PDA

View Full Version : Jarrod Johnson ....

Liverpooldawg
06-13-2019, 07:37 PM
signed with the Braves today.

timotheus
06-13-2019, 07:57 PM
What was the signing bonus? Will he be on the $1000 a month plan and hope to improve and move up as much as can be expected?

Liverpooldawg
06-13-2019, 07:58 PM
What was the signing bonus? Will he be on the $1000 a month plan and hope to improve and move up as much as can be expected?

I'm hearing $265k. That's from a very good source.

MetEdDawg
06-13-2019, 08:15 PM
I'm hearing $265k. That's from a very good source.

Getting 265K in that slot is hard to compete with. Below 200K I think we get him.

I'm sure folks will say well after taxes blah blah but if you think about it after taxes that's around 220K. He can bank 75-100K and use whatever else he needs for spending money and expenditures over the next 4 years. If it doesn't pan out, he goes home, lives with him parents mostly expense free, works or goes to school (potentially on the Braves dime), and still have more in the bank than most of us.

I get it and it's hard to compete with that in rural Mississippi.

Cooterpoot
06-13-2019, 08:34 PM
I think he made a mistake, but that’s hard to say when it’s his dream

Todd4State
06-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Getting 265K in that slot is hard to compete with. Below 200K I think we get him.

I'm sure folks will say well after taxes blah blah but if you think about it after taxes that's around 220K. He can bank 75-100K and use whatever else he needs for spending money and expenditures over the next 4 years. If it doesn't pan out, he goes home, lives with him parents mostly expense free, works or goes to school (potentially on the Braves dime), and still have more in the bank than most of us.

The problem is it's probably going to take him longer than four years to get to MLB IF he makes it. His best career move would have been to come to MSU develop and get in the top five rounds. Unless he has a poor family or something like that.

Commercecomet24
06-13-2019, 08:35 PM

He's getting the bonus and will get school paid for if he chooses to go back to school.

msstate7
06-13-2019, 08:47 PM
Kid probably sees Austin Riley and thinks he'll do the same thing... hell, the braves are probably telling him he can be the next Riley. If the braves would've drafted me out of HS and offered a couple hundred thousand, I'd have rolled out too.

Todd4State
06-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Kid probably sees Austin Riley and thinks he'll do the same thing... hell, the braves are probably telling him he can be the next Riley. If the braves would've drafted me out of HS and offered a couple hundred thousand, I'd have rolled out too.

Well, he's not Austin Riley.

Lord McBuckethead
06-13-2019, 09:04 PM
I am sure his package includes more than 1k per month.

MetEdDawg
06-13-2019, 09:11 PM
The problem is it's probably going to take him longer than four years to get to MLB IF he makes it. His best career move would have been to come to MSU develop and get in the top five rounds. Unless he has a poor family or something like that.

Getting into the top 5 rounds is not that easy. That's never a guarantee. It's definitely not the norm even at a school like ours. This team going to Omaha has 2 players on it right now going Top 5 rounds. Now obviously it will have more than that over the next couple of years, but it's never a guarantee.

And if he's getting a monthly stipend and the Braves pay for his college if he doesn't pan out, it's even more of a no brainer

Homedawg
06-13-2019, 09:18 PM
He's getting the bonus and will get school paid for if he chooses to go back to school.

Which he has to come back to school within a year of quitting. Most don't.

Homedawg
06-13-2019, 09:20 PM
I am sure his package includes more than 1k per month.

No. He'll make minor league pay just like the rest of em. And you just get paid for the months you play. It's brutal. 1150 a month for him for a couple of years.

ZedFedder
06-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Smithville is a really small town. Thats a lot of money for someone from there more than likely.

robert
06-13-2019, 09:45 PM
Years ago I watched the Jackson Mets play an extra inning game at Smith Wills that lasted until about 11:00pm. The team showered then boarded an old bus headed for Tulsa, Ok to play a game Monday evening.

