PDA

View Full Version : So what's the deal with Tanner Burns?

smootness
06-10-2019, 05:20 PM
Is he battling some kind of injury? Evidently the plan was to not use him in the SR at all, and even though they made the change, the plan was never for him to pitch more than 1-2 innings. This despite the fact that he hadn't started since 6/1 against Tech in the regional and only threw 58 pitches in that one. Has now thrown fewer than 60 pitches in 4 of his last 5 starts.

So it looks like he left after 2.1 IP against Vandy, then didn't pitch at all against Bama. Then threw Saturday against UGA (97 pitches)...then 57 pitches Sunday against LSU, did not pitch in the SEC Tournament, 58 pitches in game 2 of the regional, then wasn't planning to pitch at all in the SR and only ended up throwing 26 pitches.

So I assume he's been battling injury. This obviously bodes well for us. I feel very confident against Auburn either way, but if Burns can't go or is limited, it's hard to see them beating Small.

AlSwearengen
06-10-2019, 05:47 PM
He didn’t pitch against us because of arm issues when they came to Starkville early in the year. It seems like all of the SEC’s top young arms have had issues this year. I know Burns, the kid from ga, Henry from lsu, and JT have all missed time.

No BS Dawg
06-10-2019, 05:58 PM
I believe I heard the announcers say he was pulled today due to shoulder soreness. Again, I think that's what I heard. If so, him being available for long, if at all next Sunday, is very suspect.

msstate7
06-10-2019, 06:20 PM
I believe I heard the announcers say he was pulled today due to shoulder soreness. Again, I think that's what I heard. If so, him being available for long, if at all next Sunday, is very suspect.

As a fan of baseball, it makes me sick seeing pitchers the level of ginn and burns dealing with shoulder issues. That's gotta be scary for them

AlSwearengen
06-10-2019, 07:08 PM
As a fan of baseball, it makes me sick seeing pitchers the level of ginn and burns dealing with shoulder issues. That's gotta be scary for them

From listening to everyone talk, JT’s issues aren’t near as worrisome as Burns and Henry. Both times that JT has been shelved, he wanted to keep pitching.

It is plainly obvious that the current coaching staff does not want to be in a position where they have to answer for arm issues with pitchers. Small’s limit is generally 100 and JT’s was around 80-85 pre-soreness. Small had a no hitter going against A&M and came out in the 7th inning.

We need to use this cautiousness with pitchers in recruiting because not many programs can offer up proof that they will protect the pitcher’s arm the way we do.

ZedFedder
06-10-2019, 07:21 PM
He didn’t pitch against us because of arm issues when they came to Starkville early in the year. It seems like all of the SEC’s top young arms have had issues this year. I know Burns, the kid from ga, Henry from lsu, and JT have all missed time.

He did pitch against us. We put a 4 spot on him in the first. I think you are thinking of Emerson Hancock.

smootness
06-10-2019, 07:23 PM

Burns did pitch against us, Jack Owen is the one who didn't.

Owen was out for our series and the next 3 after that, then handled with kid gloves when he came back. He has just recently gotten back up to a normal load, but he hasn't been nearly as effective for the most part.

My guess is they'll throw Owen against us since he pitched game 1 of the SR and Burns probably won't be fully available. Owen has been really good at times, but I'm not as worried about him.

monroedawg5646
06-10-2019, 07:24 PM
Leno said in the post game last night that Ginn was available for game 3 and that he felt much better. He also said that he would most likely do a bull pen today. He said the issue with Ginn was a muscle strain.

AlSwearengen
06-10-2019, 09:30 PM
He did pitch against us. We put a 4 spot on him in the first. I think you are thinking of Emerson Hancock.

My bad. It was the number 2 guy that didn’t pitch, who was committed to us at one time.