PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Football Attendance

wild_dawg
06-26-2019, 09:31 AM
Looking at the map of season tickets still available, season tickets are definitely down, but I wouldn't call it dramatic. It seems to be on trend with the rest of the country. This is one the best home schedules we've had. Our only sleeper is Abilene Christian, and that is homecoming. I'm curious to see what yall think attendance will be like this year. I think LSU and Alabama will be sell outs but I'm not sure about the rest, it really depends on how the season goes. I'll be at all of the home games regardless, they are the best seven days of the year. Hail State!

RiverCityDawg
06-26-2019, 09:57 AM
Looking at the map of season tickets still available, season tickets are definitely down, but I wouldn't call it dramatic. It seems to be on trend with the rest of the country. This is one the best home schedules we've had. Our only sleeper is Abilene Christian, and that is homecoming. I'm curious to see what yall think attendance will be like this year. I think LSU and Alabama will be sell outs but I'm not sure about the rest, it really depends on how the season goes. I'll be at all of the home games regardless, they are the best seven days of the year. Hail State!

I think we'll trend like other programs. Big games will be well attended. Kentucky and KSU games will be okay but not great. Abilene will be 70% full at the start and 40% full by halftime. It's a sign of the times.

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2019, 10:13 AM
If I had to take a stab at the actual attendance it'd probably be:

USM-45K
KSU-45K
UK-55K
LSU-60K
Bama-Sellout
ACU-40K at kick, 25K by start of 3rd quarter
OM-55K

Attendance is down overall everywhere. We are lucky to have a pretty good home schedule this year. It's just way more convenient to watch on TV nowadays than actually go to the game, especially for families with young kids.

Jack Lambert
06-26-2019, 10:15 AM
All I know is I got the seats I have been waiting for.

Jack Lambert
06-26-2019, 10:16 AM

USM-45K
KSU-45K
UK-55K
LSU-60K
Bama-Sellout
OM-55K

Attendance is down overall everywhere. We are lucky to have a pretty good home schedule this year. It's just way more convenient to watch on TV nowadays than actually go to the game, especially for families with young kids.

the start time is killing the USm and KSU.

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Agreed. If those were night games, they'd both be over 50K. UK scares me that it could also be an 11 AM kick. And if it is, it's probably only 50K at it.

sleepy dawg
06-26-2019, 10:23 AM

USM-45K
KSU-45K
UK-55K
LSU-60K
Bama-Sellout
OM-55K

Convenience is only a small part. There just aren't nearly as many people that care enough to watch anymore. More and more people are becoming facebook fans. They want to win, but not many will actually sit down to watch a whole game and root for the their team.

msstate7
06-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Convenience is only a small part. There just aren't nearly as many people that care enough to watch anymore. More and more people are becoming facebook fans. They want to win, but not many will actually sit down to watch a whole game and root for the their team.

Or pay an arm and a leg to take your family to a game

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2019, 10:29 AM

It is getting more and more expensive to take a family to the game. And some people just don't see the payoff of it. And if you're just a casual fan, then unless you're sitting in premium sitting it's much more likely you're going to sit at home

RiverCityDawg
06-26-2019, 10:39 AM

For KSU yes, but Southern will be the first home game, so I think people will be excited to get back. Plus Southern will bring their 10s of fans, which will help. And it's at 2:30, so not like it's at 11am. Obvious 6pm would be better, but this way people might come who just want to make a pretty easy day trip out of it without getting back after midnight.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 10:42 AM

This is definitely the case. A lot easier to just turn it on and porchgate all day than it is to go. I used to go to every game, even after games on friday nights. Not so much anymore. Last year was the first time ever I didnt go to a single game

BrunswickDawg
06-26-2019, 11:04 AM
It is getting more and more expensive to take a family to the game. And some people just don't see the payoff of it. And if you're just a casual fan, then unless you're sitting in premium sitting it's much more likely you're going to sit at home

I think the secondary ticket market is starting to make an impact on season ticket sales. A huge number of fans can't make a commitment to season tickets - either financially or just the actual time of blocking out 6 weekends. And why do it if you can find seats that meet your budget and allow you to make a decision about attendance as late as the morning of the game? I think you will see a big shift away from full blown season tickets being the driving force behind attendance at a lot of schools in the near future. People will still pay premiums for access and amenities - like the Gridiron Club - but won't care as much about the seat that may or may not go with it.

