PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to compare our pitching staff coming into this year with next year?

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 10:03 AM
We had our Saturday guy in Small coming into this year similar to Ginn. JT as a freshman was probably as good or better than Small as a sophomore.

We had Ginn as a freshman exceed expectations so can someone coming in or on staff lock down that Saturday start? McCleod sp? was supposed to be a possible Sunday guy this year before getting sick. Hopefully between him, Cerentola, and Smith we have at least a good weekend rotation.

Coming into this year our bullpen was a big question mark. Self and Price who were workhorses coming off injuries. Self didn't look quite right and Price is still not fully back. We got Cole to come back. Leibelt was a non factor coming from last year. Barlow was iffy and really was up and down throughout the year. Keegan James was someone we thought would be a weekend guy that was more down than up although he gave us a chance with his game against Vandy. Plumlee was a guy who surprised taking the weekend role. Most projections probably had him coming out of the pen or as a midweek guy. Colby White was a fire thrower and gave us 1 or 2 important innings a weekend. Had a type of closer mindset similar to Gordon.

With all of that said, who do we have on roster or coming in that can replace their production?

Ginn for Small
McCleod, Cerentola, or Smith for Ginn and Plumlee. Odd man out probably takes midweek starts. A lot of arm talent if we get them consistent.

Does Tyler Spring and Jack Eagan step up and take more bullpen innings?

Who takes over as an inning eater like Leibelt?

Who takes over the closer role?

msudawglb
06-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Do we have a 6'4" 240 pound kid who can pump in 94+ fastballs for 6+ innings? I'd like to see that guy on Saturdays.

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 10:23 AM
Do we have a 6'4" 240 pound kid who can pump in 94+ fastballs for 6+ innings? I'd like to see that guy on Saturdays.

Cerentola. The problem is where those fastballs go could be in the strikezone or ear hole. Hopefully, we have shown with Ginn that we can help develop guys as pitchers while protecting their arm.

ZedFedder
06-21-2019, 10:23 AM

He’s skinny but Cerantola is an easy 94-96 and bumps 97 and 98.

Scared_Hitless
06-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Friday: Ginn
Saturday: Cerentola
Sunday: Smith

Arguably more talented than what we trotted out there this season. I am much more concerned about the bullpen as we lose every arm that ate innings this season. Liebelt, Cole, White all gone

jacksondawg
06-21-2019, 10:28 AM
I could be wrong but I think Macleod is low to mid 90s from the left side at 6’4”

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 10:45 AM
Starting pitching will be fine. Relief pitching will be a question mark again. We really only had 3 guys you could rely on this year, but we lose all of them (Liebelt, White, and Gordon). We have some talented freshmen coming in. Landon Sims will be good. KC Hunt might be another. Pitching will make or break us next year

msstate7
06-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Friday: Ginn
Saturday: Cerentola
Sunday: Smith

Arguably more talented than what we trotted out there this season. I am much more concerned about the bullpen as we lose every arm that ate innings this season. Liebelt, Cole, White all gone
Ginn seemed to get tired down the stretch this season. Having 2 young starters and ginn makes me wonder how we'd hold up down the stretch

Scared_Hitless
06-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Ginn seemed to get tired down the stretch this season. Having 2 young starters and ginn makes me wonder how we'd hold up down the stretch

Alot of Sophmores make a big jump, hopefully they monitor him through the fall and he takes the summer off. His velocity dipping from 95 to 91 over the course of the season is cause for concern.

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 12:45 PM
Starting pitching will be fine. Relief pitching will be a question mark again. We really only had 3 guys you could rely on this year, but we lose all of them (Liebelt, White, and Gordon). We have some talented freshmen coming in. Landon Sims will be good. KC Hunt might be another. Pitching will make or break us next year

Gordon was the only one from the previous year so hopefully they either have someone coming in or develop someone to take those innings. We recruited a ton of pitchers so hopefully enough work out to give us some depth.

Saltydog
06-21-2019, 06:28 PM
Alot of Sophmores make a big jump, hopefully they monitor him through the fall and he takes the summer off. His velocity dipping from 95 to 91 over the course of the season is cause for concern.

He was only 87 in the sixth last night. I understand the fatigue of a freshman this late in the year but yeah there's reason to be a bit concerned.

MetEdDawg
06-21-2019, 07:09 PM

Word is Ginn is not playing summer ball and is going to be working on arm strength and training.

They mentioned it in the Supers and the CWS that he eclipsed the most number of innings pitched in one year like halfway through SEC play. So he's not one of these kids nowadays pitching tons of summer ball and fall ball travel baseball innings.

