Choctaw Dawg
06-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Well that sucks

mparkerfd20
06-18-2019, 03:39 PM
Well shit

drunkernhelldawg
06-18-2019, 03:42 PM
So we're probably going to playing during the day. That's inconvenient.

StarkVegasSteve
06-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Vandy twitter saying 1 tomorrow

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 03:51 PM
That sucks.

I had the beer ready

https://twitter.com/HailStateBB/status/1141085228724826113

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 03:53 PM
What does this mean as far as the turnaround should we win or lose?

msudawglb
06-18-2019, 03:54 PM
well, my work day tomorrow is shot. At least I can stream the game...which is why my work day is shot.

RocketDawg
06-18-2019, 03:55 PM
Wonder what ESPN it'll be broadcast on. Could either be the flagship or ESPN2. It's gonna be hard to set the DVR unless they decide in advance and let us know. I plan to be on the golf course at noon tomorrow.

StarkVegasSteve
06-18-2019, 03:55 PM
What does this mean as far as the turnaround should we win or lose?

The winner basically punches their ticket to the finals. The loser would have to play Thursday, Friday, Saturday with no breaks to come out of that bracket and the winner would get a break until Friday.

Basically a game that was already very important just got ramped up even more in importance.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 03:59 PM
The good news is that sliders are easier to pick up out of the hand during the day time than at night.

Kumar's job just a got a little more difficult.

DownwardDawg
06-18-2019, 04:01 PM
I hate it for GreenheadDawg.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 04:02 PM
On the the other hand, this is kind of BS as far as the CWS goes. It basically means while our side of bracket will be scrambling to find pitching, Michigan gets a full 2 days rest over the other bracket from which to bring pitchers back.

Kind of BS

GreenheadDawg
06-18-2019, 04:03 PM
I hate it for GreenheadDawg.

We are pretty devastated. Haven’t been this excited for a trip in a long time. It is what is I guess.

Fader21
06-18-2019, 04:05 PM
Damn I am in a meeting tomorrow at that time.

msudawglb
06-18-2019, 04:05 PM
On the the other hand, this is kind of BS as far as the CWS goes. It basically means while our side of bracket will be scrambling to find pitching, Michigan gets a full 2 days rest over the other bracket from which to bring pitchers back.

Kind of BS

It won't matter either way when it comes to the championship series.

RocketDawg
06-18-2019, 04:07 PM
We are pretty devastated. Haven’t been this excited for a trip in a long time. It is what is I guess.

You can't stick around for the game?

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 04:07 PM
It won't matter either way when it comes to the championship series.

Why is that?

HereComesTheSpiral
06-18-2019, 04:12 PM

In the same boat, have a 6am flight out of Des Moines so this game had to start on time for me to make it. Guess I will be doing some day drinking tomorrow after I get home.

msudawglb
06-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Why is that?

We are only talking about moving one game over a day with the rest of the schedule staying the same. We won't throw Small again unless its the final game of our bracket on Saturday....hopefully not until the first game of the championship series.

Cooterpoot
06-18-2019, 04:13 PM
Why we complaining about having to play all those games if we lose?
1. We aren’t losing.
2. Loser should’ve won and they wouldn’t have a complaint.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-18-2019, 04:22 PM
The good news is that sliders are easier to pick up out of the hand during the day time than at night.

And he gets 18 more hours of rest, which I'd think is a far bigger deal than the lighting is

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 04:24 PM
And he gets 18 more hours of rest, which I'd think is a far bigger deal than the lighting is

Maybe. He's already over a week of rest as it is, so I'm not sure how much one more day will help.

I'd rather it be sunny & be able to pick up his slider out of his hand

msudawglb
06-18-2019, 04:25 PM

He's already had 10 days rest...what's another day.

GreenheadDawg
06-18-2019, 04:50 PM
You can't stick around for the game?

Trying to change flights now. I have the whole week off so I?m good but my dad has patients to see on Thursday so that?s the latest we can leave.

timotheus
06-18-2019, 05:00 PM
So so we play at 1 tomorrow regardless of whether auburn finishes their game tonite?

shoeless joe
06-18-2019, 05:14 PM
1 eastern is what I just saw. Noon our time

DawgNsuds
06-18-2019, 05:17 PM
So so we play at 1 tomorrow regardless of whether auburn finishes their game tonite?

