PDA

View Full Version : Plumlee it is vs. Vandy

UMCDawg16
06-17-2019, 11:56 AM
I like it. Gotta trust the Senior in this big spot.

MetEdDawg
06-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Good. Go with what got you here. Plumlee is a senior and has a rhythm going. Ginn has been off and on too much with the injury.

Right move by Lemonis and I think it gives us the best chance to win.

smootness
06-17-2019, 12:01 PM
I said either one was a good option, so this is totally fine. I'm very curious, if we win, to see if we go Ginn Friday or let Small pitch. If Ginn doesn't pitch until then, he's not coming back for the championship series either way, so I think I'd rather go Small Friday and then have Ginn available Saturday if needed (which allows Small to also pitch Game 3 of the CS) than have Ginn go Friday and then be faced with potentially having to use Small Saturday and having neither available for the CS.

Commercecomet24
06-17-2019, 12:06 PM
I think it's a good decision. JT been battling a couple arm issues and hopefully he'll be ready to go end of this week. Win tomorrow and then JT and whole staff win game 3 then we have small and Plumlee fresh for next week.

HoopsDawg
06-17-2019, 12:07 PM
I said either one was a good option, so this is totally fine. I'm very curious, if we win, to see if we go Ginn Friday or let Small pitch. If Ginn doesn't pitch until then, he's not coming back for the championship series either way, so I think I'd rather go Small Friday and then have Ginn available Saturday if needed (which allows Small to also pitch Game 3 of the CS) than have Ginn go Friday and then be faced with potentially having to use Small Saturday and having neither available for the CS.

One step at a time.

shoeless joe
06-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Good call...don’t overthink it now

smootness
06-17-2019, 12:12 PM
One step at a time.

For sure, just discussing.

HoopsDawg
06-17-2019, 12:14 PM
I think it's a good decision. JT been battling a couple arm issues and hopefully he'll be ready to go end of this week. Win tomorrow and then JT and whole staff win game 3 then we have small and Plumlee fresh for next week.

I hope JT can shut it down this summer and these arm issues don't continue to linger or turn into something worse. He's only thrown 80 innings this year. Only thrown over 90 pitches twice all year. I've seen 10 year olds who have thrown more in a travel ball season.

msstate7

Overthink all you want. We aren't making any decisions anyway haha

HoopsDawg

definitely Ginn, and whole staff.

smootness
06-17-2019, 12:25 PM
definitely Ginn, and whole staff.

So just for discussion purposes...what do you do if we win Tuesday, then throw Ginn Friday and lose?

smootness
06-17-2019, 12:26 PM
I hope JT can shut it down this summer and these arm issues don't continue to linger or turn into something worse. He's only thrown 80 innings this year. Only thrown over 90 pitches twice all year. I've seen 10 year olds who have thrown more in a travel ball season.

He was a 1st round pick and put a lot of trust in the State coaching staff by coming to school. I'm assuming these issues are more precaution than they are serious long-term concern. They're being careful with him precisely so that it doesn't linger or turn into something worse. 80 innings is not nothing. 10-year-olds aren't throwing 95, and they're also throwing way too much themselves.

MetEdDawg
06-17-2019, 01:06 PM
So just for discussion purposes...what do you do if we win Tuesday, then throw Ginn Friday and lose?

Throw Small as an opener and let him go 2-3 innings. Then from there you have to use Keegan and whatever is left in the bullpen and do a little praying.

deadheaddawg
06-17-2019, 01:25 PM
I like it. We are 2 wins from tying a program win total record. We had our 1st 6-0 post season start ever. These coaches know what they are doing.

4suredog
06-17-2019, 01:39 PM
My concern here is that by using Plumlee now instead of Ginn, we have basically taken Ginn out of any pitching next week in a championship situation. He has proven all season he needs a minimum of 6 days between starts..... So we would have only had Ginn for 1 start the entire tourney by going this route.... Not sure this is the best plan but I do think Plumlee is really pitching well right now and this win is huge!

smootness
06-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Throw Small as an opener and let him go 2-3 innings. Then from there you have to use Keegan and whatever is left in the bullpen and do a little praying.

I think this is why I'd rather go with Small on Friday. I'm assuming you're trying to allow Small to come back for the CS in some capacity by limiting him to 2-3 innings. Because by Saturday, he should be able to throw basically a normal start. But if you do that, he's probably gone for the CS.

I'm basically trying to maximize the number of innings our top pitchers can throw. Obviously if we lose tomorrow, all bets are off and it's a free-for-all. So this is only if we win Tuesday. If you throw Small 4-5 innings Friday, that leaves Ginn available to pitch a full start Saturday, and it also lets Small come back in Game 3 of the CS and throw 4-5 innings.

If you throw Ginn Friday, he's still out for the CS, and by throwing Small 2-3 innings Saturday you risk losing him for the CS. At most, you're still only going to get the 4-5 innings in Game 3.

