PDA

View Full Version : Where does Mac's home run rank...

SaintDawg
06-11-2019, 09:20 AM
in terms of epic MSU moments?

Personally, I'd put it at #2 behind Morgan William's buzzer beater and just ahead of Burke Masters' grand slam. What y'all think?

shoeless joe
06-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Eh...if it meant more to the outcome or was a game changer it?d be up there. As it is it?s a really awesome moment but not elite. Hell he hit two last year that rank higher than this one.

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2019, 09:25 AM
Recovering the fumble at the end of the game to end #1 Bama's big win streak in 1980 is and probably will always remain #1. I'd say the end of the 99 Egg Bowl ranks ahead of it. Burk Masters' grand slam is definitely ahead of it. Bowers' shot to win the SEC at Bama is ahead of it. That's just off the top of my head.

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Eh...if it meant more to the outcome or was a game changer it?d be up there. As it is it?s anreally awesome moment but not elite. Hell he hit two ast year that rank higher than this one.

How did I forget those two, for sure ahead of it.

msstate7
06-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Mac had 2 bigger HRs last year in postseason

msstate7
06-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Eh...if it meant more to the outcome or was a game changer it?d be up there. As it is it?s a really awesome moment but not elite. Hell he hit two last year that rank higher than this one.

Beat me to it

WinningIsRelentless
06-11-2019, 09:32 AM
His two last year ranked higher than Sunday night.

Johnson85
06-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Personally, I'd put it at #2 behind Morgan William's buzzer beater and just ahead of Burke Masters' grand slam. What y'all think?

Not that high. It was awesome from a personal perspective for Mac and an awesome way to cap off the final home game for some special players, but hard to rank very high when it wasn't necessary to win and we already had a little bit of a cushion.

SaintDawg
06-11-2019, 09:39 AM
All valid and good points. I look at it as a bigger moment than his 2 HR last year because of his injury and the slump that resulted from it. Still exciting as hell!

Cooterpoot
06-11-2019, 09:42 AM
It doesn’t. It was just cool.

bigplayslay
06-11-2019, 09:52 AM

It is funny how each individual has different moments that stick out to them. For me, it's gotta be the moment I realized we'd be #1 after beating the hell out of Auburn in 2014. Other top memories include:

Derek Pegues returning the punt against OM in 2007 I think it was.

Bo Wallace fumbling in 2013/Dak coming into that game late

2004 beating bama in bball to win the SEC championship.

Mac's homeruns last year.

Brent Rooker's 3 bombs against UK his triple crown year was an unbelievable moment.

Those are just off the top of my head that I'll never forget.

msstate7
06-11-2019, 09:52 AM
Being at home made it an awesome moment, but the other 2 were bigger

SaintDawg
06-11-2019, 10:00 AM
It is funny how each individual has different moments that stick out to them. For me, it's gotta be the moment I realized we'd be #1 after beating the hell out of Auburn in 2014. Other top memories include:

Derek Pegues returning the punt against OM in 2007 I think it was.

Bo Wallace fumbling in 2013/Dak coming into that game late

2004 beating bama in bball to win the SEC championship.

Mac's homeruns last year.

Brent Rooker's 3 bombs against UK his triple crown year was an unbelievable moment.

Those are just off the top of my head that I'll never forget.

That's more of what I was meaning. Thanks for completing my thought. It does seem like more moments stand out more to some than to others.

tcdog70
06-11-2019, 10:15 AM
Ken "he Hawk" Phares-walk-off Homer in Gastonia to put us in 1st WS.. ranks pretty high--along with Rick Dixon's shot to beat Fl. i know most of you youngsters don't remember any of that. Brantley Jones beating the Rebs for SEC championship and flipping them the double bird after wearing Archie Who button on his hat.

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2019, 10:19 AM
This was a good personal moment, we were winning 5-1 at the time. Now we need Mac to become Superman for about 5 games and Sweep Omaha

This does not rank as an MSU moment. The Stanford kid will drop a 95 mph fast ball on his back if they ever face each other again

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Ken "he Hawk" Phares-walk-off Homer in Gastonia to put us in 1st WS.. ranks pretty high--along with Rick Dixon's shot to beat Fl. i know most of you youngsters don't remember any of that. Brantley Jones beating the Rebs for SEC championship and flipping them the double bird after wearing Archie Who button on his hat.

