PDA

View Full Version : How College Baseball is Covered Makes My Skin Crawl

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2019, 07:27 PM
Just a big pet peeve of mine, but people that cover college baseball are still in the business of promoting the sport instead critiquing the sport.

The CWS is covered like the Little World Series, & I've yet to see Kendall Rogers say a coaching hire by a school was bad.

Everything is positive, skittles & rainbows, & ESPN is trying to sell people on the sport instead of covering it like they do college football or basketball.

SEC baseball coaches therefore have the greatest jobs on the planet.

Due to the conference's superiority, they naturally recruit at a high level, have very little if any scrutiny from the media, make 500K-1 mil per year, & have a built in excuse to losing known as, "It's just baseball" (which is a legit excuse but an excuse nonetheless)

Just frustrated to see a sport that we all love so much & treat as a big 3 sport on par with basketball, covered in such a juvenile, amateur fashion.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 08:00 PM
ESPN doesn't cover MLB much better.

Sunday- Yankees/Red Sox
Monday- Cubs/Braves
Weds- Yankees/Red Sox
Friday- Yankees/Red Sox
Saturday- Yankees/Pirates but we'll discuss implications on Yankees/Red Sox.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 08:31 PM
College baseball is much better than the MLB to me. MLB really isnt even worth a watch till September/October, and then its football time so. 162 games is entirely too many

shoeless joe
06-26-2019, 08:42 PM
I said something similar the other day. ESPN goes out of their way NOT to show any arguments or broohaha during the game. Which is crazy because to most of us that?s part of the entertainment.

Saban chewing ass in the sideline wouldn?t be covered near the same if it was in baseball

shoeless joe
06-26-2019, 08:51 PM
College baseball is much better than the MLB to me. MLB really isnt even worth a watch till September/October, and then its football time so. 162 games is entirely too many

MLB is just so different than college. To me the MLB season is close to perfect. Could prolly Stand to go back to 154. But it?s the summer past time. And if you follow the season the end and flows are extremely entertaining. But then again I?m a baseball guy thru and thru so of course I think that.

msstate7
06-26-2019, 08:54 PM

Not even close. The skill level of mlb players is amazing

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 09:10 PM
Not even close. The skill level of mlb players is amazing

Oh I agree they are unreal. But regular season MLB baseball is pretty boring. 162 games makes every game feel pretty meaningless

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 09:11 PM
MLB is just so different than college. To me the MLB season is close to perfect. Could prolly Stand to go back to 154. But it?s the summer past time. And if you follow the season the end and flows are extremely entertaining. But then again I?m a baseball guy thru and thru so of course I think that.

I just dont understand the need for that many games. They play the longest pre season schedule in sports too its just too much

msstate7
06-26-2019, 09:13 PM
Oh I agree they are unreal. But regular season MLB baseball is pretty boring. 162 games makes every game feel pretty meaningless

I can see that. I'm an absolute fanatic for the braves though, so I love it. I don't really care about AL games

Commercecomet24
06-26-2019, 09:15 PM

Agree completely. Been the soundtrack of my summers for years. Even in the 70's and 80's before we ever had cable I listened to games on the radio. Baseball runs deep.

msstate7
06-26-2019, 09:16 PM
Agree completely. Been the soundtrack of my summers for years. Even in the 70's and 80's before we ever had cable I listened to games on the radio. Baseball runs deep.

I still listen to 25-30 brave games a year on radio. I love baseball on the radio

Commercecomet24
06-26-2019, 09:17 PM
I still listen to 25-30 brave games a year on radio. I love baseball on the radio

Same here. Love it!

Commercecomet24
06-26-2019, 09:18 PM

We lived in Arizona for 5 years when I was a kid and I listened to vin scully do Dodgers games every night that I wasn't playing. Vin was the best!

maroonmania
06-26-2019, 11:13 PM
I don't know but I'm convinced the best solution to the inequities of baseball is to take 6 to 8 scholarships away from football and give them to baseball. This would do nothing to impact Title IX and it would actually make football more competitive rather than always knowing that before football starts that its going to be 2 of about 3 or 4 teams in the NC game every year. Heck, football teams can get by with 75 to 80 scholarships and signing 22 a year with no problem. If you limit the Clemson and Alabamas to more like 22 signees a year that puts a lot of additional good players out there for everyone else. For baseball, it makes the game much more equitable and fair because you wouldn't need nearly as many of these "supplemental" scholarships that allow a school like Vandy to have twice as many players on full scholarship as most D1 teams just because they are rich schools with no obligations to the State taxpayers.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 11:36 PM
I don't know but I'm convinced the best solution to the inequities of baseball is to take 6 to 8 scholarships away from football and give them to baseball. This would do nothing to impact Title IX and it would actually make football more competitive rather than always knowing that before football starts that its going to be 2 of about 3 or 4 teams in the NC game every year. Heck, football teams can get by with 75 to 80 scholarships and signing 22 a year with no problem. If you limit the Clemson and Alabamas to more like 22 signees a year that puts a lot of additional good players out there for everyone else. For baseball, it makes the game much more equitable and fair because you wouldn't need nearly as many of these "supplemental" scholarships that allow a school like Vandy to have twice as many players on full scholarship as most D1 teams just because they are rich schools with no obligations to the State taxpayers.

