PDA

View Full Version : We are seeing this program become elevated

deadheaddawg
06-21-2019, 12:14 AM
The program is trending up and probably in the best shape it's ever been in. We are in the process of taking that next step. To where we are CWS regulars.

State fans have an inflated view of the program. And I can understand why. We have the biggest and most passionate fans. Polk basically put the sport on the map.

But look at programs like Vandy, Louisville, Florida, Texas Tech, TCU....these are programs that are putting together string of multiple CWS appearances in a short time period recently. Programs like LSU, south Carolina and Miami have done it in the past

We never really been that. We had runs of 3 appearances close together and then a break.

But we are on the verge of being on CWS regular. Every year. For an extended period.

And look at all the dominate programs right now. They have been to multiple CWS and lose more than they win ...and some don't ever win it. Those 4 programs I mentioned have a combined 20 CWS appearances since 2010....and 2 titles.

We have put ourselves and n a position to be a truly elite program. There is no reason to believe we won't be and there damn sure wasn't anything that happened this year to make a person think we won't.

If people like Marvin, cooter, and leeflunked want to jump of the train.....bye. ....that your sandy ****** asses and leave. Nobody really gives a shit.

BuckyIsAB****
06-21-2019, 12:19 AM
This was the time. And we blew it. We are better than what we just showed.

That is why everyone is pissed off. We all know its hard to win the whole thing, its hard to even get to where we are. But to go out not being who we were all year is extremely hard to swallow

timotheus
06-21-2019, 12:21 AM
The program is trending up and probably in the best shape it's ever been in. We are in the process of taking that next step. To where we are CWS regulars.

State fans have an inflated view of the program. And I can understand why. We have the biggest and most passionate fans. Polk basically put the sport on the map.

But look at programs like Vandy, Louisville, Florida, Texas Tech, TCU....these are programs that are putting together string of multiple CWS appearances in a short time period recently. Programs like LSU, south Carolina and Miami have done it in the past

We never really been that. We had runs of 3 appearances close together and then a break.

But we are on the verge of being on CWS regular. Every year. For an extended period.

And look at all the dominate programs right now. They have been to multiple CWS and lose more than they win ...and some don't ever win it. Those 4 programs I mentioned have a combined 20 CWS appearances since 2010....and 2 titles.

We have put ourselves and n a position to be a truly elite program. There is no reason to believe we won't be and there damn sure wasn't anything that happened this year to make a person think we won't.

If people like Marvin, cooter, and leeflunked want to jump of the train.....bye. ....that your sandy ****** asses and leave. Nobody really gives a shit.

I agree. sh@t or get off the pot

deadheaddawg
06-21-2019, 12:43 AM

That is why everyone is pissed off. We all know its hard to win the whole thing, its hard to even get to where we are. But to go out not being who we were all year is extremely hard to swallow

It's called being disappointed. But being disappointed doesn't really justify losing all common sense. Getting mad at lemon for not getting kick out of the game is just ignorant. Calling lemonis a loser is beyond absurd. Thinking we will never win one because we have a loser menatily as a fan base is laughable. Thinking we can't be this good again is a stretch ..and calling lemonis fat is just embarrassing.

Be disappointed. That's fine. We have a lot of posters on this board who are disappointed and pissed, but not going bastshit crazy. You are probably one of them.

But we have some people thar are just absolute imbeciles

BuckyIsAB****
06-21-2019, 12:49 AM
It's called being disappointed. But being disappointed doesn't really justify losing all common sense. Getting mad at lemon for not getting kick out of the game is just ignorant. Calling lemonis a loser is beyond absurd. Thinking we will never win one because we have a loser menatily as a fan base is laughable. Thinking we can't be this good again is a stretch ..and calling lemonis fat is just embarrassing.

Be disappointed. That's fine. We have a lot of posters on this board who are disappointed and pissed, but not going bastshit crazy. You are probably one of them.

But we have some people thar are just absolute imbeciles

I do think some people got tired of watching him every game on the bucket but that is pretty low hanging fruit. I have caught myself saying a few times I wished he'd get up and get after somebodys ass. Same way people were ripping on Moorhead for not being emotional enough.

The rest of that is pretty stupid to say I agree, but I just think a lot of us see this kind of thing happen again and again and wonder if its truly possible for us to get it done. There wasnt any excuses for this bunch not to do it. This was supposed to be it

deadheaddawg
06-21-2019, 01:03 AM

I just don't see the logic is assuming only one style of coaching will work.