ESPN just showed it as 1 EST, so noon (who knows). Also, based on the weather, that would be a targeted time. As you point out, the conclusion of the Auburn game will dictate if that is reality. I think the message here is keep an eye on twitter etc and be as flexible as you can.

shoeless joe
06-18-2019, 05:17 PM

Hmmm...think you?ve got that backwards. Always been common knowledge that sliders are easier to see under the lights. Now if you?re talking shitty Magee, MS city field lights then I?m sure the daylight is better

RocketDawg
06-18-2019, 05:49 PM
1 eastern is what I just saw. Noon our time

Hailstate.com has 1:00, which is supposed to be Central. But it could be in error. We'll probably know more later tonight or morning.

RocketDawg
06-18-2019, 05:55 PM
What's the latest they will start to finish the Auburn game tonight? Radar looks like rain will continue for a while.

RocketDawg
06-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Trying to change flights now. I have the whole week off so I?m good but my dad has patients to see on Thursday so that?s the latest we can leave.

OK. Hope things work out well for you, and we should be able to get the game in tomorrow.

Cloak
06-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Wow. So ****ing stupid. Will be working with 0 chance to updates until 5pm

mparkerfd20
06-18-2019, 06:15 PM
Hmmm...think you?ve got that backwards. Always been common knowledge that sliders are easier to see under the lights. Now if you?re talking shitty Magee, MS city field lights then I?m sure the daylight is better

Hey we're proud of our shitty lights in Magee.

shoeless joe
06-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Hey we're proud of our shitty lights in Magee.

Ha...I hear ya. I remember goin down there for summer ball and Mitch mangum, yeah jakes cousin, was throwing 90+ and those lights were so awful nobody had a shot. A pop up went up at one point and nobody had a clue where it was. This was the old city field rite off 49 back in the trees.

HoopsDawg
06-18-2019, 06:26 PM
Unpopular take, but I'm going to say it, the CWS shouldn't be in Omaha. 7 of the 8 teams from the south,and it's a long ass way to Omaha for the SEC teams and teams like Florida State. Also, June is freaking monsoon season in Nebraska. Rain is almost always a major factor. And that stadium sucks when the wind is blowing in.

State82
06-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Unpopular take, but I'm going to say it, the CWS shouldn't be in Omaha. 7 of the 8 teams from the south,and it's a long ass way to Omaha for the SEC teams and teams like Florida State. Also, June is freaking monsoon season in Nebraska. Rain is almost always a major factor. And that stadium sucks when the wind is blowing in.

Omaha is too entrenched as being synonymous with the CWS. It is where the CWS needs to be.

preachermatt83
06-18-2019, 06:39 PM

I actually thought the exact same thing

preachermatt83
06-18-2019, 06:43 PM

They got turf tho. Lol

msstate7
06-18-2019, 06:47 PM

Wish a deal could be struck where suntrust park hosted it. It'd cost my braves a long road trip every season, but man, the CWS would be awesome

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Maybe. He's already over a week of rest as it is, so I'm not sure how much one more day will help.

He's already had 10 days rest...what's another day.

OK there's 2 mutually exclusive views going on:

1) he's already had so much rest another day won't matter,

2) he threw 130 pitches so he'll be off his A game

Can't have both. Either he's worn out and needs the rest OR he will be fresh

The Federalist Engineer
06-18-2019, 06:53 PM

Entrenched to who, just asking.

It should rotate to cities with decent airports. Dallas, Atlanta, Or even DC. Omaha sucks, my previous company had to shut offices in Omaha because it's too hard to staff with world class talent.

You can't even sandwich Omaha during a business trip. Like, gotta go to Munich, will extend layover in Atlanta first.

Todd4State
06-18-2019, 07:02 PM

To my understanding the loser's bracket game has to finish before ours. If the NCAA uses common sense (And they might but not holding my breath) they should just push everyone back a day. I believe there is some wiggle room where that can happen.

Todd4State
06-18-2019, 07:04 PM
Wish a deal could be struck where suntrust park hosted it. It'd cost my braves a long road trip every season, but man, the CWS would be awesome

The Royals have a AAA team in Omaha and they actually have their own separate stadium.

