msstate7
06-24-2019, 06:11 PM
How did I not know Michigan coach came from vandy? Go blue

msstate7
06-24-2019, 06:15 PM
Ump already missed a huge call, and the ncaa didn't review

Cooterpoot
06-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Two schools with connected coaches and scholarship loopholes.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 06:17 PM

We complaining about Michigan now, really?

Cooterpoot
06-24-2019, 06:17 PM
Michigan has kids from all over the country. They’ve recruited.

Cooterpoot
06-24-2019, 06:18 PM
We complaining about Michigan now, really?

No, just stating facts. And the odd coincidence that is the coaching connection.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 06:22 PM
Michigan has kids from all over the country. They’ve recruited.
Perfect game rankings...
2017 - <100
2018 - 58th
2019 - 39th

Cooterpoot
06-24-2019, 06:25 PM
Perfect game rankings...
2017 - <100
2018 - 58th
2019 - 39th

Looks like they’ve improved with the new staff. They know how to get it done.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 06:26 PM
Looks like they’ve improved with the new staff. They know how to get it done.

I'd say. That coach is gonna be a hot commodity

dawgs
06-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Michigan is just hot at the right time and had the weak side of the bracket. UCLA was good, but obviously a bit overrated, probably more like a regular regional host, not national seed, much less a #1 overall seed.

I'd rather vandy win it than watch another bullshit "doesn't care at all about baseball" school on par with Fresno st and coastal Carolina win a natty before us. Vandy isn't bama-football level, but another natty from them won't change anyone's perception of anything, whereas Michigan will just grind my gears that yet another crappy to mediocre program wins a natty while we STILL haven't.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Michigan is just hot at the right time and had the weak side of the bracket. UCLA was good, but obviously a bit overrated, probably more like a regular regional host, not national seed, much less a #1 overall seed.

I'd rather vandy win it than watch another bullshit "doesn't care at all about baseball" school on par with Fresno st and coastal Carolina win a natty before us. Vandy isn't bama-football level, but another natty from them won't change anyone's perception of anything, whereas Michigan will just grind my gears that yet another crappy to mediocre program wins a natty while we STILL haven't.

They've already won 2. They have 8 CWS appearances (including this one).

chef dixon
06-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Michigan winning the natty would be a joke, but that happens in baseball

msstate7
06-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Michigan winning the natty would be a joke, but that happens in baseball

They were preseason #20. If they win it, they'll have beaten #1 and #2 in a best of 3 in postseason. They will deserve it if they win it

msstate7
06-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Wanna be sick? Michigan has scored more in 2 innings than we scored on vandy in 18 innings. They're facing fellows who shut us out

RocketDawg
06-24-2019, 06:51 PM
Wanna be sick? Michigan has scored more in 2 innings than we scored on vandy in 18 innings. They're facing fellows who shut us out

Too bad Vandy didn't play so poorly when we played them. Maybe Michigan is just "that good".

BuckyIsAB****
06-24-2019, 06:58 PM
I hate baseball. Vandy is playing the worst they have played all year. Kind of like us

Skydawg1
06-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Quick research: Lemonis was 4-4 against Bakich.

2015 1-3
2016 DNP
2017 3-1
2018 DNP
**2019 2-1 - **Lemonis coached State this year obviously but the team he left took 2 of 3 from Michigan.

RocketDawg
06-24-2019, 08:32 PM
Vandy is not looking good. That was a min-sized home run.

Homedawg
06-24-2019, 08:43 PM

Every school can have scholarship loopholes. If you offer it to the entire student body. We just don't happen to be wealthy enough to do what they do. We do what we can. It's not changing so might as well stop complaining about it. Hell they didn't get enough votes for a third coach. You think you are going to get additional scholarships??? That costs way way more. Sucks. Sucks bad.

RougeDawg
06-24-2019, 08:55 PM
I will not cry is Michigan wins it all. I despise Vandy.

DownwardDawg
06-24-2019, 08:56 PM
Man I hope they beat Vandy!!!!!

msstate7
06-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Delete

Dawg2003
06-24-2019, 09:10 PM
I actually want Michigan to win it all. I'm just so damn tired of hearing about Vandy. Also I just think it would be funny if a 4 seed won the whole thing. I would feel better about us not winning it.