These minor leagurers are young, tough and have the big leauge dream, but a few seasons of living this life, must dampen their youthful enthusiasm a bit.

HoopsDawg
06-13-2019, 09:53 PM
No. He'll make minor league pay just like the rest of em. And you just get paid for the months you play. It's brutal. 1150 a month for him for a couple of years.

Really? I know a guy that got paid 25k per year.

mparkerfd20
06-13-2019, 09:57 PM
Stupid

Homedawg
06-13-2019, 10:04 PM
Really? I know a guy that got paid 25k per year.

Guys that start out almost never and when I say never, I mean less than 1% get more than the going rate. And when you get tontriple a or get on the 40 man you can. But that's about it.

Commercecomet24
06-13-2019, 10:11 PM

Yep.

Commercecomet24
06-13-2019, 10:15 PM

This is correct. It can be a rough existence for a few years.

starkvegasdawg
06-13-2019, 10:17 PM
I think he made a mistake, but that’s hard to say when it’s his dream

Can't blame him. Think back to when you were 18 and you had two choices. Go to school on a pitiful excuse for a scholarship and have to go to classes and take tests or get a quarter mil signing bonus, no classes, and get to do nothing but play baseball and bang ball groupies all while saying you play baseball in the Brave's organization. I'm betting 99.999% of us make the same choice.

Liverpooldawg
06-13-2019, 10:30 PM
I think he made a mistake, but that?s hard to say when it?s his dream

I don't know him or his family. If you don't, I don't see how you can make a call on whether it's a mistake or not. I just have good sources on what is happening.

Liverpooldawg
06-13-2019, 10:35 PM
Smithville is a really small town. Thats a lot of money for someone from there more than likely.

Don't sell Smithville short. There is a MSU grad from there headed to grad school at the University of Cambridge in England next year.

Homedawg
06-13-2019, 10:59 PM
I don't know him or his family. If you don't, I don't see how you can make a call on whether it's a mistake or not. I just have good sources on what is happening.

Agree. And college isn't for some people. And I have no idea on this situation or not.

ShotgunDawg
06-13-2019, 11:01 PM
I think he made a mistake, but that?s hard to say when it?s his dream

265 was probably much better than he'd ever get again. Kid wasn't very good. He made the correct decision.

RougeDawg
06-13-2019, 11:02 PM

This. The trend over the last decade clearly proves that the quickest way to the show is signing with a college and developing there. Makes one wonder who is in the ear of some of these guys. The stats dont lie.

ShotgunDawg
06-13-2019, 11:03 PM

Not when you come from a family that doesn't have much. Stop being biased and see reality. Many of you guys make a mistake in listening to Kendall Rogers.

While Kendall is fine, Kendall's job is to sell college baseball, so that's the only perspective you get.

ShotgunDawg
06-13-2019, 11:05 PM

2 years and it's their choice if they don't. Those are usually the type that wouldn't make it in college anyway.

ShotgunDawg
06-13-2019, 11:06 PM

+250K for signing. Don't leave out that part

RougeDawg
06-13-2019, 11:06 PM
Not when you come from a family that doesn't have much. Stop being biased and see reality. Many of you guys make a mistake in listening to Kendall Rogers.

While Kendall is fine, Kendall's job is to sell college baseball, so that's the only perspective you get.

Todd is not being biased. The big league teams have even stated that the quickest way to smthe show is playing in a 4 year college. It used to be different but the development at the college level is currently better than lower minor leagues. Plus you are guaranteed a spot. Every minor league year the teams are signing guys that can take your spot.

ShotgunDawg
06-13-2019, 11:10 PM
This. The trend over the last decade clearly proves that the quickest way to the show is signing with a college and developing there. Makes one wonder who is in the ear of some of these guys. The stats dont lie.

This isn't true. The data is heavily skewed towards college guys because it's about 4-1 college guys drafted over high school guys simply because the high school guys ask for too much money and college guys get what they get.