I think Atlanta could work with the Gwinnett County stadium since they are the worst drawing team in AAA and it wouldn't surprise me if the Braves move out of there.

Todd4State
06-18-2019, 07:06 PM

It should rotate to cities with decent airports. Dallas, Atlanta, Or even DC. Omaha sucks, my previous company had to shut offices in Omaha because it's too hard to staff with world class talent.

You can't even sandwich Omaha during a business trip. Like, gotta go to Munich, will extend layover in Atlanta first.

The issue is you would have to have a stadium that would hold 20K+ plus and that's against the trend of most minor league stadiums.

Homedawg
06-18-2019, 07:13 PM
The weather in the south or Midwest is going to be a crap shoot. A big city, meaning bigger than Omaha, won't give two craps about having it. Omaha embraces it and where it needs to stay. It's also about as central as one can get.

Todd4State
06-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Louisville and Auburn postponed until tomorrow at 11:00 in the AM. That almost certainly will push our game back some.

GreenheadDawg
06-18-2019, 07:32 PM
The weather in the south or Midwest is going to be a crap shoot. A big city, meaning bigger than Omaha, won't give two craps about having it. Omaha embraces it and where it needs to stay. It's also about as central as one can get.

I tried to PM you back but your inbox is full. We got our flight changed, got the last 2 tickets on delta Thursday morning. So hopefully something crazy doesn’t happen and we get to see our game tomorrow.

Homedawg
06-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Louisville and Auburn postponed until tomorrow at 11:00 in the AM. That almost certainly will push our game back some.

65 mins after is what is said. So, 2:30 ish is a Guess

HoopsDawg
06-18-2019, 08:15 PM

Nashville would be a great place but I think the stadium only holds 10K or so.

RougeDawg
06-18-2019, 08:35 PM
A place and park like Houston would be ideal. Can use the roof if you need to and all games go as scheduled. Two airports. Ample lodging.

Cooterpoot
06-18-2019, 08:46 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/vmgKc72Y/727-B46-FA-7028-449-B-B9-A9-7-AAABCBB9-CD9.jpg

HoopsDawg
06-18-2019, 10:29 PM
A place and park like Houston would be ideal. Can use the roof if you need to and all games go as scheduled. Two airports. Ample lodging.

That would be cool.

Dawgcap
06-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Wasn’t there a rainout about this time last year we were involved in and I’m thinking the weather affected the same areas some proposed would solve this problem. We have played all year battling weather. At least we have a few complaining over the weather and not the players!! Haha

Todd4State
06-18-2019, 11:36 PM
Wasn’t there a rainout about this time last year we were involved in and I’m thinking the weather affected the same areas some proposed would solve this problem. We have played all year battling weather. At least we have a few complaining over the weather and not the players!! Haha

Or self-righteous holier than thou fans complaining about our fans complaining about our teams in the heat of battle during the most important games of the year.

CadaverDawg
06-19-2019, 12:05 AM
Or self-righteous holier than thou fans complaining about our fans complaining about our teams in the heat of battle during the most important games of the year.

+1

CadaverDawg
06-19-2019, 12:06 AM

Great point. Houston would be perfect.

deadheaddawg
06-19-2019, 12:16 AM

It's like our stadium. It's a special magic place that isnt for everyone. Just like everyone has an opportunity to buy season tickets to the dude, it's your fault if you can't figure out how to work a business trip around it.

It should stay in Omaha. The series should not be moved because you can't make it

msstate7
06-19-2019, 06:27 AM
The point about Omaha really embracing the CWS is a good one. I still wouldn't mind it being bid on by other cities like the final 4, mlb AS game, and super bowl... perhaps moving it around to other places could spark more interest in the sport. I'd keep every 5th one in Omaha though, years that end in 0 and 5

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2019, 08:24 AM
Great point. Houston would be perfect.

To big.

I don't want the CWS in an MLB ballpark because there would be too many empty seats.

I also don't want it in a Minor League park because it's too small.

Omaha's 25K seat stadium is perfect for this event.

My only issue with Omaha is that it isn't close to anything.

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2019, 08:25 AM
The point about Omaha really embracing the CWS is a good one. I still wouldn't mind it being bid on by other cities like the final 4, mlb AS game, and super bowl... perhaps moving it around to other places could spark more interest in the sport. I'd keep every 5th one in Omaha though, years that end in 0 and 5

I'd do every other year in Omaha.