He needs to work with our staff that knows him, knows his limitations, and can work with him to gain the strength necessary to be a guy that can consistently go 6-7 innings every week. I 100% trust Lemonis and Foxhall to do that

Coach34
06-21-2019, 07:35 PM
Word is Ginn is not playing summer ball and is going to be working on arm strength and training.

They mentioned it in the Supers and the CWS that he eclipsed the most number of innings pitched in one year like halfway through SEC play. So he's not one of these kids nowadays pitching tons of summer ball and fall ball travel baseball innings.

He needs to work with our staff that knows him, knows his limitations, and can work with him to gain the strength necessary to be a guy that can consistently go 6-7 innings every week. I 100% trust Lemonis and Foxhall to do that

Also there is word- and I don't know how true it is- that Ginn doesnt want to be a SP next year. He came to State to swing the bat and close. Curious to see how that goes in the offseason.

MetEdDawg
06-21-2019, 08:12 PM
Also there is word- and I don't know how true it is- that Ginn doesnt want to be a SP next year. He came to State to swing the bat and close. Curious to see how that goes in the offseason.

Really?? For the sake of my upcoming comments let's assume this is true. I mean I guess I get that but man. The real long term money is in starting and he's got the stuff to be a dominant starter. Not a good one but a dominant one.

Would he want to close because he thinks that will give him a better chance to hit and play the field?

Coach34
06-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Really?? For the sake of my upcoming comments let's assume this is true. I mean I guess I get that but man. The real long term money is in starting and he's got the stuff to be a dominant starter. Not a good one but a dominant one.

Would he want to close because he thinks that will give him a better chance to hit and play the field?

If he had wanted to be a SP- he would have taken the 2 million. He wants to be a position player that closes. Came to State to show he is a top notch everyday player. That's just what I was told. We'll see.

MetEdDawg
06-21-2019, 08:47 PM
If he had wanted to be a SP- he would have taken the 2 million. He wants to be a position player that closes. Came to State to show he is a top notch everyday player. That's just what I was told. We'll see.

Two things:

1. Ginn has the swagger and personality to be a closer. I could see that hurting him as a position player a little but I could still see him doing that. So that makes sense. I'm not sure MLB teams are gonna draft him much higher just to be a closer though. I think we are seeing the beginning of the end of the high priced closer. Too much money being spent for someone pitching around 60-70 innings out of the 1,500 innings MLB teams play in a year.

2. Does that mean we started Ginn out of necessity? If we don't start him we certainly aren't a national seed. We are starting some combo of Small, Plumlee, Brandon smith, and Cerantola and that's not getting us to Omaha. So did we start Ginn out of necessity? And does that lend credence to some of the rumors of some discontent amongst him/his family regarding his usage?

WinningIsRelentless
06-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Ginn daddy doesn?t want him throwing more than 90 pitches a week. He has made that very clear to the point of saying if we pushed it he would go to juco next year

Coach34
06-21-2019, 10:42 PM
Ginn daddy doesn?t want him throwing more than 90 pitches a week. He has made that very clear to the point of saying if we pushed it he would go to juco next year

yeah- lots of this going around. Ginn swings the bat in Starkville next year or in juco

MetEdDawg
06-21-2019, 11:29 PM
yeah- lots of this going around. Ginn swings the bat in Starkville next year or in juco

I have to think Lemonis saw what he had during summer and realized and fall and realized that we had a solid lineup and a massive hole at SP and he needed to start Ginn.

Ginn starting is why we are in Omaha because we probably aren't a 1 seed without him.

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 12:18 AM
I think we'll end up starting Ginn. Although we could get creative and use him as a fireman. Which would allow us to pitch him in multiple games a weekend. Could be challenging to keep things at 90 pitches a week doing that because of the unknowns.

I could see Ginn hitting next year. But he wasn't ready to do that this year.

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 12:20 AM
I have to think Lemonis saw what he had during summer and realized and fall and realized that we had a solid lineup and a massive hole at SP and he needed to start Ginn.

Ginn starting is why we are in Omaha because we probably aren't a 1 seed without him.

Well, yeah we needed him to start. Without him our rotation would have been what? Small, Plumlee and then Brandon Smith or Keegan James? We never did find a midweek starter.

Tbonewannabe
06-22-2019, 01:18 PM

I think Casey Mize for Auburn did that one year also.

Tbonewannabe
06-22-2019, 01:21 PM
I think we'll end up starting Ginn. Although we could get creative and use him as a fireman. Which would allow us to pitch him in multiple games a weekend. Could be challenging to keep things at 90 pitches a week doing that because of the unknowns.

I could see Ginn hitting next year. But he wasn't ready to do that this year.

Did anyone see him hitting in practice? I only remember him going to the plate one time this year and I think he struck out.

ZedFedder
06-22-2019, 01:50 PM
His high school numbers were really good.

