PDA

View Full Version : Jake Mangum said some things last night that were spot on

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 12:39 AM
And I'm glad that he said them. He was talking about how the NCAA needs to increase the scholarship limit in baseball and needs to add a third assistant.

We should all be lobbying for a scholarship increase. If we want to level out Vanderbilt's advantage-that's the best way to do it. I'd like to see baseball have 20-25 scholarships per team.

I think it would be huge for college baseball too because I would imagine that there are a lot of players that either choose pro ball because of the cost of college and the fact that they are on a small scholarship or there are guys that would come back as seniors that don't because they know that their scholarship money will potentially be reduced. I'm talking about more of the later past round 15 guys than the top 15 rounds of course.

It's going to take a lot of the big names in college baseball to pull something like that off. I never understood why it seemed like almost all baseball coaches were content with just letting Ron Polk handle it all.

DownwardDawg
06-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Could someone give me the cliff notes on the Vandy scholarship situation? I don’t understand exactly what you’re talking about. I’ve just always read that they have an advantage over everyone. Thanks in advance.

Fader21
06-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Just wondering how increasing scholarships would effect Title IX. Surely we would have to add another women's sport....maybe gymnastics.

MaroonFlounder
06-22-2019, 09:57 AM
It has been described as extra "need-based" grants for baseball players, rather than scholarships.

Mjoelner34
06-22-2019, 10:52 AM
I heard something a few months ago on Head to Head or whatever the hell its called this week about MLB possibly getting involved with the NCAA to increase scholarships. I think it was due to two things. One, they recognize the disparity shown college baseball and two, they also see the numbers showing a higher percentage of college players making it to the majors faster. The downside is, all discussing it said if it worked out, they think baseball schollys would only get bumped to around 15 or 16. But, at least that's more than 11.7.

Gutter Cobreh
06-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Could someone give me the cliff notes on the Vandy scholarship situation? I don’t understand exactly what you’re talking about. I’ve just always read that they have an advantage over everyone. Thanks in advance.

Here is a good article describing some of the nuances when it comes to the details around scholarships and how they are counted in football and basketball versus baseball:

https://www.anchorofgold.com/platform/amp/2019/5/30/18645077/opportunity-vanderbilt-an-explainer

maroonmania
06-22-2019, 11:03 AM
He certainly made Ron Polk proud. Polk has been on that soapbox for decades, not that it seemingly did one ounce of good.

Mjoelner34
06-22-2019, 11:05 AM
If they have to do that because of Title IX, just increase softball and girls soccer to make up the difference. Those two currently have a total of 26 between them.

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 11:11 AM
I heard something a few months ago on Head to Head or whatever the hell its called this week about MLB possibly getting involved with the NCAA to increase scholarships. I think it was due to two things. One, they recognize the disparity shown college baseball and two, they also see the numbers showing a higher percentage of college players making it to the majors faster. The downside is, all discussing it said if it worked out, they think baseball schollys would only get bumped to around 15 or 16. But, at least that's more than 11.7.

At this point I would take 15-16. Of course it's speculation so who knows?

DownwardDawg
06-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Here is a good article describing some of the nuances when it comes to the details around scholarships and how they are counted in football and basketball versus baseball:

https://www.anchorofgold.com/platform/amp/2019/5/30/18645077/opportunity-vanderbilt-an-explainer

Thank you. This helped.

Tbonewannabe
06-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Thank you. This helped.

Cliff notes is that Vandy can manipulate how much each "student's tuition" actually cost. Vandy can essentially give 11.7 to 12 players and then have the rest be non athletic scholarship players who also have all of their tuition paid through lowering their tuition and then getting "Leadership" scholarships or other academic schollies. Under Cohen, we started helping players find more academic or other grants or scholarships, or at least that is what I heard. We probably still don't have the players on a full paid tuition like Vandy but we are at least competitive in it now.

Tbonewannabe
06-22-2019, 12:58 PM
This topic reminds me of the player from Coastal Carolina that came back to school for his senior year but didn't have any scholarship money left so he took out almost $50k in student loans to play his senior year. No other sport has these issues and it is complete bullshit. MLB is getting a version of minor league baseball where the players are paying for the privilege to play.

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Cliff notes is that Vandy can manipulate how much each "student's tuition" actually cost. Vandy can essentially give 11.7 to 12 players and then have the rest be non athletic scholarship players who also have all of their tuition paid through lowering their tuition and then getting "Leadership" scholarships or other academic schollies. Under Cohen, we started helping players find more academic or other grants or scholarships, or at least that is what I heard. We probably still don't have the players on a full paid tuition like Vandy but we are at least competitive in it now.

Yes and I will be curious to see if the NCAA does something about it if Vanderbilt wins multiple National Titles because if they do their advantage will be discussed more and more. Skip Bertman and gorilla ball partially caused the bat standards to be lowered and regulated.

Ezsoil
06-22-2019, 03:56 PM
Just wondering how increasing scholarships would effect Title IX. Surely we would have to add another women's sport....maybe gymnastics.

Well in today's idiocy of this gender identification crap...title 9 is about to be rendered irrelevant.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2019, 06:47 PM

Roll back football schollies by 10-15 and it's done. That's all that has to be done and both sports are better

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2019, 06:49 PM
The kicker is people want more diverse college rosters, but until they raise the scholarships, keeps that from happening

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Well in today's idiocy of this gender identification crap...title 9 is about to be rendered irrelevant.

It's not Title IX that is as much an issue as it is the smaller schools around the country that don't want to spend the money on baseball scholarships. The same people that don't want to pay for a third assistant either for the most part. MLB helping bail out college baseball would be nice- but the reality is college baseball needs to take some major steps forward itself by splitting into two divisions like college football. Once that happens you will without a doubt see a third assistant pass and you will possibly see scholarships increase.

I think splitting in two would solve a lot of college baseball's issues.

Right now it's the St. Peter's of Maine's that are holding the sport back.

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 06:52 PM
The kicker is people want more diverse college rosters, but until they raise the scholarships, keeps that from happening

This is true. And a very good point.

confucius say
06-23-2019, 12:16 PM
Jake was a walk on in 2018 and 2019 seasons to help us with the scholly situation per teddy Cahill article on 6-22-19.

confucius say
06-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Roll back football schollies by 10-15 and it's done. That's all that has to be done and both sports are better

Ding ding ding. Would help college football.