halter, Breaux, Spring, Childers, and Williams. Anyone else?

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 09:43 PM
Our infield is probably set: Landon J, Westy, Foscue, Hatcher and Hancock/Hayden Jones. Whoever isn't catching will DH.

Outfield is Allen, Rowdey, and Cumbest. Only position really up for grabs would be RF and maybe a righty DH.

Transfer portal I'm looking for a pitcher and another bat. I think that's what we need to make another run. Be nice to find another JP France type out there. Hitting wise, is there a Jack Kruger type out there or is there an incoming freshman that can make an impact? We will see I guess.

I like how you think with the transfer portal. Seems to me like some of the transfers in college baseball come from mid majors- like France, Neff and Arkansas's leadoff hitter though and I'm not sure what is realistically out there. Might end up with more of a David Hayman type of power hitter- a guy that has power but strikes out a lot and doesn't hit for a high average.

We probably could use some established bullpen help too. I bet we could find some of that in the portal.

Ginn may figure in at third base, right field, or DH so I could see that being a possibility if he can hit.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 09:45 PM
So out of the guys that didn't get drafted and had eligibility left, the attrition list now includes exits by Halter, Breaux, Spring, Childers, and Williams. Anyone else?

Bill Williams is going to be a student.

KOdawg1
06-26-2019, 09:53 PM
Halter is an interesting case because pro teams were interested in him as a pitcher, but he never pitched an inning for us.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 09:56 PM
Halter is an interesting case because pro teams were interested in him as a pitcher, but he never pitched an inning for us.

The way I see it he might as well come back and get his degree from somewhere because no matter when he goes pro he's going to get about the same amount of bonus money. Unless he shows up and starts throwing 105 or something crazy like that.

Homedawg
06-26-2019, 09:59 PM
I like how you think with the transfer portal. Seems to me like some of the transfers in college baseball come from mid majors- like France, Neff and Arkansas's leadoff hitter though and I'm not sure what is realistically out there. Might end up with more of a David Hayman type of power hitter- a guy that has power but strikes out a lot and doesn't hit for a high average.

We probably could use some established bullpen help too. I bet we could find some of that in the portal.

Ginn may figure in at third base, right field, or DH so I could see that being a possibility if he can hit.

I just can't see any way Ginn plays third. No way to protect his arm. He's gonna be a starter so that rules that out. Dh is the only option. As I've said before, if he hits in the fall and spring I'm sure we'd play him, if he helps us. But we aren't sticking him out there just because.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 10:02 PM
I just can't see any way Ginn plays third. No way to protect his arm. He's gonna be a starter so that rules that out. Dh is the only option. As I've said before, if he hits in the fall and spring I'm sure we'd play him, if he helps us. But we aren't sticking him out there just because.

I'm 100% good with him playing DH. I know the coaches had talked to him about playing third at one point in time though. I'm fine with Landon Jordan or maybe someone like Kamren James if he can hit playing there next year.

MaroonFlounder
06-26-2019, 10:13 PM
Bill Williams is going to be a student.

Are we talking about the same kid? Basiel. From Louisiana?

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 10:23 PM
Are we talking about the same kid? Basiel. From Louisiana?

No- outfielder from Gluckstadt.

And I embarrassingly got his name wrong- Ben Bell is who I am talking about.

Saltydog
06-27-2019, 07:57 AM
He could definitely contribute next year but he probably knows Landon Jordan will start over him. He would be a good backup utility infielder and he's got a great arm. With what we have leaving out of the bullpen he might've been an option next year. He had some big hits for us late in the year.

shoeless joe
06-27-2019, 08:07 AM
No- outfielder from Gluckstadt.

And I embarrassingly got his name wrong- Ben Bell is who I am talking about.

He wasn’t a d1 guy anyway. Was always puzzled by that one.

basedog
06-27-2019, 08:08 AM
Good luck to Halter. Sorry it didn't work out for you at Msu.

Tbonewannabe
06-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Kruger and Lowe were huge Juco gets for our SEC Championship team.

The Federalist Engineer
06-27-2019, 09:43 PM
Kruger and Lowe were huge Juco gets for our SEC Championship team.

We need a JP France and a Zach Neff type transfer. According to MSU Baseball Fan, we have multiple graduate transfers interested in us.

Another JP France would be huge

Todd4State
06-27-2019, 10:01 PM
We need a JP France and a Zach Neff type transfer. According to MSU Baseball Fan, we have multiple graduate transfers interested in us.

Another JP France would be huge

Agree. Really could use two healthy JP France's.