PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hear the announcers talking about Small

AlSwearengen
06-17-2019, 07:43 PM
And insinuating that he wanted to go to Vandy but it didn?t work out. I took it to mean that they passed on him.

Must be nice to be Vandy.

IMissJack
06-17-2019, 08:06 PM
It must be nice to have special scholarships...

HoopsDawg
06-17-2019, 08:18 PM
And insinuating that he wanted to go to Vandy but it didn?t work out. I took it to mean that they passed on him.

The NCAA allows them to have a competitive advantage. It's ridiculous. Everyone knows it, but nothing is done about it.

Jack Lambert
06-17-2019, 08:25 PM

I wish these commentators would say something about that. Until the other three P5 conference start taking baseball seriously it will not happen. Why in the world would they vote against one more paid coach?

MetEdDawg
06-17-2019, 09:31 PM
I wish these commentators would say something about that. Until the other three P5 conference start taking baseball seriously it will not happen. Why in the world would they vote against one more paid coach?

Because baseball is a non revenue sport in most places, even in P5. What we have to remember is that we are by far the exception to the rule in baseball. Many are not profitable and paying for another coach digs many universities into more of a hole.

Then inside of the haves you have the private institutions that can whatever they want. For the elite programs like us and LSU and a few others, we recruit and coach well enough to compete with Vandy. But realistically there's about 10-12 teams that could ever consider competing with Vandy. And the SEC has the majority of them. Us, Florida, Arkansas, LSU, and Georgia (Hope scholarship) could compete with Vandy consistently. UCLA, Texas Tech, Louisville, FSU, and a couple others have the infrastructure to do it as well.

Todd4State
06-17-2019, 09:38 PM
Small was actually originally committed to Austin Peay and then blew up in between his junior and senior years. He decommitted and it was between MSU and Vanderbilt and we landed him. It was a very big flip at the time and I don't think Vandy would have passed on him.

Todd4State
06-17-2019, 09:40 PM

It's going to be interesting to me to see how a lottery in Mississippi could affect college baseball.

I say that fully expecting Ole Miss politicians to embezzle it.

IMissJack
06-17-2019, 09:52 PM
Because baseball is a non revenue sport in most places, even in P5. What we have to remember is that we are by far the exception to the rule in baseball. Many are not profitable and paying for another coach digs many universities into more of a hole.

Then inside of the haves you have the private institutions that can whatever they want. For the elite programs like us and LSU and a few others, we recruit and coach well enough to compete with Vandy. But realistically there's about 10-12 teams that could ever consider competing with Vandy. And the SEC has the majority of them. Us, Florida, Arkansas, LSU, and Georgia (Hope scholarship) could compete with Vandy consistently. UCLA, Texas Tech, Louisville, FSU, and a couple others have the infrastructure to do it as well.

I don't disagree with anything you just wrote, but the same could be said for most all other men's sports outside of Football and basketball, and almost all women's sports. Even men's basketball at many schools is not a revenue producer, it is a net negative. Our women's basketball program is very different than most other programs, other than CT, ND, and a few special cases (again many of which are in the SEC).

Bdawg
06-17-2019, 09:56 PM

Thing is, adding that paid coach could be optional, so it's not like they were forcing anyone's hand. Sounds like to me the people who voted against it were being little bitches and didn't want the schools who wanted the coaches to have the ability to pay them.

Todd4State
06-17-2019, 10:10 PM
Thing is, adding that paid coach could be optional, so it's not like they were forcing anyone's hand. Sounds like to me the people who voted against it were being little bitches and didn't want the schools who wanted the coaches to have the ability to pay them.

College baseball needs to split into divisions like football has FBS and FCS. Badly. People like Holy Cross are in D-1 and can't compete on a National level and don't care to. And thus don't want to pay to. That also goes for scholarships and that is actually the biggest reason for the 11.7 thing.

If say the SEC, PAC 12, ACC, Big 12, Big 10 (maybe if they really want to), Big West, C-USA, AAC and Sun Belt formed their division it would help things immensely. And if there are stragglers like Wichita State that care they can find their way into one of those conferences or operate as an independent.

Splitting up is the first major step to fixing things in college baseball. And the third assistant thing might be what sparks some kind of actual change in that direction. But we'll see.

MetEdDawg
06-17-2019, 10:15 PM

Problem is then it becomes a perception game. Let's say you are a mid tier ACC program and you decide not to pay a 3rd assistant while 8 other teams in conference decide to pay a 3rd staff member. Then perception is that you don't care about baseball and that's a bad look for fans and for recruiting. When everyone is on a level playing field it's easier to hide the fact you don't care.