Not sure what ballparks fit the mold of what would be needed.

drunkernhelldawg
06-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Is it streaming only today?

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Is it streaming only today?

No. ESPN

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-19-2019, 08:46 AM
The winner basically punches their ticket to the finals. The loser would have to play Thursday, Friday, Saturday with no breaks to come out of that bracket and the winner would get a break until Friday.

Basically a game that was already very important just got ramped up even more in importance.

If there is any team that can overcome that, it is Mississippi State. Nothing would surprise me with this bunch. I hope we don't have to face that task though.

smootness
06-19-2019, 08:51 AM
It will always be in Omaha and probably should be. There's no real use in discussing it. It just kind of stinks that that's where it has been established.

msbulldog
06-19-2019, 08:58 AM
according to NCAA site:
Aub. v. Lou. 11:00 am CDT
Vandy v. MSU 1:00 pm CDT
Tex Tech v. FSU 6:00 pm CDT

drunkernhelldawg
06-19-2019, 09:01 AM
If there is any team that can overcome that, it is Mississippi State. Nothing would surprise me with this bunch. I hope we don't have to face that task though.

Me too. I agree that we're still in it regardless.

BrunswickDawg
06-19-2019, 09:08 AM
I'd do every other year in Omaha.

Not sure what ballparks fit the mold of what would be needed.

There really aren't any. TD holds 25,000. The smallest MLB parks are Tampa (31K), Cleveland (35k), Miami (36k), KC (38k), Fenway (38k - which having the CWS in Fenway would be wicked awesome), Pitt (38k) and Minnesota (38k). You might - might - be able to keep the "coziness" of TD in those, but you also risk losing fan bases for travel because expenses would be higher.

If you go lower, you have Sahlen Field in Buffalo (18k), DNF (15k listed capacity, 13k seats), Salt Lake (15k), Indy (14k), Mesa AZ (14k). I think you lose too much with dropping 10k fans.

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2019, 09:21 AM
There really aren't any. TD holds 25,000. The smallest MLB parks are Tampa (31K), Cleveland (35k), Miami (36k), KC (38k), Fenway (38k - which having the CWS in Fenway would be wicked awesome), Pitt (38k) and Minnesota (38k). You might - might - be able to keep the "coziness" of TD in those, but you also risk losing fan bases for travel because expenses would be higher.

If you go lower, you have Sahlen Field in Buffalo (18k), DNF (15k listed capacity, 13k seats), Salt Lake (15k), Indy (14k), Mesa AZ (14k). I think you lose too much with dropping 10k fans.

Yeah. Omaha has created a sort of monopoly because of it's stadium size.

All the minor league stadiums are too small & the MLB stadiums too big

RougeDawg
06-19-2019, 10:04 AM

I think you and gun are getting away from the premise that started this entire conversation. Ease of access and rainouts. If anyone believes Houston is not the best option to solve both issues, the argument really should end there. Because it is no longer an argument, it?s a wish list of stadiums you would like to see host that would still all have the possibility of the issue that caused the thread to began with. Summer rainouts. Tampa is a 2nd option but not centrally located.

Liverpooldawg
06-19-2019, 10:34 AM
I don't think you are going to get any MLB team to take a two week road trip without paying them a BOATLOAD of money. This is a moot point anyway because it's not going any where. Personally I think it would be great if the Final Four and the Football playoffs were at fixed sites.

deadheaddawg
06-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Putting the CWS in a large city like Houston is a terrible idea for a lot of reasons. And it might make attendance go down... not up.

In a large city the locals would not care about it at all. You would move the radar on anyone in Houston. Be lucky to get coverage on the back page of the paper. If you put it in Houston, most of the people in the city would never even know

There is just too much going on in a city like Houston or Tampa. Atlanta would have a few SEC fans but that's it. Even a smaller big city like Memphis, you are not getting anyone out to the park unless they are fans of a team playing

I'm not sure how many local Omaha people go to the games, but the town seems to embrace it. And however many people it is, you can subtract that number from the attendance if you move it to another bigger city.

