PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones Holding out for new contract

Goldendawg
06-11-2019, 07:12 PM
All Pro Chris Jones is holding out of KC's 3 day mandatory mini-camp,(can be fined $88,650), after missing all of voluntary workouts. Chris is in the last year of his 3 year deal and wants a new contract extension done as does KC. KC says no timetable in place but want it done. Another hard-working Bulldog about to get paid. He led the Chiefs and was third in the NFL with 15 1/2 sacks last season. Hail Chris! Hail State!

Hot Rock
06-11-2019, 07:17 PM
hope he gets his money!

turkish
06-11-2019, 07:25 PM
Mere curiosity, but I?m gonna ask anyway. We have some elite guys in the NFL now making serious money, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. How benevolent have they been to MSU since their windfalls?

Homedawg
06-11-2019, 08:03 PM
All Pro Chris Jones is holding out of KC's 3 day mandatory mini-camp,(can be fined $88,650), after missing all of voluntary workouts. Chris is in the last year of his 3 year deal and wants a new contract extension done as does KC. KC says no timetable in place but want it done. Another hard-working Bulldog about to get paid. He led the Chiefs and was third in the NFL with 15 1/2 sacks last season. Hail Chris! Hail State!

Just go to work. Hell hes gonna get paid or they are gonna franchise him. Or he ends up a free agent. Drives me nuts.

Homedawg
06-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Mere curiosity, but I?m gonna ask anyway. We have some elite guys in the NFL now making serious money, mostly on the defensive side of the ball. How benevolent have they been to MSU since their windfalls?

A couple have given some. I'll leave it at that. Baseball does way better in that regard.

DancingRabbit
06-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Just go to work. Hell hes gonna get paid or they are gonna franchise him. Or he ends up a free agent. Drives me nuts.

I think for now I'm going to be on Chris' side.

MetEdDawg
06-11-2019, 08:28 PM

I'm the same. I've never liked this and that will never change. You get a contract. Yes maybe you "outperform" it or whatever that means. You will get paid when it gets time. If you don't someone else will take you.

I guess working in a job that isn't a negotiated salary and that everyone like me makes exactly what I make makes me jaded against this kind of stuff.

starkvegasdawg
06-11-2019, 08:29 PM

Have to agree. You agreed to a set number of terms for a set amount of time. You keep your word. If the Chiefs decided they were not happy with the contract they agreed to and announced they were going to cut his salary by 20% his last year they'd end up in court.

BuckyIsAB****
06-11-2019, 08:36 PM
Its getting about time for some of these NFL cats to come back and get their names on an athletic building. We need a new IPF

bulldawg28
06-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Get your money Chris! If you feel you've earned a raise go after it.

DancingRabbit
06-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Have to agree. You agreed to a set number of terms for a set amount of time. You keep your word. If the Chiefs decided they were not happy with the contract they agreed to and announced they were going to cut his salary by 20% his last year they'd end up in court.

I'll change my mind if he doesn't show up for camp. Hopefully they'll get the deal done soon.

Right now KC doesn't owe him a dime. They could cut him tomorrow. He's set to make $1.5M this year. What if he gets seriously injured in OTAs. That might be the last $1.5M he ever makes in football.

He's been a bargain. He should make $15M+ next year. He's been a good soldier and he's a fan favorite. If you have leverage sometimes you have to use it.

Homedawg
06-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Get your money Chris! If you feel you've earned a raise go after it.

He's gonna get a raise. Now go to practice. Sitting out doesn't solve it. But you have your right to different opinion

Homedawg
06-11-2019, 09:04 PM
I'll change my mind if he doesn't show up for camp. Hopefully they'll get the deal done soon.

Right now KC doesn't owe him a dime. They could cut him tomorrow. He's set to make $1.5M this year. What if he gets seriously injured in OTAs. That might be the last $1.5M he ever makes in football.

He's been a bargain. He should make $15M+ next year. He's been a good soldier and he's a fan favorite. If you have leverage sometimes you have to use it.

Sure they could cut him and he'd have teams lining up at the door....but let's not go crazy on the 15 mil. He did it for one year. Do it again... and yeah.

DancingRabbit
06-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Sure they could cut him and he'd have teams lining up at the door....but let's not go crazy on the 15 mil. He did it for one year. Do it again... and yeah.

https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Article/Kansas-City-Chiefs-Chris-Jones-contract-extension-projection-131107501/

Homedawg
06-11-2019, 09:43 PM
https://247sports.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/Article/Kansas-City-Chiefs-Chris-Jones-contract-extension-projection-131107501/

Fair enough.... that's getting ahead of the curve for sure. Go info. Thanks.

bulldawg28
06-12-2019, 11:40 AM

Get your money Chris!

Johnson85
06-12-2019, 12:03 PM
I'm the same. I've never liked this and that will never change. You get a contract. Yes maybe you "outperform" it or whatever that means. You will get paid when it gets time. If you don't someone else will take you.