MarketingBully
06-24-2019, 09:15 PM

Their last CWS appearance though was 1984. This guy isn?t going to build a power house at Michigan. This is more like 2008 Fresno State then some new power house this coach is building. If he was smart he?d use this as a jumping point to get a big boy job in baseball.

msstate7
06-24-2019, 09:17 PM
Their last CWS appearance though was 1984. This guy isn?t going to build a power house at Michigan. This is more like 2008 Fresno State then some new power house this coach is building. If he was smart he?d use this as a jumping point to get a big boy job in baseball.

This attitude is why it'll be hard for us to ever compete in football

MarketingBully
06-24-2019, 09:19 PM
This attitude is why it'll be hard for us to ever compete in football

It’s the truth. They have no facilities and they are in the north.

Cowbell
06-24-2019, 09:21 PM
It?s the truth. They have no facilities and they are in the north.

Our great facilities sure are nice since we are home watching from them...

MarketingBully
06-24-2019, 09:25 PM
Our great facilities sure are nice since we are home watching from them...

They haven’t been to the CWS since 1984 and my guess is it will probably be 10-15 more years for them to get back to this point. They were one of the last four in to get a bid in the NCAA tournament. We have an elite baseball program. Hell if this were college basketball we’d of had a natty by now. Baseball is a weird unpredictable sport. It’s why Fresno State and Coastal Carolina have national championships and we don’t.

smootness
06-25-2019, 07:43 AM
They haven’t been to the CWS since 1984 and my guess is it will probably be 10-15 more years for them to get back to this point. They were one of the last four in to get a bid in the NCAA tournament. We have an elite baseball program. Hell if this were college basketball we’d of had a natty by now. Baseball is a weird unpredictable sport. It’s why Fresno State and Coastal Carolina have national championships and we don’t.

Michigan was underrated coming into the tournament because of their competition, and they're picking it up at the right time. This isn't a fluke, this is a really good team.

And Bakich looks like he's a great coach. I'm not saying he'll build a power, but he's definitely building something real, and was starting to turn Maryland around before that. Same coaching tree as O'Sullivan and Corbin. There are definitely limitations to being in the Big Ten, but they're starting to take baseball more seriously. Michigan, Indiana, Nebraska...if they can get a few teams near the bottom to start taking it more seriously, they could have a decent conference.

I still think Vandy will win. Fellows is the worst of their 3 SPs, IMO. I think Rocker will shut them down for the most part, then it will go to Game 3, where I like Vandy. But Michigan is for real.

smootness
06-25-2019, 07:44 AM
Also I just think it would be funny if a 4 seed won the whole thing.

They're a 3. Doesn't really make a huge difference, just clarifying.

Cooterpoot
06-25-2019, 09:35 AM

You’re wrong. They’re using the same scholarship loophole Vandy is using. Their recruiting as improved exponentially since the new staff arrived. Michigan will be pretty good.

dawgs
06-25-2019, 09:58 AM

Eh, I don't think about trophies won 2+ decades before I was alive to know about it.

Doggie_Style
06-25-2019, 10:00 AM
You’re wrong. They’re using the same scholarship loophole Vandy is using. Their recruiting as improved exponentially since the new staff arrived. Michigan will be pretty good.

If you are actually willing to look at the math, Vanderbilt's financial aid/scholarship program for baseball is not that advantageous from a bottom line money standpoint.

https://www.anchorofgold.com/2019/5/30/18645077/opportunity-vanderbilt-an-explainer

Cooterpoot
06-25-2019, 10:04 AM
That article is pretty much horse shit. Using that loophole has elevated every program that’s done it. But, if a school has the money, I don’t have a problem with them using it.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 10:05 AM
This Michigan team is no fluke. This team is talented and they know how to play the game. I've watched since their first game at Oregon State. They have speed power they play excellent defense and they're aggressive. Their pitchers pound the strike zone and know how to pitch. Bakich knows how to coach. This team is no fluke.

Doggie_Style
06-25-2019, 10:12 AM
That article is pretty much horse shit. Using that loophole has elevated every program that’s done it. But, if a school has the money, I don’t have a problem with them using it.