Vickerson at Florida May have saved the franchise- we had "super" billboards for about a year afterwards

SailingDawg
06-11-2019, 11:58 AM
It wasn't needed to win, but the sheer power and how it came off his bat with no question where it would end up was just awesome. Add Mac's response, well, the whole 9th inning and after was an epic MSU moment for sure. I was so glad ESPN stayed with the coverage. Top ten memorable moment.

shoeless joe
06-11-2019, 12:20 PM
I know some block these years out but when I was in school it would be: Norwood scoring against Florida, the pick 6 to end the half against bama, the comeback and timmy?s Shot to beat bama and win the SEC, and winning that super in 07 when we weren?t even all that good of a team.

DancingRabbit
06-11-2019, 12:25 PM
This was a good personal moment, we were winning 5-1 at the time. Now we need Mac to become Superman for about 5 games and Sweep Omaha

This does not rank as an MSU moment. The Stanford kid will drop a 95 mph fast ball on his back if they ever face each other again

Opinions vary.

Chris Lemonis on the 9th inning the other night: "People ask me all the time if I've had that moment in Dudy Noble yet. That was my moment. It was one of the greatest moments in Mississippi State history. You can't script that."

DCdawg
06-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Something about Dak's long TD run at Death Valley will always be the most vivid memory for me.

PMDawg
06-11-2019, 12:37 PM
It is funny how each individual has different moments that stick out to them. For me, it's gotta be the moment I realized we'd be #1 after beating the hell out of Auburn in 2014.

I remember that moment, for myself, too. However, what sticks out even more to me is Dak's run vs. LSU where he stiff armed Jalen Mills. It was at that moment that I knew we were in for a heck of a ride in 2014.

sandwolf
06-11-2019, 12:40 PM
I know some block these years out but when I was in school it would be: Norwood scoring against Florida, the pick 6 to end the half against bama, the comeback and timmy?s Shot to beat bama and win the SEC, and winning that super in 07 when we weren?t even all that good of a team.

You and I must be pretty close to the same age. The Anthony Johnson pick 6 against Alabama was the highlight of my football career as a student, which is pretty sad.....that is still our only win against Saban, so that's something I guess.

StarkVegasSteve
06-11-2019, 12:53 PM
I think being there makes the moment more special, at least for me. My list would probably be:

1) Beating Auburn in the rain to go to #1
2) Mac's walk off against FSU
3) Mac's homer Sunday night
4) Dak's run against LSU in Death Valley
5) The Tip, The Kick, The Pick, The Kick
6) The Bowers shot to beat Bama
7) Mario's shot to send the UK game to OT
8) Mac's walkoff against Vandy
9) Football @Arky '15
10) '13 Egg Bowl

sonofozarka
06-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Is one of you Blake what's his name from Bo Bounds show that just started following MSU sports 2 years ago? He started that convo on Twitter last night and it got me to thinking.

1. 6-3 vs Bama in 1980, I wasn't even born but I understand how big that was
2. Westerfield FG to win the West
3. 99 Egg Bowl dramatic finish in 10-2 yr when both teams were good
4. Masters Grand Slam, was there and is the top baseball moment easily
5. 96 basketball run, winning SEC Tourney and going to Final 4
6. Bowers shot to win SEC
7. Beating Shaq/LSU & winning SEC in 91
8. HR in bottom 9 to beat ND in 2000

That's off the top of my head, could've left some out. Dak's long TD run when we won @LSU was cool, beating Florida/Auburn back to back in 00 was awesome, I even still remember vividly when we beat Bama in 96 at home being a big deal

PMDawg
06-11-2019, 04:25 PM
I think being there makes the moment more special, at least for me. My list would probably be:

1) Beating Auburn in the rain to go to #1
2) Mac's walk off against FSU
3) Mac's homer Sunday night
4) Dak's run against LSU in Death Valley
5) The Tip, The Kick, The Pick, The Kick
6) The Bowers shot to beat Bama
7) Mario's shot to send the UK game to OT
8) Mac's walkoff against Vandy
9) Football @Arky '15
10) '13 Egg Bowl

I was in the Hump for Mario's shot. I was directly behind the goal it went in, and almost eye level with the rim. I knew it was good when it left his hand. That was freaking awesome.

The Federalist Engineer
06-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Nice lists fellas, but this my list

(5) Don Smith vs Tennessee in 1986, clutch performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WbTrsTzx2w

(4) Kevin Prentiss vs Tennessee in 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJAG5cD6EA

(3) MSU to the Final 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbafvLyt7OQ

(2) Being #1, Grown Men Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgwvnlb6sfw

(1) Grandslam for Masters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7aPgdVtFnc

IMissJack
06-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Let's not forget that Masters was 6 for 6 in that game as well.