Jarius
06-26-2019, 11:12 AM
The USM and Kansas State games will be well attended because USM is the home opener and we will be undefeated when we play Kansas state. What we do at Auburn will determine the other home game attendance.

msstate7
06-26-2019, 11:18 AM
Here's stubhub breakdown (price is cheapest tix):
Usm - $29 (5,823 available)
KSU - $7 (4,393)
Kentucky - $22 (6,664)
LSU - $55 (4,277)
Bama - $71 (5,333)
AC - $6 (5,504)
OM - $49 (4,163)

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-26-2019, 11:21 AM

It all depends on how well we are doing of course.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 11:32 AM
I expect USM will be the best non conf team we play all year. Their defense is going to be one of if not the best in their league. I think they could beat KSU

Dawg2003
06-26-2019, 11:47 AM
The only game I'm considering attending is the Egg Bowl. For the other home games, it's either too hot, or I've got work commitments.

wild_dawg
06-26-2019, 11:57 AM

USM-45K
KSU-45K
UK-55K
LSU-60K
Bama-Sellout
OM-55K

Im thinking

USM: 50K
KSU- 50K
UK: 57K
LSU: Sellout
Bama: Sellout
ACU: 45K
OM: 58K

It really just depends how we are doing and for the earlier games weather can play a big factor.

Jack Lambert
06-26-2019, 02:42 PM
Im thinking

USM: 50K
KSU- 50K
UK: 57K
LSU: Sellout
Bama: Sellout
ACU: 45K
OM: 58K

It really just depends how we are doing and for the earlier games weather can play a big factor.

Being Thanks Given is going to hurt a sell out no matter where it is played.

Captain Falcon
06-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Kentucky is Bulldog Bash weekend so that should help that crowd. USM and K-State crowds will really be hurt by the start times, those both could?ve been nice crowds if they were night games.

LSU and Alabama will be big crowds unless we are just terrible. Egg Bowl will have an OK crowd unless we are just terrible. Abilene Christian may be our lowest attended game since the Croom era.

3rdGen
06-26-2019, 03:03 PM
All I know is I got the seats I have been waiting for.

Hell yeah Jack!

StarkVegasSteve
06-26-2019, 03:07 PM
Kentucky is Bulldog Bash weekend so that should help that crowd. USM and K-State crowds will really be hurt by the start times, those both could?ve been nice crowds if they were night games.

LSU and Alabama will be big crowds unless we are just terrible. Egg Bowl will have an OK crowd unless we are just terrible. Abilene Christian may be our lowest attended game since the Croom era.

1) Please someone explain to me why Bulldog Bash is UK weekend? Seems like it would make sense to put it LSU weekend or wait later in the year and make it Bama.

2) It will probably be on par with the BYU game 2 years ago. There might've been 35K in the stands at kickoff and that's being generous.

bulldawg28
06-26-2019, 04:04 PM
This is definitely the case. A lot easier to just turn it on and porchgate all day than it is to go. I used to go to every game, even after games on friday nights. Not so much anymore. Last year was the first time ever I didnt go to a single game

You're slacking

timotheus
06-26-2019, 06:51 PM
We all are doing the TV on saturday deal more. heck after a friday nite high school game, some of us are just sapped. an 80" screen is nice.

maroonmania
06-26-2019, 07:38 PM

There are so many reasons NOT to actually go to games its ridiculous. Especially for a fanbase that has to travel as far as most of our fans do to attend games.

1. Rising ticket prices
2. Rising parking prices
3. hotel costs
4. gas costs
5. Horrible kickoff times to accommodate TV
6. EVERY game available on HD TV in your own living room
7. Home games getting scheduled on family holidays (ie. Thanksgiving)
etc.