Explain the horseshitness of the article then....otherwise you just sound whiney....as I found out the hard way, there isn't much financial aid available for kids whose parents make a decent living.

msstate7
06-25-2019, 10:13 AM
Eh, I don't think about trophies won 2+ decades before I was alive to know about it.

Throw those out, and they've still surpassed our best finish ever with the win last night

Scared_Hitless
06-25-2019, 10:29 AM
Good Coach, Good Pitching, Good blend of speed and power. This Michigan team seems like the real deal, also the pitcher last night has been downright filthy in the postseason. His stuff is not even close to overpowering, he has great control and unlike most college players can locate 3 pitches that include a Changeup it is a great equalizer.

dawgs
06-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Throw those out, and they've still surpassed our best finish ever with the win last night

So over the last 40 years, who is the better program? The whole point about them winning last night is they are a mediocre program in the modern college baseball environment, definitely behind us in every single measure of a successful program except this year they got hot at the right time and are on the cusp on a natty. Makes it hurt worse that we haven't been able to get hot at the right time and have it carry all the way thru the CWS. The odds of us winning a natty in football or basketball are slim to none, but we should have some baseball trophies by now and every time someone else, especially a program with no real support or facilities (comparably speaking) and a mediocre history for my entire lifetime, gets to celebrate one it pisses me off more.

smootness
06-25-2019, 11:37 AM
Explain the horseshitness of the article then....otherwise you just sound whiney....as I found out the hard way, there isn't much financial aid available for kids whose parents make a decent living.

Right, so you find really talented baseball players who are open at all to college and whose parents don't make a ton...and boom, you have a bunch of kids essentially on full scholarship without it counting for baseball.

smootness
06-25-2019, 11:39 AM
So over the last 40 years, who is the better program? The whole point about them winning last night is they are a mediocre program in the modern college baseball environment, definitely behind us in every single measure of a successful program except this year they got hot at the right time and are on the cusp on a natty. Makes it hurt worse that we haven't been able to get hot at the right time and have it carry all the way thru the CWS. The odds of us winning a natty in football or basketball are slim to none, but we should have some baseball trophies by now and every time someone else, especially a program with no real support or facilities (comparably speaking) and a mediocre history for my entire lifetime, gets to celebrate one it pisses me off more.

Eh, I don't know if you can say we should have one by now. We certainly could have one or two, but it's not like we've been knocking on the door so much, it's just insane that we don't have one.

Dawg2003
06-25-2019, 11:41 AM
The same loophole is available to us.

msstate7
06-25-2019, 11:42 AM
I never said they were a better program. Florida st is one of the best programs in the country, and they don't have one

smootness
06-25-2019, 11:43 AM
The same loophole is available to us.

Not to the baseball program. Sure, the school could do it, but they're not going to create that just so the baseball program has an easier time.

DownwardDawg
06-25-2019, 12:22 PM
Not to the baseball program. Sure, the school could do it, but they're not going to create that just so the baseball program has an easier time.

We need to try to do everything we can. We need to put “most” of our eggs in the baseball basket. This is the sport we could potentially dominate in.

dawgs
06-25-2019, 01:23 PM
I never said they were a better program. Florida st is one of the best programs in the country, and they don't have one

Florida state has football. I don't give a shit about their dirty athletic program either. I only care about MSU winning one and I'm tired of watching vandy and Oregon st turn into national powers over the last 15 years, and I'm tired of watching coastal Carolina and Fresno st fluke into championships.

3rdGen
06-25-2019, 02:18 PM
Florida state has football. I don't give a shit about their dirty athletic program either. I only care about MSU winning one and I'm tired of watching vandy and Oregon st turn into national powers over the last 15 years, and I'm tired of watching coastal Carolina and Fresno st fluke into championships.

PREACH PREACH PREACH!!!

smootness
06-25-2019, 02:48 PM

O......k.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. You want a national title. Great. So do all of us. Turns out, it's not that easy.

MarketingBully
06-25-2019, 05:27 PM

I claim bullshit on that. Second is second whether you win a meaningless game and lose two or go 0-2. You still finish second.

MarketingBully
06-25-2019, 05:28 PM

You certainly implied it.

dawgs
06-25-2019, 06:30 PM
O......k.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. You want a national title. Great. So do all of us. Turns out, it's not that easy.

