PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss the CWS

CadaverDawg
06-12-2019, 10:56 AM
We know Small is going game 1 vs one of the bottom 3 teams in the CWS, so we expect to be able to win game 1. Obviously no guarantees with how Auburn is playing, but we'll be a favorite to win game 1.

Assuming we win game 1 and Vandy wins like they are expected to...would we go Ginn or Plumlee in game 2? We will not be favored against Vandy, and while Plumlee has been incredible, Vandy seems to hit pretty much every non-Ace pretty well. However, considering Ginn's woes lately and sore arm situation, I'd hate to have him throwing a win or go home game right after a potential loss to Vandy. That's why after some thought, I'm hoping Lemonis decides to throw Ginn in game 2 where we know we have a 3rd game and we'll have old reliable (Plumlee) on the mound for it. If Ginn is back to form, then we likely have Plumlee starting a semifinal matchup against someone's #4, and I love the way that sets up. Then we have Small set for Game 1 of the Finals if we continue to win.

I normally hate looking ahead to determine pitching, but you have to at least glance at it or you can knock yourself out of a Title shot by throwing the wrong guys early. Bottom line, JT Ginn will determine how far we can go in this tournament one way or the other. And you know what, I think he'll embrace that bc it's why he came to State. That's why I throw him out there in hopefully a game 2 winner's bracket game, and let him win us that one and one more on our way to our first Natty.

Thoughts?

Hambone
06-12-2019, 11:01 AM
It’s not a for sure fact that Small is going Sunday. Lemonis said that he’s going to talk to Ethan and Ethan is the only one that can alter that decision.

So, if Ethan tells Lemonis he’d rather face Louisville/Vandy then Lemonis would consider it.

MetEdDawg
06-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Got to be Plumlee game 2. He's been there done that before and I trust him right now over Ginn.

Ginn has better stuff when he's pitching like himself but Plumlee has way more experience. And with Ginn having the arm issues that's one of those things you have to factor in.

Looks like arm fatigue is a factor for Ginn right now. Only way to fix that is rest and the more the better. Give Ginn an extra few days rest and let him come back game 3 regardless. Ginn will still have a decisive advantage over anyone else's starter in game 3 on our side that we could potentially face.

Covercorner2
06-12-2019, 11:15 AM
It?s not a for sure fact that Small is going Sunday. Lemonis said that he?s going to talk to Ethan and Ethan is the only one that can alter that decision.

So, if Ethan tells Lemonis he?d rather face Louisville/Vandy then Lemonis would consider it.

What? Lemonis literally said yesterday Ethan was starting. Like multiple times....

He said he was going to talk to Ethan about whether or not to wear the black uniforms lol.

Captain Falcon
06-12-2019, 11:20 AM
It’s not a for sure fact that Small is going Sunday. Lemonis said that he’s going to talk to Ethan and Ethan is the only one that can alter that decision.

So, if Ethan tells Lemonis he’d rather face Louisville/Vandy then Lemonis would consider it.

That’s not true at all. Small is for sure starting Sunday. The decision Lemonis was talking about Ethan being able to alter is what color jerseys we are wearing.

I would be pretty surprised if our rotation isn’t Small, Plumlee, Ginn in that order. Also, I’m not sure why everyone is assuming that Vandy beating Louisville is such a given. Vandy lost a game 18-5 with their ace on the mound less than a week ago. Louisville won the ACC and is really good, and they have the better ace. Vandy might be a slight favorite in that game but UL winning wouldn’t be an upset at all.

All year long Lemonis has preached the message of “don’t worry about the opponent, just stick to our plan”. I can’t imagine we change that now that we’re 51-13 and in Omaha.

dawgs
06-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Yeah Vandy is favored over Louisville, but Louisville is the 4th best odds to win the CWS behind us, Vandy, and Arkansas. 3 of the top 4 teams according to Vegas are on our side. Only reason Arkansas's odds are even with Vandy is because they are expected to coast they their side of the bracket (Michigan and f$u are the 2 worst odds in the field by a significant margin). Basically, Louisville beating Vandy in game 1 would not be a shock or major upset.

