PDA

View Full Version : Should the cowboys trade dak?

msstate7
06-20-2019, 04:35 PM
Don't shoot me... it's what this article is about.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/06/dak-prescott-dallas-cowboys-trade

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2019, 04:39 PM
No, but it's super good idea to get a local writer to write this story to provide leverage against Dak in contract negotiations.

The Cowboys know Dak is a Cowboy through & through & they don't want to trade him, but they need some leverage in contract negotiations & a mild threat like this can help them.

In exchange the writer of this story will receive an exclusive interview or more access

Cowbell
06-20-2019, 04:39 PM

I?m hearing nothing but really good things out of mini camp out here. Even the defense has remarked on how much the offense is already changed. Sean Lee considers it a challenge to stop them.

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2019, 04:44 PM
Dak is in a bit of pickle in that his numbers & winning percentage are better than he is as a player.

The issue is that Dak has a responsibility to other players that will come after him & to the Player's Union to seek the maximum dollar figure he can get. On the hand, Dak is only worth about 22-25 mil per year.

So what does he do?

Does he accept a lower dollar figure & piss off other players & the Player Union or does he do what in the best interest of his long term career & accept less money so the Cowboys can build around him?

Dawgology
06-20-2019, 04:45 PM

Negotiations between Dak's agent and the Cowboys must be really heating up for an article like this to hit. Looks like one of those leverage articles that float out there from "journalists" when college coach contract negotiation season rolls around. I'm biased in this but I think the Cowboys would be foolish to trade Dak....but...Jerry has done plenty of dumb stuff in the past.

Dawgology
06-20-2019, 04:46 PM
No, but it's super good idea to get a local writer to write this story to provide leverage against Dak in contract negotiations.

The Cowboys know Dak is a Cowboy through & through & they don't want to trade him, but they need some leverage in contract negotiations & a mild threat like this can help them.

In exchange the writer of this story will receive an exclusive interview or more access

We must have typed this at the same time haha

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Negotiations between Dak's agent and the Cowboys must be really heating up for an article like this to hit. Looks like one of those leverage articles that float out there from "journalists" when college coach contract negotiation season rolls around. I'm biased in this but I think the Cowboys would be foolish to trade Dak....but...Jerry has done plenty of dumb stuff in the past.

They won't trade him because they draft has already passed & they have a team ready to win now.

There is no threat of a trade. This article is just the Cowboys trying to get some leverage. The Cowboys love Dak, but if this article helps them save a couple million per year, they'll do it.

dawgs
06-20-2019, 05:01 PM
They won't trade him because they draft has already passed & they have a team ready to win now.

There is no threat of a trade. This article is just the Cowboys trying to get some leverage. The Cowboys love Dak, but if this article helps them save a couple million per year, they'll do it.

Yep, that's the rub. If you have a QB on a rookie deal you are considering signing long term for big money, that means you've been building a roster to win now. When the QB's turn to get paid rolls around, there's not often a fall back cheaper plan, so letting the QB walk or trading them means giving up your window to win. The team is usually pretty good if they are thinking of handing the QB a $30M, so there's not a stockpile of highly drafted QBs considered to be "sure things" behind the starter ready to take over. Even if they have a high pick, hard to predict competing for a super bowl in a guys first year starting. So when you are a franchise like the cowboys who are built to win and your QB has been really good, but not great, then what do you do? You pretty much have to pay the guy.

On the bright side, by the time the back end of the deal circles around, the cap his is usually pretty reasonable.

CadaverDawg
06-20-2019, 05:10 PM
The cowboys were having so much more success before Dak arrived, so they should definitely trade him.***

That franchise and fan base deserves misery if they trade Dak. The fact that a huge majority of their fan base would rather have Romo back than Dak right now, tells you everything you need to know about those idiots. If they trade him, I hope they never win again. Not bc it's Dak, but bc this QB has done more for your franchise since Aikman and your fan base is shitting all over him. They don't deserve Dak. F em

And the Cowboys have always been my second favorite team, but I'm done with em if they run Dak out of town.

BeardoMSU
06-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Even the defense has remarked on how much the offense is already changed. Sean Lee considers it a challenge to stop them without breaking every bone in his body.

FIFY**

Seriously, though....that's all great news to hear. I've been saying it for 2 years (along with others) that Linehan was like an engine-regulator for that offense. He was soooo predictable. Not to mention, hardly any bootlegs, designed QB runs, or even option plays in the red zone.

RiverCityDawg
06-20-2019, 06:15 PM
Dak is in a bit of pickle in that his numbers & winning percentage are better than he is as a player.

The issue is that Dak has a responsibility to other players that will come after him & to the Player's Union to seek the maximum dollar figure he can get. On the hand, Dak is only worth about 22-25 mil per year.

So what does he do?

Does he accept a lower dollar figure & piss off other players & the Player Union or does he do what in the best interest of his long term career & accept less money so the Cowboys can build around him?

Dallas has plenty of money and cap space to pay him the going rate for a franchise QB (32M+ thanks to Wentz) and still build around him. The cap is going up next year and in two years Dak's deal will look like a bargain. It's the price of having a reliable WINNING starting QB in the NFL. Not sure where you are getting your random ass 22-25 figure, but that's preposterous. He's in no pickle whatsoever. He's way outperformed his current deal and is about to have a great year with a proper receiving group around him and hopefully a healthy OL for the first time in a couple years. He's going to get paid and everyone knows it. This is just a smart article to get clicks and has no basis in reality.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-20-2019, 06:44 PM
Get your $30-34mil Dak. Don't take a penny less. He has all the leverage.

msstate7
06-20-2019, 06:48 PM

Great for dak. Horrible for Dallas

Ifyouonlyknew
06-20-2019, 06:57 PM
Great for dak. Horrible for Dallas

*shoulder shrug emoji*

msstate7
06-20-2019, 07:01 PM
*shoulder shrug emoji*

Horrible was too strong of a word. I do think that contract favors dak much more than the cowboys though

dawgs
06-20-2019, 07:07 PM
Horrible was too strong of a word. I do think that contract favors dak much more than the cowboys though

Eh, so long as your QB doesn't turn into Flacco or Eli of recent years and suddenly forget how to pass the ball, the deal won't put them at a disadvantage relative the rest of the least with non-rookie QBs.

BuckyIsAB****
06-20-2019, 07:34 PM

Take less and win super bowls

Dawgology
06-20-2019, 07:38 PM

This and I think Dak would do that.

msstate7
06-20-2019, 07:40 PM

You don't see that much... Brady and brees are about the only ones that do it. They already filthy rich

BeardoMSU
06-20-2019, 08:36 PM
You don't see that much... Brady and brees are about the only ones that do it. They already filthy rich

Plus the cap is about to go up, and that is just the going rate for top-half of the league QB's (which Dak is)....shit, it's worth it just to have a stable presence at the position that won't lose you games. Also, considering other big names are about to come up for their contracts, too (coupled with the raise in cap money), $30+ mil a year for Dak won't seem so far fetched in a couple years.