The point is that I'd rather the elite programs keep winning (vandy) until we start winning instead of root for the underdog (Michigan). Maybe once we win one, I'll be able to embrace the underdog in college baseball again, but not until then.

Skydawg1
06-25-2019, 06:44 PM
The point is that I'd rather the elite programs keep winning (vandy) until we start winning instead of root for the underdog (Michigan). Maybe once we win one, I'll be able to embrace the underdog in college baseball again, but not until then.I'm just glad this year, nobody won it that didn't have one yet (Arkansas, FSU). I'm tired of being on THAT list.

dawgs
06-25-2019, 06:58 PM
I'm just glad this year, nobody won it that didn't have one yet (Arkansas, FSU). I'm tired of being on THAT list.

F$U winning it probably would've been the least aggravating because they are long long long overdue and with martin's last year + being a 3 seed, it would've been a hell of a story. Arkansas winning it would've pissed me off more than anyone else in the field winning it.

If we weren't gonna win it, this is the order of the remainder of the teams based on who I'd prefer to see win it. Pointless list, but what is the internet if not for pointless lists.

F$U
Vandy (a natty isn't changing the trajectory of vandy's program from the course Corbin has already set)
Michigan
Tx tech/Louisville (both are similar stature programs to us in recent history without a natty and I'd like to get there before them)
Auburn
Arkansas (Auburn edges Arkansas because of butch, but don't want any other sec west programs holding a natty over our heads, especially a similar program to ours like Arkansas)

Skydawg1
06-25-2019, 07:07 PM
F$U winning it probably would've been the least aggravating because they are long long long overdue and with martin's last year + being a 3 seed, it would've been a hell of a story. Arkansas winning it would've pissed me off more than anyone else in the field winning it.

If we weren't gonna win it, this is the order of the remainder of the teams based on who I'd prefer to see win it. Pointless list, but what is the internet if not for pointless lists.

F$U
Vandy (a natty isn't changing the trajectory of vandy's program from the course Corbin has already set)
Michigan
Tx tech/Louisville (both are similar stature programs to us in recent history without a natty and I'd like to get there before them)
Auburn
Arkansas (Auburn edges Arkansas because of butch, but don't want any other sec west programs holding a natty over our heads, especially a similar program to ours like Arkansas)

I began rooting for the other bracket the moment I realized we weren't beating Vandy the first time...much less having to beat them twice to advance. Agree on FSU...I would have ok with that. Arky, hell no.

RocketDawg
06-25-2019, 07:30 PM
Rocker is pitching well for the most part, but I have a feeling this will be the last game of the college baseball season. Vandy just doesn't look sharp. And Michigan is aggressive.

RocketDawg
06-25-2019, 08:15 PM
The Whistler is really enjoying himself tonight. I don't know which one's making so much noise.

MarketingBully
06-25-2019, 08:53 PM
Rocker is pitching well for the most part, but I have a feeling this will be the last game of the college baseball season. Vandy just doesn't look sharp. And Michigan is aggressive.

Vandy is winning tonight. Michigan’s not coming back from a 4-0 deficit with Vandy’s closer and if Michigan doesn’t win it here that coach isn’t winning it at Michigan. It was what you call one of those lucky runs to the national championship series. It happens a lot. Had we not played like shit in the College World Series maybe we would have had a chance. But we played like shit and were bounced.

Skydawg1
06-25-2019, 09:49 PM
Vandy is winning tonight. Michigan’s not coming back from a 4-0 deficit with Vandy’s closer and if Michigan doesn’t win it here that coach isn’t winning it at Michigan. It was what you call one of those lucky runs to the national championship series. It happens a lot. Had we not played like shit in the College World Series maybe we would have had a chance. But we played like shit and were bounced.Michigan saved their #2 for tomorrow night, so advantage Michigan. Interesting move, but they also intentionally walked Bleday and the next guy tonight to load the bases and escaped with minimal damage. Remember, these two head coaches know each other very well.

Goldendawg
06-25-2019, 11:30 PM
O......k.

We need to rebuild the Dude asap to mirror the Michigan facility or Coastal Carolina's. Immediate national finals or championships!*** Hail State!

smootness
06-26-2019, 09:52 AM
Michigan saved their #2 for tomorrow night, so advantage Michigan.

