PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk our hitting?

BeastMan
06-10-2019, 08:18 AM
I?d like to know from you baseball guys how much of the hitting improvement is our guys getting experienced, how much is Gautreau, and how much is Lemonis? It was just incredible watching us get to every drafted pitcher we?ve faced since regionals. Even if they have really good stuff we make adjustments and come back for that ass.

At this point I don?t feel like there is a staff we can?t get to, Vandy included. Rocker?s no-hitter Duke never adjusted and whiffed at sliders all night long. I don?t think we?d do that.

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2019, 08:29 AM
The answer is "all of the above". Players have put in work - both in the offseason and in-season - to work thru issues and get better. Gautreau is a known guru, and has been able to connect to the guys and instill a level of trust with what he teaches. He also doesn't seem to monkey with swings, he is more about situational approaches - which I think is big. Lemonis is responsible for accountability. Ultimately its his job to get guys to buy in to his program and approach, make sure they are doing the work, and putting his guys in the best position to be successful. He has done all of that. I think you also have to factor in the addition of state of the art hitting facilities and tech available to teach these guys with MLB equivalent tools. Not everyone gets to do that.

Collectively, this team has come together in a way that rarely happens. And when it does it creates champions.

Cooterpoot
06-10-2019, 08:33 AM
Lemonis really doesn’t do much with our hitters.

MetEdDawg
06-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Yeah this is a lot of Gautreau and experience. Now Lemonis may have a different approach to situational hitting in terms of things he wants the players to do with 2 strikes, on the first pitch, bunting, down 0-2, etc. But for the most part it's Gautreau and experience.

Managers nowadays are more button pushers, recruiters, and attitude setters. Lemonis hired Cheese and that was a phenomenal move. Retained Gautreau and that was huge. Foxhall added was extremely smart. Lemonis has pushed the right buttons and made the right hires. If he continues to do that this program will be in very good shape.

TNDawg35
06-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Lemonis said in an interview that he is an offensive guy, but has given Gautreau full reigns of the offense.

gravedigger
06-10-2019, 09:32 AM
The answer is "all of the above". Players have put in work - both in the offseason and in-season - to work thru issues and get better. Gautreau is a known guru, and has been able to connect to the guys and instill a level of trust with what he teaches. He also doesn't seem to monkey with swings, he is more about situational approaches - which I think is big. Lemonis is responsible for accountability. Ultimately its his job to get guys to buy in to his program and approach, make sure they are doing the work, and putting his guys in the best position to be successful. He has done all of that. I think you also have to factor in the addition of state of the art hitting facilities and tech available to teach these guys with MLB equivalent tools. Not everyone gets to do that.

Collectively, this team has come together in a way that rarely happens. And when it does it creates champions.

Great answer and what is tough for us non sport people to get. A successful athletics team is the sum of all its parts plus good synergy. Any team that success is tied to one overriding factor is vulnerable. Our hitting is strong due to coaching, leadership, talent, stadium atmosphere, confidence and probably many other things.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2019, 09:45 AM
I?d like to know from you baseball guys how much of the hitting improvement is our guys getting experienced, how much is Gautreau, and how much is Lemonis? It was just incredible watching us get to every drafted pitcher we?ve faced since regionals. Even if they have really good stuff we make adjustments and come back for that ass.

At this point I don?t feel like there is a staff we can?t get to, Vandy included. Rocker?s no-hitter Duke never adjusted and whiffed at sliders all night long. I don?t think we?d do that.

It has been extremely impressive. In the 8th inning last night I said to a buddy of mine, "I think Macnamee would be the only one lacking confidence at the plate heading into Omaha at this point.....think about that. 8 of our starting 9 are hitting pretty well right now".....and then Mac hits a freaking moonbeam in the 9th! I would be terrified to face this lineup if I was a pitcher right now. And think about this....some say Landon Jordan and Hayden Jones are two of the higher ceiling hitters on this team, but just lack experience. We are raking and have guys like those two, Hancock, Cumbest, etc on the bench! If we are loading up with arms, we could see last nights scene again soon in Starkville

Commercecomet24
06-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Lemonis really doesn’t do much with our hitters.

Yeah he's said as much. He lets Jake handle the hitters. I love the way lemonis runs things. He lets his coaches coach.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2019, 09:56 AM
Yeah he's said as much. He lets Jake handle the hitters. I love the way lemonis runs things. He lets his coaches coach.

