PDA

View Full Version : The Real Reason MSU is a Much Better Baseball Program than OM & Always Will be

ShotgunDawg
06-10-2019, 10:42 PM
Toughness.

It's not necessarily who either school chooses to recruit, but rather the type of kids that are attracted to each school.

If MSU & Ole Miss offer the same 10 high school baseball players, the tougher kids will be attracted to MSU & the softer kids will be attracted to Ole Miss. It's just the difference between our two universities. It's just reality. It's the same reason they typically out recruit us at skill position units in football & we do better on defense. It's not a criticism, it's just reality

It's that simple. They can change coaches & it won't change. We can change coaches (hell we have) it doesn't change.

In Bianco's rise in the 2000s MSU got lazy on the recruiting trail & let some "Bulldogs" (tougher kids) get to Ole Miss. Their best teams were built with kids that would choose to play at MSU 9 out of 10 times if recruited equally.

It's that simple & pretty well known. Ole Miss is known as the "Country Club" & MSU is known as the place where the Major Leaguers & baseball players come from.

Todd4State
06-10-2019, 10:54 PM
I was going to say culture but that's basically the same thing that you are saying.

I do think it goes beyond that some in that I believe we put more emphasis on it and I think Cohen is very good at knowing what kinds of things we need to do to be an elite program that we all want.

If we win a National Title he deserves a statue or something somewhere because he would be a BIG reason why we have one.

justwin
06-11-2019, 12:14 AM
This is good. Two thoughts:

Which category does ealy fall? Was him going to OM his price for the free ride to the inner city private school hosted by OM? I heard his family that lives out in the country was pro MSU.

Olenek, the star cf was sick vs us when we came into their house and swept them. I wondered then what event from Mother Nature would’ve caused Jake Mangum to miss a home series vs your rival that late in the season. Surely not the flu, et al. Of course, I’m sure olenek was either injured or suspended or some other reason he didn’t actually play.

shoeless joe
06-11-2019, 06:40 AM
This is good. Two thoughts:

Which category does ealy fall? Was him going to OM his price for the free ride to the inner city private school hosted by OM? I heard his family that lives out in the country was pro MSU.

Olenek, the star cf was sick vs us when we came into their house and swept them. I wondered then what event from Mother Nature would’ve caused Jake Mangum to miss a home series vs your rival that late in the season. Surely not the flu, et al. Of course, I’m sure olenek was either injured or suspended or some other reason he didn’t actually play.

Announcer in their game said he told MLB not to draft him cuz he was done with baseball after this season. If true that’s all you need to know.

Dawgology
06-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Announcer in their game said he told MLB not to draft him cuz he was done with baseball after this season. If true that’s all you need to know.

If that's true then we dodged a bullet because he is eaten up by his own hype. It never fails that Ole Miss attracts the big splash recruits and then woefully underperforms with "elite" talent. This is the cultural difference and comes down to what Shotgun was saying above. It takes more than a pretty recruiting profile, bow ties, and a chandelier in your tailgate tent to succeed in football...or any sport for that matter.

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2019, 07:23 AM
I'm gonna disagree a bit. Toughness plays a part. I think what plays a bigger part is the "short cut" culture of the entire institution. They don't believe in building a solid foundation, they want flash and instant results. Baseball's #1 class has about as much glory as football's #1 class (which wasn't number 1 but they claim it). Because everything is just supposed to instantly get better, they don't work, they don't improve, they don't advance. They bring in talent - but talent only gets you so far if you don't continue improving upon your skills. They put all their energy into the wrong things. But, hey, they never lose a party....

timotheus
06-11-2019, 07:48 AM
I agree with this entire conversation, guys. The one thing that I have noticed as far as baseball recruiting goes is that MSU has always sought out the "single player from a small school" type player. Woodruff, Renfroe, Dakota Hudson, Small and etc. The out of state players who Bianco signs are all guys who play with certain summer programs in their respected states. In other words, Bianco relies on others to recommend recruits to him and he doesn't do the leg work himself thus I feel as if these ole miss players are just numbers plugged into a system simply to fit a narrative.