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 02:07 PM

Ginn was inconsistent at the plate in the fall and spring. Now that said- I would be 100% fine with Ginn hitting and pitching next year. If he can play third base I'm fine with that too.

The thing about Ginn closing is he actually has a better chance of making more money as a starting pitcher in college than he would being a relief pitcher. And it doesn't preclude him being a closer in MLB at all. In fact starting would probably help him with that in the pros.

Also- FWIW Ginn said that he is looking forward to coming back next year on Twitter.

It sounds like Ginn will be on the U.S. collegiate National Team this year but will only throw a few innings for them.

Todd4State
06-22-2019, 02:08 PM
His high school numbers were really good.

Yeah he led the state in home runs his senior year. He has the potential to hit and do well at the SEC level. It's just that his pitching is ahead of his hitting at the moment.

cujo
06-23-2019, 07:22 AM
Yeah he led the state in home runs his senior year. He has the potential to hit and do well at the SEC level. It's just that his pitching is ahead of his hitting at the moment.

Ala Pete Young

msstate7
06-23-2019, 07:31 AM
If ginn isn't a starter next season, our outlook is decidedly worse than if he is

Todd4State
06-23-2019, 12:06 PM
If ginn isn't a starter next season, our outlook is decidedly worse than if he is

Depends on how creative Foxhall is. And that to me is the bigger concern here. If JT can throw 90 pitches a week we could use him in multiple games for multiple innings.

Todd4State
06-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Ala Pete Young

I'm good with that.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-23-2019, 01:30 PM
Can’t he be a starting pitcher and DH in games he don’t pitch in?

MarketingBully
06-23-2019, 01:44 PM
If only we had a poster on here who actually knows Ginn’s dad And is friends with him to see if these “rumors” were true or not. I’m not believing this shit unless a certain poster confirms it. Come on fellas. This is ridiculous.

MarketingBully
06-23-2019, 01:50 PM
Ginn was inconsistent at the plate in the fall and spring. Now that said- I would be 100% fine with Ginn hitting and pitching next year. If he can play third base I'm fine with that too.

The thing about Ginn closing is he actually has a better chance of making more money as a starting pitcher in college than he would being a relief pitcher. And it doesn't preclude him being a closer in MLB at all. In fact starting would probably help him with that in the pros.

Also- FWIW Ginn said that he is looking forward to coming back next year on Twitter.

It sounds like Ginn will be on the U.S. collegiate National Team this year but will only throw a few innings for them.

How do we know any of these “rumors” are true? Assuming they are fact makes an ass out of you and me. The only poster I believe when it comes to Ginn is CC who actually is friends with Ginn’s dad. I seriously doubt the JUCO bullshit is real. It makes zero sense.

timotheus
06-23-2019, 02:02 PM
he ain't goin juco. that is simply the result of too many beers and a few guys talking about what they would do if JT was their boy.

Todd4State
06-23-2019, 02:15 PM
How do we know any of these “rumors” are true? Assuming they are fact makes an ass out of you and me. The only poster I believe when it comes to Ginn is CC who actually is friends with Ginn’s dad. I seriously doubt the JUCO bullshit is real. It makes zero sense.

JT being recruited to MSU to hit and pitch are not rumors. The rest is to be taken with a grain of salt.

MarketingBully
06-23-2019, 02:22 PM
JT being recruited to MSU to hit and pitch are not rumors. The rest is to be taken with a grain of salt.

He came to MSU because he loved MSU and wanted to play college baseball and be in the CWS. Well he did that this year. His best way to make more then where he was drafted is as a starting pitcher and showing a third pitch such as a changeup. It’s common sense. He was freshman of the year because we played him as a starting pitcher. If he doesn’t see that that is where he can make the most money, be drafted the highest, and is where his future is at I don’t know what to tell him. Going JUCO next year would destroy his draft chances. It makes absolutely zero sense.

Todd4State
06-23-2019, 02:30 PM
He came to MSU because he loved MSU and wanted to play college baseball and be in the CWS. Well he did that this year. His best way to make more then where he was drafted is as a starting pitcher and showing a third pitch such as a changeup. It’s common sense. He was freshman of the year because we played him as a starting pitcher. If he doesn’t see that that is where he can make the most money, be drafted the highest, and is where his future is at I don’t know what to tell him. Going JUCO next year would destroy his draft chances. It makes absolutely zero sense.

I'm not worried about him going the JUCO route.

I seen it dawg
06-23-2019, 06:21 PM
I would love for Ginn to close. Use Smith, Cerantola and Macleod on the wkds.

Homedawg
06-23-2019, 07:01 PM
I could be wrong but I think Macleod is low to mid 90s from the left side at 6?4?

He doesn't throw that hard. But he is left handed

Homedawg
06-23-2019, 07:02 PM

The way we are gonna baby him he would be available once a weekend. No thanks on that. But he's be good.

