PDA

View Full Version : There's an entire generation

stalkingpoon
06-11-2019, 08:01 AM
of kids growing up in Mississippi that are now seeing Mississippi State be the premier school of Mississippi. We've competed at high levels in all sports across the board for nearly the whole decade. Mullen started it in football in 2010, Cohen got us back to Omaha in 2013, Vic has created a perennial powerhouse in girls baseketball, and baseball has played on an extremely high level since 2016 winning an SEC title to go along with 4 supers and a 2 CWS trips.

Boys and girls all over the state are growing up wanting to be Dak Prescott, Jeff Simmons, Morgan Williams, Victoria Vivians, Brent Rooker and Jake Mangum and I love it. We are leaving the school up north in the dust and it is beautiful.

We need to finish this run off with our first natty and get the monkey off our back.

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Absolutely.

The brand is becoming bigger and more respected by the year

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2019, 08:52 AM
Keep in mind - it's not just MS kids seeing it. Any kids who are fans of those sports see us competing at a national level. That changes the equation when recruiting kids out of state. Instead of "why would I want to go there?", we now have a "They got Dak/Tierra/Hunter/Fletch etc into the league. Maybe I should check them out."

That's a big, big deal.

R2Dawg
06-11-2019, 08:54 AM
No doubt and it goes way beyond the state now

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Well the real definition of a school is the academic side. We are better there too.

Johnson85
06-11-2019, 09:10 AM
of kids growing up in Mississippi that are now seeing Mississippi State be the premier school of Mississippi. We've competed at high levels in all sports across the board for nearly the whole decade. Mullen started it in football in 2010, Cohen got us back to Omaha in 2013, Vic has created a perennial powerhouse in girls baseketball, and baseball has played on an extremely high level since 2016 winning an SEC title to go along with 4 supers and a 2 CWS trips.

Boys and girls all over the state are growing up wanting to be Dak Prescott, Jeff Simmons, Morgan Williams, Victoria Vivians, Brent Rooker and Jake Mangum and I love it. We are leaving the school up north in the dust and it is beautiful.

We need to finish this run off with our first natty and get the monkey off our back.

Ole Miss is going to have to have very competent administration going forward to keep pace. They benefited for a long time from having kids grow up when they were decent to good while MSU was terrible. They got a disproportionate share of the sidewalk fans of the state, and that helped them a ton financially. I used to know lots of older very well off people that gave money to Ole Miss even though they had no connection other than living in the state and cheering for football, and also encouraging younger people to go to Ole Miss.

We are not leaving them behind athletically, but we are doing better than them pretty consistently across the major sports and on top of that, and any impact from that is going to be compounded by the fact that we are graduating a lot more Mississippians each year, which I assume will translate into more graduates that actually take jobs inside the state. I think it's probably been enough of a difference already that we are going to end up with a sizeable political advantage in the state. The sidewalk fans will start to tilt towards MSU and the number of graduates will tip to MSU.

I do wish MSU would have been more aggressive about getting more professional schools ups and going. It's somewhat ridiculous that William Carey has a pharmacy and DO school rather than MSU. Not sure if MSU could have gotten those or if the IHL would have shot them down to protect Ole Miss, but those are schools creating graduates with well paying jobs and at least for the DO graduates, those are needed in Mississippi.

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Ole Miss is going to have to have very competent administration going forward to keep pace. They benefited for a long time from having kids grow up when they were decent to good while MSU was terrible. They got a disproportionate share of the sidewalk fans of the state, and that helped them a ton financially. I used to know lots of older very well off people that gave money to Ole Miss even though they had no connection other than living in the state and cheering for football, and also encouraging younger people to go to Ole Miss.

We are not leaving them behind athletically, but we are doing better than them pretty consistently across the major sports and on top of that, and any impact from that is going to be compounded by the fact that we are graduating a lot more Mississippians each year, which I assume will translate into more graduates that actually take jobs inside the state. I think it's probably been enough of a difference already that we are going to end up with a sizeable political advantage in the state. The sidewalk fans will start to tilt towards MSU and the number of graduates will tip to MSU.

