PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing endings to our sport teams this year

msstate7
06-21-2019, 07:55 AM
Football ended a disappointing year with a disappointing loss to Iowa

Men's basketball got upset in the first round to liberty

Women's basketball lost in elite 8 to end the final 4 streak we had going

Baseball lost last night

Even with the disappointing finishes, football got the outback bowl, our men made the tourney, our women won the sec and made the elite 8, and our baseball team was a national seed that made the CWS. What a sports year... hats off to our athletic dept.

We're losing some of my favorite bulldogs ever this year in fitz, Q, and Jake. Really wish things had ended better for these guys.

basedog
06-21-2019, 07:58 AM

Baseball lost last night

Even with the disappointing finishes, football got the outback bowl, our men made the tourney, our women won the sec and made the elite 8, and our baseball team was a national seed that made the CWS. What a sports year... hats off to our athletic dept.

We're losing some of my favorite bulldogs ever this year in fitz, Q, and Jake. Really wish things had ended better for these guys.

Damn 7, a great post, LOL!

Scared_Hitless
06-21-2019, 08:08 AM
Yep I think the pain is worse when you finally have teams capable of doing great things. For so long we accepted being cellar dwellers and that seems to be over. Not just in the big sports but Tennis, Track and Field, among others. We are looking up as an athletic department, we have the leadership capable of pushing forward. Congrats to all of our teams honestly their wasn't a dull moment this year. Now we move forward with Football up next, will Tommy Stevens and JoMo give us something to cheer about? I think so but that sport is a different animal in regards to talent levels. I think we take another step forward in Women's Bball this season that is our next shot at the Natty we so desperately seek.

Political Hack
06-21-2019, 08:09 AM
Agree. It was an incredible year. Look at what we did (and Auburn) across the big 4 sports. It's pretty remarkable. Nobody else comes close.

fader2103
06-21-2019, 08:10 AM
Good post I will also add I am going to hate not seeing the WBB and having Big T in the middle. Even Lashes came in and one year and embraced being a Bulldog.

Political Hack
06-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Yep. I'm really going to miss watching her play. And Jake. Two of my all time favorites. They play the way you'd want your kids to play. 100% effort all the time.

BrunswickDawg
06-21-2019, 08:13 AM

Baseball lost last night

I don't think enough is said about the positives of where our whole athletic department is right now compared to almost any point in the past. Every sport on campus other than volleyball made the post season. Soccer made the post season for the first time ever. We have nationally competitive programs in baseball, women' basketball, men's tennis, and track and field (Jav U!). While football and basketball were disappointing - we are regarded as Top 25 programs currently. We have made leaps and bounds in the facilities over the past 10 years. It is possibly the best time ever to be a Bulldog.

smootness
06-21-2019, 08:21 AM
C- for everybody. If we don't win a national title here at Mississippi State, why are we even running teams out there? Got to increase the expectations, people.

Liverpooldawg
06-21-2019, 08:26 AM
There is no possibly to it. It IS the best time overall. We are competitive in the FOUR sports that have a following. We are competitive in almost all the rest that we play too. For most of our history we only had one or sometimes two sports that even had much of a following. We were lucky if we had anything outside of baseball that was competitive period. Our facilities have been upgraded across the board and we even have one that is THE best one in its sport. It just blows my mind reading our boards sometimes. The unrelenting negativity is not based on reality. We even have people constantly complaining about the New Dude.

I never thought I'd ever see a sports year for MSU like this last one. Hats off to the entire athletic department.

msstate7
06-21-2019, 08:30 AM
C- for everybody. If we don't win a national title here at Mississippi State, why are we even running teams out there? Got to increase the expectations, people.

C- for everyone may be a little tough haha

If a natty is all that matters, we might as well shut down the football and MBK teams bc they have no shot

smootness
06-21-2019, 08:33 AM
C- for everyone may be a little tough haha

If a natty is all that matters, we might as well shut down the football and MBK teams bc they have no shot

I'm kidding.

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 08:35 AM

Baseball lost last night

Don't forget McCowan either

msstate7
06-21-2019, 08:36 AM
I'm kidding.

Haha, good

msstate7
06-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Don't forget McCowan either

She was a great player. I'm just not much of a WBK fan, so I'd be lying if I said she was one of my favorites of all time. She was a terrific player though, no doubt

Lord McBuckethead
06-21-2019, 08:49 AM

No. Winning is the goal, but competing and competing the right way is the mission. Our teams for thenpast 5 years have been competing their asses off. We are close. Imagine if AJ Brown would have came to MSU. Maybe we beat Bama the last two years. Imagine if Vivians got a very small pinky finger on the ND last second shot. Our basketball team is now building. What the hell do you guys really want? I want a team that on any given day has a shot to beat anyone. And we have that.