Homedawg
06-23-2019, 07:06 PM

I believe that. Oh well. If he wants to get he same money or better that he turned down last year, he has to be a starter. Period.

HoopsDawg
06-23-2019, 07:37 PM

Ginn is going to be our Friday night ace and that's right where he should be.

msstate7
06-23-2019, 07:49 PM
I believe that. Oh well. If he wants to get he same money or better that he turned down last year, he has to be a starter. Period.

That's a good point. If he wants to get in the top 15, he has to be a dominant Friday night guy

I seen it dawg
06-23-2019, 08:12 PM
Ginn is going to be our Friday night ace and that's right where he should be.

I agree on the Friday night thing but I would love to see him 3 times a wkd. That would mean our starters have really made a jump.

Dawg61
06-23-2019, 10:34 PM
I say let me hit everyday and close. We need better hitters. It's always why we lose in Omaha.

Todd4State
06-23-2019, 11:14 PM
I say let me hit everyday and close. We need better hitters. It's always why we lose in Omaha.

Our pitching killed us this year in Omaha. We scored 5, 3, and 3 which is not bad considering the elite pitching that you are going to face in Omaha every year.

Vanderbilt this year has scored 3, 6, and 3 in it's games thus far- only one run less than what we have and it would be worse if Tanner Allen throws home and our pitching doesn't give up a home run.

Michigan- 5, 2, before blowing up with 15 when Texas Tech ran out of pitching in the only game that anyone has hit double digits this year.

Louisville- 1, 4, 5, 2- only one run better than us in one more game.

Texas Tech- 3, 5, 4, 3- about what we averaged this year.

Florida State- 1, 0, 1

Arkansas- 0, 4

Auburn- 4, 3

You have to have swing and miss types pitchers like Small, Ginn, and Colby White in that stadium because it is an extreme pitchers park and you are facing elite arms like Kumar Rocker most of the time. The outfield is big and the infield plays fast which makes it tough on a pitcher like a Jared Leibelt as good as he was for us.

Dawg61
06-24-2019, 12:12 AM
He's pretty much saying he's hitting and closing or he's walking so what's the problem here? Let him hit and close as that's the only option on the table for us. Having Ginn in that capacity is better than no Ginn at all. Our bats sucked in Omaha once again. You're lying to yourself if you can't acknowledge it.

Todd4State
06-24-2019, 12:20 AM
He's pretty much saying he's hitting and closing or he's walking so what's the problem here? Let him hit and close as that's the only option on the table for us. Having Ginn in that capacity is better than no Ginn at all. Our bats sucked in Omaha once again. You're lying to yourself if you can't acknowledge it.

Stop trolling another baseball thread in which you are again clearly wrong in and talking out your ass.

Commercecomet24
06-24-2019, 12:30 AM
JT wants to be a SP because he knows thats what he's going to be drafted as, but yes he also wants to hit. He didn't come to State to close, that rumor is incorrect. He came here to be SP and move up in the draft to top 10 pick, but he also was promised he could have a shot at hitting. That's from the horses mouth.

Dawg61
06-24-2019, 12:31 AM
Stop trolling another baseball thread in which you are again clearly wrong in and talking out your ass.

You've only added 25,000 posts to every baseball thread ever started already I think you can handle my 3 posts in this thread. Crybaby. Get some thicker skin Todd and learn how to accept when other people say something that's blatantly obvious and correct before you see it or get it. Baseball guru haha.

Todd4State
06-24-2019, 12:42 AM
You've only added 25,000 posts to every baseball thread ever started already I think you can handle my 3 posts in this thread. Crybaby. Get some thicker skin Todd and learn how to accept when other people say something that's blatantly obvious and correct before you see it or get it. Baseball guru haha.

Why the moderators let you stay around I have no idea. You're literally the worst baseball poster on here and confrontational. There is no way to have a rational conversation with you.

Every time you are proven wrong- which I did above AGAIN you start trolling and it has gotten beyond old.

Todd4State
06-24-2019, 12:51 AM
JT wants to be a SP because he knows thats what he's going to be drafted as, but yes he also wants to hit. He didn't come to State to close, that rumor is incorrect. He came here to be SP and move up in the draft to top 10 pick, but he also was promised he could have a shot at hitting. That's from the horses mouth.

Oh look- Dawg61 is wrong again.

Dawg61
06-24-2019, 12:54 AM
Why the moderators let you stay around I have no idea. You're literally the worst baseball poster on here and confrontational. There is no way to have a rational conversation with you.

Every time you are proven wrong- which I did above AGAIN you start trolling and it has gotten beyond old.