Todd4State
06-11-2019, 07:09 PM
While Mac's moment the other night was magical and awesome just because the odds of things working out like that are slim- his home runs against Florida State and Vanderbilt were bigger. Burke Masters home run was definitely bigger. I'd also put Hunter Renfroe's home run against Oregon State, Rick Dixon over Florida in 1979 in the SEC Tournament, and probably others over it too like Nick Vickerson in 2011.

It definitely was a MSU moment though.

BuckyIsAB****
06-11-2019, 08:42 PM
It is def a good one for me. That whole 9th inning, and plus having watched these kids do what they have done the past few years with little to no stability was special.

But for me, my favorite State moment of all time will always be the 2013 Egg Bowl watching Dak Prescott come off the bench and beat OM

99jc
06-12-2019, 06:16 AM
This question is age dependent. I can tell by the responses how old you are. Nothing even compares to 6-3 Bama game nothing. you had to be living then to know this. Hell this made the national news even Walter Cronkite had it as a headline. Modern day it is without a doubt the beatdown of Auburn to go #1. A lot of great moments but these 2 will be remembered forevah.

tcdog70
06-12-2019, 09:10 AM
This question is age dependent. I can tell by the responses how old you are. Nothing even compares to 6-3 Bama game nothing. you had to be living then to know this. Hell this made the national news even Walter Cronkite had it as a headline. Modern day it is without a doubt the beatdown of Auburn to go #1. A lot of great moments but these 2 will be remembered forevah.

i'll agree if you are talking all sports.. but if just baseball-i still think the 1st walk off homer that put us in our 1st World Series has to be in the top 3. Hawk Phares-a long haired CFer from Cally did in 1971.

MadDawg
06-12-2019, 09:23 AM

WTF. Did the Stanford kid make it to the CWS? Cause that's the only way the little kid will ever get a chance.

chef dixon
06-12-2019, 09:32 AM
It doesn?t matter the game situation relative to all the other things people are bringing up, of course it won?t match those. It is all about the optics and the energy it provides. It was so unique and perfect.

BrunswickDawg
06-12-2019, 09:57 AM
I heard an interesting take on one of the podcasts - can't remember if it was on the Boneyard or Dogpile (so sorry I'm not able to give appropriate credit where it is due)

The take was that one of the things missing from the New Dude was some memorable moment that people will call back to 10, 20, 30 years from now. Of course in a brand new stadium that is a given - but that the game Sunday gave the MSU fanbase it's first memory to cherish at the New Dude, and served as a statement about where MSU and DNF is in terms of elite status in college baseball - a coming out party in a way. National TV, clinching Omaha, Seniors having major moments, announcers in awe of what we have built (and letting the crowd and atmosphere come thru in the broadcast). That 9th inning encapsulated it all and set a new standard for college baseball - and it is MSU leading the way.

That idea really hit home to me.

R2Dawg
06-12-2019, 02:32 PM
Not top 10 for MSU as a whole but it would be top 10 in MSU baseball at Dudy Noble.

Fader21
06-12-2019, 05:20 PM
I agree with most that I don't think I could put it even in the Top 10 of MSU sports moments. My list.

1. UConn buzzer beater
2. 99 Egg Bowl pick
3. Alabama fumble recovery
4. Grand Slam
5. Dak's run in Death Valley
6. Being ranked 1 in football
7. Wallace's fumble
8. Alabama int return for 100 yards
9. The Mayor getting the sec hit record
10. Swat breaking the ncaa block record
Honorable Mention:
Getting a hummer on the soccer field.

Goldendawg
06-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Nice lists fellas, but this my list

(5) Don Smith vs Tennessee in 1986, clutch performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WbTrsTzx2w

(4) Kevin Prentiss vs Tennessee in 1999

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJAG5cD6EA

(3) MSU to the Final 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbafvLyt7OQ

(2) Being #1, Grown Men Cry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgwvnlb6sfw

(1) Grandslam for Masters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7aPgdVtFnc

Thanks for all the youtube connections. I was in Atlanta that night and just watched the Prentiss punt return again. Those are still the best football unis ever, even in white and as for the helmets should be brought back today, if not sooner! Hail Jackie! Hail State! Remind me again of a coach who has carried us to the SEC FB Title Game.