Glad he's not an ego guy that wants to say he does it all. Truth is, a great coach is a guy that surrounds himself with good people and let's them do their job while advising when needed. I have more respect for Lemonis as a coach for handling it the way he is, than I would if he was super involved with one aspect of the team.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Glad he's not an ego guy that wants to say he does it all. Truth is, a great coach is a guy that surrounds himself with good people and let's them do their job while advising when needed. I have more respect for Lemonis as a coach for handling it the way he is, than I would if he was super involved with one aspect of the team.

Bingo!

RougeDawg
06-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Posted a couple months ago that we needed to lock Gautreau up for a while or win it all in the time he?s here. He will be a head coach one day. Probably sooner than later. The guy tweaks his technique to each player?s swing, strengths and weaknesses. He does not try to use one or two molds. That is what separates the great hitting coaches. Small adjustments to each guy. Sometimes a small adjustment results in huge results. That?s what we are seeing.

BuckyIsAB****
06-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Does anyone have our home/road splits on offense? I believe we have hit it a lot better at home but maybe Im wrong

Commercecomet24
06-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Posted a couple months ago that we needed to lock Gautreau up for a while or win it all in the time he?s here. He will be a head coach one day. Probably sooner than later. The guy tweaks his technique to each player?s swing, strengths and weaknesses. He does not try to use one or two molds. That is what separates the great hitting coaches. Small adjustments to each guy. Sometimes a small adjustment results in huge results. That?s what we are seeing.

Exactly! Coaches who try to cookie cutter every hitter to be the same fail miserably. Jake's a great one!

RougeDawg
06-10-2019, 11:16 AM

On top of that, I have not seen him ever looked rattled. He rarely gets pissed at umpires. Even when he argues he looks calm and under control. The team feeds off of this calmness. As opposed to whiny Manuri bouncing out of the dugout crying almost every game.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2019, 11:18 AM
On top of that, I have not seen him ever looked rattled. He rarely gets pissed at umpires. Even when he argues he looks calm and under control. The team feeds off of this calmness. As opposed to whiny Manuri bouncing out of the dugout crying almost every game.

Exactly. And your right the guys feed off that, it's why we grind at bats like we do, because we don't freak out if the first time through the order we don't do anything. We don't panic and we stay with our approach.

BeastMan
06-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Does anyone have our home/road splits on offense? I believe we have hit it a lot better at home but maybe Im wrong

Announcers said it’s better at home but nothing crazy. We’re good on the road too

shoeless joe
06-10-2019, 11:39 AM

We didn?t adjust to fellows slider in SEC tourney

Our guys know their strengths and we play to this extremely well at the plate. Gotro and lemon is getting our guys to buy into that says a lot about them.

shoeless joe
06-10-2019, 11:49 AM
It has been extremely impressive. In the 8th inning last night I said to a buddy of mine, "I think Macnamee would be the only one lacking confidence at the plate heading into Omaha at this point.....think about that. 8 of our starting 9 are hitting pretty well right now".....and then Mac hits a freaking moonbeam in the 9th! I would be terrified to face this lineup if I was a pitcher right now. And think about this....some say Landon Jordan and Hayden Jones are two of the higher ceiling hitters on this team, but just lack experience. We are raking and have guys like those two, Hancock, Cumbest, etc on the bench! If we are loading up with arms, we could see last nights scene again soon in Starkville

Mac has been showing signs lately. He’s driven a couple balls the other way which he does when he’s going rite. Hopefully it carries over to next week v

KOdawg1
06-10-2019, 11:54 AM
I think the most exciting display of hitting this weekend was Jordan freaking Westburg. He smoked the ball hard multiple times and only struck out once I believe.

Lord McBuckethead
06-10-2019, 12:41 PM
Jordan did certainly hit the ball hard all weekend. A lot of them went directly to a defender, but he did put the barrel on it. Those will fall. Keep it up Westy.

BuckyIsAB****
06-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Jordan did certainly hit the ball hard all weekend. A lot of them went directly to a defender, but he did put the barrel on it. Those will fall. Keep it up Westy.

He has improved tremendously on defense as well

BuckyIsAB****
06-10-2019, 01:05 PM
Announcers said it’s better at home but nothing crazy. We’re good on the road too

We hit it well at ole miss, hit it ok at UT and A&M, bad at Arky and well at UF. There wasnt anyone we didnt hit well against at home