People that try to make overarching statements about this miss the point. There is not college vs high school debate. It doesn't exist. The only question is what's right for the individual kid. Every kid and family are different and what's best for Jake Mangum may not be what's best for someone else. Every situation is different.

ShotgunDawg
06-13-2019, 11:11 PM
Todd is not being biased. The big league teams have even stated that the quickest way to smthe show is playing in a 4 year college. It used to be different but the development at the college level is currently better than lower minor leagues. Plus you are guaranteed a spot. Every minor league year the teams are signing guys that can take your spot.

This is ridiculous. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. And yes, I really like Todd, but he's biased on this subject.

There's a whole other side to this that no one talks about. Should Kale Breaux have signed out of high school? How about Graham Ashcraft? Could've had 700K. Etc... I could keep going

Everyone only looks at the successful guy but fail to realize that there are far more that turned down good money out of high school only to never be offered it again.

College is a massive risk. It's a filter and funnel that YES benefits many but destroys many others who need to play but lack the current skill level and consistency to get in the lineup for coaches that have to win now.

Homedawg
06-13-2019, 11:44 PM
2 years and it's their choice if they don't. Those are usually the type that wouldn't make it in college anyway.

Maybe with some organizations. But not all. And yes I get the part it's their choice. But people get caught up that they get college paid for. And some don't. Because they never wanted it anyway.

Liverpooldawg
06-14-2019, 12:34 AM

YEP, again I don't know the kid or his family, I just have good sources on what is happening. I won't judge AT ALL. For some this would be a big mistake, for others it would be the absolute right choice. I just hope the guy is pitching like a stud at Suntrust in a few years!

Liverpooldawg
06-14-2019, 12:42 AM

How do you know? Seen him pitch? Major league scout are you?

timotheus
06-14-2019, 06:25 AM
I saw him this year along with many, many scouts etc and it is amazing the velo he threw with this season. He hit 95-96 constantly with a 89-90 mph slider. The previous year he was throwing 88 or so. The interesting part in this deal is the fact that he didn't play last summer and simply lifted and did drills with his brother. The scouts I spoke to say that he has the stuff and it is simply a case of a player who may well improve enough each year for a time and really be a star.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2019, 07:57 AM

Because that’s my opinion. I’ve seen him throw. He’s got a long way to go. He’s basically a big kid that throws in the 90s right now. I think he quadruples his money in 2-3 years in college. But you obviously missed the second half of my original post. Everyone knew he was signing no matter what.

smootness
06-14-2019, 08:33 AM

Sounds like he made the right decision to get the money while he can then.

I don't understand why we bash kids who do this.

ShotgunDawg
06-14-2019, 08:41 AM
Because that’s my opinion. I’ve seen him throw. He’s got a long way to go. He’s basically a big kid that throws in the 90s right now. I think he quadruples his money in 2-3 years in college. But you obviously missed the second half of my original post. Everyone knew he was signing no matter what.

Or he may not pitch much at MSU.

How many innings did Cerantola throw this year?

Point is, what raw pitchers pitch for us? In the Minor Leagues they get innings and development

smootness
06-14-2019, 09:26 AM

Point is, what raw pitchers pitch for us? In the Minor Leagues they get innings and development

This is something that's often overlooked in the debate. Kids that need more development may actually be the ones who are better served going pro. Look at Joey Swinarski, who redshirted and then had 7 AB the following year. He may have been better served to play in rookie ball to get consistent ABs.

Even Renfroe, who is someone we point to as one of the major successes of coming to school, barely played as a freshman and needed some summer ABs to really start to progress.

Homedawg
06-14-2019, 09:32 AM

This is the point everyone misses. Lots of guys that are top 250 hs players or higher have tools but are raw. We don't have the luxury to watch them develop while hitting 200 or worse. I think Ole Miss will run into this w Ealy, especially since he won't be getting reps in the fall.

msstate7
06-14-2019, 09:47 AM

Dang, strong

ShotgunDawg
06-14-2019, 09:59 AM
This is something that's often overlooked in the debate. Kids that need more development may actually be the ones who are better served going pro. Look at Joey Swinarski, who redshirted and then had 7 AB the following year. He may have been better served to play in rookie ball to get consistent ABs.