So I'd rather go with Small on Friday, leave Ginn to either pitch Saturday or pitch Game 1 of the CS, and either go Ginn-Plumlee-Small in the CS or Plumlee-Wholestaff-Small. If you throw Ginn Friday and then use Small Saturday, you're potentially having to do Plumlee-Wholestaff-Wholestaff. The benefit of holding Small back is that you can go Small-Plumlee-Wholestaff in the CS, but you see what I'm saying now - that's basically no better overall than my plan of using Small on Friday except that in a best-case scenario, Small is fresher in the CS.

smootness
06-17-2019, 02:15 PM
My concern here is that by using Plumlee now instead of Ginn, we have basically taken Ginn out of any pitching next week in a championship situation. He has proven all season he needs a minimum of 6 days between starts..... So we would have only had Ginn for 1 start the entire tourney by going this route.... Not sure this is the best plan but I do think Plumlee is really pitching well right now and this win is huge!

That's why I was in favor of going Ginn tomorrow. I think Plumlee is capable of being available in some capacity in the CS even if he starts Thursday or Friday. Ginn will be done after his one start. But the staff may think Ginn only pitches once no matter what, and this way he can just let it all out in that one start. I'm good with the decision, it's definitely hugely important to win tomorrow.

WinningIsRelentless
06-17-2019, 02:36 PM
That's why I was in favor of going Ginn tomorrow. I think Plumlee is capable of being available in some capacity in the CS even if he starts Thursday or Friday. Ginn will be done after his one start. But the staff may think Ginn only pitches once no matter what, and this way he can just let it all out in that one start. I'm good with the decision, it's definitely hugely important to win tomorrow.

Don?t out think yourself. Its one game at a time and Plumlee has been the better pitcher over the past month.

Apoplectic
06-17-2019, 02:57 PM
ginn starts game 3 regardless- its not that hard - regular rotation except ginn on a very short leash

CadaverDawg
06-17-2019, 03:06 PM
I'm cool with Plumlee going. Just win, baby.

Curious....why announce it today? Why not let them prepare for both and then announce tomorrow afternoon? Is there some Rule about that? I've always wondered why you'd give your opponent extra time to prepare....just let them find out by looking at the lineup card before the game

RougeDawg
06-17-2019, 03:27 PM
If we start getting a few 2 out hits it will not matter who we put on the mound. The runs were there last night. We just did not make the 2 out hit until the 9th. If we have one or two 2 out hits early last night, we run away and hide. Here?s to hoping the 2 out hits keep rolling from the 9th.

smootness
06-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Don?t out think yourself. Its one game at a time and Plumlee has been the better pitcher over the past month.

I hear that, but you have to win at least 5 total games to win the title, and with pitching restrictions, you really do have to think this stuff through to some degree. If we win the first 3, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot what we do. But we want to set ourselves up to still be able to do well if we lose one.

CadaverDawg
06-17-2019, 03:47 PM
I hear that, but you have to win at least 5 total games to win the title, and with pitching restrictions, you really do have to think this stuff through to some degree. If we win the first 3, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot what we do. But we want to set ourselves up to still be able to do well if we lose one.

I agree. I'm totally in line with your thinking, and that's why I was hoping for Ginn tomorrow. But like you, I'm good with Plumlee...Lemonis and Foxhall have a plan in place, so I'm good with it

Todd4State
06-17-2019, 04:29 PM
I'm still haunted by Graveman not pitching in the CWS championship series. So- I go Plumlee and Ginn and then come back with Small in an elimination game.

WinningIsRelentless
06-17-2019, 04:44 PM

But if Ginn goes tomorrow and can only make it a few innings then your bullpen gets killed and you still have to win another 5 games to win it.

smootness
06-17-2019, 05:41 PM
But if Ginn goes tomorrow and can only make it a few innings then your bullpen gets killed and you still have to win another 5 games to win it.

Yeah, but that will be true no matter when he pitches. He is going to have to make a start, and in that start it's possible he doesn't go very long. No matter when that happens, we likely will lose and it will tax us and make things difficult.

I understand the argument that it's better if you lose Friday than tomorrow, so I hear you. That's a good point and something to consider. I still think I'd personally go with Ginn. But there's a reason I'm not the person in the position to make that call, and Lemonis has been phenomenal so far, so I trust they've thought it through.

MarketingBully
06-17-2019, 07:05 PM
You do realize this is about matchups don’t you? Vandy has 6 of 9 lefties and a sinker baller pitcher in the CWS gives you a great chance to win. Ginn is fine but Vandy isn’t a good matchup for him. My guess is we will see him in game 3. The key to tomorrow will be can Plumlee get through the first inning or so without any damage. Plumlee should do well in Omaha as long as he settles down quickly. Don’t need a sinker baller amped up. Once he gets comfortable out there he will be fine.

smootness
06-17-2019, 09:34 PM
You do realize phrasing a post this way makes you sound like a tool, don't you?