MarketingBully
06-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Louisville’s ace is better then Fellows. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Lemonis vs McDonnell in the winner’s bracket for game two.

Randolph Dupree
06-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Vandy is extremely beatable. All three of our starters pitch it well enough to keep them in check. The key for us will be for our guys to be patient at the plate. I've watched Vandy in several games this year and they seem to take advantage of aggressive approaches. If we can work counts we will be in good shape

Also like our odds against their #2 pitcher. The guy threw 139 pitches in a no-hitter...it's hard to put together another game like that in your next outing. Would be nice to get them the day after they go 17 innings and see how that works for them.

Hambone
06-12-2019, 12:03 PM
My apologies, I missed the part where he was referring to the uniforms.

Commercecomet24
06-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Louisville’s ace is better then Fellows. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Lemonis vs McDonnell in the winner’s bracket for game two.

Yeah Louisville number 1 is a stud. Vandy beating Louisville is no where close to a sure thing, although I believe Vandy wins but it's gonna be a battle

msbulldog
06-12-2019, 12:31 PM
I agree with Cdawg, Ginn in the second game. He has had enough rest, if he hasn't he is probably through for the season. If we get in the losers bracket I want Plum to step up, because I know he can and will.

smootness
06-12-2019, 12:41 PM
Got to be Plumlee game 2. He's been there done that before and I trust him right now over Ginn.

Ginn has better stuff when he's pitching like himself but Plumlee has way more experience. And with Ginn having the arm issues that's one of those things you have to factor in.

Looks like arm fatigue is a factor for Ginn right now. Only way to fix that is rest and the more the better. Give Ginn an extra few days rest and let him come back game 3 regardless. Ginn will still have a decisive advantage over anyone else's starter in game 3 on our side that we could potentially face.

Yeah, but the fatigue factor actually makes me want to start him in Game 2. He has had plenty of rest at this point. If he was available to go Game 3 of the SR and gets an additional week of extra rest beyond that, that is just fine. I'm not sure any more rest than that would help, and it could actually hurt him to have too much rest.

Also, if he pitches Game 3, he's set up to have to either pitch Friday, then Tuesday or Wednesday (in the championship series) or Thursday, then Monday or Tuesday of the championship series. If he pitches Game 2, he goes Tuesday and then not again until at least Saturday or, more likely, the following Monday-Tuesday.

No matter what, every SP we have needs to be prepared to pitch twice in this tournament, and the guy who needs the most rest is Ginn. Pitching him in Game 2 sets him up best to get that rest.

Also, the guy turned down 1st round pick money from the Dodgers to come here and pitch in moments like this. I think he'll be as locked in as possible. I like his chances to be lights out when he pitches.

PMDawg
06-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Yeah Louisville number 1 is a stud. Vandy beating Louisville is no where close to a sure thing, although I believe Vandy wins but it's gonna be a battle

Just looking at statistics, it looks like Louisville's staff has a pretty big drop off after Detmers. Let's hope Louisville wins the first game.

Commercecomet24
06-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Just looking at statistics, it looks like Louisville's staff has a pretty big drop off after Detmers. Let's hope Louisville wins the first game.

This is correct.

CadaverDawg
06-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Yeah, but the fatigue factor actually makes me want to start him in Game 2. He has had plenty of rest at this point. If he was available to go Game 3 of the SR and gets an additional week of extra rest beyond that, that is just fine. I'm not sure any more rest than that would help, and it could actually hurt him to have too much rest.

Also, if he pitches Game 3, he's set up to have to either pitch Friday, then Tuesday or Wednesday (in the championship series) or Thursday, then Monday or Tuesday of the championship series. If he pitches Game 2, he goes Tuesday and then not again until at least Saturday or, more likely, the following Monday-Tuesday.

