PDA

View Full Version : Time to Win the Whole 17ing Thing

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2019, 11:23 PM
Some thoughts:

- Give it up to John Cohen. We/me complained, but he found the right guy. Lemon is here to stay. He's the real deal. His recruiting will obviously decide things long term, but he recruited well at Indiana & I think pretty much anyone could recruit to MSU right now to play baseball. We found our long term answer.

- This is the most well rounded team MSU has sent to Omaha in my life time. Some other teams had greater MLB prospects, but they all had weaknesses. Other than an iffy defender at 3B, I'm not sure where the weakness is.

- Give it up to Plumlee. His ascension has taken this team from really good to a team that can be great & win the natty. The difference? This team can take the line drive off Gene Morgan's ankle & still win the damn game. They are just deeper.

- Unreal scene tonight with Mangum & Mac's last ABs at Dudy Noble. That's our program though. Dudy Noble is where special things happen & our program is special.

- Lastly, this team hasn't wasted any luck or emotion yet. We are primed to make a run in Omaha.

- This the most experienced team in America. We've been to Omaha, won the SEC, & been through everything. Our team is full of hardened veterans ready to take home the title.

Will we win it all? I don't know because it will take some luck, but this is the best chance we've ever had going into Omaha.

Let's do this. For goodness sakes it's time.

AlSwearengen
06-09-2019, 11:38 PM
I’m not going to get ahead of myself, but that last inning with Jake, Mac, and Cole makes me wonder if this is part of a perfect story.

Scared_Hitless
06-09-2019, 11:41 PM
Vandy or us and I am not betting against this team. Lets 17ing do it

WinningIsRelentless
06-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Could workout perfect getting Kumar in Omaha after throwing 139 pitches last outing

chef dixon
06-09-2019, 11:48 PM
I?d rather have Vandy in the foursome round then play them in a 3 game series

Gutter Cobreh
06-10-2019, 12:03 AM
If we can continue to show patience at the plate, we're primed to make history.

That's literally the only thing that comes to mind when nitpicking this team.

Todd4State
06-10-2019, 12:17 AM

It has been better in the postseason SO FAR.

Todd4State
06-10-2019, 12:18 AM
Great post Shotgun. One barometer on how far our program has come- the fans didn't storm the field when we made the last out. We expect Omaha and expect to do well.

Gutter Cobreh
06-10-2019, 12:28 AM
It has been better in the postseason SO FAR.

Agreed. We've also played only at home since it truly reared its head during the SEC tourney, so that first game in Omaha will give us a better idea. I have no data or expertise to back this up, but Macnamee being back in the line-up also seems to help provide balance and patience to everyone else in the line-up.

I don't want to diminish this team or what they've accomplished thus far, as they're as complete of a team as you'll find. It has been an awesome season and I've enjoyed watching these guys play since the first game of the season. This season feels special...

Todd4State
06-10-2019, 12:32 AM
Agreed. We've also played only at home since it truly reared its head during the SEC tourney, so that first game in Omaha will give us a better idea. I have no data or expertise to back this up, but Macnamee being back in the line-up also seems to help provide balance and patience to everyone else in the line-up.

I don't want to diminish this team or what they've accomplished thus far, as they're as complete of a team as you'll find. It has been an awesome season and I've enjoyed watching these guys play since the first game of the season. This season feels special...

The SEC Tournament is a such a bullshit tournament. I think we had a rivalry game with a lot of emotion that took us 17 innings to win and we were pretty much spent. And if I recall the umpire in that first game with LSU was calling pretty much anything that broke a strike. And I think that got us into a funk for a short time until we could regroup.

DancingRabbit
06-10-2019, 12:40 AM

Seems like we're primed all right. I don't think any team wants to play us. We've got pitching and we've got offense. Defense is a plus too, even with a couple of early errors we showed up when it mattered.

Gutter Cobreh
06-10-2019, 12:46 AM
Seems like we're primed all right. I don't think any team wants to play us. We've got pitching and we've got offense. Defense is a plus too, even with a couple of early errors we showed up when it mattered.

I agree. The back half of the line-up has been straight fire, with the top half starting to click again.

Ginn getting rest is another huge plus. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Small, Plumlee, Ginn (in that order) rotation in Omaha.

