PDA

View Full Version : Engie threw out an interesting stat on us and Ole Miss

Coach34
10-24-2013, 12:43 PM
All-time record vs the Big 6 of the SEC:

OM - 98-222-9 - .312 vs the Big 6 in 329 total meetings
MSU - 117-274-12 - .305 vs the Big 6 in 403 total meetings

How about that for scheduling? We have played the Big Boys 70 more games than Ole Miss- with nearly the same results over the years

The ghosts of administrations past is even more ugly than the present

CliffDawg39339
10-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Not to be negative, but if Mississippi State doesn't have a Turd Polishing Management Program, we need one, cause we are the best in the country at it. How deep do you have to dig to get the stats to be able to present that we are as good as anyone at anything football related. Very deep. However, Nice job Engie.

chef dixon
10-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Not to be negative, but if Mississippi State doesn't have a Turd Polishing Management Program, we need one, cause we are the best in the country at it. How deep do you have to dig to get the stats to be able to present that we are as good as anyone at anything football related. Very deep. However, Nice job Engie.

True. Both State and Ole Miss are excellent in this department.

engie
10-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Played them about 18 seasons' worth more than OM.

I got fairly deep at one point figuring out what our historical record would be with their historical schedule -- but the forfeits made it so confusing that I never completed it.

Bottom line is -- we're own worst enemy -- and always have been.

MadDawg
10-24-2013, 01:40 PM
If you look back at the "glory" years of Mississippi football, you'll find that they rarely ever played any of the other good teams in the league. I think Vaught played the Bear a total of 3 times over his entire tenure, and at least one of those meetings was in a bowl game. Meanwhile, we took a beating from the Bear practically every year.

OldFatDog
10-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Vaught went 2 and 4 against Alabama.

messageboardsuperhero
10-24-2013, 02:08 PM

Obviously UM generally had better teams in the 50s-80s; nobody is disputing that.

Engie's main point is that the historical "gap" between the two programs is not nearly as wide as most UM fans seem to think. Scheduling and one good, loyal coach are the two biggest differences in MSU's and UM's football programs from a historical perspective.

Dawg61
10-24-2013, 02:11 PM
How is this even possible? Who did Ole Miss play for 18 seasons worth? Was there a family tree from the Templeton's in charge of MSU scheduling? I wonder where Bracky ranks for most sanctions called on themselves. Nevermind we already know he's #1 All-Time.

dawgs
10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
How is this even possible? Who did Ole Miss play for 18 seasons worth? Was there a family tree from the Templeton's in charge of MSU scheduling? I wonder where Bracky ranks for most sanctions called on themselves. Nevermind we already know he's #1 All-Time.

yeah i know scheduling back in the pre-80s era of CFB was different with no set conference schedules and what not, but i'm too young to actually know how any of that worked out and how there were such disparities. what's the point of a conference at that point?

Coach34
10-24-2013, 02:27 PM
yeah i know scheduling back in the pre-80s era of CFB was different with no set conference schedules and what not, but i'm too young to actually know how any of that worked out and how there were such disparities. what's the point of a conference at that point?

Not only that- but we played LSU in BR something like 20 years in a row or some ridiculous shit.
Our "home" games vs Auburn would be in Birmingham

If you look back at our history to examine all the mistakes and stupidity- it's not hard to see why we are where we are today.

messageboardsuperhero
10-24-2013, 02:32 PM
I just looked this up:

State's all-time winning % vs. Alabama- 18.8% (on field 17.5%)
UM's all-time winning % vs. Alabama- 15.5% (on field 13.1%)

If you really look at who UM played during their "Glory Years" and how they fared on the rare occasion when they actually decided to play a good team, you'd see that they really don't have all that much to brag about. Don't let the perception of winning seasons while playing Chattanooga/Vanderbilt and mythical, pre-integration "National Championships" fool you; BOTH schools have pretty shitty football histories.

dawgs
10-24-2013, 02:34 PM
Not only that- but we played LSU in BR something like 20 years in a row or some ridiculous shit.

If you look back at our history to examine all the mistakes and stupidity- it's not hard to see why we are where we are today.

yeah i know stuff like that, i just mean, how did it even happen? was their no concept of fair in scheduling? no oversight by the conference? just a free-for-all and somehow ole miss buddy'd up with the cool kids?

curmudgeon
10-24-2013, 02:39 PM
And only two of those six games were conference games.

