PDA

View Full Version : CWS thoughts

Todd4State
06-21-2019, 01:37 AM
Well that was quite a ride and it sucks that it is over not to mention HOW it ended. But it was still a great ride nonetheless.

So- where we are. We're in the midst of possibly the best four year stretch in MSU baseball history. We have a SEC title, we've gone to the Shriner's Classic, we've won four Governor's Cups which is a first for MSU, we've been a National Seed twice, been to four Super Regionals and for the second time in school history- back to back CWS appearances. Imagine what it would have been like if we hadn't been through four coaches, four pitching coaches, three hitting coaches and three volunteer assistants and we weren't building the best college baseball stadium in America. (Sorry Arkansas.) And no we've never had a stretch like that even in the 80's. So, it's very fair to say that we are in the midst of the best stretch in MSU baseball history if we're looking at things objectively and black and white. And for the 1985 fans- there is a difference between legendary and best and the 85 team is the most legendary MSU team ever.

And as we all know we lack a National Title and that's really about it. Despite the way we feel about Vanderbilt right now- we're also probably closer to them than we ever have been before. They're not beating us 15-0 and we're giving ourselves a chance to win while at the same time let's not forget that we beat them in their own SR last year with about the same teams for both give or take a few players. To get to that level- and Florida despite their down year, and to a sort extent but not really LSU level- we have to continue to add to our talent base and elevate that a little bit. That's why IMO JT Ginn is the most important recruit we have ever had. We have never had a player drafted in the first round out of high school actually come to MSU and it's key that he develops and becomes a first round pick next year. Because that's how you develop a reputation in the baseball industry and start to attract other players like Ginn. And with teams like Vanderbilt and Florida it's not as cut and dried as simply having a reputation. That's only part of it. They are able to identify the recruits that are tough signs for MLB and that's key with their scholarship advantage. Because if they were giving those hardship scholarships to guys that were marginal SEC talents they would be wasting that advantage and of course not nearly as good as they are now. The way they identify it is through their MLB scouting connections. That's my biggest concern with the current staff as it is because I'm not sure what kind of connection Lemonis has with the scouting industry or Foxhall for that matter. That was also Cann's biggest strength. And maybe they have better connections than I am aware of- but identification and recruiting them is key. We do that and honestly with the raw unknown talents in Mississippi like the Hunter Renfroe's that we often times pick up and develop into first round picks we may have a higher ceiling than a Vanderbilt IF we can get the scouting connections to go along with the player development piece that we do well with already.

JT performed really well tonight and he is off to a tremendous start. Once he matures physically some and adds strength he will be one of the best to come through here. Our coaches- and I think it's more Foxhall than Lemonis- need to utilize our pitchers better at times. Not using Colby White in game two of the CWS during the meltdown inning probably killed us. And why certain pitchers are trusted more while they continue to not perform repeatedly while others like White and Tyler Spring are not while consistently performing- I do not understand that. We simply can not do that in the CWS and realistically expect to win it. The other thing that concerns me is Lemonis did not seem willing to use Small and others in a win at all cost situation and you also can not get through the loser's bracket in Omaha or even win the CWS without doing that some. See Louisville tonight throwing their ace in the 9th. He is going to have to get past that on the CWS stage even if it is "uncomfortable" for him. It's not about being Skip Bertman- everyone does it in Omaha and if we continue to insist on taking the high road every time we are hurting ourselves.

A lot of people complained about our hitting in the CWS. Part of that is when you are in Omaha you are facing really good pitching and then the win at all costs piece I spoke about above. Part of it is raising the talent level some. Part of it is having lots of sophomores who haven't reached their peak money year which is next year for most of them. Guys like Westburg, Rowdey, Tanner Allen, Foscue, and Hatcher will be much better this time next year. They're already pretty good- but they should be at the next level by this time next year. And that's another thing that helps with winning a National Title- having a team with mostly junior and some senior experience- ideally it would be Mangum and MacNamee level senior experience but it isn't always like that. It's hard to win the CWS with a bunch of underclassmen. The fact that our sophomores made it their first two years is actually pretty encouraging because that's usually not the case.