There you go again always crying for the mods anytime you disagree with my position on something. I want Ginn to hit. You don't. Fine we disagree and be done with it bud. Not everyone in this world is gonna agree with everything you want to do. Deal with it without calling others trolls and then crying for the mods to ban them. Ginn led the state in homeruns. He obviously can hit a little and since our 1-7 hitters went a combined 6-95 or whatever the hell it was I think it might not be such a bad idea to let Ginn hit. Can't believe you don't agree. Actually that's a lie I totally believe you want to refuse to let Ginn hit and keep him unhappy.

Oh and btw this is you being confrontational to start this shit not me.

Dawg61
06-24-2019, 01:02 AM
Oh look- Dawg61 is wrong again.

Ginn wanting to hit and be a starting pitcher isn't me being wrong there Billy Beantard. I'm more than fine with him continuing to be a starting pitcher and an everyday hitter. It's you that wants to keep Ginn unhappy by refusing to allow him to hit not me.

Todd4State
06-24-2019, 01:48 AM
There you go again always crying for the mods anytime you disagree with my position on something. I want Ginn to hit. You don't. Fine we disagree and be done with it bud. Not everyone in this world is gonna agree with everything you want to do. Deal with it without calling others trolls and then crying for the mods to ban them. Ginn led the state in homeruns. He obviously can hit a little and since our 1-7 hitters went a combined 6-95 or whatever the hell it was I think it might not be such a bad idea to let Ginn hit. Can't believe you don't agree. Actually that's a lie I totally believe you want to refuse to let Ginn hit and keep him unhappy.

Oh and btw this is you being confrontational to start this shit not me.

And I'm the one that needs to get thicker skin.** I only said that because you are either trolling or incredibly stupid- it's really hard to tell with you to look at the numbers I presented and come up with the assertation "you're lying to yourself if you can't acknowledge (that our bats sucked in Omaha). Again- ONE run less than the team that's in the final and rated number one in the country. Louisville ONE run better than us in one more game. Is that clear enough for you? Our offense was in line with every other team in Omaha this year except for Michigan which had an outlier.

Ginn wanting to hit and be a starting pitcher isn't me being wrong there Billy Beantard. I'm more than fine with him continuing to be a starting pitcher and an everyday hitter. It's you that wants to keep Ginn unhappy by refusing to allow him to hit not me.

Link where I said "I don't want Ginn to hit"? I'm absolutely fine with him hitting. You're going full Goat now. I go "crying to the mods" because you bring nothing to the discussion, start trolling when you are proven wrong which is often and then you get confrontational- AGAIN. You can disagree- but you might....just might want to look at the stats again and compare it to the other teams in the CWS. Because it shows that you are wrong. And the 8th and 9th hitters still count in the lineup. Usually when people cherry pick- it's a sign of being wrong. Ginn had zero hits on the year against SWAC competition and was inconsistent hitting in the spring and fall. Whether he can hit at this level is at this time an unknown. I think he can- but it's still hardly a given at this time. I want him to hit if he can do it. The coaches are going to give him a shot so let's see if he can do it.

The problem is YOU can't just disagree. YOU have to turn a good thread into a complete shit show. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

You're a piece of shit.

Dawg61
06-24-2019, 02:15 AM
You're a piece of shit.

You seem to be having issues finding the ignore poster option.

timotheus
06-24-2019, 06:44 AM
61, why do u say JT is leaving for juco?

Dawg61
06-24-2019, 08:39 AM
61, why do u say JT is leaving for juco?

I'm just going off what C34 & others are hinting at. Kid wants to hit. Let him. It'll help us down the line with other players and he might actually can really hit. Plus I've always thought a good way to help with the scholarship situation is to bring in more players that want to do both. Maybe there's more 1st round type talents that aren't quite sure if they just want to pitch or hit before they sign pro and we offer them a chance to figure that out first by letting them play both. Word gets around cause Ginn and others are used as examples and it becomes a domino effect for us.

timotheus
06-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Dominoes

Commercecomet24
06-24-2019, 05:38 PM
Guys I got a pic today of JT working out with the text "the road back to Omaha starts today". So I think you can tell where is heart and mind is at this point.

Todd4State
06-24-2019, 05:41 PM
Guys I got a pic today of JT working out with the text "the road back to Omaha starts today". So I think you can tell where is heart and mind is at this point.

If he said the road to Ellisville I would have freaked out.

Commercecomet24
06-24-2019, 06:18 PM
If he said the road to Ellisville I would have freaked out.

Good one!

bulldogcountry1
06-24-2019, 06:53 PM
My main concern is with our upperclassmen pitchers not being reliable. Self, Price, Spring, and Breaux will all be seniors and aren't SEC level. I'd feel better about getting some grad transfers that we can just plug in like France.