Dawg61
10-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Germany tried to conquer the world 70 years ago and murdered 20 million people along the way. MSU had played LSU almost 40 times or more by then. Think about that for a bit. I think it's time to retire sports record books prior to 1960. Just a totally different world back then.

messageboardsuperhero
10-24-2013, 02:49 PM

From 1932-1970 (38 games), we played LSU outside the state of Louisiana a grand total of three times. I wonder what dumbass made that call.

Other interesting notes regarding LSU:

MSU's all-time winning % in the series- 34.4%
UM's all-time winning % in their LSU series- 39.2%

When you consider that we never played LSU in Starkville between 1932-1981 (eight games were in Jackson) and have only won 1 of the last 21 meetings against LSU (beyond pathetic), it's easy to see why UM has a little bit better all-time winning % vs them.

Dawg61
10-24-2013, 02:55 PM
Damn if we'd just beat Miles ONCE we would have him Croomed from LSU. Then maybe their replacement will be worse.

engie
10-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Vaught tenure(24 seasons not counting his partial season return in 1973):
From most played to least played...

LSU 15-7-3(6 home, 18 away, 1 neutral)
MSU 18-2-4(12 home, 12 away)
Kentucky 17-6-1(13 home, 11 away)
Vanderbilt 15-4(7 home, 11 away)
Memphis 17-1-1(3 home, 16 away)
Tennessee 12-7(2 home, 8 away, 9 neutral)
Houston 15-3(11 home, 7 away)
Tulane 15-3(7 home, 11 away)
Arkansas 9-4(2 home, 5 away, 6 neutral)
UT Chattanooga 12-0 (pretty sure this counted as an SEC game at the time)(11 home, 1 away)
Alabama - 2-5(3 home, 3 away, 1 neutral)
Auburn - 4-2(3 away, 3 neutral)
Georgia 4-2(2 home, 4 away)
Florida - 3-2(1 home, 3 away, 1 neutral)
USM - 4-1(5 home, 0 away)
18 other opponents for a total of 33 games - 23-9-1

MSU's scheduling during the same time frame:
LSU 8-16(3 home, 21 away)
Ole Miss 2-18-4(12 home, 12 away)
Alabama 3-19-1(8 home, 15 away)
Auburn 6-15-1(5 home, 17 away)
Tennessee 6-9-1(1 home, 9 away, 6 neutral)
Florida 3-11-1(5 home, 10 away)
Tulane 9-5(4 home, 10 away)
Memphis 9-3
Houston 5-6
Arky St 10-0
Georgia 3-6
USM 6-2
Texas Tech 4-2-1
Kentucky 2-4
19 other opponents for a total of 31 games - 17-12-3

Paints a pretty damn clear story if you ask me... No one to blame for our football history but ourselves.

And Vaught was smart as hell with scheduling away games against teams he knew he could beat basically every year -- in areas he hoped to recruit.

DanDority
10-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Wholly buckets; Yeah, our shit stinks, but so does UM's!
we just have a weaker administration historically.

Dawg61
10-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Ha MSU played just Bama 10 more times than UOM played BOTH Bama and Auburn. Can Thursday now be "Shit on Ole Miss Day"?

MadDawg
10-24-2013, 03:12 PM
Vaught went 2 and 4 against Alabama.

He actually went 2-5 against Alabama after looking back thru the records. You are probably missing the loss to Alabama in the 1963 Sugar Bowl.

Obviously I was wrong claiming they only played 3 times. Still just 7 games out of a 25 year coaching career is pretty slick.

The Lord Humongous
10-24-2013, 04:07 PM
If memory serves UM used to play LSU in BR most of the time. Vaught drew a line in the sand with the Bear. Bear refused to play in Oxford, Vaught said screw you, and they just didn't play. We, however (head shaking), basically just took it. Seems like that stopped around the 60s finally. The rules have changed a lot since then. It was fast and loose back in the day. As much as the SEC likes to help the big guys can you imagine them allowing one team to dictate where a conference game was played every year? Hell, we didn't all use to play the same number of conference games.

Honestly, though, I seem to even remember us playing buy games against conference opponents as recently as the 80s (maybe the 90s?). I seem to remember playing Florida in Tampa or Orlando or Jacksonville for a "home" game or two.

Dawg61
10-24-2013, 04:23 PM
MSU copied Fresno St. kinda. It's "we'll play anyone anywhere anytime for $2.5 mill".

NewTweederEndzoneDance
10-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Bear Bryant refused to play either of us in the state of Mississippi. We should have taken the same stance Vaught did and told him to go **** himself.

Edit: after looking it up, we actually played 12 games against Bama in the state of MS during Bear's tenure at Bama, which is roughly half of our games against them. At least according to Wikipedia. From 1932 - 1957, however, we played them in Alabama 20 out of 22 times. Wow.