Would the actual teams playing bring in enough new people to offset that?

msstate7
06-19-2019, 11:04 AM
Putting the CWS in a large city like Houston is a terrible idea. And would probably make attendance go down not up.

In a large city the locals would not care about it at all. You would move the radar on anyone in Houston. Be lucky to get coverage on the back page of the paper.

There is just too much going on in a city like Houston or Tampa. Atlanta would have a few SEC fans but that's it. Even a smaller big city like Memphis, you are not getting anyone out to the park unless they are fans of a team playing

I'm not sure how many local Omaha people go to the games, but the town seems to embrace it. And however many people it is, you can subtract that number from the attendance if you move it to another bigger city.

Would the actual teams playing bring in enough new people to offset that?

It would be interesting to see how attendance varies when an sec team plays in a cws game and when there isn't an sec team. Guessing, I think there's a stark difference. If my assumption is correct, I think somewhere in sec country would kill it as long as sec teams are involved, and they usually are

ShotgunDawg
06-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Personally I think it would be great if the Final Four and the Football playoffs were at fixed sites.

Baseball - Omaha
Basketball - Indianapolis. Indy is the natural home of the Final 4. Easy to get to & passionate about the game
Football - Flip a coin between Rose, Sugar, Cotton, or Atlanta. I'm not a big fan of Miami, San Fran, or anywhere else for the CFB title.

deadheaddawg
06-19-2019, 11:13 AM
It would be interesting to see how attendance varies when an sec team plays in a cws game and when there isn't an sec team. Guessing, I think there's a stark difference. If my assumption is correct, I think somewhere in sec country would kill it as long as sec teams are involved, and they usually are

I am not sure how they count attendance. Not sure if it is tickets sold or butts in the seats, but the official attendance from this year has

State vs Auburn. Sunday Night. 22,671
Michigan vs FSU. Monday Night. 23,541

So an all SEC night matchup didn't draw as many as an non SEC matchup the next night. My guess is Omaha locals pulling for the Big Ten or Locals pulling for the Mike Martin story might have made a difference (and of course there might have been a lot of state fans at the UM vs FSU game)

But that is a comparable time and day (both were night games before work days). Honestly I would have though the Sunday night game would draw more just because sunday isn't a work day. But the non sec game outdrew the SEC game. However it happened, I bet the locals were a big part....and you will not get that in a bigger city

msstate7
06-19-2019, 11:16 AM
I am not sure how they count attendance. Not sure if it is tickets sold or butts in the seats, but the official attendance from this year has

So an all SEC night matchup didn't draw as many as an non SEC matchup the next night. My guess is Omaha locals pulling for the Big Ten or Locals pulling for the Mike Martin story might have made a difference (and of course there might have been a lot of state fans at the UM vs FSU game)

Interesting. Looks my assumption was wrong

deadheaddawg
06-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Interesting. Looks my assumption was wrong

I think you are right that an SEC game in SEC country would draw a bigger number. State vs Auburn in ATL would kill it...it would be a bigger number than we had in Omaha.......so I thing you would be right in the fact that SEC game attendance would go up from where it is now....but every other game attendance would go down. Because the ATL locals would not support the CWS like Omaha does.

So for the overall health of the CWS I think it should stay in Omaha. Now you get a constant 22k - 26k for every game. In a bigger city I think you would see numbers much lower than 22k for some games and much higher than 26k for some games. It would be a lot more inconsistent IMHO

Cooterpoot
06-19-2019, 11:28 AM

But that is a comparable time and day (both were night games before work days). Honestly I would have though the Sunday night game would draw more just because sunday isn't a work day. But the non sec game outdrew the SEC game. However it happened, I bet the locals were a big part....and you will not get that in a bigger city

One was a 1st round game, the other a winners bracket.

drunkernhelldawg
06-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Maybe SEC fans are more interested in the game and they attend the non SEC games more than the other fans.

fieldcorporal
06-19-2019, 02:03 PM
I thought the construction of TD Ameritrade resulted in a long term (20 years?) commitment of CWS to Omaha.

Seems like I remember something like that?

Just looked at the indubitably authoritative Wikipedia:

On June 10, 2009, the NCAA and College World Series of Omaha, Inc., which is the non-profit group that organizes the event, announced a new 25-year contract extension, keeping the CWS in Omaha through 2035.

so, a moot (not mute) conversation...