Is Halter expected to sign? I'd like to see him give pitching a shot.

jacksondawg
06-24-2019, 07:18 PM
Spring is in the transfer portal and Breaux participated in senior night so I don’t think they will be on the team next year

Randolph Dupree
06-24-2019, 07:31 PM
Breaux is transferring. Somewhere closer to home where he can also play Macanese St maybe?

Todd4State
06-24-2019, 07:44 PM
Breaux is transferring. Somewhere closer to home where he can also play Macanese St maybe?

Yes.

Todd4State
06-24-2019, 07:47 PM
My main concern is with our upperclassmen pitchers not being reliable. Self, Price, Spring, and Breaux will all be seniors and aren't SEC level. I'd feel better about getting some grad transfers that we can just plug in like France.

Is Halter expected to sign? I'd like to see him give pitching a shot.

Price was actually pretty solid when he pitched but he was recovering somewhat. I think he pitches more next year. Self has had injury issues as well but looked better in the postseason minus the CWS which wasn't totally 100% his fault than TA made an incorrect fielding decision that extended the inning. Jack Eagan could be improved next year as well.

The concern is all are pitch to contact guys and the guys that have power arms are mostly freshmen with no experience. So, lot's of question marks there.

Coach34
06-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Your heart isnt in being a SP if you want to be limited to 90 pitches per outing. A good SP averages 120 pitches. Michigan is 1 game away from the NC and they closed Game 1 with the Game 2 SP. And it wasnt the 1st time they have done that.

Ginn obviously wants to swing the bat. There is a problem that Lemon is going to have to solve because a SP with a 90 pitch limit is a 5 IP guy for the most part outing after outing.

HooverDawg
06-24-2019, 10:21 PM
Your heart isnt in being a SP if you want to be limited to 90 pitches per outing. A good SP averages 120 pitches. Michigan is 1 game away from the NC and they closed Game 1 with the Game 2 SP. And it wasnt the 1st time they have done that.

Ginn obviously wants to swing the bat. There is a problem that Lemon is going to have to solve because a SP with a 90 pitch limit is a 5 IP guy for the most part outing after outing.

Your sources couldn?t have been more wrong on this one.

And it?s not 1990 anymore. A good starting pitcher in today?s game goes around 90-100 pitches.

Commercecomet24
06-24-2019, 10:51 PM

This deal was worked out with the Ginns a long time ago, before Lemonis even got here. And it's no more than 100 pitches a game and a chance to hit. That's the promise that was made. There ain't very many pitchers throwing 120 pitches in mlb anymore and that's JT ultimate goal, as it should be. Sometimes concessions have to be made to get these kind of talents on campus. Right or wrong it is what it is.

Todd4State
06-24-2019, 11:07 PM
This deal was worked out with the Ginns a long time ago, before Lemonis even got here. And it's no more than 100 pitches a game and a chance to hit. That's the promise that was made. There ain't very many pitchers throwing 120 pitches in mlb anymore and that's JT ultimate goal, as it should be. Sometimes concessions have to be made to get these kind of talents on campus. Right or wrong it is what it is.

Exactly. If we want to recruit better to get to where we want to go we have to be flexible sometimes. And 100 pitches a week with a chance to hit is really not unreasonable at all since most MLB pitchers in this day and age throw around 100 an outing and he is a dual position player who led the state in home runs his senior year.

timotheus
06-25-2019, 12:27 AM
Your sources couldn?t have been more wrong on this one.

And it?s not 1990 anymore. A good starting pitcher in today?s game goes around 90-100 pitches.

It all boils down to efficiency man. I watched Small go 90-100 pitches several times this year but the problem was that it was only the 5th or 6th inning. The catch to the whole deal is to have your starter get into the 7th inning which eases the situational use of the pen.

Tbonewannabe
06-25-2019, 09:55 AM

I only remember him getting one at bat this year but we weren't weak anywhere in the lineup. Not many freshmen would have broken into that lineup just as a hitter. Cumbest and the freshmen catchers did some but they were mostly defensive reasons. I am sure he will get more of a shot next year but will he be only a DH and PH candidate? You don't see a SP and position player very often.

Cooterpoot
06-25-2019, 10:02 AM
Our coaches aren’t going to throw any pitcher 120 pitches. Look how many times it didn’t happen this year. We had a short leash on everybody and didn’t have the depth needed to do that really.

Dawg61
06-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Pitch count tolerance just depends on how taxing your pitches are. Ross Mitchell coulda thrown 200 pitches a game cause he was putting almost zero stress on his arm but someone throwing 96 mph shouldn't be throwing 120 pitches.

Homedawg
06-25-2019, 12:33 PM

I have no issue with giving him a "chance to hit". But he's got to earn it in the fall and the spring. This isn't a handout, the best guys play. And I wasn't saying that you were implying that he just be handed the spot.