No matter what, every SP we have needs to be prepared to pitch twice in this tournament, and the guy who needs the most rest is Ginn. Pitching him in Game 2 sets him up best to get that rest.

Also, the guy turned down 1st round pick money from the Dodgers to come here and pitch in moments like this. I think he'll be as locked in as possible. I like his chances to be lights out when he pitches.

Exactly what my thinking is and why I like Ginn in game 2

DancingRabbit
06-12-2019, 01:01 PM
Perfect Game just named JT as National Freshman of the Year

PMDawg
06-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Exactly what my thinking is and why I like Ginn in game 2

It's tricky. Your logic is correct, but you want to give yourself the best chance of going 2-0 (and winning the whole thing). Honestly, if we don't start 2-0, it gets very dicey, very quickly, for our pitching staff. We would very likely be going johnny-whole-staff on Friday and Saturday in order to get to the championship series. We could do it, but we're a long shot at that point - let's be honest. So, first question is: who do you trust most to get to 2-0? Small & Ginn or Small and Plumlee? Then you have to consider how that plays out from there. If you lose one, you get in bad shape quickly. Then you have to think who you want on the mound in game 3 of the championship series, with it all on the line. Ginn or Plumlee, and whoever you pick will be on short rest. The quick turnaround to the championship series really messes things up.

smootness
06-12-2019, 03:56 PM
It's tricky. Your logic is correct, but you want to give yourself the best chance of going 2-0 (and winning the whole thing). Honestly, if we don't start 2-0, it gets very dicey, very quickly, for our pitching staff. We would very likely be going johnny-whole-staff on Friday and Saturday in order to get to the championship series. We could do it, but we're a long shot at that point - let's be honest. So, first question is: who do you trust most to get to 2-0? Small & Ginn or Small and Plumlee? Then you have to consider how that plays out from there. If you lose one, you get in bad shape quickly. Then you have to think who you want on the mound in game 3 of the championship series, with it all on the line. Ginn or Plumlee, and whoever you pick will be on short rest. The quick turnaround to the championship series really messes things up.

You could bring Small back on Friday and still have him available at least for Game 3 of the Finals. I think that's what we would have to do. We're not beating a Louisville or Vandy in 2 straight without using any of our starters. I think our best bet would be to run out Johnny Wholestaff in the Thursday game and then have Small-Plumlee available to go Friday-Saturday. Because there's a decent chance the team we play Thursday is not as good as the team we would then have to beat 2 straight.

smootness
06-12-2019, 04:01 PM
Look what Oregon St. did to get out of the loser's bracket last year. They went Heimlich-Fehmel-Heimlich-Fehmel in the first 4 before finally throwing Abel in game 5. Then they still brought Heimlich and Fehmel back for the first 2 games of the finals. Now, they couldn't have those guys go very deep beyond the first 2 games, but it's still the route they took. I would go Johnny Wholestaff in one of the games in the loser's bracket knowing I would have to at some point and I'd rather have fresher SPs who can go deeper...but I would absolutely bring Small back Friday and then have him ready to go again Wednesday for the deciding game of the finals if we got there.

MarketingBully
06-12-2019, 04:10 PM
If Ginn has one great start in him in the CWS, I think I’d use him in Game 3. If he’s healthy, I’d use him in Game 2. Depends on his health and if he’s full go. If he is full go bad ass Ginn, I’d throw him game 2 and let Plumlee go game 3 to finish it out before championship series. I wouldn’t just concede Small in game 3 otherwise we make the CWS final but we go out in two games especially if the other team is able to lineup their starting pitching. Henderson had the right idea last year but we just didn’t have that third starter like we do this year.

Dawg61
06-12-2019, 04:41 PM
I'm changing my tune here on this but I'd start Ginn game 1 vs Auburn. He's already beaten Auburn and by starting him game 1 you're already going into the game with a backup plan in place in case he can't go for very long. I think our bullpen and more specifically Cole Gordon is going to be the key for us making the title series or not. We have to have the great version of Gordon to make it.

