PDA

View Full Version : Football Sporting News Top 25

Goldendawg
06-15-2019, 05:47 PM
Sporting News post spring preseason top 25 picks state #15. Auburn #16, Texas A&M #11, Florida #8, Lsu #7, Georgia #3, and of course Alabama #1.

gravedigger
06-15-2019, 05:54 PM
Sporting News post spring preseason top 25 picks state #15. Auburn #16, Texas A&M #11, Florida #8, Lsu #7, Georgia #3, and of course Alabama #1.

Apparently people do not understand just how much of a burden our head coach is.

Goldendawg
06-15-2019, 06:01 PM
Apparently people do not understand just how much of a burden our head coach is.

JoMo picked 9th best sec coach ahead of Barry Odom, Derrick Mason, Jeremy Pruitt, Matt Luke, and Chad Morris in that order.

MaroonFlounder
06-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Everyone I talk to regarding MSU football this fall say that even with the addition of Stevens and Zuber, this team only increased their win projection to 8 wins (from 7).

I say if Kylin Hill doesn't become a huge part of the offense, it's closer to 7 than 8. Our leg up against Aub and A&M will swing back in their favor with them having home field. And Bama/LSU will come to DWS as big favorites.

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Here come all the people who say we will suck but last year at this time wouldve been outraged when we werent ranked

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Over a preseason poll on june 15

msstate7
06-15-2019, 06:48 PM
Here come all the people who say we will suck but last year at this time wouldve been outraged when we werent ranked

Saying we won't win 8 isn't saying we will suck. The sec west is brutal.

Quaoarsking
06-15-2019, 06:53 PM
I love how we're finally getting some respect as a program after all these years.

Commercecomet24
06-15-2019, 06:54 PM
I love how we're finally getting some respect as a program after all these years.

This! It's taken awhile but it's finally happening. I'm enjoying it.

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2019, 07:11 PM
Saying we won't win 8 isn't saying we will suck. The sec west is brutal.

There is many a poster on here that has already dug Moorheads grave and marked us down for 5-7

msstate7
06-15-2019, 07:13 PM
There is many a poster on here that has already dug Moorheads grave and marked us down for 5-7

Interesting... find one and show me. I've seen almost exclusively 6-8 with a few 9 and coach007's 11-1 or whatever

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2019, 07:16 PM
Interesting... find one and show me. I've seen almost exclusively 6-8 with a few 9 and coach007's 11-1 or whatever

I dont have the time for that. Dont play this game, you know well as I do there is many on here that hate Moorhead and have been nothing but negative since UK

Coach34
06-15-2019, 07:32 PM

Exactly- he was going straight straw man. Corky could win 7-8 with this team. Anything less and JoVester is just playing out the string to be fired in a couple of years. He wont ever have the talent again that he coached in 2018 and this season in 2019. It's as good as it gets for JoVester

Goldendawg
06-15-2019, 07:43 PM
I've said it before, but 6-6 any year now is an absolute failure for us no matter who the coach is. That's 4-0 OOC ( 3 don't have a pulse and the 4th is on life support), and 2-6 in the SEC. Anyone who would accept this as a successful season, I just don't understand. I'm looking for a floor of 8 wins in the regular season. Hail State!

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2019, 07:45 PM
Exactly- he was going straight straw man. Corky could win 7-8 with this team. Anything less and JoVester is just playing out the string to be fired in a couple of years. He wont ever have the talent again that he coached in 2018 and this season in 2019. It's as good as it gets for JoVester

So when we win 8 everyone will bitch and say how bad we underachieved in January. I guess I am a lunatic and was just imagining a ton of people on here saying Farr Moorhead he talks in 3s and is boring his offense wont work in the SEC, cant recruit blah blah horseshit

bulldawg28
06-15-2019, 07:54 PM
I've said it before, but 6-6 any year now is an absolute failure for us no matter who the coach is. That's 4-0 OOC ( 3 don't have a pulse and the 4th is on life support), and 2-6 in the SEC. Anyone who would accept this as a successful season, I just don't understand. I'm looking for a floor of 8 wins in the regular season. Hail State!

This all day. Step up the tenacity around the program and the team should actually win 9 games off pure talent and adequate coaching. 6 wins should not be accepted. If Moorehead pulls a stupid move by running Thompson off next year and starting a redshirt Freshman QB next year year I could see 6 wins. Even then it shouldn't be accepted.

Goldendawg
06-15-2019, 07:55 PM
So when we win 8 everyone will bitch and say how bad we underachieved in January. I guess I am a lunatic and was just imagining a ton of people on here saying Farr Moorhead he talks in 3s and is boring his offense wont work in the SEC, cant recruit blah blah horseshit

I still say 8-5 was underachieving last year, but 8-4 regular season with a bowl win will show growth in 2019. As for recruiting, time will tell but unless some of commits get ranked higher before early signing day and we close strong, this will be a 25 to 30 ranked class and bottom level of SEC West. Hope it doesn't happen but look at all the name programs currently behind us with higher ranked prospects and a lot of commits to go. I, for what it's worth, was one that thought Jo and company could out recruit Dan and the CC at MSU. We have one 4* to date. JMO. Hail State!