I wouldn't say that at all. They do have both Kauffmann and Criswell available, which is great, but Hickman for Vandy has been better than both of them this year. They also have Eder fully rested and will have Raby and Tyler Brown available as well. Vandy has the slight pitching advantage in this one.

dawgs
06-26-2019, 11:39 AM
We need to rebuild the Dude asap to mirror the Michigan facility or Coastal Carolina's. Immediate national finals or championships!*** Hail State!

No, the frustration is with all the advantages we have, including pre-new dude, we still don't have a natty, while I've watched Fresno st and coastal Carolina win one in the past decade. It's just frustration talking and if we can't vent frustrations on a message board about the programs frustrating us then what's the point of message boards?

MarketingBully
06-26-2019, 12:10 PM
No, the frustration is with all the advantages we have, including pre-new dude, we still don't have a natty, while I've watched Fresno st and coastal Carolina win one in the past decade. It's just frustration talking and if we can't vent frustrations on a message board about the programs frustrating us then what's the point of message boards?

Yeah, it sucks but this has more to do with our coaches then anything else. Polk was a great coach but he never put a priority on winning the CWS nor did he understand what it took to win there. Skip Bertman did. If we exchanged coaches and Bertman was at State and Polk was at LSU we would have the five national titles and LSU would have zero. It’s all about perspective and who you have leading your program. It almost takes a win at all cost mentality to win the CWS unless you just out talent the other team and in today’s baseball that’s hard to do. You almost have to coach desperate. Every coach we coached against in this year’s CWS coached desperate and it seemed Lemonis didn’t. Every coach we coached against also took their pitchers out first sign of trouble. We didn’t. And had the third baseman not errored in the ninth we would have gone home on an 0-2 bbq mark. I hope Lemonis has learned his lesson this year in the CWS. I hope
he’s not another Polk who will get us there but won’t do crap there.

yjnkdawg
06-26-2019, 12:42 PM
The Whistler is really enjoying himself tonight. I don't know which one's making so much noise.

Sounded like Jeff Pack to me. As he is one that does the Vandy cheer or whatever it is. Preacher Franklin just whistles whenever the mood strikes him.

boonedawg
06-26-2019, 07:06 PM
All of the complaints, threats, and news articles had little effect. I guess he gets the last laugh. I'm just about to hit mute.

Turfdawg67
06-26-2019, 07:15 PM
It's like watching a Bama football game.

RocketDawg
06-26-2019, 07:22 PM
Vandy's whistler seems to be sitting right by the mic tonight. He is loud.

Homedawg
06-26-2019, 07:27 PM
He's not wide open. Hell normally it's every pitch. Yes, it's still bad annoying but not full throttle.

Turfdawg67
06-26-2019, 07:37 PM
Umps for Vandy, Vandy Whistler in full force, Michigan suddenly looking like MSU (runners in scoring position - zero hits)... game, set, match for Vandy.

maroonmania
06-26-2019, 07:55 PM
Yeah, it sucks but this has more to do with our coaches then anything else. Polk was a great coach but he never put a priority on winning the CWS nor did he understand what it took to win there. Skip Bertman did. If we exchanged coaches and Bertman was at State and Polk was at LSU we would have the five national titles and LSU would have zero. It’s all about perspective and who you have leading your program. It almost takes a win at all cost mentality to win the CWS unless you just out talent the other team and in today’s baseball that’s hard to do. You almost have to coach desperate. Every coach we coached against in this year’s CWS coached desperate and it seemed Lemonis didn’t. Every coach we coached against also took their pitchers out first sign of trouble. We didn’t. And had the third baseman not errored in the ninth we would have gone home on an 0-2 bbq mark. I hope Lemonis has learned his lesson this year in the CWS. I hope

Yep, Lemonis seems to be a great person but I'm not sure he has that IB mentality to win in Omaha. Cohen was more what we needed in that environment and was the reason he got us closer to a NC than any other coach.

Cooterpoot
06-26-2019, 08:01 PM
We didn’t have the pen to do a lot pitching wise. We were very limited. Hitting got figured out. People attacked us with breaking stuff early, then hard in, and then up and away. We had zero plate discipline and were slow to adjust.