Even Renfroe, who is someone we point to as one of the major successes of coming to school, barely played as a freshman and needed some summer ABs to really start to progress.

This point is only overlooked by those who only choose to see it from the college perspective but the point is exactly what?s at the heart of this debate and why all individuals are different and need different paths.

Commercecomet24
06-14-2019, 10:46 AM
This is the point everyone misses. Lots of guys that are top 250 hs players or higher have tools but are raw. We don't have the luxury to watch them develop while hitting 200 or worse. I think Ole Miss will run into this w Ealy, especially since he won't be getting reps in the fall.

Exactly. Kids that are raw have a much better chance to develop in pro ball due to the amount of instruction and work they get, whereas college coaches don't have the luxury of waiting for a kid to develop.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2019, 12:25 PM

Then he?ll burn through that $265k real quick. Small was raw. What?s he pulling down now? Our current pen is thin and filled with guys leaving this year. I?d say he?d have a great chance to throw midweek and/or relief. $265K isn?t shit. Anyone with a good job can pull that down pretty quickly.
And I?m not criticizing the kid. It?s his dream. Just my opinion he could be in a greater position in a couple years. Minor league life ain?t what some of you think either.

msstate7
06-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Then he?ll burn through that $265k real quick. Small was raw. What?s he pulling down now? Our current pen is thin and filled with guys leaving this year. I?d say he?d have a great chance to throw midweek and/or relief. $265K isn?t shit. Anyone with a good job can pull that down pretty quickly.
And I?m not criticizing the kid. It?s his dream. Just my opinion he could be in a greater position in a couple years. Minor league life ain?t what some of you think either.

Did you have $265,000 (less taxes) at 18? I didn't. He'll have no student loan debt and a college education paid for if he takes advantage of it. What exactly is the down side to him?

ETA... I read the criticism as he didn't do what I wanted him to do, so it's a mistake. Why isn't this kid thinking of me while making this decision?!!!!

BB30
06-14-2019, 12:48 PM

He could be in a better position but you don't know that. Getting the extra 30-40+ innings that he will get in Rookie ball could spring board him and you could see him in AA ball in 2-3 years.

I haven't seen him pitch but if his raw stuff is that good and all he needs is some polishing then pro ball now could be a good ticket for him.

The bottom line is nobody on this board has any clue what was or is best for the kid. Just sour grapes that he decided to sign. Its funny, I didn't see many negative comments about the kid a few weeks ago when he signed, all everyone was talking about was his upside. Now its "oh hes not very good". Well if he's not very good then why are yall worried about the fact that he decided to sign with the braves?

A lot gets made out about how bad the minor league life is but it really isn't that bad. Your getting to do something that you love every day as a profession. Yea, $1100.00/month sucks(Ive done it) but I was getting to do something I had a real passion for every single day(thats worth a lot). Not just everyone gets paid to do something they enjoy. Yes, it's still a grind but that grind is a whole lot more enjoyable than most people that go to their 8-5 everyday.

StarkVegasSteve
06-14-2019, 12:51 PM
I think the kid made the right decision. And even if he didn't, I just hope it was his decision and he weighed the pros and cons. I know if someone offered me 265K at 18 yrs old to chase something that had been my lifelong dream to do, I'd have been on the first bus to Lake Elsinore, CA or Ft Wayne, IN or wherever the hell they told me to go. We won't know for 2 or 3 years whether his decision was correct or not. For every Austin Riley or Billy Hamilton there's a Cord Sandburg.