The weakest part of our team was our defense. I have to believe that this is going to be an area of major emphasis in the offseason. Having guys at positions now where they are settled will help some. Our defense killed us as much as the poor bullpen management in the CWS. You have to make the routine plays and know what you are going to do when the ball is hit to you so that your decision is already made in the event that the ball is hit to you. We need to bring Ron Polk back as a consultant and utilize him with helping out our defense in the offseason. His coaching fundamentals on defense were his strength and could be a potential asset for us. Yep. I said it.

Elijah MacNamee is perhaps the most clutch hitter I have ever seen at MSU. What he did with the game on the line was remarkable. And then knowing everything else that he has gone through makes you root for him even more. He will sign with someone as a free agent.

Jake Mangum probably will have a statue at Dudy Noble Field one day and will probably be our head coach one day. I've said it before but I will say it again- if I was a MSU baseball player I would see myself as a cross between Will Clark and Jake Mangum. No one has dominated Ole Miss more- and as someone that say through and suffered during the 2002-2006 Mayor's Trophy run by Ole Miss- I say thank you and God bless you. It was fun to watch Bianco look constipated every time Jake came up to the plate. But he was more than just the owner of Ole Miss. The guy is the best hitter in SEC history and the best CF we have ever had. It was awesome tonight how we lobbied the NCAA for more baseball scholarships and advocated for the third assistant coach.

Ethan Small is one of the most dominant pitchers I have ever seen at MSU and he may get a nod in the all-time MSU rotation because he holds the strikeout record for the school. I loved it when he would yell at the other team.

Tonight is disappointing- but it's not the end. In many ways, I think it's actually the beginning. Or at least another step in the right direction. People talk about Florida State not winning a National Title- however I don't think they are as invested in winning one as much as MSU is either. We have an AD that is very invested in MSU baseball. We are willing to humble ourselves and look at people like LSU, Vanderbilt, and etc. and say what are they doing and how can we do it? And then we set out to do it. We looked at other's facilities and then surpassed them. Those are all things that matter. And things that will one day end up winning a National Title.

Hail State Elitedawgs! Let's win it next year.

basedog
06-21-2019, 07:57 AM
Not bad Todd. We had a very good season, gotta be proud to be a Msu baseball fan Been following Msu baseball since early 70's, this team was as fun as any I've seen. Yes disappointing the way it ended, but overall the excitement at the new Dudy will bring many great years ahead I predict.

maroonmania
06-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Tonight is disappointing- but it's not the end. In many ways, I think it's actually the beginning. Or at least another step in the right direction. People talk about Florida State not winning a National Title- however I don't think they are as invested in winning one as much as MSU is either. We have an AD that is very invested in MSU baseball. We are willing to humble ourselves and look at people like LSU, Vanderbilt, and etc. and say what are they doing and how can we do it? And then we set out to do it. We looked at other's facilities and then surpassed them. Those are all things that matter. And things that will one day end up winning a National Title.

Hail State Elitedawgs! Let's win it next year.

Most disappointing thing to me was to see guys like Mangum, Macnamee and Gordon end their careers in a game that was essentially stolen from them by an either incompetent or biased HP umpire. I have watched every CWS game we've ever played in starting with the 1985 CWS and I've never witnessed a game we've played there where I felt a game was taken from us by one umpire, but I feel that way about last night's game. Now make no mistake, the NC was lost when we couldn't beat Vandy to stay in the winner's bracket, but last night's elimination was actually much more on the HP ump than our guys. Being honest, we just don't have the number of big arms to win what was necessary coming out of the loser's bracket in the short time span especially when its obvious that Lemonis and Foxhall are committed to babying the pitching arms of our best pitchers (ie. Small and Ginn) and the fact our offense is just not as good right now as it was during stretches earlier in the season. Even last night there was no reason Ginn could not have been brought back in the 7th given he had a 3 hit shutout going but arm care is priority number 1 I guess. Anyway, just terrible that all 3 runs scored to tie us by Louisville were scored by guys that SHOULD have been called out on strikes but the ump would not call it. They were up there taking everything close trying to draw walks, and the HP umpire just refused to call strike 3 on anything. Sad way to close out the year but such is baseball. I've learned that life as an MSU fan is much easier if you just accept that the season will end in disappointment before it ever starts and then once it does just let it go. To my knowledge, we've never had one that didn't in any sport that has a post-season tournament. But hey, this was a great team that overall had a great year with certainly one of the greatest players to ever wear the M over S and I enjoyed following them. Hail State!