Him getting kicked out tonight would be foolish. It's not even really worth considering.

But to get upset and think that he needs to be more firery just seems like a big stretch to me. There are a million things he does, most behind the scenes, that are much more important.

It seems to assume the thing he is missing is "fire" based completely off what we see from the stands or TV is just an emotional reaction. It's the first thing you can latch on too, but it's really pretty insignificant

BuckyIsAB****
06-21-2019, 01:06 AM
I just don't see the logic is assuming only one style of coaching will work.

Him getting kicked out tonight would be foolish. It's not even really worth considering.

But to get upset and think that he needs to be more firery just seems like a big stretch to me. There are a million things he does, most behind the scenes, that are much more important.

It seems to assume the thing he is missing is "fire" based completely off what we see from the stands or TV is just an emotional reaction. It's the first thing you can latch on too, but it's really pretty insignificant

I got really sick and tired of watching us K on awful pitches but we all just sat around in the dugout and spit seeds and chewed bubble gum for 3 games. No adjustments at all at the plate.

Irrelevant point here but I also get pissed off watching baseball players allowed to go in the dugout and tear shit up like a 4 year old throwing a hissy bc they didnt get their way. Luckily none of our kids have really done that

deadheaddawg
06-21-2019, 01:09 AM
And I'm not going to lie. When I see comments about the players not wanting to be there, I get pissed. I'm setting here watching these Interviews with Mangum...and it get ticks me off that people can be that disrespectful to these guy.

Be upset with their performance and their decision making. But don't question their heart

Don't forget. We are just fans. We don't have nearly the skin in the game these guys do.

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/1141929217619369984

ArrowDawg
06-21-2019, 01:25 AM

We went to Omaha back-to-back years in 1997 and 1998. We didn't go again for another 9 years. Then 6 years. Then 5 years. Now back-to-back again. You could be right about saying that we're going to start going there regularly, but it could also be 2029 before it happens again. Don't get carried away. If we ever win a title, there's a good chance every person on this message board will be 6-feet underground. Accept it.

deadheaddawg
06-21-2019, 01:53 AM
Why in the world do you think it's getting carried away to think we are about to take a step up?

We have a ton on momentum as a program. With the exception of Mike Martin we were the story going into the CWS. Our national image is really good right now.

We have a great recruiting tool with our stadium and a coach with a reputation as a good recruiter.

If we are being honest, you are getting a little carried away with the "whoa is me". We've been on the upswing for years and just capped off one of our best seasons ever. It's a decent bet we stay really good for a while

Todd4State
06-21-2019, 02:05 AM
We went to Omaha back-to-back years in 1997 and 1998. We didn't go again for another 9 years. Then 6 years. Then 5 years. Now back-to-back again. You could be right about saying that we're going to start going there regularly, but it could also be 2029 before it happens again. Don't get carried away. If we ever win a title, there's a good chance every person on this message board will be 6-feet underground. Accept it.

Here's the deal:

Before 1976 we were a Southern powerhouse in an era where baseball was dominated by the PAC-12 and Big 10. So, we were really good as a regional program- lots of SEC Titles- but did not have a real chance to win a National Title because the SEC was basically a glorified football offseason conditioning program for most schools.

Polk changed that and we started to go to Omaha some. We had only been to Omaha once when he took over- and we had NEVER won a CWS game before he took over. He took us to the next level by taking us to Omaha somewhat consistently and won our first game there but the odds of us winning a National Title in the 80's were stacked against us because the SEC was still evolving but getting better. Georgia and LSU finally broke through- I believe they were the first SEC schools to win a title and that wasn't until 1990. And no- I'm not counting Mizzou in the 1950's as a SEC school. I'm just not.

So now we're where you are talking about. Unfortunately for us starting in 1991 we decided to go for a nostalgia grab instead of trying to advance our program for about 17 years. The 97-98 team was built for Polk's Swan Song. 2007 was a good team but it was also kind of flukey that they went with that pitching staff. We were not going to win a title with the culture that we had at that time and were lucky to go to Omaha as much as we did. At the same time the SEC became the beast that it is so when we finally decided that we could move on from Ron Polk it was actually going to give us a better chance to win a National Title.

Then from 2008-2013 we were essentially in rebuilding mode and it the fan base was really split and fractured at that point- but it was ultimately for the best because we actually started to move forward for the first time in two decades. The rebuild culminated in our best run in Omaha ever. And that run helped us recruit guys like Jake Mangum.