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2019, 08:00 PM
This all day. Step up the tenacity around the program and the team should actually win 9 games off pure talent and adequate coaching. 6 wins should not be accepted. If Moorehead pulls a stupid move by running Thompson off next year and starting a redshirt Freshman QB next year year I could see 6 wins. Even then it shouldn't be accepted.

Thompson leaving has nothing to do with Moorhead. Wonder how many Clemson fans are blaming Dabo for ''running off'' Bryant. Or bama fans mad at Saban for ''running off'' Hurts or any of the other 10 QBs that have transferred out of there. In today's society and environment the kids have more power than ever

msstate7
06-15-2019, 08:03 PM
Thompson leaving has nothing to do with Moorhead. Wonder how many Clemson fans are blaming Dabo for ''running off'' Bryant. Or bama fans mad at Saban for ''running off'' Hurts or any of the other 10 QBs that have transferred out of there. In today's society and environment the kids have more power than ever

So we bout to have a tua or Lawrence? Hell yeah

ETA... I have no problem with getting Stevens. I like it in fact, but don't compare it to Clemson and bama's situations

BuckyIsAB****
06-15-2019, 08:05 PM
So we bout to have a tua or Lawrence? Hell yeah

ETA... I have no problem with getting Stevens. I like it in fact, but don't compare it to Clemson and bama's situations

That wasnt the point. The point was, kids are going to leave and it shouldnt be the coaches fault for that. His job is to win not to make everyone happy

msstate7
06-15-2019, 08:06 PM
That wasnt the point. The point was, kids are going to leave and it shouldnt be the coaches fault for that. His job is to win not to make everyone happy

I agree with that

Jack Lambert
06-15-2019, 08:20 PM
Auburn being 16 is just silly.

Dawgology
06-15-2019, 08:39 PM
Looking at this just makes we realize that the SEC West is probably the strongest and toughest division in all of college athletics.

R2Dawg
06-15-2019, 08:50 PM

Yep as far as respect, we have arrived. It took 10 years of winning while OleMiss, Ark, floundered and Aub and TAMU and even LSU to a degree slipped. The media will not admit that but that is what has happened.

TALL DAWG
06-15-2019, 09:04 PM
I still say 8-5 was underachieving last year, but 8-4 regular season with a bowl win will show growth in 2019. As for recruiting, time will tell but unless some of commits get ranked higher before early signing day and we close strong, this will be a 25 to 30 ranked class and bottom level of SEC West. Hope it doesn't happen but look at all the name programs currently behind us with higher ranked prospects and a lot of commits to go. I, for what it's worth, was one that thought Jo and company could out recruit Dan and the CC at MSU. We have one 4* to date. JMO. Hail State!

Not this ?star? and ?class ranking? crap comment yet AGAIN on recruiting?!?
Coach Mo and his staff have been killing it lately. And, we FINALLY are getting what appears to be some quality transfers.
Good grief, give it a rest.

Goldendawg
06-15-2019, 09:55 PM
Not this ?star? and ?class ranking? crap comment yet AGAIN on recruiting?!?
Coach Mo and his staff have been killing it lately. And, we FINALLY are getting what appears to be some quality transfers.
Good grief, give it a rest.

We must finish strong. Top 22 or so in the nation will still be 5 to 7 in the sec west. We must have better recruiting against the west to keep moving up. Otherwise, we will be stuck at 4-4 in conference play.

bulldawg28
06-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Not even a similar comparison with programs or players. Clemson is a national power with extreme talent in every position.

Todd4State
06-15-2019, 10:08 PM
If that poll is correct and we finish 9-3 I'm all for that.

Coach34
06-16-2019, 09:01 AM

He underachieved in 2018- that cant be denied. 8 wins in 2019 will be a good season. We have a good team in 2019 but it's not as good as what we had in 2018- but the transfers have certainly helped close that gap some. 2019 just doesnt have the depth on D 2018 had. Less than 7 in 2019 would be very disappointing. 2020 and beyond will be judge and jury

timotheus
06-16-2019, 09:24 AM
I can agree with that. we wait and see

MedDawg
06-16-2019, 09:29 AM
Some of y'all are full of it. Before Mullen left, it was nearly a consensus on the State boards that 2019 was going to be a down year and many were projecting only 6 or 7 wins. Now those who don't like Moorhead are saying we will 'only' win 7 or 8 because Moorhead can't coach. The expectations are better than they were with Mullen but they're moving the goal line to help their point.

msstate7
06-16-2019, 09:36 AM
Some of y'all are full of it. Before Mullen left, it was nearly a consensus on the State boards that 2019 was going to be a down year and many were projecting only 6 or 7 wins. Now those who don't like Moorhead are saying we will 'only' win 7 or 8 because Moorhead can't coach. The expectations are better than they were with Mullen but they're moving the goal line to help their point.