Dawg2003
06-21-2019, 09:30 AM
We saw the end of a lot of eras. The Q era. McCowan was the last holdover from those teams that had back to back NC games. The Jake Mangum era is over. Fitz era is over. Lots of goodbyes to players who have been here a long time.

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Men's Tennis also came up short after being a National Seed with Nuno falling in the single's National Title match. Softball finally won a game in a Regional for the first time in a while. Women's tennis made a Regional.

Javelin guys went 1,2,3 in winning every medal at the Nationals. I don't know how well the rest of the Track and Field went but at least Javelin pulled it off.

smootness
06-21-2019, 10:00 AM
It's an embarrassing reflection on our fanbase that someone can look at those results, give it a C-, and have it taken seriously by others.

Lord McBuckethead
06-21-2019, 10:01 AM
We saw the end of a lot of eras. The Q era. McCowan was the last holdover from those teams that had back to back NC games. The Jake Mangum era is over. Fitz era is over. Lots of goodbyes to players who have been here a long time.

Also is an opportunity for the next group of program kids to come in and define our athletic department for the next 4 years. Dak, Fitz, Mangum, Rooker, Q, Vivians...... who is the next to step up. I keep waiting for the next Walter Peyton, Jerry Rice, or Brett Favre to actually come to MSU from a MS high school and dominate the sport. Who is going to be that kid? Who knows? Maybe Ginn. Maybe Kylin Hill. We need someone to take the step.

Scared_Hitless
06-21-2019, 10:29 AM

Not only that but we had a huge changing of the guard in Coaching. New Coaches in Baseball, Football, Soccer we have alot of questions going forward. I think Lemonis will be the most successful, but time will tell.

MaroonBelle
06-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Baseball lost last night

To add: 3 first rounders in football drafted (5 total), 1 first rounder (2 total) WNBA draft, 1 first rounder baseball (11 total), the first NBA drafted player since 2012 (Congrats Q!), I think we had a soccer player drafted. All these players, with maroon in their hearts, repping our university on the biggest stages in their fields. More now in all sports than at any time in our history.

smootness
06-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Also is an opportunity for the next group of program kids to come in and define our athletic department for the next 4 years. Dak, Fitz, Mangum, Rooker, Q, Vivians...... who is the next to step up. I keep waiting for the next Walter Peyton, Jerry Rice, or Brett Favre to actually come to MSU from a MS high school and dominate the sport. Who is going to be that kid? Who knows? Maybe Ginn. Maybe Kylin Hill. We need someone to take the step.

Could be one of those, though Ginn likely won't be here long enough to build a huge legacy. Could be Foscue. Could be Robert Woodard. Could be Rickea Jackson. Could be Garrett Shrader. The thing is, Dak, Fitz, Mangum, Rooker, even Q to a degree...none of these guys showed up on campus as the obvious candidate to be that guy. We'll have others step up.

smootness
06-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Whoever gave me negative rep in this thread, once again, I was joking. What I thought was pretty obvious sarcasm. The fact that it could be taken as serious is a poor reflection on the number of fans we have who might actually post something like that seriously.

msstate7
06-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Could be one of those, though Ginn likely won't be here long enough to build a huge legacy. Could be Foscue. Could be Robert Woodard. Could be Rickea Jackson. Could be Garrett Shrader. The thing is, Dak, Fitz, Mangum, Rooker, even Q to a degree...none of these guys showed up on campus as the obvious candidate to be that guy. We'll have others step up.

Woodard is my pick. I think he ends up having an outstanding career

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Whoever gave me negative rep in this thread, once again, I was joking. What I thought was pretty obvious sarcasm. The fact that it could be taken as serious is a poor reflection on the number of fans we have who might actually post something like that seriously.

Too many guys seriously saying this year was a failure. I think anyone joking today should include **** because a lot of people are on the edge.

MagicDawg
06-21-2019, 04:58 PM
I'll be 50 this year. Having grown up in a Mississippi State family (Pappaw graduated in 1938)... and having attended during late Felker/early Sherrill... this is unquestionably the golden age of Mississippi State athletics. I have the reasonable expectation of seeing us win a national championship in women's basketball and/or baseball within the next decade. In football we are reasonably expecting a double-digit bowl game streak and it's not unreasonable to think we could make an 8-team playoff field if/when it gets expanded. Men's basketball is recuperating from a disastrous valley but trending upward.

My kids will never know the suffering we endured. I am enjoying every minute of our success.

Dawgology
06-21-2019, 05:31 PM
I never thought I would see the day where our entire athletic program is consistently competing at every level. We are right on the cusp.