2014-2015 we had a downturn from an Omaha hangover, the college game changing, and having recruiting issues catch up to us from three losing seasons. 2016- to today we are the best we have ever been and back to being a National program while on our best run in school history.

So all of that is to show you why we don't have a National Title and it makes sense if you know the history of the sport in the region and MSU baseball. The biggest takeaway is we have the best chance to win one now than ever before. I don't know if we will ever win one but at the same time I like our odds.

bulldawg28
06-21-2019, 05:23 AM
I don't see the elevated observation. Truthfully the only elevation the baseball program can do is win the championship. The teams have been to Omaha enough that it's becoming embarrassing to keep going and never winning it.

timotheus
06-21-2019, 07:10 AM
I hate that you are embarrassed. No I really don't. Maybe we should just stop playing baseball in Starkville and get a Lacrosse team. That way if we lose, nobody will be concerned due to nobody being caring for lacrosse.

BrunswickDawg
06-21-2019, 07:34 AM
I don't see the elevated observation. Truthfully the only elevation the baseball program can do is win the championship. The teams have been to Omaha enough that it's becoming embarrassing to keep going and never winning it.

No it is far from embarrassing - because people who know baseball know how hard it is to win any championship at any level when you are playing either elimination or short-series formats. Why do you think in the Super Regional era no 1 or 2 seed has won a National Title? Baseball is a season, and a grind. On any given day the worst team can beat the best team. In any given 2-3 games, the best teams can just be completely incompetent. It's baseball.

And since we should be embarrassed - FSU should just quit the game with 23 trips to Omaha and no titles. Same with Clemson and their 12 trips, Arkansas and their 10, UNC with their 11.

basedog
06-21-2019, 07:42 AM
If you aren't proud for what this Msu team accomplished this year then you can't be helped or you should just quit being a fan of Msu. It's college baseball, a game with amateur players which many want make a living playing ball.

Hopefully one day we will be back in he CWS and win it, it's an extremely hard thing to do, but I think with some luck we can do it. We will always get talent, more talent is coming and I'm extremely excited about seeing a "certain" young pitcher pitch at Msu in 2021. Dude is tearing up major Travel Ball right now. Sorry to speak this but it is Msu sports talk.

bulldawg28
06-21-2019, 07:50 AM
No it is far from embarrassing - because people who know baseball know how hard it is to win any championship at any level when you are playing either elimination or short-series formats. Why do you think in the Super Regional era no 1 or 2 seed has won a National Title? Baseball is a season, and a grind. On any given day the worst team can beat the best team. In any given 2-3 games, the best teams can just be completely incompetent. It's baseball.

And since we should be embarrassed - FSU should just quit the game with 23 trips to Omaha and no titles. Same with Clemson and their 12 trips, Arkansas and their 10, UNC with their 11.

Call it a moral victory if you want. I will not. My question to you regarding Florida State is do you consider that a success? As you put it earlier "Anyone whose played sports knows that's a failure ". Either we're a national power or not. National powers come by winning championships and only losers keep remembering 2nd place.

timotheus
06-21-2019, 07:52 AM
I think u suffer from the " I am just smarter than all" gene. Meds could help. Nobody has mentioned moral victory on here so shut the trap.

smootness
06-21-2019, 08:29 AM

No, it isn't.

bulldawg28
06-21-2019, 09:17 AM
I think u suffer from the " I am just smarter than all" gene. Meds could help. Nobody has mentioned moral victory on here so shut the trap.

Never said I was smarter he initiated intelligence with "those that know". The thread is opinion based so I gave mine. Do you have one or do you not understand how threads work?

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 09:24 AM

Nice to know Mike Martin's entire career is just an embarrassment along with Ron Polk.

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Call it a moral victory if you want. I will not. My question to you regarding Florida State is do you consider that a success? As you put it earlier "Anyone whose played sports knows that's a failure ". Either we're a national power or not. National powers come by winning championships and only losers keep remembering 2nd place.

So are you saying Jake Mangum is an embarrassment or Loser since he didn't win a National Title?

bankerdawg
06-21-2019, 09:31 AM
And I'm not going to lie. When I see comments about the players not wanting to be there, I get pissed. I'm setting here watching these Interviews with Mangum...and it get ticks me off that people can be that disrespectful to these guy.