I don't think scholarships have to be taken away from any sport.

Step 1- Split baseball into two divisions like football.

Step 2- Give the teams in division one 25 scholarships and a third assistant. Stop penalizing Mississippi State and Arkansas because Quinnapiac doesn't care about baseball and doesn't want to spend money it.

Step 3- Increase season to 60 games and have the CWS Finals coincide with the Fourth of July or near the Fourth. Make it baseball's version of New Year's Day.

Step 4- Allow teams to play up to five exhibition games the week before the season starts.

Jarius
06-26-2019, 11:45 PM
Kendall Rogers on twitter defending Vandy’s unfair scholarship advantage is nauseating.

Todd4State
06-27-2019, 01:41 AM
Kendall Rogers on twitter defending Vandy’s unfair scholarship advantage is nauseating.

Yeah. I can't figure that one out.

ShotgunDawg
06-27-2019, 03:34 AM

Of course he does because he doesn't want to offend anyone. He doesn't want Corbin mad at him.

It's just brutal that serious journalists are missing in this sport.

msu15
06-27-2019, 07:38 AM
ESPN doesn't cover MLB much better.

Sunday- Yankees/Red Sox
Monday- Cubs/Braves
Weds- Yankees/Red Sox
Friday- Yankees/Red Sox
Saturday- Yankees/Pirates but we'll discuss implications on Yankees/Red Sox.

And they're making a mistake? Wrong

RocketCityDawg
06-27-2019, 08:17 AM
And they're making a mistake? Wrong

This will probably get them the most ratings. I agree, but they're not covering the sport very well.

BB30
06-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Eh college baseball is pretty meaningless to the rest of the country and imo that is why you get poor coverage.

I may be wrong(wouldn’t be the first time) but i think the women’s CWS has more viewers than the men’s.

Nobody cares about college baseball outside of the south. There may be a few hundred Michigan fans that could have named a player on their baseball team before they made the CWS.

I’m sure the analysts/broadcasters also don’t want to talk to bad about hires etc. because they need a good relationship with the coaching staffs. These guys spend time with players and coaches off the field quite a bit and I’m sure that access would be restricted if you started digging a coach bad on a broadcast.

What bad hires would you want Kendall to point out?

BB30
06-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Baseball coaches catch just as much scrutiny in the sec as our football coaches do by the fanbases etc. I mean we have guys on here dogging Lemonis after he won 50+ games and took the team to a CWS in his first year. I assure you they have quite a bit of pressure on them to win.

coachnorm
06-27-2019, 10:02 PM

Outside of the Southeast, college baseball is irrelevant. Look at UCLA beating us years ago and you will see UCLA barely had a thousand viewers at their games at times. Few locals would watch that team on television, if available, and the news of UCLA winning the CWS was forgotten soon after. Mississippi State and others in the region keep college baseball alive while the rest of the country is disinterested thus the scholarship proposal would not carry any weight Nationwide.

TALL DAWG
06-29-2019, 04:43 PM
Same here. Love it!

True dat. Huge Cardinal fan here and still listen to 40-50 games per yr on KMOX. Jack Buck and Mike Shannon in 80s, 90s and 2000s were one of the best combos ever on radio for baseball. Great voices and they knew the game. Vic Scully (Dodgers) and the guy for Phillies (who's name escapes me) were TOP SHELF also.
Nothing like....watching....a mlb game through radio voices...:).

Jarius
06-30-2019, 05:13 AM
Outside of the Southeast, college baseball is irrelevant. Look at UCLA beating us years ago and you will see UCLA barely had a thousand viewers at their games at times. Few locals would watch that team on television, if available, and the news of UCLA winning the CWS was forgotten soon after. Mississippi State and others in the region keep college baseball alive while the rest of the country is disinterested thus the scholarship proposal would not carry any weight Nationwide.

Every single sport in the NCAA loses money except for a few football and basketball programs. Baseball deserves to get what all of those shitty women's (and many men's) sports that no one gives a shit about gets at a minimum. It's ridiculous.