Jack Lambert
06-11-2019, 08:25 AM
I think its the fan base. We want it, we love because it has been our sport for 40 years. Ole Miss is really still living in the 60's with football thinking they can still be that program. They only want baseball because it's our thing. Mean while we have surpassed them in all other sports. It's plain and simple, they are losers and we are not.

basedog
06-11-2019, 08:38 AM
I think its the fan base. We want it, we love because it has been our sport for 40 years. Ole Miss is really still living in the 60's with football thinking they can still be that program. They only want baseball because it's our thing. Mean while we have surpassed them in all other sports. It's plain and simple, they are losers and we are not.

Yes to our fan base, but as a 1973 Msu graduate, lot more years of caring about baseball than 40 years. when I was in school I've seen crowds over 9K. Left field lounge was founded by my classmates. Yes I drank ripple wine and Jax beer back then in the outfield. Tough fans indeed!

UMCDawg16
06-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Toughness.

It's not necessarily who either school chooses to recruit, but rather the type of kids that are attracted to each school.

If MSU & Ole Miss offer the same 10 high school baseball players, the tougher kids will be attracted to MSU & the softer kids will be attracted to Ole Miss. It's just the difference between our two universities. It's just reality. It's the same reason they typically out recruit us at skill position units in football & we do better on defense. It's not a criticism, it's just reality

It's that simple. They can change coaches & it won't change. We can change coaches (hell we have) it doesn't change.

In Bianco's rise in the 2000s MSU got lazy on the recruiting trail & let some "Bulldogs" (tougher kids) get to Ole Miss. Their best teams were built with kids that would choose to play at MSU 9 out of 10 times if recruited equally.

It's that simple & pretty well known. Ole Miss is known as the "Country Club" & MSU is known as the place where the Major Leaguers & baseball players come from.

This may be your best post yet on this board.

shoeless joe
06-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Other than kessinger I wouldn’t want a single player from their team. They’ve got some talent but, to the point of the thread, they’re not our kinda guys.

And I’ve said before but I’ll say again, their players and especially pitchers look and talk like a stereotypical ole miss douche

msstate7
06-11-2019, 09:29 AM
What is the mlb count for both? Isn't it 6-5 our lead?

ShotgunDawg
06-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Depends on how you count it

Do you count currently active players or guys that have played in the big leagues over the past 2 years?

msstate7
06-11-2019, 10:33 AM
Depends on how you count it

Do you count currently active players or guys that have played in the big leagues over the past 2 years?

I was just wondering on active players/IL. Pretty site we've recently (last year or 2) passed them

shoeless joe
06-11-2019, 11:12 AM

I don’t think that plays to the point of it all tho. It’s not the elite big leaguers that separate us, it’s the tough gritty guys that max out as really good college players. Guys that jump out to me that fit into this category are MacNamee, pyrtle, Ogden, vickerson, brooks bryan, berkery, Patton, and if I spent some time I could think of others as well

Gutter Cobreh
06-11-2019, 11:21 AM
I don't even consider them a rival at this point. Please provide me a sport where they are competitive with us; women's softball????

I'd prefer to look through the windshield for programs we're evenly matched up with versus in the rear view at programs like Ole Miss. How many beat downs in various sports do we have to give them before we simply treat them like USM. Their headed towards CUSA teams being their only potential rivals at this point.

msudawglb
06-11-2019, 11:36 AM
We expect to win. They hope to win. That's not just our players, but our fans. Do you really think that the MSU fans would ever throw beer when we hit a homerun? No, we just fill the air with grill smoke while we expect to win and cheer.

Iron sharpens Iron. That's MSU.

Ole Miss is more like the string from a tampon.

bigplayslay
06-11-2019, 12:52 PM
I don't even consider them a rival at this point. Please provide me a sport where they are competitive with us; women's softball????

I'd prefer to look through the windshield for programs we're evenly matched up with versus in the rear view at programs like Ole Miss. How many beat downs in various sports do we have to give them before we simply treat them like USM. Their headed towards CUSA teams being their only potential rivals at this point.