I guess working in a job that isn't a negotiated salary and that everyone like me makes exactly what I make makes me jaded against this kind of stuff.

There is just nothing equivalent to football contracts. His value now is high, but if he blows out a knee in week 15 this year, somebody will still want him, but he doesn't get paid anywhere what he's worth now. Football players just have short careers and don't get a lot of guaranteed money compared to basketball and baseball. They can cut him, but he can't hold out? I mean, I generally prefer for people to just honor their contracts, but there is a reason that holding out is a common occurrence, and it's that it's smart. Now, if he can economically insure against an injury, then he should do that and finish out his contract. I suspect it's hard to do that though; if you underwrite a policy that fully insurers a player for that, then if their stock starts slipping, all of the sudden being injured starts to look attractive.

Johnson85
06-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Or he ends up with a late season injury and his value is slashed, and he takes a fraction of what he could command now.

Homedawg
06-12-2019, 12:06 PM
Or he ends up with a late season injury and his value is slashed, and he takes a fraction of what he could command now.

I get all that. But he doesn't have to hold out. Is Dak?.......He has a contract. Until he has a new one he should be at workouts.

HoopsDawg
06-12-2019, 12:15 PM
I get all that. But he doesn't have to hold out. Is Dak?.......He has a contract. Until he has a new one he should be at workouts.

LOL, surprised people still feel this way in 2019. Get your money Chris!

starkvegasdawg
06-12-2019, 12:19 PM
LOL, surprised people still feel this way in 2019. Get your money Chris!

So if your boss comes to you this afternoon and says the company decided not to honor the contract/agreement with you and cut your salary they should expect you to be ok with it since it's 2019?

msstate7
06-12-2019, 12:20 PM
KC def ranks last year:
Scoring - 24th
Rushing yds/game - 27th
Passing yds/game - 31st
Total yds/game - 31st

Is using around 20 million a year in a defender a good move for KC? This situation seems like KC should've pulled a patriots' kinda move and traded jones for draft picks pre-draft. KC has a lot of issues defensively

smootness
06-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Yet they can let him go and pay him none of it with no penalty.

smootness
06-12-2019, 12:31 PM

It certainly means you can't relate. None of us probably can.

But you should still be able to look and see that this is the way the system is set up. If the team can cut a player and avoid paying them the salary they agreed to pay them, the player should be able to hold out and avoid playing for the amount they agreed to play for.

Jarius
06-12-2019, 12:31 PM

So you think every football coach that has years on his contract left should not take a better opportunity at another school simply because he has a contract for a set amount of money at another school? Bullshit.

HoopsDawg
06-12-2019, 12:44 PM
So if your boss comes to you this afternoon and says the company decided not to honor the contract/agreement with you and cut your salary they should expect you to be ok with it since it's 2019?

That's exactly how the NFL works. You can sign a contract paying you 50 million in your 4th year and they can cut you after your 3rd year and not pay you a dime of the 50 million. Guaranteed money is the only thing that matters.

thf24
06-12-2019, 12:46 PM

That's a very incomplete comparison. The pro sports equivalent to a conventional salaried position would be an employee with niche qualifications working in a right-to-work state having signed a very broad non-compete. Your employer can fire you at any time for almost any reason with little to no consequence. Sure you can also quit at any time, but you can't work in your field again until the non-compete is up, which could be several years or more.

On raw principle I want to agree that the players need to stick to their current contracts, but it's hard to make that argument universally when the circumstances are slanted so far in favor of the organization.

dawggrad08
06-12-2019, 02:44 PM

Dak by just position will have a more lengthy career, so urgency isn't necessary for him. Also Dak plays a less physical position with far less risk for injury, with far more rules to protect him....this isn't even close to a comparison.

DancingRabbit
06-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Dak by just position will have a more lengthy career, so urgency isn't necessary for him. Also Dak plays a less physical position with far less risk for injury, with far more rules to protect him....this isn't even close to a comparison.

By nature Dak's position makes him much more necessary for the OTAs to function.

Hot Rock
06-12-2019, 04:41 PM

I used to feel this way but I changed how I feel about it.

The Chiefs will cut his ass in a heartbeat the second they can no longer make money from him, he better get paid when he can. Too many players have gone unpaid and have left that game barely able to walk. He had 15 sacks last year and he deserves to get paid for it. If he isn't worth it, then he won't get paid.

I will hold no ill will vs any player that holds out. You listen to retired players, they realize you have very little time to make money in that league, you can't afford to let any chance to get paid slip by. You may not get another opportunity.

Hot Rock
06-12-2019, 04:46 PM
You will not hear from the other players grumbling about this at all. They know when it comes their time, they want to get paid as well.

The owners make billions, the players do make millions but they are not promised next year. Heck, they aren't promised tomorrow.