Todd4State
06-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Small, Plumlee, and Ginn. That's the way to go to me.

PMDawg
06-12-2019, 05:29 PM
I'm changing my tune here on this but I'd start Ginn game 1 vs Auburn. He's already beaten Auburn and by starting him game 1 you're already going into the game with a backup plan in place in case he can't go for very long. I think our bullpen and more specifically Cole Gordon is going to be the key for us making the title series or not. We have to have the great version of Gordon to make it.

I'm second guessing myself. Just pick your 1 2 and 3 and run em out in order. No reason to overthink. Worry about 4 and beyond if you get there

I seen it dawg
06-12-2019, 05:43 PM
National Championship to State

Activated Alpha
06-12-2019, 06:51 PM
Can’t be overlooking Auburn. They are a good team who is hot at the right time

Dawg61
06-12-2019, 08:57 PM
You're definitely right in that we can't overlook Auburn I just have a good feeling we're about to see the best version of Ginn we've seen all year and if I'm right which game would you want to see that in? For me it's game 1.

PMDawg
06-13-2019, 08:33 AM
You're definitely right in that we can't overlook Auburn I just have a good feeling we're about to see the best version of Ginn we've seen all year and if I'm right which game would you want to see that in? For me it's game 1.

If this happens, we definitely are winning it all.

smootness
06-13-2019, 09:51 AM
I'm second guessing myself. Just pick your 1 2 and 3 and run em out in order. No reason to overthink. Worry about 4 and beyond if you get there

The only thing I change to that is I run out my 1 and 2, and then bring my 1 back on Friday.

smootness
06-13-2019, 09:51 AM
If this happens, we definitely are winning it all.

Ha yeah, if we get the best version of Ginn and Ethan Small in the first 2 games, we're going 2-0 and sitting pretty from there.

BrunswickDawg
06-13-2019, 10:28 AM
Look what Oregon St. did to get out of the loser's bracket last year. They went Heimlich-Fehmel-Heimlich-Fehmel in the first 4 before finally throwing Abel in game 5. Then they still brought Heimlich and Fehmel back for the first 2 games of the finals. Now, they couldn't have those guys go very deep beyond the first 2 games, but it's still the route they took. I would go Johnny Wholestaff in one of the games in the loser's bracket knowing I would have to at some point and I'd rather have fresher SPs who can go deeper...but I would absolutely bring Small back Friday and then have him ready to go again Wednesday for the deciding game of the finals if we got there.

If we get into a pinch for pitching - I'd give the ball to Cole Gordon. He hasn't done it as much this year, but he can stretch it out beyond 1-2 innings (he did go 5 innings against LSU). He bailed us out in long relief last post season - and we all know post season Cole is $.

smootness
06-13-2019, 11:25 AM
If we get into a pinch for pitching - I'd give the ball to Cole Gordon. He hasn't done it as much this year, but he can stretch it out beyond 1-2 innings (he did go 5 innings against LSU). He bailed us out in long relief last post season - and we all know post season Cole is $.

That may be an option, but we're going to need him for relief, and we're going to need him to potentially go 2-3 innings in a game or two in that role, I'm sure. I just doubt he'll be available to do that as often as we need, especially since he was drafted so his baseball career isn't over after this.

He's definitely a nice weapon to have out of the pen that you can have go deep if needed...but if he does that in game 1 or 2, it's tough to see him available to do it again that soon.

Scared_Hitless
06-13-2019, 11:35 AM
I just don't trust Ginn currently he has not had a good outing in quite some time. You cant lose the first game so give me Small and start 1-0 then Plumlee and hope like hell Ginn is electric which he can be in game 3.