Be upset with their performance and their decision making. But don't question their heart

Don't forget. We are just fans. We don't have nearly the skin in the game these guys do.

If that interview doesn't get to you then you aren't a Bulldog. That's passion right there and believe me they are hurting more than we as fans. Love this group of guys.

deadheaddawg
06-21-2019, 09:38 AM
Yep. I honestly believe Jake Mangum is hurting more because he wanted to win it for US and his teammates. He wanted to ease our pain. And I dont believe it was driven by ego or him wanting personal accolades. This guy, and this team, cares deeply for the fans, the university, and the sport.

I hope they understand the majority of us dont want anything to do with fans like Melvin and Cootie

desotodawg
06-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Todd, I think this is the best post you have ever made. When you look at the bigger picture we are in a good spot to get to the brass ring. Excellence breeds excellence.

DD

smootness
06-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Yep. I honestly believe Jake Mangum is hurting more because he wanted to win it for US and his teammates. He wanted to ease our pain. And I dont believe it was driven by ego or him wanting personal accolades. This guy, and this team, cares deeply for the fans, the university, and the sport.

I hope they understand the majority of us dont want anything to do with fans like Melvin and Cootie

Of course Mangum is hurting more. All of our players are hurting more. They're the ones actually on the team, who actually played, who actually won games and lost them. I can't believe someone might even question that.

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Of course Mangum is hurting more. All of our players are hurting more. They're the ones actually on the team, who actually played, who actually won games and lost them. I can't believe someone might even question that.

I think he was saying Mangum took even more on because he wanted to win for more than himself. He isn't just disappointed that he didn't win a National Title for MSU but he feels like he didn't win it for every single fan. He had a lot more on the line because of it rather than a normal player that just wants to win for his team.

deadheaddawg
06-21-2019, 10:17 AM
I think he was saying Mangum took even more on because he wanted to win for more than himself. He isn't just disappointed that he didn't win a National Title for MSU but he feels like he didn't win it for every single fan. He had a lot more on the line because of it rather than a normal player that just wants to win for his team.

Yes exactly. You put it better than I did. He did not want to win so he would have a trophy to brag about....he wanted us to be able to brag.

Such a class act.

bulldawg28
06-21-2019, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=Tbonewannabe;1123183]Nice to know Mike Martin's entire career is just an embarrassment along with Ron Pstratosphere. Bro, I don't care how you feel about my statement of being at best second place. Moral victories are from 2nd place and below. There is no comparison of Mike Martin's career and Ron Polk. Two different stratospheres. Polk couldn't carry his jockstrap. However, neither are champions.

smootness
06-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Bro, I don't care how you feel about my statement of being at best second place. Moral victories are from 2nd place and below. There is no comparison of Mike Martin's career and Ron Polk. Two different stratospheres. Polk couldn't carry his jockstrap. However, neither are champions.

If you're not first, you're last!

smootness
06-21-2019, 11:23 AM

I didn't mean to direct that toward deadhead, though it sounded like I was. I was trying to say that I would hope he doesn't have to spell that out for fans because it should be a given that our players care more about this stuff and wear these losses more than any fan does.

bulldawg28
06-21-2019, 11:47 AM
If you're not first, you're last!

That's understood in the sports arena

bulldawg28
06-21-2019, 12:07 PM
So are you saying Jake Mangum is an embarrassment or Loser since he didn't win a National Title?

Are we singling out players from the team now? Is he bigger than the team?

smootness
06-21-2019, 12:21 PM
That's understood in the sports arena

Anyone who approaches is that way is destined to be miserable. Especially a Mississippi State sports fan.

Goldendawg
06-21-2019, 12:47 PM
A rep given to the mods, not an easy job I am sure. I had told my son for several weeks that I do not understand personal attacks from one State fan to another from the safety of a keyboard when most of us don't even know much or anything about each others' lives except our love for MSU sports and family. It had become very hard to read some recent threads and posts due to this issue. Respect different opinions and lively debate. Hail State!

Commercecomet24
06-21-2019, 12:50 PM

Great post! Baseball is not like any of the other sports. Unlike football and basketball, Your best player can't have the ball in his hands every time you need a big play. You cant pitch your best pitcher every game. You can't put your best hitter at the plate every time you need a big hit. You'll never see Cinderella teams win the nc in football or basketball like you sometimes see in baseball. Look at Michigan this year they have a real shot. Look at coastal Carolina a few years ago and others that have won't it as well. That just doesn't happen in other sports, baseball is just different and some understand that and some don't. Would you call Mike Martin a loser cause he's been 17 times and never won it all? He'll no.