SmokeyDawg
06-10-2019, 12:56 AM
Our guys are focused and ready. We just need the backing. Make your plane

Homedawg
06-10-2019, 01:00 AM
I think we should give some to Cohen, he has his hands ALL over this team. He and his staff recruited the lions share of them. Now, w that said lemonis Andy staff have done a hell of a job. Wouldn't trade our staff for anyone's. Not one.

DancingRabbit
06-10-2019, 01:09 AM
I think we should give some to Cohen, he has his hands ALL over this team. He and his staff recruited the lions share of them. Now, w that said lemonis Andy staff have done a hell of a job. Wouldn't trade our staff for anyone's. Not one.

God bless John Cohen.

BuckyIsAB****
06-10-2019, 01:57 AM
A few things: When Westburg made that play where he sold out and makes the throw to first is what sealed it for me. That kid doesnt make that play earlier this season.

I think the return of MacNamee has helped this bunch get back to who they are. Jake is Jake. What a blessing to have been able to watch Dak Prescott and Jake Mangum start and finish their careers in Maroon and White. Probably the two most influential athletes that we have ever had suit up for this university.

Dustin Skelton is the most underrated player in college baseball. He has made the biggest jump from what he was a year ago to now that I possibly have ever seen. From all accounts he is also one of the biggest leaders on the team.

We have found solid reliable bullpen arms in Liebelt, White and Gordon. The ones behind them (Self, Smith, Barlow etc.) there are other teams in Omaha that would love to have them.

The 9th inning was one of the most special moments in the history of MSU athletics and something this lifelong Dawg will never ever forget. I had some reservations about the New Dude to begin the year. I didnt like getting rid of all the old rigs in the OF and I wasnt a big fan of all the standing room but boys let me tell you. If you havent been, load up your family and go. Go as much as you can. It is truly a unique and magical place.

Most importantly, if you are in a position to have any kind of impact on some one else's life I would encourage you to point out this particular MSU baseball team to them. This team has had every reason to quit since last year and they never did. They came up short against a juggernaut and promised they would be back. They are now back right where they said they would be. This is the best baseball team in the history of this school. I dont care what 85 did, I dont care what 13, 89, or 16 did. I wouldnt trade this group for the 39 Yankees. It is time to get a ring. This is a group that can and deserves to do it.

MarketingBully
06-10-2019, 06:24 AM
Kumar vs JT to go 2-0 in Omaha? Sign me up. With the amount of rest JT will have, I’d have our rotation go Small, Ginn, Plumlee, Small, Ginn, And there’s your natty. :) 56-13 and that’s our first national championship folks.

AlSwearengen
06-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Kumar vs JT to go 2-0 in Omaha? Sign me up. With the amount of rest JT will have, I’d have our rotation go Small, Ginn, Plumlee, Small, Ginn, And there’s your natty. :) 56-13 and that’s our first national championship folks.

The way Plumlee is pitching, if Ginn could get back to his early season form, we have 3 legit aces.

smootness
06-10-2019, 09:54 AM
Great post Shotgun. One barometer on how far our program has come- the fans didn't storm the field when we made the last out. We expect Omaha and expect to do well.

Have our fans, or really any baseball fans, ever stormed the field?

gtowndawg
06-10-2019, 09:58 AM
I’m not going to get ahead of myself, but that last inning with Jake, Mac, and Cole makes me wonder if this is part of a perfect story.

Thought the same thing....

Commercecomet24
06-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Great post Gun! I agree completely!

Todd4State
06-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Have our fans, or really any baseball fans, ever stormed the field?

Absolutely. I was there for some of them. Baseball SR 2007, and regionals in 1990, 1997, and 2000 come to mind immediately off the top of my head. And that's just baseball.

smootness
06-10-2019, 10:56 AM
Absolutely. I was there for some of them. Baseball SR 2007, and regionals in 1990, 1997, and 2000 come to mind immediately off the top of my head. And that's just baseball.

Wow, did not realize that. Obviously fans storm in football constantly and they do in basketball every once in a while. But something about it happening in baseball seems over the top. Glad we don't do it anymore.

Jack Lambert
06-10-2019, 11:09 AM
Jesus can hit a curve ball.

R2Dawg
06-10-2019, 12:49 PM
30 for 30 coming soon. We are magic. Jake, Mac, Small, and company. We erased the Miami ghost on the way to CWS too.