Coach34
06-25-2019, 03:07 PM

Good starting pitchers are going 100-plus on the reg. Vandy's pitchers have gone 100-plus 3 of their last 5 outings and Rocker was pulled on us at 95 because the game was well in hand and they would need him again. If our game had been close- his ass would have gone at least 1 more inning.

Coach34
06-25-2019, 03:11 PM
and the bottom line to all this is that Ginn wants to swing the bat. We want him to remain a SP. So he either becomes a SP/DH or a Closer/position player type. Thats all I'm saying. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 04:05 PM
I have no issue with giving him a "chance to hit". But he's got to earn it in the fall and the spring. This isn't a handout, the best guys play. And I wasn't saying that you were implying that he just be handed the spot.

I 100% agree with you. I want the best 9 players and hitters on the field. If he's one of the best 9 hitters let him hit, if not then PItcher only. We on the same page here.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 04:18 PM
Average pitches per start by mlb pitchers last year was 88 and 5.4 innings per start.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2019, 04:21 PM
Could Ginn realistically play in the field on the days he is not pitching? He did it in HS. I know thats different from the SEC but still. For the record I think he is a SP and I have watched him a lot since HS

Todd4State
06-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Could Ginn realistically play in the field on the days he is not pitching? He did it in HS. I know thats different from the SEC but still. For the record I think he is a SP and I have watched him a lot since HS

Realistically yes he could play in the field when he is not pitching.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2019, 04:33 PM

I cant remember anyone doing it for us. I think I remember a dude from UK doing it a while back but other than him I dont

JNC23
06-25-2019, 04:51 PM
I cant remember anyone doing it for us. I think I remember a dude from UK doing it a while back but other than him I dont

Didn't Brendan McKay from Louisville pitch and play 1B? Seems like the timeline makes sense for Lemonis to have recruited him as well since he played from 2015-2017.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Didn't Brendan McKay from Louisville pitch and play 1B? Seems like the timeline makes sense for Lemonis to have recruited him as well since he played from 2015-2017.

Yes he did. Golden Spikes winner

Coach34
06-25-2019, 05:18 PM
It's hard for an infielder to do because of the amount of groundballs you take and throws you make simply from practice. I know I struggled doing it in college. But there are ways around that to limit throws and such. To remain a SP its just easier to be an OF'er or DH. 1B doesnt make near as many throws so like the guy at Kentucky- it is possible.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2019, 05:44 PM
It's hard for an infielder to do because of the amount of groundballs you take and throws you make simply from practice. I know I struggled doing it in college. But there are ways around that to limit throws and such. To remain a SP its just easier to be an OF'er or DH. 1B doesnt make near as many throws so like the guy at Kentucky- it is possible.

I highly doubt Ginn plays 1B. He was SS in HS I think we would be wasting his talent at 1B

HooverDawg
06-25-2019, 06:09 PM
Average pitches per start by mlb pitchers last year was 88 and 5.4 innings per start.

Yep. Anyone who follows baseball knows throwing 120 pitches is no longer the norm for starting pitchers.

HooverDawg
06-25-2019, 06:10 PM
and the bottom line to all this is that Ginn wants to swing the bat. We want him to remain a SP. So he either becomes a SP/DH or a Closer/position player type. Thats all I'm saying. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Well he is not going to become a closer/position player so you can eliminate that. Not really much left to play out.

Dawg61
06-25-2019, 06:45 PM

That's a flawed stat. I'm guessing over 50% of starts the pitcher gets pulled because they're getting hit not because their pitch count is getting too high.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 06:59 PM
That's a flawed stat. I'm guessing over 50% of starts the pitcher gets pulled because they're getting hit not because their pitch count is getting too high.

Well they get pulled even earlier in college. The point being pitchers very rarely throw over 100 pitches anymore

Cooterpoot
06-25-2019, 06:59 PM

That would be the case no matter how many pitches are throw in quality outings. You don’t see pitchers going over 100 pitches or 200 innings the way you used to.

AlSwearengen
06-25-2019, 07:15 PM
I’m a little surprised we are talking about Ginn playing the infield. Not that he isn’t able to ability wise, but he is without question going to make his money as a pitcher and he just limped to the finish with a tired/sore arm.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 07:23 PM
I’m a little surprised we are talking about Ginn playing the infield. Not that he isn’t able to ability wise, but he is without question going to make his money as a pitcher and he just limped to the finish with a tired/sore arm.

Personally I wish he would focus on just being an SP, but I understand as a young un he still wants to give hitting a shot. You're right though his money will be as an SP.

I seen it dawg
06-25-2019, 07:45 PM
He can hit every fifth day in a few yrs.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2019, 07:56 PM
If Ginn wants to hit, I’m surprised he’s not out playing Summer ball as a hitter

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Woodruff is raking.