Skydawg1
06-26-2019, 08:05 PM
Yep, Lemonis seems to be a great person but I'm not sure he has that IB mentality to win in Omaha. Cohen was more what we needed in that environment and was the reason he got us closer to a NC than any other coach.From 30 years of listening/watching to MS Baseball...I'm seeing more Polk than Cohen in Lemonis. I hope it balances out. (questionable pitching changes, or lack thereof....no major lineup changes...playing the %'s...etc) I do like the fact that he basically stayed out of the way and let this team do it's thing. (no meddling)

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 08:06 PM

Bertman and Corbin have one thing in common- they both figured out how to "game" the game at the time. Bertman used steroids and live bats and took advantage of that. Corbin uses his hardship scholarships. We've never had a coach do something like that. Cohen kind of was close when he did all of the small ball stuff in 2013.

My experience following baseball has taught me that when teams have an advantage like I'm talking about it usually brings about change to take away the advantage. For Bertman it was the bats being regulated- LSU has one National Title since 2000 and that was ten years ago. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Vanderbilt keeps winning titles that the NCAA forces schools to do away with or closely regulate "hardship scholarships" in a few years. They've done it in football.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 08:09 PM
We didn’t have the pen to do a lot pitching wise. We were very limited. Hitting got figured out. People attacked us with breaking stuff early, then hard in, and then up and away. We had zero plate discipline and were slow to adjust.

I disagree about the bullpen to a degree. We should have used Colby White about twice as much as we did- or at least as much as we used Barlow. Maybe should have used Cerentola more in the postseason as well. I'm not sure how much of that is on Foxhall vs. Lemonis though.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 08:11 PM
From 30 years of listening/watching to MS Baseball...I'm seeing more Polk than Cohen in Lemonis. I hope it balances out. (questionable pitching changes, or lack thereof....no major lineup changes...playing the %'s...etc) I do like the fact that he basically stayed out of the way and let this team do it's thing. (no meddling)

I agree. The good news is we have Cohen still around. Really the biggest thing is I just want to see the bullpen managed better and guys given an equal shot. It's not right to "trust" a guy with an ERA 5-6 over and over while "not trusting" a guy with much better numbers who is performing.

Actually sounds like Dan Mullen to me honestly.

Cooterpoot
06-26-2019, 08:20 PM
I disagree about the bullpen to a degree. We should have used Colby White about twice as much as we did- or at least as much as we used Barlow. Maybe should have used Cerentola more in the postseason as well. I'm not sure how much of that is on Foxhall vs. Lemonis though.

Agree on Whit, but we had no quality depth. Especially lefty pitching. Other than Leibelt, wasn’t a lot of development in the pen either. I’ll say it- I’m not sold on Foxhall.

BB30
06-26-2019, 08:29 PM

Nope our pen wasn’t deep enough. I could maybe give you white but cerantola wasn’t ready to contribute a pile of meaningful innings and banking on him doing so shows just how shallow our pen was.

Yes he has plus stuff but he isn’t polished yet. We had an average pen, a solid lineup and a plus weekend rotation. We were a solid CWS team but we weren’t going to out talent everyone. We had to catch some breaks along the way and had we been in the other bracket I think we would still be playing.

I would have liked to see us with a fresh 3 rotation guys vs vandy in a 3 game set. We screwed the pooch plain and simple when we lost the second game. We weren’t Oregon state( last year) or vandy type deep.

Baseball is also a finicky bi***. You have to catch a few breaks. Coastal Carolina and other underdogs have won by not beating themselves and catching breaks along the way. You can’t go make errors and hit a slump in Omaha, you have to be firing on all cylinders and contrary to popular opinion on this board that isn’t all on the coach.

Coaching has some to do with it but for the most part all they do is fill out a lineup and make some pitching decisions.

IMO the most important thing a baseball coach is asked to do or has to do is recruit and develop talent in the offseason/fall ball. Once you get to spring it’s up to the players to make the jump and a coach is just there to fill a lineup card and Make pitching changes.