These days you have to REALLY enjoy the home game experience to give the time and money to buy season tickets especially if you don't live very near campus.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 08:35 PM
You're slacking

I had been to every home game for a long time for a while before that. I've earned it.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 08:35 PM
We all are doing the TV on saturday deal more. heck after a friday nite high school game, some of us are just sapped. an 80" screen is nice.

It is way easier. Run to the store grab a case and some charcoal and fire the grill up at 11 am

Goldendawg
06-26-2019, 09:51 PM
Personally, I think it is time to go to 9 SEC games in the regular season. Much more interesting and many OOC games are not worth the time and $ needed for the trip. JMO.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 09:59 PM
There are so many reasons NOT to actually go to games its ridiculous. Especially for a fanbase that has to travel as far as most of our fans do to attend games.

1. Rising ticket prices
2. Rising parking prices
3. hotel costs
4. gas costs
etc.

These days you have to REALLY enjoy the home game experience to give the time and money to buy season tickets especially if you don't live very near campus.

But....but...I was told that scheduling the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving was the best idea ever circa 2012 and it would be great exposure for MSU.********

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 10:00 PM
Personally, I think it is time to go to 9 SEC games in the regular season. Much more interesting and many OOC games are not worth the time and $ needed for the trip. JMO.

I agree about the 9 SEC games. Drop the mandatory P5 game and just add a SEC game.

I have 10x more interest in watching USM, Tulane, Memphis, heck....La Tech than I do watching Kansas State.

99jc
06-26-2019, 10:08 PM
damn this thread is depressing...I might bust Moorhead's chops but I go to every game home and away! I cant wait to go to the superdome. Everyone can afford to go to 1 game a year unless they live in Maine or California. And if you say you cant post less and get you job flipping burgers. Just joking Hail State!

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2019, 10:31 PM
But....but...I was told that scheduling the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving was the best idea ever circa 2012 and it would be great exposure for MSU.********

I think it is good national exposure bc its one of the only games on. I think it belongs on Thanksgiving. I'd say a lot of TV sets around the country tune that game on that normally wouldnt

bulldawg28
06-26-2019, 10:54 PM
I had been to every home game for a long time for a while before that. I've earned it.

I'm kidding my man.

maroonmania
06-26-2019, 10:55 PM
I think it is good national exposure bc its one of the only games on. I think it belongs on Thanksgiving. I'd say a lot of TV sets around the country tune that game on that normally wouldnt

The exposure isn't worth much any more as its now up against an NFL game on Thanksgiving night. Plus we get plenty of exposure these days that we never got back in the 90s when we originally started doing it. Either way though, its mostly a royal pain in the ass for fans actually trying to work the logistics to go to the game on a holiday that most spend with their families (unless you happen to live in the Golden Triangle). But apparently the SEC nor our athletic administration give a crap.

Bothrops
06-27-2019, 12:19 AM
I see a good bit of people that are inclined to stay home and not attend games. Not a good plan if you want the University to enhance DWS and the game day experience.

DawgFromOxford
06-27-2019, 08:27 AM
The fact is, if the team wins, and wins consistently, people will show up. Yes it can be expensive and be a hassle to get to games, but it becomes "worth it" to more people if they know they are going to show up and have an enjoyable time capped off by a MSU win. When you mix in high prices, long hot/cold days, inconvenient times, AND the possibility that we don't live up to expectations, that's why ticket sales drop off. Moorhead left a lot of skepticism in the air for people after last season. Win games and the other factors become less important.

wild_dawg
06-27-2019, 08:45 AM
I see a good bit of people that are inclined to stay home and not attend games. Not a good plan if you want the University to enhance DWS and the game day experience.

Exactly. It's not like we are a team that is going 2-10 and not competitive. This is an eight win team this year with an opportunity to win more. I don't know about the rest of yall but I take a lot of pride in our game day atmosphere, it is really special. I would hate to see it diminish. I know for a fact the university is doing everything it can to improve the logistics of a game day, but there is only so much you can do. When it comes to ticket prices and donations, I agree that it is high. But if we want nicer facilities, its just part of it.

