PDA

View Full Version : This is the real reason why I don't coach baseball

Todd4State
06-20-2019, 10:48 PM
Because if I were Lemonis I would be beating the ever living hell out of that umpire right now.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-20-2019, 10:52 PM
Really? That's the reason?

shoeless joe
06-20-2019, 11:16 PM
Because if I were Lemonis I would be beating the ever living hell out of that umpire right now.

Based on things you’ve posted I’d venture to say there are multiple reasons you don’t coach baseball...
But I agree with your point here. I’ve said a million times that with the work and dedication it takes to coach at the college level I don’t see how they deal with cocksuckers like that ump

maroonmania
06-20-2019, 11:21 PM
Would give anything if college could go to an electronic strike zone. That was the worst of the worst tonight but most college umps are really bad at calling a consistent strike zone.

HoopsDawg
06-20-2019, 11:21 PM
one day we will look back and laugh that human beings called balls and strikes. b/c we just aren't capable of doing it correctly.

Dawg2003
06-20-2019, 11:30 PM
Umps really shouldn't call balls and strikes. That should be automated.

Todd4State
06-20-2019, 11:38 PM
Really? That's the reason?

YEP.

Would give anything if college could go to an electronic strike zone. That was the worst of the worst tonight but most college umps are really bad at calling a consistent strike zone.

Yep.

one day we will look back and laugh that human beings called balls and strikes. b/c we just aren't capable of doing it correctly.

And also- yep.

dantheman4248
06-20-2019, 11:43 PM
I’d have been thrown out after the second batter. First one... ok you made a mistake. Second one is just smh. I’d have come unglued. Wouldn’t have made a difference though. Lemonis knew his team and Cole responded by hitting his marks and striking out the next guy. Ump just said **** you a 3rd time.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-21-2019, 06:29 AM

So if not for that reason, then what level would you be coaching? Majors, minors, college, high school, little league? Just curious.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-21-2019, 06:45 AM
I thought it was because you couldn’t manage the “who’s mom is bringing snacks” schedule.

Maroonthirteen
06-21-2019, 07:06 AM

The technology is there. Keep the ump for plays at the plate, time outs, balks etc But give the the ump an ear piece. If the pitch is in the zone, he hears a tone. Strike called.

Todd4State
06-21-2019, 07:19 AM
So if not for that reason, then what level would you be coaching? Majors, minors, college, high school, little league? Just curious.

High school. And yes I had an opportunity to get into at one point in my life.

Political Hack
06-21-2019, 08:12 AM
Getting it absolutely right every time isn't the real issue. The lack of consistency last night was awful.

tcdog70
06-21-2019, 09:38 AM
Getting it absolutely right every time isn't the real issue. The lack of consistency last night was awful.

right what was a strike in the 1st inning was a ball in the ninth. The Ump basically made Cole throw the ball over the middle of the plate.

shoeless joe
06-21-2019, 11:24 AM
High school. And yes I had an opportunity to get into at one point in my life.

1)There are a ton of high school coaches that are average to below on the baseball scale...and a good many of them are at highly thought of schools.

2) the guys that do it at that level and do a good job absolutely love the game. It?s not about anything but the game for them. Parents are dumb, in general, and the pay sucks. But the true baseball coaches that stick it out and pour it all into the game and their boys are the elite guys.

yjnkdawg
06-21-2019, 12:00 PM
Some umps just have their own little strike zone, and unfortunately the only option is for a pitcher to try and adapt and adjust to it. However we really got squeezed on the strike zone in the latter innings. No consistency on those calls whatsoever. It would be interesting to see the criteria on how these umps are rated and how it is determined who will be umpiring in the CWS.

Dawg61
06-21-2019, 12:34 PM
You implement robots for the strike zone calls I'm done watching baseball. You'll be introducing more challenges except now it's for strikes/balls and the robots are going to 17 up and not work sometimes just like the clock stops working all the time in basketball. Really wish people would stop ruining baseball and sports. Sports aren't math problems. There's imperfections in sports. Deal with it. It makes sports way more entertaining.

tcdog70
06-21-2019, 08:57 PM
You implement robots for the strike zone calls I'm done watching baseball. You'll be introducing more challenges except now it's for strikes/balls and the robots are going to 17 up and not work sometimes just like the clock stops working all the time in basketball. Really wish people would stop ruining baseball and sports. Sports aren't math problems. There's imperfections in sports. Deal with it. It makes sports way more entertaining.