Todd4State
06-14-2019, 01:05 PM
I think the kid made the right decision. And even if he didn't, I just hope it was his decision and he weighed the pros and cons. I know if someone offered me 265K at 18 yrs old to chase something that had been my lifelong dream to do, I'd have been on the first bus to Lake Elsinore, CA or Ft Wayne, IN or wherever the hell they told me to go. We won't know for 2 or 3 years whether his decision was correct or not. For every Austin Riley or Billy Hamilton there's a Cord Sandburg.

More like for every Billy Hamilton there are nine Cord Sandberg's. Statistically speaking.

msstate7
06-14-2019, 01:06 PM
More like for every Billy Hamilton there are nine Cord Sandberg's. Statistically speaking.

And for every hunter renfroe there are a ton of state players that never sniff mlb. It's hard to make the show no matter the path you take trying

Todd4State
06-14-2019, 01:08 PM
How do you know? Seen him pitch? Major league scout are you?

Yes I have seen him pitch. One was drafted in the first round. The other the 12th. They don't play the same position. It's apples and oranges.

Todd4State
06-14-2019, 01:09 PM
And for every hunter renfroe there are a ton of state players that never sniff mlb. It's hard to make the show no matter the path you take trying

There is risk with any choice. That's why it's typically prudent to take the one that gives you the best chance of success long term. For most that is college and the statistics prove that.

We actually have a pretty good track record with producing MLB players in our program too- relatively speaking. With several more well on their way.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2019, 01:18 PM
Did you have $265,000 (less taxes) at 18? I didn't. He'll have no student loan debt and a college education paid for if he takes advantage of it. What exactly is the down side to him?

ETA... I read the criticism as he didn't do what I wanted him to do, so it's a mistake. Why isn't this kid thinking of me while making this decision?!!!!

I had no student loan debt. And IF he?s not a fast tracker, that $265k will be like lunch money and gone fast.
You read wrong. My OPINION is he was better suited to wait based on what I saw. His size etc. project well. His stuff was limited and he relied on his speed. And it?s a HUGE jump from 1A ball to MLB. Matters not to me what he does. I gave my opinion. But some of you don?t want to hear other opinions. Again, it?s his dream. He can do whatever he wants. 18 and living on the road ain?t easy. I’ve got a future son in law doing it.
Good luck to him. We?ll all see later...

MarketingBully
06-14-2019, 03:23 PM
I wouldn’t use Cerantola as an example Shotgun. All it will take is one dominant year and he has two more years to do it. He’s got the 98 mph fastball. He just needs more command and he will be fine. Ask Dakota Hudson who didn’t sniff playing that much in 2014 but was a first rounder in 2016. There are certainly exceptions to every rule but by and large college baseball gives you the best chance to succeed long term.

MarketingBully
06-14-2019, 03:33 PM
If he had the grades so he could get a full ride, I’d of gone to college and taken my chances in three years that I could parlay it into the first round. We have a track record of developing pitchers and I know he would have been developed to his full extent here as well. If his family needed the money and he didn’t have the grades, I’d of taken the money. Really depends on the situation like everyone has said. But a guy who is raw with a great fastball imo can do wonders to his bottom line by going to college. The odds are astronomical of him making the show from where they drafted him. Also, any mention of Austin Riley here is just dumb. He was drafted in the first round and Johnson was drafted in what lower then the 15th round? Not even comparable situations.

gravedigger
06-14-2019, 03:49 PM

That arguments time has come and gone. The CWS coaches today explained this. In the long run, the benefits of some college and the competition will set up a player for a longer career in mlb. That means more money and also explains why the percentage of college kids who got drafted went up this year. Mlb values their maturity and their careers are more stable.

This po kid from the farms and ghettos thinking is just not indicative of reality. It?s novel at best.

ShotgunDawg
06-14-2019, 04:34 PM
That arguments time has come and gone. The CWS coaches today explained this. In the long run, the benefits of some college and the competition will set up a player for a longer career in mlb. That means more money and also explains why the percentage of college kids who got drafted went up this year. Mlb values their maturity and their careers are more stable.