Corbin is a good coach but his job is made much easier due to having 13 draft picks this year and a pile of underclassmen that will get a shot at pro ball. There were probably 20+ kids on their roster that will play professional baseball. Pretty easy to win when you have that type of talent.

maroonmania
06-26-2019, 08:44 PM

Yep, its always something. In 2013 we had the pen but only had one quality starter, ONE. And we didn't even get to use him in the championship series.

msstate7
06-26-2019, 08:49 PM
2-0 count and the Michigan kid swung at a ball shoulder high down 6 runs. What a terrible decision

Bdawg
06-26-2019, 08:58 PM
2-0 count and the Michigan kid swung at a ball shoulder high down 6 runs. What a terrible decision

Ha. Reminds me of quite a few of our ABs this post season.

msstate7
06-26-2019, 09:00 PM
Ha. Reminds me of quite a few of out ABs this post season.

To be fair, there's probably a ton of college kids that do this. Grinds my gears though

Bdawg
06-26-2019, 09:04 PM
To be fair, there's probably a ton of college kids that do this. Grinds my gears though

I'm sure, but I didn't see anyone in Omaha who was worse at this than us. Louisville was much more discipline than us. Yes it kills me too. I thought we gave starting pitchers an extra inning or two all year with our approach.

MarketingBully
06-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Nope our pen wasn’t deep enough. I could maybe give you white but cerantola wasn’t ready to contribute a pile of meaningful innings and banking on him doing so shows just how shallow our pen was.

Yes he has plus stuff but he isn’t polished yet. We had an average pen, a solid lineup and a plus weekend rotation. We were a solid CWS team but we weren’t going to out talent everyone. We had to catch some breaks along the way and had we been in the other bracket I think we would still be playing.

I would have liked to see us with a fresh 3 rotation guys vs vandy in a 3 game set. We screwed the pooch plain and simple when we lost the second game. We weren’t Oregon state( last year) or vandy type deep.

Baseball is also a finicky bi***. You have to catch a few breaks. Coastal Carolina and other underdogs have won by not beating themselves and catching breaks along the way. You can’t go make errors and hit a slump in Omaha, you have to be firing on all cylinders and contrary to popular opinion on this board that isn’t all on the coach.

Coaching has some to do with it but for the most part all they do is fill out a lineup and make some pitching decisions.

IMO the most important thing a baseball coach is asked to do or has to do is recruit and develop talent in the offseason/fall ball. Once you get to spring it’s up to the players to make the jump and a coach is just there to fill a lineup card and Make pitching changes.

Corbin is a good coach but his job is made much easier due to having 13 draft picks this year and a pile of underclassmen that will get a shot at pro ball. There were probably 20+ kids on their roster that will play professional baseball. Pretty easy to win when you have that type of talent.

Doesn’t help when everyone of our super sophs (Westburg, Allen, Foscue, Jordan) either made bad plays in the field or just plain hit like shit at the plate in the CWS. Maybe they will get it together next year at the end of the postseason and lead us to a natty. Vandy’s best team in 2013 didn’t win it but did in 2014. Maybe we will have that kind of luck.

Skydawg1
06-26-2019, 09:16 PM
//

MarketingBully
06-26-2019, 09:51 PM
So msstate7, Michigan ended up the runner up like we did in 2013. No championship. Doesn’t mean shit to me whether you go 0-2 or 1-2 you still didn’t win the Natty.

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 09:53 PM
Agree on Whit, but we had no quality depth. Especially lefty pitching. Other than Leibelt, wasn’t a lot of development in the pen either. I’ll say it- I’m not sold on Foxhall.

I'm not either. I hope it's just from it being his first year here. We need someone that will develop power arms. And I will say that typically takes time to do it right.

I don't disagree with anything really here. I do think we had more pieces that we could and should have used differently more than anything- which is why I said I disagreed to a degree (but didn't totally disagree). Pitch to contact guys like Leibelt are great at Dudy-Noble and in SEC play but they don't really play up as well in Omaha. We added some power arms in our recruiting class- but they're all freshmen and that is hardly something I want to hang my hat on.

Doesn’t help when everyone of our super sophs (Westburg, Allen, Foscue, Jordan) either made bad plays in the field or just plain hit like shit at the plate in the CWS. Maybe they will get it together next year at the end of the postseason and lead us to a natty. Vandy’s best team in 2013 didn’t win it but did in 2014. Maybe we will have that kind of luck.