BeardoMSU
06-12-2019, 05:01 PM
I used to feel this way but I changed how I feel about it.

The Chiefs will cut his ass in a heartbeat the second they can no longer make money from him, he better get paid when he can. Too many players have gone unpaid and have left that game barely able to walk. He had 15 sacks last year and he deserves to get paid for it. If he isn't worth it, then he won't get paid.

I will hold no ill will vs any player that holds out. You listen to retired players, they realize you have very little time to make money in that league, you can't afford to let any chance to get paid slip by. You may not get another opportunity.

This^

Tbonewannabe
06-13-2019, 10:55 AM

Problem is he gets hurt and then they can cut him. NFL has no guaranteed contract. He has a career ending injury right now and he ends up with less than a Mil. I doubt anyone would gamble with the chance to set up your family for life.

AROB44
06-13-2019, 11:16 AM
So you think every football coach that has years on his contract left should not take a better opportunity at another school simply because he has a contract for a set amount of money at another school? Bullshit.

My personal feelings are if football coaches that sign a contract can just ignore it to take a better job then the school can fire him for poor performance and not owe him a penny. It appears that contracts for coaches are for the coach only. Coaches are different that professional players.

RougeDawg
06-13-2019, 11:22 PM
There is just nothing equivalent to football contracts. His value now is high, but if he blows out a knee in week 15 this year, somebody will still want him, but he doesn't get paid anywhere what he's worth now. Football players just have short careers and don't get a lot of guaranteed money compared to basketball and baseball. They can cut him, but he can't hold out? I mean, I generally prefer for people to just honor their contracts, but there is a reason that holding out is a common occurrence, and it's that it's smart. Now, if he can economically insure against an injury, then he should do that and finish out his contract. I suspect it's hard to do that though; if you underwrite a policy that fully insurers a player for that, then if their stock starts slipping, all of the sudden being injured starts to look attractive.

This all day. In any job, when you have indisputable leverage to get more pay you should use it. However, depending on how you go about leveraging your value will impact you long term. If you respectfully state your case most employers will give you more. If you threaten your case, you will most likely be labeled the remainder of your time with said employer and industry. Value can trump threats, but it will always be a negotiating chip in the future.

Homedawg
06-13-2019, 11:56 PM
Problem is he gets hurt and then they can cut him. NFL has no guaranteed contract. He has a career ending injury right now and he ends up with less than a Mil. I doubt anyone would gamble with the chance to set up your family for life.

But holding out doesn't mean he gets the deal he wants. Yes he wants a new contract and will get one. I'm not against that part. I'm against holding out. So what if the chiefs were to say, we'll talk about it after the year? (Which I agree is stupid) but what if they did? Should he sit out next year because he might get hurt? And to add, he's skipping non contact work anyway. And since my dak comparison wasn't fair, ok I'll go w that, fletcher didn't hold out. Hell Chris is gonna get a lot of money. Just go to practice.

DancingRabbit
06-14-2019, 12:02 AM
This all day. In any job, when you have indisputable leverage to get more pay you should use it. However, depending on how you go about leveraging your value will impact you long term. If you respectfully state your case most employers will give you more. If you threaten your case, you will most likely be labeled the remainder of your time with said employer and industry. Value can trump threats, but it will always be a negotiating chip in the future.

Good ol' Chris while out on a charity event says "sure I want to be a Chief forever", and management thinks they can short-change a top 10 DL. Seems like Chris is re-setting the table but it will get worked out.

He's a bad-ass and a good old boy. But he should get an extension before he does any heavy lifting.

Hot Rock
06-14-2019, 02:55 PM

The NFL cannot be compared to anything most of us will experience, not even other pro-sports are comparable. Everyone, especially the Chiefs themselves know the business side. They know players have to maximize all the leverage they can manage and no NFL team is just going to gracefully give a player millions just because they asked respectfully. It just doesn't work that way. This will not adversely affect him at all with anyone in the game. It's what they have to do. Many if not most players respect his willingness to stand up more than they do the ones that rollover and just take whatever is offered. Even the executives understand why the players have to do it.

Chris needs to get paid, and in the long run it could be cheaper on the Chiefs to go ahead and get it done now. You see, if they wait until the contract is up, they will have to fight off other teams willing to pay more. Right now, its all in-house and they should be able to get a long term deal done where all parties will be happy unless one side is too greedy. I do hope they get it done soon.

Jarius
06-15-2019, 12:29 AM
My personal feelings are if football coaches that sign a contract can just ignore it to take a better job then the school can fire him for poor performance and not owe him a penny. It appears that contracts for coaches are for the coach only. Coaches are different that professional players.

Well he said if you sign a contract you should honor it. I'm going by his words. I mean did he have a problem with the coach at Troy taking a job at West Virginia when he still had years left on his contract at Troy? It's crazy. Chris Jones could blow out his knee and never get another penny. He needs to get paid when he can get paid.