This po kid from the farms and ghettos thinking is just not indicative of reality. It?s novel at best.

The CWS coaches are great sources for this debate*

I’m sure they’re not biased at all and fully willing to paint the entire picture. * sheesh

You have no idea what MLB values

MarketingBully
06-14-2019, 05:17 PM

I’m sure they’re not biased at all and fully willing to paint the entire picture. * sheesh

Dude, odds are extremely good he doesn’t sniff the show especially being drafted in the 14th round out of high school. The Braves basically took a calculated risk on him but trust me he is low priority when it comes to development. Now you can argue we don’t know his family situation and to them $265k is probably a lot of money. Austin Riley is a completely different story and he was drafted in the first round so the Braves had a vested interest in him developing. I guarantee you had Riley been drafted in the 14th round he’d have been in school. You aren’t winning any argument where you say by and large jumping from high school to the pros is a better vehicle then college to the pros. Stats just do not back you up.

msstate7
06-14-2019, 06:04 PM
Dude, odds are extremely good he doesn’t sniff the show especially being drafted in the 14th round out of high school. The Braves basically took a calculated risk on him but trust me he is low priority when it comes to development. Now you can argue we don’t know his family situation and to them $265k is probably a lot of money. Austin Riley is a completely different story and he was drafted in the first round so the Braves had a vested interest in him developing. I guarantee you had Riley been drafted in the 14th round he’d have been in school. You aren’t winning any argument where you say by and large jumping from high school to the pros is a better vehicle then college to the pros. Stats just do not back you up.

He never said that. He said every kid is different.

BB30
06-14-2019, 08:15 PM

The braves have 265,000 reasons to develop him. If he pitches well enough to move up he would have pitched well enough to help us out. If he develops into what would have been a top 5 round pick in three years then he still made an alright decision and if he doesn’t develop into that type of talent he probably wouldn’t have benefited a whole lot from being in Our program.

A lot depends on the type of kid he is as well. I saw quite a few highschool kids not make it because they weren’t mature enough/homebodies. You have to do a lot more on your own in minor league ball where college ball provides a lot of structure.

We won’t know for a couple of years but if his raw stuff is + then he should get 3 years at a minimum to show improvement as long as he doesn’t do anything stupid.

There really wasn’t a bad option either way.

Spiderman
06-14-2019, 08:47 PM

Yet Jarrion Ealy basically turns down $1.3 million because he wasn't gonna go first round to fulfill his life long dream to play football at a team lucky to be over .500 this year.(Roll my eyes)

HoopsDawg
06-14-2019, 08:49 PM

I tend to think he would have made more money in the long run by coming to school, but I certainly can't fault the kid. We are talking about a kid who was headed to JUCO a couple of months ago and next thing you know he is being offered 265K to play for the Braves.

gravedigger
06-14-2019, 09:09 PM

What...as opposed to message board geniuses?

Political Hack
06-14-2019, 10:12 PM
Lifestyle will be worse, but it's hard to argue that either choice would've been a bad one. A lot of it depends on his family's situation and his long term goals.

Todd4State
06-14-2019, 10:14 PM
The braves have 265,000 reasons to develop him. If he pitches well enough to move up he would have pitched well enough to help us out. If he develops into what would have been a top 5 round pick in three years then he still made an alright decision and if he doesn?t develop into that type of talent he probably wouldn?t have benefited a whole lot from being in Our program.

A lot depends on the type of kid he is as well. I saw quite a few highschool kids not make it because they weren?t mature enough/homebodies. You have to do a lot more on your own in minor league ball where college ball provides a lot of structure.

We won?t know for a couple of years but if his raw stuff is + then he should get 3 years at a minimum to show improvement as long as he doesn?t do anything stupid.

There really wasn?t a bad option either way.