I haven't heard anyone say 8 would be disappointing. I'd feel a million times better if we win 8 this year. Some of you are just making crap up... prove me wrong, bump ANYONE saying 8 wins will be disappointing for 2019. I know this won't happen though bc you made it up.

1bigdawg
06-16-2019, 10:16 AM
6 wins should be considered a bad, not disastrous season in any year. Similarly, winning 8 should be a standard expectation, not outstanding. That is generally achieved by winning the 4 non-conference games and breaking even in the SEC. Breaking even in the conference may be great by historical standards for MSU, but it is still just breaking even. Success begins with 9 regular season wins. I believe we get there this year with the 4 non conference wins, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Arkansas, and 2 wins from A&M, Auburn, Tennessee or LSU.

BuckyIsAB****
06-16-2019, 01:11 PM
He underachieved in 2018- that cant be denied. 8 wins in 2019 will be a good season. We have a good team in 2019 but it's not as good as what we had in 2018- but the transfers have certainly helped close that gap some. 2019 just doesnt have the depth on D 2018 had. Less than 7 in 2019 would be very disappointing. 2020 and beyond will be judge and jury

A month or so ago this board was slam full of people, including you that were saying get ready for 7-5 best case, 5-7 and a new coach is entirely possible. Now we have a good team and 9-3 is possible, 7-5 is worst case

Goldendawg
06-16-2019, 01:16 PM
6 wins should be considered a bad, not disastrous season in any year. Similarly, winning 8 should be a standard expectation, not outstanding. That is generally achieved by winning the 4 non-conference games and breaking even in the SEC. Breaking even in the conference may be great by historical standards for MSU, but it is still just breaking even. Success begins with 9 regular season wins. I believe we get there this year with the 4 non conference wins, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Arkansas, and 2 wins from A&M, Auburn, Tennessee or LSU.

Disagree 100%. Bad in the past, but a disaster now. OOC games are reaching an embarrassing level of non-competition and some not even worth the co$t of the season tickets and the trip to State. 2-6 will always be a bottom feeder and a failure in the SEC. We are much better than that now. Hail State!

Coach34
06-16-2019, 02:48 PM
A month or so ago this board was slam full of people, including you that were saying get ready for 7-5 best case, 5-7 and a new coach is entirely possible. Now we have a good team and 9-3 is possible, 7-5 is worst case

That was before JoVester got "his QB" that can throw so much better than Fitz and an elite WR transfer that caught 50-something balls last year. Thats all JoVester needed to get his offense going. His QB and a bigtime WR. Plus- all our guys know his system now right? We gonna rock and roll. No doubt 8 win team now.

maroonmania
06-16-2019, 03:00 PM

No duh. MSU has never had a defense with the overall talent and depth we had in 2018. Likely we will never see a defense that talented at MSU again. But in today's game you have to have a lot more than just a good defense because the rules are geared to helping offenses score. If our offense is significantly better than last year (jury certainly out on that one) with perhaps a QB that make a read other than just keeping the ball, we might still have as good or better record as last year even with a worse defense.

deadheaddawg
06-16-2019, 03:14 PM
I love watching people who are not very good at their profession just ooze jealousy on social media.

Cooterpoot
06-16-2019, 03:29 PM
I still don’t see 9 wins. Lots of question marks. 7-8 is possible but I’m not on the 9 win wagon.

Dawgology
06-16-2019, 03:36 PM

I’ve been saying 7-5 and still am. 8 would be astounding but I could see us falling to 6 this year if the wheels come off. I don’t think 9 will happen.

RougeDawg
06-16-2019, 04:33 PM
We should win 8 this season. 9 or 10 is possible if we can find a pulse on offense. Any offensive pulse last season and we probably win 11 including bowl game.

Bothrops
06-16-2019, 07:26 PM
You guys are underestimating how tough big road games are for us. We could easily go 1-3 on the road in the SEC, and have a pretty good team.

justwin
06-17-2019, 07:20 AM

you cant say that our 2018 team had so much talent when our QB was awful. The QB is the most important player and he maybe got 40%, at best, of the production that the O allowed for him in 2019. In Fitz' defense, the OM illegal leg break changed him forever....same name & number on that jersey, but no where near the same player. Go watch the LSU game and see elementary plays he just couldn't make.

MSU is always going to have talent everywhere on the field and along the LOS, it's when the QB is a net negative is our historical problem. but that's what you get when you have a running QB, 8 wins max.

This is not a bash Fitz response, but more of a bash "the most talent" we've ever had response. We recruit fine despite some arbitrary ranking that people put too much emphasis on.

BuckyIsAB****
06-17-2019, 09:52 AM
Beat OM and win 9 including a bowl and everyone should be able to sleep well at night. Biggest non egg bowl game of the year is LSU at home. Lose that one and it becomes @ UT. I think we can win both