PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting and the impact of the head coach

Irondawg
10-24-2013, 03:02 PM
With all the incessant threads on Hud and how we need him to combat Freeze in recruiting i started to think about how large an impact the HC actually makes on recruits these days. Not being personally tied to any top recruits to get inside scoop, I have no real idea. But unless we're talking any coach other than Saban, I'd have to guess not that much.

Seems that it really comes down to how much a schools restricts its boosters and how much the local boosters are willing to do for a certain player in most cases. There are of course exceptions as location, prestige of school and opportunity for PT do play factors.

But specific to us the general consensus is that Freeze is a top recruiter (and I have heard from several second hand reports that he is very good with the in-home visits) and Mullen sucks. But what about Mullen's predecessor?

Considering Croom was the ONLY and FIRST black coach in the SEC at the time, was a decent public speaker which i would assume translated that he wasn't horrible on in-homes, and came with a NFL pedigree from the second or third most popular franchise in the area at the time, he should have easily been able to draw a couple of top recruits his first couple of recruiting classes. Instead they were worse than we were used to. Why? Did the boosters not support him? Did he not let them? Was he just outright terrible when talking to recruits and their families?

By comparison to Croom's classes, Mullen is a recruiting machine (except for the OL issues).

So how would you rate the importance of the HC when compared to boosters and other factors?

RougeDawg
10-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Freeze's recruiting starts before he is even aware. Those boosters start adopting and forking our cash in junior high to players they think will be studs. It's just a fact that the OM boosters do the majority if the recruiting. CJ Johnson approves this message.

Political Hack
10-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Croom fell asleep on a recruit's couch.

MarketingBully01
10-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Yes, he fell asleep on a recruit's couch. I don't care who you are that is the worst thing I have ever heard of what a coach did on a recruiting trip. He gets an F for recruiting just on that alone.

MarketingBully01
10-24-2013, 04:11 PM
Yeah, it doesn't matter who Ole Miss has as a head coach and what their record is they $eem to be able to get recruits. Even off 4-8 and 2-10 seasons, they got players. That tells me cheating is what cheating does. Heck, CJ Johnson's lainerd was ripped off at a game and he still ended up there. That is dedication.

Irondawg
10-24-2013, 04:29 PM
yeah that might be the worst story of croom's tenure, but then magically the 2009 class started shaping up. Wasn't that when it was rumored he went all Blue Chips and the boosters do their thing a little more since he realized he had to play the game?

Irondawg
10-24-2013, 04:29 PM
I guess the point I'm getting at is that for the most part does it matter who our coach is versus what kind of work the booster do in the field?