PDA

View Full Version : We did not leave it up to the ump

shoeless joe
06-20-2019, 11:41 PM
I hate blaming officials. And we swung the bats like shit this week...against some really good pitching mind you. On that note...I do find it funny that Cohen used to get criticized for overcoaching hitters and not letting them just play and I?m seeing gotro criticized fot not coaching them enough and allowing them to just play.

But to my main point. This team did NOT leave it up to the ump. Louisville left it up to the ump. And he obliged them. Our pitchers executed pitches. They threw pitches that had been called strikes all nite and in the 7th and 9th they weren?t called strikes. Again...we executed the pitches we wanted to throw. Even liebelt on the walks pounded the zone as they fouled pitches and when they took pitches within the zone they were called balls.

I?ve said multiple times my thoughts on college umps but I?ll say here that the guy behind the plate in this game calls multiple CWS games behind the plate every year. He?s one of the best in college baseball. Yet he?s an absolute clown behind the plate. That?s all that needs to be said about college officials.

It?s a shame it went down the way it did. Hate it for this team. Multiple players will kick themselves over things they could have done differently but those of you saying you can?t leave it up to the ump aren?t recognizing what actually occurred.

BuckyIsAB****
06-21-2019, 12:11 AM
I hate blaming officials. And we swung the bats like shit this week...against some really good pitching mind you. On that note...I do find it funny that Cohen used to get criticized for overcoaching hitters and not letting them just play and I?m seeing gotro criticized fot not coaching them enough and allowing them to just play.

But to my main point. This team did NOT leave it up to the ump. Louisville left it up to the ump. And he obliged them. Our pitchers executed pitches. They threw pitches that had been called strikes all nite and in the 7th and 9th they weren?t called strikes. Again...we executed the pitches we wanted to throw. Even liebelt on the walks pounded the zone as they fouled pitches and when they took pitches within the zone they were called balls.

I?ve said multiple times my thoughts on college umps but I?ll say here that the guy behind the plate in this game calls multiple CWS games behind the plate every year. He?s one of the best in college baseball. Yet he?s an absolute clown behind the plate. That?s all that needs to be said about college officials.

It?s a shame it went down the way it did. Hate it for this team. Multiple players will kick themselves over things they could have done differently but those of you saying you can?t leave it up to the ump aren?t recognizing what actually occurred.

Ok. All of that might be true. But what the hell can you do about it except leave no doubt? I understand this is a different game bc there is no clock and you have to give their guy a chance to hit the ball but they have to do the same for you. And we utterly failed at hitting the baseball, at least compared to our standards. Lville has no business beating us. Neither did Auburn. Yet we damn near let Auburn sneak us and we let Lville do it. The ump was shit and he should be held accountable, but we all know he wont be. So next time, be who we are and whip that ass.

mparkerfd20
06-21-2019, 09:56 AM
As our leader would say, "WRONG!"

shoeless joe
06-21-2019, 11:32 AM
As our leader would say, "WRONG!"

Please elaborate Donald...a counter point disputing what I’ve said would make for s nice read

mparkerfd20
06-21-2019, 11:42 AM
We had the lead going into the 9th. Batter that scored tying run struck out if ump was calling balls and strikes correctly. Batter that hit the tying hit struck out on the pitch before. So yeah ump played a HUGE role in the outcome of the game last night.

shoeless joe
06-21-2019, 02:54 PM
We had the lead going into the 9th. Batter that scored tying run struck out if ump was calling balls and strikes correctly. Batter that hit the tying hit struck out on the pitch before. So yeah ump played a HUGE role in the outcome of the game last night.

Agreed 100%. Which is what my post was about

shoeless joe
06-21-2019, 03:10 PM

maroonmania
06-21-2019, 08:50 PM

That is my deal. If it had just been one batter that was allowed to walk taking strike 3 I could live with that because everyone makes a bad judgement call here and there, but both batters that led off with walks in the 7th should have struck out and then the lead off guy in the 9th plus the follow up guy that drove him in. One guy reaching base that shouldn't does not turn a game around, but 4 or 5 getting on that should be outs absolutely does. Yes, we should have scored more runs but a lot of very good teams in the CWS could say that in various games. Right now Vandy thru 8 only has 1 run against UL and they have the best offense around. Against elite teams you are going to have to win sometimes in 2-1, 3-2 type games and the HP ump last night gave the game to Louisville by taking away outs from us and gifting UL with baserunner after baserunner.

mparkerfd20
06-21-2019, 11:45 PM
Sorry you're right. That's what I get for just reading your first few sentences.

timotheus
06-22-2019, 12:23 PM
If this in fact was the same plate ump we had for game 1 when Small pitched, then I know what went down.