Best Cardinals team I have ever seen in my life was the 2004 version. They lost in the World Series to the Red Sox. But that experience paid off in 2006 even though that team wasn't nearly as good. And those experiences also paid off some in 2011 for the players that were still around at that time.

msstate7
06-26-2019, 09:58 PM
So msstate7, Michigan ended up the runner up like we did in 2013. No championship. Doesn’t mean shit to me whether you go 0-2 or 1-2 you still didn’t win the Natty.

Ok, good deal. Happy for you

Todd4State
06-26-2019, 10:13 PM
So much for winning the SEC Tournament killing your team before the regionals.

maroonmania
06-26-2019, 10:58 PM
So much for winning the SEC Tournament killing your team before the regionals.

So apparently the worst starter Vandy had at the end of the season was the one that beat us 1-0 in the SEC tournament.

BB30
06-27-2019, 10:42 AM
Until the scholarship thing evens out we will more than likely never be the most talented team that makes it to Omaha unless we happen to luck into a pile of guys that were underrated or under scouted in highschool/late bloomers etc which is possible but not likely.

We just need to make it to Omaha as much as possible and hope we land in the right side of the bracket and catch fire at the right time. Again, so many people have talked about how much talent this team had and that we missed an opportunity to win a title but the fact is we just ran into a buzz saw in Vandy.

They probably have 4-5 pitchers on this years staff that will end up in the big leagues and several position guys that have a chance.

It’s hard to comprehend how much talent they had on that pitching staff. Every guy they ran out of the pen just about was 93+. Now velocity isn’t the end all be all and I am one that believes you don’t have to throw hard to have success even at that level. But, it sure does make life easier when you do have it. High velocity guys just have more wiggle room. They can miss more spots and get away with it at least at this level.

The SEC is a great league but the majority of hitters are not polished. If you throw hard your going to get a pile of swings on balls out of the zone especially if you have a good hard Breaking ball to go with it.

We have got to find a way to even out the scholarship stuff.

Lord McBuckethead
06-27-2019, 11:00 AM
I'm not either. I hope it's just from it being his first year here. We need someone that will develop power arms. And I will say that typically takes time to do it right.

I don't disagree with anything really here. I do think we had more pieces that we could and should have used differently more than anything- which is why I said I disagreed to a degree (but didn't totally disagree). Pitch to contact guys like Leibelt are great at Dudy-Noble and in SEC play but they don't really play up as well in Omaha. We added some power arms in our recruiting class- but they're all freshmen and that is hardly something I want to hang my hat on.

Best Cardinals team I have ever seen in my life was the 2004 version. They lost in the World Series to the Red Sox. But that experience paid off in 2006 even though that team wasn't nearly as good. And those experiences also paid off some in 2011 for the players that were still around at that time.

Jim Edmonds was my boy.

Lord McBuckethead
06-27-2019, 11:03 AM
Until the scholarship thing evens out we will more than likely never be the most talented team that makes it to Omaha unless we happen to luck into a pile of guys that were underrated or under scouted in highschool/late bloomers etc which is possible but not likely.

We just need to make it to Omaha as much as possible and hope we land in the right side of the bracket and catch fire at the right time. Again, so many people have talked about how much talent this team had and that we missed an opportunity to win a title but the fact is we just ran into a buzz saw in Vandy.

They probably have 4-5 pitchers on this years staff that will end up in the big leagues and several position guys that have a chance.

It’s hard to comprehend how much talent they had on that pitching staff. Every guy they ran out of the pen just about was 93+. Now velocity isn’t the end all be all and I am one that believes you don’t have to throw hard to have success even at that level. But, it sure does make life easier when you do have it. High velocity guys just have more wiggle room. They can miss more spots and get away with it at least at this level.

The SEC is a great league but the majority of hitters are not polished. If you throw hard your going to get a pile of swings on balls out of the zone especially if you have a good hard Breaking ball to go with it.

We have got to find a way to even out the scholarship stuff.

So scholly stuff. Can we not set up 100 performance grants with open application processes. Then award to 20 or so baseball players per year, set up minimum requirements like 2.0 GPA or something. Maybe give some to women's track or something. Literally open to everyone, but manage it so only like 20-30% are used by athletes.