I do wish MSU would have been more aggressive about getting more professional schools ups and going. It's somewhat ridiculous that William Carey has a pharmacy and DO school rather than MSU. Not sure if MSU could have gotten those or if the IHL would have shot them down to protect Ole Miss, but those are schools creating graduates with well paying jobs and at least for the DO graduates, those are needed in Mississippi.

MSU will not get those kind of schools, nor should we. What SHOULD happen is that UMC needs to be it's own entity. That will never happen either.

Cooterpoot
06-11-2019, 09:44 AM
Doesn’t really work that way. Kids in MS generally grow up a fan of the team their family pulls for. The rest are few and far between.

Johnson85
06-11-2019, 09:44 AM
MSU will not get those kind of schools, nor should we. What SHOULD happen is that UMC needs to be it's own entity. That will never happen either.

We do not have an excess of doctors in Mississippi. We can and should graduate more if there are residency spots for them.

If you are going to talk about how things should be structured, I'm not sure why UMC should be its own entity. If anything, it seems like we have way too many mostly independent colleges and universities and I think I'd rather the W get fully folded into MSU than UMC be set up as its own entity.

I know politics between alumni and also racial politics will keep us from organizing our public institutions of higher learning into a reasonable structure, but it seems like the W at the least could be folded into MSU.

RocketDawg
06-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Well the real definition of a school is the academic side. We are better there too.

What??? Academics is totally irrelevant. ***

gtowndawg
06-11-2019, 10:09 AM
I said this a few weeks ago in another thread but I'm telling you, there are State people everyone in the Memphis area now. I mean everywhere. I ran into someone yesterday I've not seen in 30 years (since I was in 10th grade). She had ZERO connection to State but of course guess where her kids go to school? You guessed it, State. It's to the point where I joke and say "who DOESN'T go to State?"

smootness
06-11-2019, 10:42 AM
Doesn’t really work that way. Kids in MS generally grow up a fan of the team their family pulls for. The rest are few and far between.

This is definitely true, but it can shift over time. If a kid from an OM family sees Dak, he may decide he actually likes State and decides to pull against his family. That kind of thing definitely happens.

MoreCowbell
06-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Doesn?t really work that way. Kids in MS generally grow up a fan of the team their family pulls for. The rest are few and far between.

My cousins grew up hard core state fans in North Mississippi because my family is huge State fans. Both graduated from Ole Miss in 2011(we sucked when they chose to go to Ole Miss). Our relationship has changed since then.

MoreCowbell
06-11-2019, 11:02 AM
This is definitely true, but it can shift over time. If a kid from an OM family sees Dak, he may decide he actually likes State and decides to pull against his family. That kind of thing definitely happens.

Exactly. My cousins were HUGE Eli fans

Dawg2003
06-11-2019, 11:06 AM
A guy I work with from FL has a kid going to State. He had no connections, but he moved here for a job 10 years ago. His kid became a huge State fan by watching our football team over the years. So now his kid wants to go to State.

Liverpooldawg
06-11-2019, 11:21 AM
We do not have an excess of doctors in Mississippi. We can and should graduate more if there are residency spots for them.

If you are going to talk about how things should be structured, I'm not sure why UMC should be its own entity. If anything, it seems like we have way too many mostly independent colleges and universities and I think I'd rather the W get fully folded into MSU than UMC be set up as its own entity.

I know politics between alumni and also racial politics will keep us from organizing our public institutions of higher learning into a reasonable structure, but it seems like the W at the least could be folded into MSU.

UMC educates graduates of all the Mississippi schools. It's mission is healthcare. It would work a LOT better if the Ole Miss administration would not interfere with things down there, which they have been known to do. It would remove a vital educational resource for the whole state from MSU vs UM politics. That last one would be worth doing it for all by itself.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Ho’s, Blow and Dough still go a long ways tho.....

msu15
06-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Ho’s, Blow and Dough still go a long ways tho.....

We have the pony ;)

Quaoarsking
06-11-2019, 12:00 PM
If we want to equalize Ole Miss's political advantage, we either need our own law school or to somehow divorce Ole Miss from its law school, make it a totally separate entity or whatever.

Did you know that there has never been a Mississippi State grad governor, and barely any members of Congress? We always have a huge disadvantage on state legislators too.