PDA

View Full Version : OM Fans Care About Women's Basketball Now

ShotgunDawg
06-12-2019, 11:50 PM
Pretty funny.

I just wondered over to the Spirit to see if they still wanted to fire Bianco today, and I was somewhat surprised but Unsurprised to see 3 threads on their main board about Women's basketball.

Then it dawned on me.....

They follow us around like a lost puppy just trying to be like us.

Just like with their baseball program 20 years, they now care about women's basketball only because we're good at it and they can't stand it.

They want to be us. They are jealous and want what we have.

We are in their dome and they stink at everything

notsofarawaydawg
06-13-2019, 12:28 AM
The only reason they were legit in women's basketball years ago was because they had a coach who graduated from Mississippi State University.

Todd4State
06-13-2019, 12:54 AM
The only reason they were legit in women's basketball years ago was because they had a coach who graduated from Mississippi State University.

Sounds like their men's team right now.

Todd4State
06-13-2019, 12:59 AM
Pretty funny.

I just wondered over to the Spirit to see if they still wanted to fire Bianco today, and I was somewhat surprised but Unsurprised to see 3 threads on their main board about Women's basketball.

Then it dawned on me.....

They follow us around like a lost puppy just trying to like us.

Just like with their baseball program 20 years, they now care about women's basketball only because we're good at it and they can't stand it.

They want to be us. They are jealous and want what we have.

We are in their dome and they stink at everything

You're absolutely right. The reason that they are what they are in baseball is in large part because of MSU. Otherwise I doubt that they would have invested what they have in it- especially in their stadium. And I wonder where they got their fans in the outfield idea from?** Of course, MSU being the nice people that we are basically gave Bianco a ten year head start- and we still went to Omaha more times than they did in that ten year span and had one of our 13 SEC win teams wipe the floor with their best team in the SEC Tournament Championship Game in 2005.

Ari Gold
06-13-2019, 07:00 AM
I doubt Yo Yo or what ever the hell they call her makes a big difference.. they have to get better look how bad they have been the last 20 years ..

BrunswickDawg
06-13-2019, 08:14 AM
I think this fits with their "quick fix" culture. In their minds, we went from zero to national power overnight. Therefore, it will be easy for them to "reclaim" their roll as an "elite". As always, they fail to recognize a number of things in their logic.

First, they were a very good program under Van Chancellor - but not elite. They never made a Final Four, they only won 1 SEC Title, never played for an SEC tournament title, and the SEC has gotten considerably tougher then the 80s & 90s. UT, Auburn and UGA were all better than OM in Van's heyday - and Bama, LSU, & Vandy were all as good as OM. Their in-state rival was also possibly the worst program in the league at the time.

Second, the success of our program was not overnight. Sharon Fanning moved us from irrelevant to somewhat competitive over 17 years, and at least gave us a base to build from. Vic has made a leap that very few coaches/programs can make - and it's not something you can "buy" and create just because you want to. Ole Miss won't be patient enough - and will probably violate rules (again! Who gets busted for cheating in Women's Basketball???) and won't build a real foundation. It will be like every other sport they have - put all their effort into 1 recruiting class, riding it for 4 years, underachieve, and crash back to earth.

Dawgology
06-13-2019, 08:31 AM
In doubt Yo Yo or what eve the hell they call her makes a big difference.. they have to get better look how bad they have been the last 20 years ..

How when MSU starts excelling at a sport Ole Miss will suddenly start recruiting at a high level for that sport. Ultimately, it ends in failure for them, but you can't deny the trend. It's hilarious and sad at the same time.

Dawg2003
06-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Vic is one in a million. There are not many elite coaches out there. Coach Yo is better than Insell, but that's a low bar.

timotheus
06-13-2019, 09:18 AM
I vividly remember way back in 89, I believe after they had planted pine trees behind the outfield fence. Some frat boys got em a chain saw and cut them all down one nite because they wanted to tailgate there as MSU did at the time. The guys were caught and made to do community service etc. I'm not sure if they were actually arrested or not.