We win the natty in 2013 if our staff knew they had Mitch Moreland 2.0 on the team.

Coach34
06-25-2019, 07:59 PM
Well they get pulled even earlier in college. The point being pitchers very rarely throw over 100 pitches anymore

Not the good ones. This not true. Good SEC SP's go their 100-plus. Sometimes they get pulled because of a big lead or a bad outing- but in close games- SP's gonna go triple digits. I bet Rocker gets his triple digits tonight.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Not the good ones. This not true. Good SEC SP's go their 100-plus. Sometimes they get pulled because of a big lead or a bad outing- but in close games- SP's gonna go triple digits. I bet Rocker gets his triple digits tonight.

Yeah I've already posted the stats. Pitchers very rarely throw over 100
Pitches anymore. Just doesn't happen.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 08:10 PM
Mlb starting pitchers threw over 100 pitches in a game 1211 times last year out of 4862 starts. That's 24%. So 1 out of every 4 starts. That's not very often

ETA only 12 times did a mlb pitcher hit 120 pitches plus that's less than 1% so your theory doesn't hold water.

Coach34
06-25-2019, 08:13 PM
Yeah I've already posted the stats. Pitchers very rarely throw over 100
Pitches anymore. Just doesn't happen.

and I posted stats also. When Rocker gets his 100 tonight- it will be 4 out of 6 for their SP's. That is far from "rare".

Small
Fellows
Campbell
Thompson
Locey
Stallings
Mace

Those guys were logging 100 pitches in their outings- and those were just some of the top innings eaters

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 08:16 PM
and I posted stats also. When Rocker gets his 100 tonight- it will be 4 out of 6 for their SP's. That is far from "rare".

Small
Fellows
Campbell
Thompson
Locey
Stallings
Mace

Those guys were logging 100 pitches in their outings

12 times out 4862 starts did a mlb pitcher throw 120+ pitches and their conditioned to do it more than a 18-19 year old. So you want to put more pressure on an immature arm? Sorry but we ain't gonna agree on this one.

Coach34
06-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Mlb starting pitchers threw over 100 pitches in a game 1211 times last year out of 4862 starts. That's 24%. So 1 out of every 4 starts. That's not very often

ETA only 12 times did a mlb pitcher hit 120 pitches plus that's less than 1% so your theory doesn't hold water.

I havent said a damn word about MLB. I have watched maybe 3 games the last 5 years. I watch college baseball. MLB stats dont belong here

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 08:19 PM

Small
Fellows
Campbell
Thompson
Locey
Stallings
Mace

Those guys were logging 100 pitches in their outings- and those were just some of the top innings eaters

Personally I wished SPs went deeper now. I grew up watching guys throw 30+ complete games a year but that's not the environment anymore. Everyone trying to protect investments I guess .

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 08:20 PM
I havent said a damn word about MLB. I have watched maybe 3 games the last 5 years. I watch college baseball. MLB stats dont belong here

What I'm saying is you're expecting more out of immature arms on 18-20 year olds than grown men.

Dawg61
06-25-2019, 08:28 PM
I want starters that can eat innings not have high pitch counts. Getting us through 6-7 innings consistently. Want the pitch count lower? Pitch to more weak contact instead of tickling the corners all game and always looking for strikeouts. Also helps to not walk batters.

Coach34
06-25-2019, 08:33 PM
What I'm saying is you're expecting more out of immature arms on 18-20 year olds than grown men.

I'm strictly talking about how the top arms in the league perform each season. And top performers in college baseball are going their 100-plus time and again.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 08:49 PM
I'm strictly talking about how the top arms in the league perform each season. And top performers in college baseball are going their 100-plus time and again.

Rocker has gone over 100 pitches twice in 15 starts this year and averages 92 pitches a game. If he throw a 100 tonight it'll be his third.

Commercecomet24
06-25-2019, 08:51 PM
I want starters that can eat innings not have high pitch counts. Getting us through 6-7 innings consistently. Want the pitch count lower? Pitch to more weak contact instead of tickling the corners all game and always looking for strikeouts. Also helps to not walk batters.

I'm with you here. Don't nibble, attack hitters.

Homedawg
06-25-2019, 11:00 PM
Not really. He's gonna start on Friday. He can't take the wear and tear throwing on sat and Sunday after pitching. Much less the practice throws all week. He can dh. That's about it. He's gonna have to hit and hit well to be in our lineup. It's up to him. Not lemonis or anyone else. Well and decide if he wants to practice hitting enough to make it in the lineup. This is way tougher than it sounds.

Homedawg
06-25-2019, 11:02 PM

This guy gets it. And that's where it's going to end up