Rep given Brunswick

Tbonewannabe
06-21-2019, 12:54 PM
Are we singling out players from the team now? Is he bigger than the team?

Just pointing out that you include every player and Jake Mangum just proved in front of Millions of people that he cares probably more than anyone. To call this season a failure and the players losers for not winning a National Title is a completely moronic statement. Winning a National title is never given.

It shows your character how you act in defeat rather than in victory. I am extremely proud of our team and how they act on and off the field, some of our fans not so much.

BrunswickDawg
06-21-2019, 01:05 PM
Great post! Baseball is not like any of the other sports. Unlike football and basketball, Your best player can't have the ball in his hands every time you need a big play. You cant pitch your best pitcher every game. You can't put your best hitter at the plate every time you need a big hit. You'll never see Cinderella teams win the nc in football or basketball like you sometimes see in baseball. Look at Michigan this year they have a real shot. Look at coastal Carolina a few years ago and others that have won't it as well. That just doesn't happen in other sports, baseball is just different and some understand that and some don't. Would you call Mike Martin a loser cause he's been 17 times and never won it all? He'll no.

Rep given Brunswick

To quote Jake Mangum last night - "The ball didn't go our way. That's how baseball is. It's a cruel game. But, it's beautiful. It's a beautiful, cruel game. You walk out with your head high."

If you played at any level above rec league you know this. It becomes part of you, and is why baseball players are so passionate about the game. You are playing a game were success as an individual means failing 70-80% of the time. No other sport is like that. That constant battle against failure creates bonds with your team and your coaches because they all understand it and are there to pick you up, get your mind right, and be prepared to believe you will succeed the next time. And there is a reason we have terms like "the baseball gods" - because the inexplicable happens and it is the only way to explain and cope with it. I've seen and learned a whole lot about life from the game of baseball. And Jake is spot on.

Commercecomet24
06-21-2019, 01:07 PM

I love Jake Mangum! All Dawg! That kid gave everything he had on the baseball field and I'm proud he wore Maroon and White!

Johnson85
06-21-2019, 01:23 PM

That's not particularly uncommon in baseball. In football, barring injury, most teams play their best at the end of the year b/c they improve throughout the year. In basketball, the asme is true but less so. In baseball, I would think most teams finish not playing their best, and that a good portion actually finish while they are in some sort of slump.

This team was good enough that we didn't have to be peaking to make Omaha. Vandy might have been the only team in it where we had to play our best or they had to slip up a little for us to win. We basically played good but not great ball, and absent some horrific umpiring, we would have probably gone down to Vandy in the semifinals. It's not like we just came in playing like dog shit. You just have to be playing well to advance in Omaha unless you get a very fortunate draw, which we did not.

Ari Gold
06-21-2019, 01:34 PM

Embarrassing is going to Omaha only one time the last 15 years with the teams they had in Oxford.
That?s embarrassing

Keep building that culture on getting Omaha regularly like we are doing and we will get that natty sooner than later..

bulldawg28
06-21-2019, 02:39 PM
Anyone who approaches is that way is destined to be miserable. Especially a Mississippi State sports fan.

Nah, there is more to life than MSU sports.

bulldawg28
06-21-2019, 02:41 PM
Embarrassing is going to Omaha only one time the last 15 years with the teams they had in Oxford.
That?s embarrassing

Keep building that culture on getting Omaha regularly like we are doing and we will get that natty sooner than later..

I don't care what Ole miss does. The hope is that the team will eventually get there. I think in order to elevate the team different measures should be taken in regards to strategic player development.

Hot Rock
06-21-2019, 03:31 PM

I guess of the 297 D1 baseball programs all but 8 or 10 should be shut down. All are losers. Dude, just go away. There is no way you are real State fan. Ban this guy please!

bulldawg28
06-21-2019, 05:34 PM
I guess of the 297 D1 baseball programs all but 8 or 10 should be shut down. All are losers. Dude, just go away. There is no way you are real State fan. Ban this guy please!

Get a life, go for a walk, I don't care what you do. All 297 DI teams play for 1 thing every year and that's a championship. If that's not their goal they should absolutely not keep score or quit. Stop watching the game if all you care about is participation trophies. This isn't your son's ymca league.