And your last couple statements are mostly correct. The conferences and school that's don't care voted no. The ones that do voted yes (I believe Oregon State was a no which shocked a lot of folks. AD and coaches not on same page). The have nots didn't want the haves to widen the gap, which this would have done.

I'm all for the 3rd paid assistant. But it should be mandatory across both baseball AND softball (Title XI issues if you do it for baseball and not softball). I think if you are going to play baseball on the collegiate level you should be paying a hitting coach, a pitching coach, and one additional base coach. For us with Cheese and LA, LA gets the pay shaft. But he gets good experience and can eventually leave and get a better job and get paid.

Lord McBuckethead
06-17-2019, 10:28 PM

What is stopping the MSU foundation from paying a dude a "salary" of 200k? Works for the foundation, but volunteers for the baseball team.

preachermatt83
06-17-2019, 11:00 PM
What is stopping the MSU foundation from paying a dude a "salary" of 200k? Works for the foundation, but volunteers for the baseball team.

I’ve often wondered this as well... however it wouldn’t even have to be half of that.

msbulldog
06-18-2019, 06:25 AM
It's going to be interesting to me to see how a lottery in Mississippi could affect college baseball.

It has never and will never be lottery money in Mississippi for scholarships, that's just dreaming.

BrunswickDawg
06-18-2019, 07:32 AM

I’ve often wondered this as well... however it wouldn’t even have to be half of that.

That's basically the system now with our "Volunteer Assistant". They are administrative employees of the Athletic Department - which is why they have duties like "Camps Coordinator". We have 3 people - Cheesebrough (Camps Coordinator/Volunteer Assistant), Rodeheaver (Coordinator of Baseball Operations), and Younger (Coordinator of Player Development). Just like Saban and his "analysts" who are all former D1 HC's - schools put people in those rolls who act as extra coaches.

Choctaw Dawg
06-18-2019, 08:24 AM
I don't disagree with anything you just wrote, but the same could be said for most all other men's sports outside of Football and basketball, and almost all women's sports. Even men's basketball at many schools is not a revenue producer, it is a net negative. Our women's basketball program is very different than most other programs, other than CT, ND, and a few special cases (again many of which are in the SEC).

Womens basketball is the biggest money loser for the NCAA according the recent statistics, baseball is the fourth biggest money loser for the NCAA. All other minor sports break even but the biggest generators are by far football and mens basketball who make it possible for the NCAA to come out not losing money every year.

KentuckyDawg13
06-18-2019, 08:43 AM
Website with some stats for you.
https://www.onthebanks.com/2011/12/11/2628354/which-college-sports-make-or-lose-money

Liverpooldawg
06-18-2019, 09:12 AM

It wont have any effect at all. I think that money is already earmarked for highways.

Choctaw Dawg
06-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Website with some stats for you.
https://www.onthebanks.com/2011/12/11/2628354/which-college-sports-make-or-lose-money

Christ thats pretty bad, the women that play sports should be glad Title IX exists because no program would have women's sports if that spreadsheet is accurate across the landscape like it was ten years ago

R2Dawg
06-18-2019, 08:39 PM

They couldn't seem to find much positive about out team watching the game. All Aub then had to basically saw that we got lucky to get Small. I'd rather they just not say anything.

The Federalist Engineer
06-18-2019, 11:40 PM
Christ thats pretty bad, the women that play sports should be glad Title IX exists because no program would have women's sports if that spreadsheet is accurate across the landscape like it was ten years ago

Bringing this back to baseball

This chart and stuff below was in the "Advocate", a Louisiana paper. It's from 2015-2016. Does not seem correct. How did Vandy generate all this revenue, unless it's from the CWS they were runners-up and hosting regionals. Plus we had a terrible 2015.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/theadvocate.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/5a/35afdd00-4703-11e7-8562-53965cba7eb1/59306f6ce3c70.image.jpg?resize=750%2C454

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/theadvocate.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/03/403cfa28-4703-11e7-a558-bb85283d7c5f/59319af64936b.image.jpg?resize=400%2C336

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/theadvocate.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/ae/3ae7a0be-4703-11e7-9256-cb221447dacf/59319ae1db2bc.image.jpg

It seems like the accounting treatment must be radically different by the school. Or, we have a ton of fans sneaking into DNF and bringing their own food. Again, 2015-2016 numbers.

Link to article:

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_5edd22c0-465c-11e7-8b99-c709d5eb08c1.html