Not trying to be that guy because our run right now overall has been dominant. While I agree with you for the most part, basketball the last several years they have been very competitive.

BiscuitEater
06-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Olenek, the star cf was sick vs us when we came into their house and swept them.

Dude has been craptastic since his return. OM 'fans' been riding him hard for weeks and didn't want him playing at the end of the regular season.

Gutter Cobreh
06-11-2019, 01:18 PM
Not trying to be that guy because our run right now overall has been dominant. While I agree with you fo the most part, basketball the last several years they have been very competitive.

I know. My post was more to the point that we don't concern ourselves with any other in-state program, so why should we even care about them at this point? While our run has been good and sports are cyclical, they're a dumpster fire that will take them years to be relevant again in regards to their entire athletic program.

The quicker we, as fans, stop treating them like they're still on our level - the better off we'll be. Yes, laugh when they make stupid decisions or relish in their demise. I just wish there was another sub-forum outside of the main one to discuss Ole Miss related shenanigans, but that's probably just me so I should let it go.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-11-2019, 01:28 PM
Toughness.

Yes!! and tough guys don't eat boogers!!!

BuckyIsAB****
06-11-2019, 06:53 PM
A great example of them that I watched this year was Dillard the LF. He did the same thing all year at the plate and in the OF. He was trying to hit a HR every time, its either a HR or a K. In the OF he was lazy, he routinely took forever to get the balls in and for whatever reason he was allowed to steal bases at will despite getting thrown out at a near record pace.

They are booger eaters

Todd4State
06-11-2019, 07:05 PM
A great example of them that I watched this year was Dillard the LF. He did the same thing all year at the plate and in the OF. He was trying to hit a HR every time, its either a HR or a K. In the OF he was lazy, he routinely took forever to get the balls in and for whatever reason he was allowed to steal bases at will despite getting thrown out at a near record pace.

They are booger eaters

Some of that is him not having a position. Some of that is being related to Steve Dillard who is an Ole Miss baseball legend.

BuckyIsAB****
06-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Some of that is him not having a position. Some of that is being related to Steve Dillard who is an Ole Miss baseball legend.

If it was me, and Im no Ron Polk but if I had a guy that liked to hit HRs but couldnt field and was slow I'd put him at DH. I def wouldnt allow him to do whatever the hell he wanted to do all year long

BrunswickDawg
06-11-2019, 07:36 PM
If it was me, and Im no Ron Polk but if I had a guy that liked to hit HRs but couldnt field and was slow I'd put him at DH. I def wouldnt allow him to do whatever the hell he wanted to do all year long

A talented player who gets to do whatever he wants while underachieving. You, sir, just defined the Ole Miss way.

Todd4State
06-11-2019, 07:44 PM

It's not that simple because being a DH only guy hurts his draft stock. And that could cause Bianco even more problems potentially with a much more influential source than their jackwagon fans that want to fire him after every loss but don't really matter.

But yes- this is part of their problem with their culture but that aspect may change some with Dillard and Kessinger moving on. Although Kessinger is a very good player and does things the right way.

BuckyIsAB****
06-11-2019, 08:33 PM
It's not that simple because being a DH only guy hurts his draft stock. And that could cause Bianco even more problems potentially with a much more influential source than their jackwagon fans that want to fire him after every loss but don't really matter.

But yes- this is part of their problem with their culture but that aspect may change some with Dillard and Kessinger moving on. Although Kessinger is a very good player and does things the right way.

I think one of OM's biggest problems is the power that the older crowd still has in the athletic dept. I am in no way involved with them nor do I ever want to be but it just looks to me like the 60+ money crowd in Oxford still live in a bubble and it drags them down

Todd4State
06-11-2019, 10:49 PM
I think one of OM's biggest problems is the power that the older crowd still has in the athletic dept. I am in no way involved with them nor do I ever want to be but it just looks to me like the 60+ money crowd in Oxford still live in a bubble and it drags them down

I get the impression that it's more that way with football than it is with baseball. Their team the past three years has been unique in that Kessinger and Dillard are two of the biggest names in their programs history. It would be like us having Clark and Palmeiro having their kids on the team at the same time basically. That was part of the reason for their hype the past three years in the postseason and why the "experts" overrated their recruiting class three years ago. It's more about nostalgia than it is absolute substance for this particular group.