Well, for one I wasn't entertained by the ineptitude of the Ump. Elmer Fudd could have called better balls and strikes. You would think in the WS they would have a decent umpire. When the talking heads point out that the ump is suxing, it is pretty 17ing awful.

Political Hack
06-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Well, for one I wasn't entertained by the ineptitude of the Ump. Elmer Fudd could have called better balls and strikes. You would think in the WS they would have a decent umpire. When the talking heads point out that the ump is suxing, it is pretty 17ing awful.

Speaking of, I really like listening to Ben McDonald. He calls it like he sees it.

HoopsDawg
06-21-2019, 09:13 PM

I despise replay in baseball. Despise it. But I'm all for the K zone. 100% for it. And sooner rather than later.

Dawg61
06-21-2019, 10:33 PM

That's the thing you don't even realize you're being entertained by it. Having imperfections within the game adds a ton of suspense within sports. They never should of added instant replay either. It was marvelous entertainment to watch managers and umps argue all the time. Now it's totally gone from the sport.

BB30
06-22-2019, 08:20 AM

If it was an electric strike zone some of those would have still been balls. Now, not saying the ump didn't squeeze us pretty bad and changed his zone late in the game but several of those were still balls going by the K box.

If they went to a K box you could say goodbye to the pitches an inch or two off the black. There would be way more walks and the game would get slower especially at the college level. You won't see a K box as the ump in college until it's tested in pro ball.

Fader21
06-22-2019, 09:25 AM
You get A.I. into sports and you will see teams trying to hack into the systems.

Pollodawg
06-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Which one of our players was supposedly going off about the ump in the locker room? Heard Joel T mention on T&L

Cooterpoot
06-22-2019, 09:49 AM
Skelton said the ump sucked. An ever-changing zone destroys the game. Neither pitchers nor hitters like it. That was the issue. Not simply a missed pitch here or there as usual.

maroonmania
06-22-2019, 09:59 AM
If it was an electric strike zone some of those would have still been balls. Now, not saying the ump didn't squeeze us pretty bad and chaWnged his zone late in the game but several of those were still balls going by the K box.

If they went to a K box you could say goodbye to the pitches an inch or two off the black. There would be way more walks and the game would get slower especially at the college level. You won't see a K box as the ump in college until it's tested in pro ball.

Well I know the first guy in the 7th inning would have struck out. The 3rd strike to him didn't even touch a line on the box they showed it was so much in the meat of the strike zone. You are correct though that the "human" ump always seems to give a little more on the corners in college than the actual box shows but the problem with the guy the other night is that while he wouldn't call anything in the upper part of the strike zone a strike, he was also not giving anything right at the bottom border either. But the biggest issue is the inconsistency from one part of the game to the next. If college guys had a consistent strike zone that an electronic zone gives they would adjust. You can't adjust to what you don't know. Also, I don't like that bias can hide behind "well that was just human error". Not saying the guy the other night was biased against us but the same guy gave Ethan Small fits as well the previous Sunday night.

WSOPdawg
06-22-2019, 10:13 AM
Not to take anything away from Louisville because they capitalized when the ump handed them the opportunity, but Lemonis should have been out of the dugout in the umpire's face WHEN the field ump came over to get onto our guys in the dugout in 9th inning.

Coach should have at least came out on the field to "work the officials" as it's done in both football and basketball. Can't ever imagine Mullen or Saban or Pearl or Calipari NOT working those officials late in the game.

Cohen would have been face-to-face with that field umpire in the 9th if he came over to jaw with our guys in the dugout... just saying!

Dawg61
06-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Our hitting was once again too atrocious in Omaha to blame our exit on borderline ball/strike calls. We can't hit for shit in that park.

maroonmania
06-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Our hitting was once again too atrocious in Omaha to blame our exit on borderline ball/strike calls. We can't hit for shit in that park.

Flat out disagree. While I certainly wish our offense had been better Louisville does have a very good pitching staff. And Vandy probably has an even better offense than we do and they beat Louisville TWICE scoring only 3 runs.

timotheus
06-22-2019, 12:11 PM
We better improve our pitch recognition and cease swinging at pitches the never come close to the strike zone. And start finding some freshman pitcher who is game ready.