The other side of that coin is if he wouldn't have pitched well enough to help us out as a freshman how on Earth would he have been good enough to jump from rookie ball to AA and become a superstar? Just because guys like Cerentola aren't pitching a lot as freshmen- they're still getting innings at summer ball. That builds over the course of their career and by his junior year if all goes well he could be a top five round and possibly first round pick and get more money at that point and possibly move through the minors at a quicker pace like Dakota Hudson.

The goal of all of this isn't to jump to AA the quickest. It's to maximize your chances of becoming a successful MLB player. Typically the guys out of high school that make those kinds of jumps are drafted in the top rounds of the draft- like Harper, Trout, Riley, and etc who were all first round picks. Guys that get drafted lower have a worse chance of doing that out of high school.

BB30
06-14-2019, 10:52 PM
The other side of that coin is if he wouldn't have pitched well enough to help us out as a freshman how on Earth would he have been good enough to jump from rookie ball to AA and become a superstar? Just because guys like Cerentola aren't pitching a lot as freshmen- they're still getting innings at summer ball. That builds over the course of their career and by his junior year if all goes well he could be a top five round and possibly first round pick and get more money at that point and possibly move through the minors at a quicker pace like Dakota Hudson.

The goal of all of this isn't to jump to AA the quickest. It's to maximize your chances of becoming a successful MLB player. Typically the guys out of high school that make those kinds of jumps are drafted in the top rounds of the draft- like Harper, Trout, Riley, and etc who were all first round picks. Guys that get drafted lower have a worse chance of doing that out of high school.

The goal is development in rookie ball and all minor league ball. He will have many more opportunities to pitch against competition that is really solid than he would At state.

I never said the goad was to get to AA the quickest but if he is developing at that rate where he is there in year 3 he made the correct decision. That would mean he has developed really well and is a year or two ahead of where he would be had he gone to state. The goal for all of these guys is to develop and get to the bigs. There are several paths to do this and simply saying he made a poor decision because he didn?t sign with state doesn?t tell the whole story.

Basically don?t knock a kid for taking an opportunity that most college players don?t get.

BB30
06-14-2019, 11:02 PM

And again, we are talking a lot of ifs...for every Hudson that made it there is a woodruff that was not very good at state and didn’t develop until he got into pro ball. Cerentola could just as easily continue to have command issues get drafted top 15 rounds based on stuff and then figure it out in pro ball basically being in the same position he would have been had he gone out of highschool.

It’s a crap shoot both ways. Some kids develop and others don’t. There isn’t a right or wrong answer for a kid if he is getting offered life changing money (whatever that number is for said family)now if your drafted out of highschool In he 30th round and get offered 10k yea that’s an easy decision.

Todd4State
06-14-2019, 11:13 PM
The goal is development in rookie ball and all minor league ball. He will have many more opportunities to pitch against competition that is really solid than he would At state.

I never said the goad was to get to AA the quickest but if he is developing at that rate where he is there in year 3 he made the correct decision. That would mean he has developed really well and is a year or two ahead of where he would be had he gone to state. The goal for all of these guys is to develop and get to the bigs. There are several paths to do this and simply saying he made a poor decision because he didn?t sign with state doesn?t tell the whole story.

Basically don?t knock a kid for taking an opportunity that most college players don?t get.

If he does make it that far he did make the correct decision but he's not playing the odds of that being the correct decision. And that's regardless of whether he was committed to MSU or not.

Todd4State
06-14-2019, 11:24 PM
And again, we are talking a lot of ifs...for every Hudson that made it there is a woodruff that was not very good at state and didn’t develop until he got into pro ball. Cerentola could just as easily continue to have command issues get drafted top 15 rounds based on stuff and then figure it out in pro ball basically being in the same position he would have been had he gone out of highschool.

It’s a crap shoot both ways. Some kids develop and others don’t. There isn’t a right or wrong answer for a kid if he is getting offered life changing money (whatever that number is for said family)now if your drafted out of highschool In he 30th round and get offered 10k yea that’s an easy decision.

