PDA

View Full Version : Renfroe

stalkingpoon
06-15-2019, 08:32 AM
4th in MLB in HRs in several less bats than those ahead of him. If padres played him everyday no telling what his stats would be.

KB21
06-15-2019, 08:54 AM
4th in MLB in HRs in several less bats than those ahead of him. If padres played him everyday no telling what his stats would be.

He's a big reason why I'm in first place in my fantasy league.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-15-2019, 08:56 AM
6th in NL in slugging. Leads Padres in HR and slugging. Second on team in doubles and OPS. Leads team in WAR by a large margin.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-15-2019, 08:59 AM
And only 3 players in the Padres lineup last night have a higher batting average than Hunter.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Renfroe could be on the All-Star team. Would have to be Renfroe or Kirby Yates (pitcher).

KB21
06-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Renfroe could be on the All-Star team. Would have to be Renfroe or Kirby Yates (pitcher).

IMO, that Padres team would be a lot better if they had a good manager. I'm not an Andy Green fan. I feel like he manages too much from a spreadsheet and not enough by feel. The analytics tells him to give Renfroe days off when he should be the main cog in their line up.

msstate7
06-15-2019, 09:20 AM
Padres apparently open to trading everyone but Hosmer, Machado, and Tatis. Could renfroe be on the move?

dawgs
06-15-2019, 09:43 AM
IMO, that Padres team would be a lot better if they had a good manager. I'm not an Andy Green fan. I feel like he manages too much from a spreadsheet and not enough by feel. The analytics tells him to give Renfroe days off when he should be the main cog in their line up.

He's played in 63 of 70 games. Also, perhaps managing "too much from a spreadsheet" has allowed Renfroe to maximize his effectiveness by putting him in positions to succeed? Anyone who gripes about analytics should sit down and read about how data is used to maximize players' production and minimize placing them in situations where they are not the best option to succeed.

dawgs
06-15-2019, 09:46 AM
Padres apparently open to trading everyone but Hosmer, Machado, and Tatis. Could renfroe be on the move?

If someone would kick them some highly rated prospects for Renfroe, probably wouldn't be the worst deal for them tbh.

Also, betting guys like paddock and strahm are untouchable too. Teams don't trade young, talented pitching with years of team control ahead of them. Luis urias is also untouchable unless the pads get hot and think they can use him to grab a game changer for the playoffs.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-15-2019, 09:56 AM
He's played in 63 of 70 games. Also, perhaps managing "too much from a spreadsheet" has allowed Renfroe to maximize his effectiveness by putting him in positions to succeed? Anyone who gripes about analytics should sit down and read about how data is used to maximize players' production and minimize placing them in situations where they are not the best option to succeed.

Agreed he has played in 63 games. But some of them were one at bat as a pinch hitter. I think KB21 means he should be starting more. Then he could get 4 at bats in a game, not just 1.

Todd4State
06-15-2019, 12:23 PM

If I'm the Cardinals I'm interested. We need a bump offensively and defensively in the outfield.

But our GM sucks and thinks he's smarter than everyone else.

msstate7
06-15-2019, 12:29 PM
If someone would kick them some highly rated prospects for Renfroe, probably wouldn't be the worst deal for them tbh.

Also, betting guys like paddock and strahm are untouchable too. Teams don't trade young, talented pitching with years of team control ahead of them. Luis urias is also untouchable unless the pads get hot and think they can use him to grab a game changer for the playoffs.

If paddock is available, it would be an insane price tag

RougeDawg
06-15-2019, 04:39 PM
Him struggling and getting sent down was the best thing for him. Pitchers had figured him out. He went down and worked. Now he is much better.

MaroonFlounder
06-15-2019, 04:44 PM

The problem with that is that baseball is often about "gut feeling" that, in many cases, is very successful. It's one of the things we used to bitch about regarding Cohen...the fact that he seemed to "over think" some things. I know it's MLB vs college, but you can't always analyze your way to success. (The moneyball guys can see yourselves out now)

maroonmania
06-16-2019, 02:47 PM
Apparently Renfroe just homered again in Colorado if the video they just showed was from today's game.

Lord McBuckethead
06-16-2019, 02:59 PM
Yep. Think so. I do wish the cards would pick him up.

dawgs
06-16-2019, 04:06 PM
The problem with that is that baseball is often about "gut feeling" that, in many cases, is very successful. It's one of the things we used to bitch about regarding Cohen...the fact that he seemed to "over think" some things. I know it's MLB vs college, but you can't always analyze your way to success. (The moneyball guys can see yourselves out now)

Just because the "gut feeling" works doesn't mean following the data wouldn't have worked. Shit, there's plenty of times the gut feeling would work and following data doesn't, but the point is that going with your gut over the data decreases the odds of success over the long term and it's impossible to pick the times you should follow your gut and not the data. Also, plenty of times following the gut and following the data end with the same move. Tbh much of the "gut" decisions made in previous generations were data based, just not presented in an easily consumable number for the public to understand, so when a move was made that didn't make sense looking at old metrics like era, it was called a "gut decision".

somebodyshotmypaw
06-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Apparently Renfroe just homered again in Colorado if the video they just showed was from today's game.

So far today Renfroe is 2 for 3. Two run homer, single, and fly out.

Todd4State
06-16-2019, 04:20 PM
If paddock is available, it would be an insane price tag

Paddock is not available. No one makes aces available unless it's a salary dump and rebuild situation.

BrunswickDawg
06-16-2019, 06:01 PM
So far today Renfroe is 2 for 3. Two run homer, single, and fly out.

He just hit #2 on the day. Dude is unreal right now.