Maroonthirteen
06-27-2019, 09:36 AM

1. Rising ticket prices
2. Rising parking prices
3. hotel costs
4. gas costs
etc.

All this..... but I’d say

1. Ridiculous kickoff times that aren’t set until the week of in some cases.
2. Ticket prices

People just aren’t going to pay $50-100 for a ticket in advance, not knowing If they can go. Especially when the game is on tv and there is a secondary market to grab a ticket last minute if your schedule allows you to go.

msu15
06-27-2019, 10:38 AM
I'll be there

BuckyIsAB****
06-27-2019, 11:23 AM
The exposure isn't worth much any more as its now up against an NFL game on Thanksgiving night. Plus we get plenty of exposure these days that we never got back in the 90s when we originally started doing it. Either way though, its mostly a royal pain in the ass for fans actually trying to work the logistics to go to the game on a holiday that most spend with their families (unless you happen to live in the Golden Triangle). But apparently the SEC nor our athletic administration give a crap.

I understand that. But I still just think its a tradition. I wouldnt pitch a fit if they moved it back I just think its a pretty cool thing to have it on that night

Maroonthirteen
06-27-2019, 12:23 PM
I understand that. But I still just think its a tradition. I wouldnt pitch a fit if they moved it back I just think its a pretty cool thing to have it on that night

When was it a tradition? In the 70s and 80s and most of the 90s it was always on Saturday. Hell im pretty sure I’m the 80s it was on the Saturday before thanksgiving. But anyway...

Like dude said, when we started. There was the exposure angle. But now the game is opposite an nfl game. Also we would be televised on the Saturday after too

Maroonthirteen
06-27-2019, 12:28 PM
I bet USM has more fans in Starkville this year for the game than we had in oxford last year. What a pitiful showing that was by us fans.

BuckyIsAB****
06-27-2019, 12:33 PM
It looked like a pretty good crowd of maroon on TV but I wasnt there

Maroonthirteen
06-27-2019, 12:41 PM
It looked like a pretty good crowd of maroon on TV but I wasnt there

Y’all haze me. But I was at the SCar/OM game and egg bowl. SCar filled the visiting sections and we did not. We did have a few more fans scattered around the west side.

StarkVegasSteve
06-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Y’all haze me. But I was at the SCar/OM game and egg bowl. SCar filled the visiting sections and we did not. We did have a few more fans scattered around the west side.

There's a large percentage of our fans that won't step foot in Oxford because of the way they've been treated at past Egg Bowls. I know my dad and brother are both in that crowd. And we had a pretty good crowd there. Obviously it thinned a little after we started beating down on them after half, but I thought we had a very good showing.

Dawg2003
06-27-2019, 03:17 PM
I will not go to Oxford for an Egg Bowl. I flat out refuse and know others who feel the same.

Goldendawg
06-27-2019, 06:01 PM
I agree about the 9 SEC games. Drop the mandatory P5 game and just add a SEC game.

I have 10x more interest in watching USM, Tulane, Memphis, heck....La Tech than I do watching Kansas State.

Heck, I no longer like playing the Abeline Christian and similar OOC opponents.

Goldendawg
06-27-2019, 06:02 PM
damn this thread is depressing...I might bust Moorhead's chops but I go to every game home and away! I cant wait to go to the superdome. Everyone can afford to go to 1 game a year unless they live in Maine or California. And if you say you cant post less and get you job flipping burgers. Just joking Hail State!

Family will be there again 8 strong for 50 plus years of season tickets. Hail State!

BuckyIsAB****
06-27-2019, 08:17 PM
Heck, I no longer like playing the Abeline Christian and similar OOC opponents.

I have said for a while to ditch those games and play them during the spring. Then you can add another P5 opponent or non P5. Or you could just add another conference game. The FCS games are 9 times out of 10 over by halftime and you dont learn much about either team

RougeDawg
06-27-2019, 10:38 PM

And deal with the incompetent people managing flow on and off campus and flow into the stadium gates. One would think we could actually figure out these two simple items, but I see no improvements.