I'd say Woodruff was an exception. Most of our guys in MLB were very good at MSU- Hudson, Holder, Frazier, and Renfroe.

There isn't a right or wrong answer- but there is a "best" answer. If you get drafted in the first round and make millions or you have a family that is poor that is one thing. Because then pro baseball probably would be a better option. Beyond that for most likely better off going to college where you have a better chance of getting into MLB, a better chance of getting a higher bonus, and because they would be closer to completing a degree they would be able to re-enter the workforce more quickly after baseball which gives them a chance to make more money on the back end where it isn't as much of a struggle if they don't make it and their 265K is gone. Even if MLB pays for college having to basically sit out for four years with a family is still financially a drain- especially if that 265K is gone or mostly gone at that point.

As far as MSU specifically- we have a really good track record with pitchers like Cerentola. And that may increase odds for some of these players slightly that do come to MSU.

MarketingBully
06-15-2019, 10:19 AM
The braves have 265,000 reasons to develop him. If he pitches well enough to move up he would have pitched well enough to help us out. If he develops into what would have been a top 5 round pick in three years then he still made an alright decision and if he doesn?t develop into that type of talent he probably wouldn?t have benefited a whole lot from being in Our program.

A lot depends on the type of kid he is as well. I saw quite a few highschool kids not make it because they weren?t mature enough/homebodies. You have to do a lot more on your own in minor league ball where college ball provides a lot of structure.

We won?t know for a couple of years but if his raw stuff is + then he should get 3 years at a minimum to show improvement as long as he doesn?t do anything stupid.

There really wasn?t a bad option either way.

I?d say there is about a 5% chance he even makes it to an MLB roster. 265k to the Braves? That?s laughable. They aren?t developing him. He?d of been better off going to school 3 years and getting a 7 figure bonus. At least Fenter got a million. He?s already out of baseball. In three to four years, we will find this kid out of baseball too more then likely. If you are going to jump from high school to the pros, at least get a million. $265k is nothing and imo he should have negotiated better because that might be the only money he gets in the pros.

Todd4State
06-15-2019, 12:19 PM
I?d say there is about a 5% chance he even makes it to an MLB roster. 265k to the Braves? That?s laughable. They aren?t developing him. He?d of been better off going to school 3 years and getting a 7 figure bonus. At least Fenter got a million. He?s already out of baseball. In three to four years, we will find this kid out of baseball too more then likely. If you are going to jump from high school to the pros, at least get a million. $265k is nothing and imo he should have negotiated better because that might be the only money he gets in the pros.

Actually Fenter is still in baseball but he is just now in A ball at the same level that Konnor Pilkington is at. Fenter had Tommy John if I recall correctly.

MarketingBully
06-15-2019, 02:12 PM
Actually Fenter is still in baseball but he is just now in A ball at the same level that Konnor Pilkington is at. Fenter had Tommy John if I recall correctly.

At least he got a million dollars though. That is what it took to sign him. He was coming to school otherwise.

bulldogcountry1
06-15-2019, 05:22 PM
All I ever wanted to do was play baseball at State. I never even gave much thought to playing in the big leagues, even when I was a kid. At the same time, I really hated school. If I had been fortunate to be offered 6 figures to skip college and play baseball, it would have been a tough call.

As it turns out, I wasn?t good enough to make the travel roster at juco, so I wound up in engineering school.

maroonmania
06-15-2019, 05:27 PM

Dakota Hudson is an example of a guy who came to MSU with loads of arm talent but didn't do much his first 2 years only to put it all together as a JR and go in the first round. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the fact that someone doesn't get a lot of innings on an SEC team as a freshman.

MarketingBully
06-16-2019, 04:39 PM
Dakota Hudson is an example of a guy who came to MSU with loads of arm talent but didn't do much his first 2 years only to put it all together as a JR and go in the first round. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the fact that someone doesn't get a lot of innings on an SEC team as a freshman.

Exactly.