BrunswickDawg
06-13-2019, 12:29 PM
That may be an option, but we're going to need him for relief, and we're going to need him to potentially go 2-3 innings in a game or two in that role, I'm sure. I just doubt he'll be available to do that as often as we need, especially since he was drafted so his baseball career isn't over after this.

He's definitely a nice weapon to have out of the pen that you can have go deep if needed...but if he does that in game 1 or 2, it's tough to see him available to do it again that soon.

Why not? That's basically what Cole did in Game 2 against UNC last year - Cole gets us out of a jam in the 7th, we jump UNC for 8 in the 8th, and we let Cole finish out. He turned around and shut down OSU for 4 innings in game 4 and kept us in the game after Small got rocked in the 3rd inning. That would have been big if we had come back because we had gotten a little deep in the pen in game 5. With Ginn being questionable, having Cole do something similar could be big. It could allow us to reduce the load on Ginn in game 3 and keep more arms fresh for the championship series. Hopefully it won't be necessary.

smootness
06-13-2019, 02:26 PM
Why not? That's basically what Cole did in Game 2 against UNC last year - Cole gets us out of a jam in the 7th, we jump UNC for 8 in the 8th, and we let Cole finish out. He turned around and shut down OSU for 4 innings in game 4 and kept us in the game after Small got rocked in the 3rd inning. That would have been big if we had come back because we had gotten a little deep in the pen in game 5. With Ginn being questionable, having Cole do something similar could be big. It could allow us to reduce the load on Ginn in game 3 and keep more arms fresh for the championship series. Hopefully it won't be necessary.

I guess I thought you meant that he could start the game I had the Wholestaff approach in. If you just mean that in general, we can give it to him for longer stretches, I agree with you...though that does have its limits. Especially since this year he was drafted and last year he wasn't even sure he was going to keep playing baseball at all. I think if he goes 1-2 innings in games 1 and 2, he could potentially be available to go deep on Friday. I'm not sure he'd be ready to do that Thursday, though.

BrunswickDawg
06-13-2019, 03:40 PM
I guess I thought you meant that he could start the game I had the Wholestaff approach in. If you just mean that in general, we can give it to him for longer stretches, I agree with you...though that does have its limits. Especially since this year he was drafted and last year he wasn't even sure he was going to keep playing baseball at all. I think if he goes 1-2 innings in games 1 and 2, he could potentially be available to go deep on Friday. I'm not sure he'd be ready to do that Thursday, though.

Yeah, wasn't really specific enough in that first post. I think the big thing about Cole is he has the flexibility to close or do a longer stint (like Holder to a degree) and he is a hoss (also like Holder). I wouldn't be shocked to see him pitch in every game in Omaha. He has also be used pretty judiciously all season - as our whole staff has been. This is the time of year where we see different approaches and performances because the stakes are so high. Starters might extend, closers may go every game, etc. Cole is a guy I would have confidence in taking the ball a lot over the next 2 weeks.

BuckyIsAB****
06-13-2019, 10:21 PM
I wouldnt be scared at all to start Cole Gordon if Ginn cant go

smootness
06-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Yeah, wasn't really specific enough in that first post. I think the big thing about Cole is he has the flexibility to close or do a longer stint (like Holder to a degree) and he is a hoss (also like Holder). I wouldn't be shocked to see him pitch in every game in Omaha. He has also be used pretty judiciously all season - as our whole staff has been. This is the time of year where we see different approaches and performances because the stakes are so high. Starters might extend, closers may go every game, etc. Cole is a guy I would have confidence in taking the ball a lot over the next 2 weeks.

Agreed, our staff has done a great job of not overextending guys and prioritizing their health while still putting us in a good position to win games. This is where I don't envy a coach - Lemonis and all the other coaches are in a tough position of still trying to protect guys as much as he can while also realizing this is your shot and you want to do everything you can to win it. And I'm sure the players want to do everything they can as well, which only makes it harder. In some cases you may be stuck in deciding between telling your own player he has to come out, when you both want him to stay in, because you want to protect his future.