And what does the number of LH have to do with Plumlee vs. Ginn?

starkvegasdawg
06-17-2019, 11:35 PM
What about bringing Ginn out of the bull pen in some manner? If whoever starts can go 3-4 then you could bring him in to at least go another 4 or potentially the rest of the way.

Jarius
06-18-2019, 01:00 AM

With his injury situation Ginn may only be throwing once in the tournament no matter when you pitch him. If he throws once and can't go again, then you have completely screwed yourself because you will only be able to throw both him and Plumlee once for the tournament and will have neither for the finals (other than a brief relief appearance to get a few outs). That is basically forfeiting the championship series.

Dawg61
06-18-2019, 01:46 AM
Gordon is going to be the X factor for us. We get dominant Cole we might just win this whole thing. Stating the obvious here but that comeback win in the 9th basically quadrupled our chances of winning it all.

Cooterpoot
06-18-2019, 06:00 AM
This staff isn?t going to deviate from their normal routine. They?ve shown they don?t take many chances and prefer consistency. Plumlee will be great if he can survive the big game adrenaline early. Vandy didn?t kill it vs the Louisville sinker baller. One guy beat them.

msbulldog
06-18-2019, 06:05 AM
He was a 1st round pick and put a lot of trust in the State coaching staff by coming to school. I'm assuming these issues are more precaution than they are serious long-term concern. They're being careful with him precisely so that it doesn't linger or turn into something worse. 80 innings is not nothing. 10-year-olds aren't throwing 95, and they're also throwing way too much themselves.

Good points Smoot, totally agree. Rep given!

msbulldog
06-18-2019, 06:12 AM
If we start getting a few 2 out hits it will not matter who we put on the mound. The runs were there last night. We just did not make the 2 out hit until the 9th. If we have one or two 2 out hits early last night, we run away and hide. Here?s to hoping the 2 out hits keep rolling from the 9th.

Rouge buddy, we need those 0 out and 1 out hits too.

MarketingBully
06-18-2019, 06:26 AM
You do realize phrasing a post this way makes you sound like a tool, don't you?

And what does the number of LH have to do with Plumlee vs. Ginn?

Meaning no disrespect there. My point was that the decision to start Plumlee has more to do with the matchup then Ginn’s health. Ginn is fine. Ginn has had a lot of trouble with left handed hitters (think LSU) as he has had to rely on his changeup to get through them which is a pitch he still needs to work on. Plumlee being a sinker baller plays well in that stadium as Vandy will be pounding the balls into the ground for plays for our infielders.

Scared_Hitless
06-18-2019, 07:01 AM
Plumlee should play better in this park then his normal outing. Don't forget Plumlee is a sinker ball guy throwing low and pitching to contact, that is going to be a recipe for success if he stays down in the zone. Plus Ginn has struggled all season with Left Handed dominant lineups which Vandy has. Give me Plumlee tonight and Ginn to send us into the Ship tomorrow. Then lead off Game 1 with Small and we are in Business.

smootness
06-18-2019, 07:04 AM
Meaning no disrespect there. My point was that the decision to start Plumlee has more to do with the matchup then Ginn’s health. Ginn is fine. Ginn has had a lot of trouble with left handed hitters (think LSU) as he has had to rely on his changeup to get through them which is a pitch he still needs to work on. Plumlee being a sinker baller plays well in that stadium as Vandy will be pounding the balls into the ground for plays for our infielders.

Good post, thanks. All good points.

Cooterpoot
06-18-2019, 08:07 AM
Oh, and we can’t make errors. Ground balls don’t matter if they’re going between 3B legs.

ShotgunDawg
06-18-2019, 08:12 AM
You do realize this is about matchups don’t you? Vandy has 6 of 9 lefties and a sinker baller pitcher in the CWS gives you a great chance to win. Ginn is fine but Vandy isn’t a good matchup for him. My guess is we will see him in game 3. The key to tomorrow will be can Plumlee get through the first inning or so without any damage. Plumlee should do well in Omaha as long as he settles down quickly. Don’t need a sinker baller amped up. Once he gets comfortable out there he will be fine.

Why isn't Ginn a good matchup?

You do realize that Ginn has a far far better sinker than Plumlee right? Like, it actually sinks as much or more than any one in the country.

WinningIsRelentless
06-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Why isn't Ginn a good matchup?

You do realize that Ginn has a far far better sinker than Plumlee right? Like, it actually sinks as much or more than any one in the country.

You have to go with the person who has the hot/known arm as of late. and that?s Plumlee.

And let me go ahead and blow your mind even more, if we win tonight don?t be surprised at all the see Small get the call on Friday.

smootness
06-18-2019, 09:03 AM
if we win tonight don?t be surprised at all the see Small get the call on Friday.

This is what I want for sure. That way you save Ginn either for Saturday or to start the CS.

Going Small on Friday is the only way to have all 3 available in some capacity for the CS.