Todd4State
06-21-2019, 09:29 AM
I agree about the umpire being a POS. But I think he took Ginn out at the right time. His velocity was starting to go way down. Really with an umpire like last night you almost need a pitcher that can throw 98+ right down the pipe to be successful.

shoeless joe
06-21-2019, 11:30 AM
A lot of decent points. Gotta get back to work. Wishing and osmosis aren’t gonna get us over the hump

BuckyIsAB****
06-21-2019, 11:34 AM
I dont understand the hard headdedness of having to do everything by the book. We cant bring in Small to win it, we cant let Ginn go in the 7th, I promise you he would have loved to go another inning. Cant bring in White if we are behind to put out a fire. Let alone use him to his potential. He had to be in the doghouse for something..We never bunt, if we did Foscue doesnt hit into a DP and that always helps manufacture a run. Especially when you are about a solid 3-30 with runners on in Omaha.

Cooterpoot
06-21-2019, 11:49 AM
This^^^
The inability to think outside the box (literally) isn’t a good thing. Maybe Lemonis was a little more on cruise control this year because of all the Srs and because they’ve been through a lot in 4 years. We’ll have to wait and see.

KOdawg1
06-21-2019, 11:52 AM
We have a good core next year of guys who know nothing but how to get to Omaha. Rowdey Jordan, Tanner Allen, Justin Foscue, and Jordan Westburg. They all will get better, which is scary when you think about it, because they're all guys who can knock it out of the park. I could easily see all of these guys having double digit HRs next year. I think Rowdey takes over in CF and brings that dirtbag attitude to the team. For me, Allen needs to be looked at in a corner outfield spot, because I'm not sure he's the best fit at first. Hell of a hitter though. Foscue turned into a damn good second baseman, and he tore the cover off the ball this year. He'll do more of the same next year. And then Westburg. He's the key to me as far as hitters go. He had a good start to the year this season, but he steadily went down hill after SEC play started. He hits the ball harder than anyone on the team, but he strikes out WAY too much. Cut those down, keep getting better defensively, and you've got an All-SEC shortstop.

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 02:34 PM
We have a good core next year of guys who know nothing but how to get to Omaha. Rowdey Jordan, Tanner Allen, Justin Foscue, and Jordan Westburg. They all will get better, which is scary when you think about it, because they're all guys who can knock it out of the park. I could easily see all of these guys having double digit HRs next year. I think Rowdey takes over in CF and brings that dirtbag attitude to the team. For me, Allen needs to be looked at in a corner outfield spot, because I'm not sure he's the best fit at first. Hell of a hitter though. Foscue turned into a damn good second baseman, and he tore the cover off the ball this year. He'll do more of the same next year. And then Westburg. He's the key to me as far as hitters go. He had a good start to the year this season, but he steadily went down hill after SEC play started. He hits the ball harder than anyone on the team, but he strikes out WAY too much. Cut those down, keep getting better defensively, and you've got an All-SEC shortstop.

I might put Allen in LF and put Hatcher at 1st. Let Cumbest take over RF and that is a pretty good outfield. Just have to have someone take over 3rd and catcher. I think we will be good behind the plate with either Hancock and/or Jones. We then need some people to step up for bullpen help and that is a team that can get back to Omaha.