Once this group leaves things will be more "normal" for them as far as off the field stuff.

BiscuitEater
06-12-2019, 12:37 PM
Some of that is being related to Steve Dillard who is an Ole Miss baseball legend.

Was Dillard part of the 70's era team that cheated their way to Omaha by using swimming scholarships on baseball players?

codeDawg
06-12-2019, 02:58 PM

This is 100% their problem. They have a generation of financially comfortable people who think they are amongst the country's wealthy elite and can do whatever they want. They get 'yes' men at every position in the athletic department and coaching staff who had better do what Mr. Cashloafers says. Anybody who dares to challenge them can screw themselves or they will file suit. You see how far that gets them in a world that is passing them by very quickly.

BuckyIsAB****
06-12-2019, 07:13 PM
This is 100% their problem. They have a generation of financially comfortable people who think they are amongst the country's wealthy elite and can do whatever they want. They get 'yes' men at every position in the athletic department and coaching staff who had better do what Mr. Cashloafers says. Anybody who dares to challenge them can screw themselves or they will file suit. You see how far that gets them in a world that is passing them by very quickly.

I can count the number of times I have been to Oxford in my life on one hand, but they just have a sense of undeserved superiority about the place. I will give them this, they have one of the best IPF's in the SEC. Other than that, they are behind us in my opinion.

Goldendawg
06-12-2019, 07:21 PM

They are booger eaters

Couple of guys on Nafoom said the same thing about his lack of speed, defense, and that he needed to be put at DH.

Spiderman
06-12-2019, 10:08 PM
The main difference in our 2 programs is that State wouldn't keep, nor should we, a coach that made Omaha once in 19 years.

That's all you need to know about the 2 programs.

Todd4State
06-12-2019, 10:17 PM
Was Dillard part of the 70's era team that cheated their way to Omaha by using swimming scholarships on baseball players?

Based on my research that would be accurate.

Todd4State
06-12-2019, 10:20 PM
The main difference in our 2 programs is that State wouldn't keep, nor should we, a coach that made Omaha once in 19 years.

That's all you need to know about the 2 programs.

Well, the difference is Bianco was hired to just make it to Omaha. And he has. Which is why he should and will be there as long as he wants as long as he is having winning seasons. We don't hire coaches to "just make it to Omaha."

Their fans have forgotten what they were in the 1980's-1990's. Which is a credit to Bianco. Of course it appears as if at some point he is going to get killed by the monster he created. And it may be that the monster may have the same fate as Frankenstein as well.

And while their current group didn't meet their expectations from when they were recruits- they did accomplish some things. They won the SEC West and SEC Tournament last year and were a National Seed and have hosted regionals two years in a row. And had to have a furious comeback to host this year. Of course, that pales in comparison to what we have done the past three years. Which is also part of their "problem".

Todd4State
06-12-2019, 10:29 PM

I also think in baseball we have more baseball savvy people like Cohen around. We may not like what LSU, Florida, and Vanderbilt have accomplished as MSU fans and people- but we are also able to critically look at what they have done and have attempted to find ways to do some of those things within reason. That's how you end up with a stadium like ours instead of burying our heads in the sand and getting completely passed by. And how we end up with players like JT Ginn. Hopefully more like that to come in the future.

Ari Gold
06-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Culture is the biggest problem there.. it’s relevant to everything sports, fans, administration ect..
I hope they never figure that out and change it..
they still can’t get out of their own way..

Keep up the good work Rebel nation.. never change

basedog
06-13-2019, 08:15 AM

That Use to be Reb team was loaded. Norris Weese who played Qb and also CF were very talented. I remember as a student seating in the newly created LFL drinking and giving Weese and others hell. It was around 9K at the Saturday night game. Lights were installed that year from a $100k donation, fight broke out withe a car load of OM football players.
We were loaded as well in baseball that year.