PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an update from the Stanford board?

MetEdDawg
06-09-2019, 12:05 PM
Would be extremely interested to know how they felt after yesterday, especially with some of their asinine comments about how we won't have much of a home field advantage and how well their team plays on the road.

Would love to know the perspective of some actual Stanford fans that were there

CadaverDawg
06-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Apparently the humidity didn't help their ball flight.

WinningIsRelentless
06-09-2019, 12:25 PM
You could tell it sure took a toll on the starting pitcher.

MetEdDawg
06-09-2019, 12:59 PM

I had completely forgotten about that statement. I'm so glad you reminded me of that so I can laugh even more at them. The humidity analysis and the not much of a home field advantage at Dudy Noble have to be right up there with two of the most idiotic statements we've seen by other fan bases.

RougeDawg
06-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Wait. Someone actually said humidity would aid the flight of a baseball? Physically that makes zero sense.

LC Dawg
06-09-2019, 01:24 PM
As far as home field advantage I'm not saying Mangum doesn't make that catch somewhere else but knowing the park and the wall damn sure didn't hurt.

starkvegasdawg
06-09-2019, 01:30 PM
They've had a change of heart about playing here:

Not taking anything away from MSU but this home field advantage is definitely worth several runs. Our players are rattled and this game is quickly getting away from us. Already 6-1 and still in the 4th.

This is why getting one of the top 8 seeds was so critic

gravedigger
06-09-2019, 01:35 PM

The beads of sweat on the starting pitcher seemed to indicate that the humidity played a significant role though.

Jack Lambert
06-09-2019, 02:28 PM
I don't care what any of them same. Playing in front of 2000K fans who do not really have a passion for baseball is nothing like playing in front 14K who do. That has to take a toll on these none SEC schools that come into the five big stadiums in the SEC. LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, SC and Miss State, those have to be the toughest places to play a college baseball game in in the NCAA. Also in a few years you will be able to add Florida to that list.

Todd4State
06-09-2019, 02:31 PM
They've had a change of heart about playing here:

Not taking anything away from MSU but this home field advantage is definitely worth several runs. Our players are rattled and this game is quickly getting away from us. Already 6-1 and still in the 4th.

This is why getting one of the top 8 seeds was so critic

Our home field advantage plays up moreso in a Super Regional or regional against teams that aren't used to an environment like ours. So it doesn't matter as much is SEC play but it pays off in the postseason.

RocketDawg
06-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Wait. Someone actually said humidity would aid the flight of a baseball? Physically that makes zero sense.

Maybe not: https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2017/03/14/how-much-temperature-humidity-affect-how-far-golf-ball-flies-103715/

I can't verify their analysis, but apparently somebody put a little work into the issue. Of course, this is for a golf ball, but the same would apply to a baseball.

RocketDawg
06-09-2019, 03:40 PM
The beads of sweat on the starting pitcher seemed to indicate that the humidity played a significant role though.

Humidity makes me sweat too, and I've lived in this part of the country all my life. You don't ever really become aclimated to it, but you learn to deal with it.

I don't know where last night's Stanford pitcher is from, but I do know the air in Palo Alto is a lot drier than it is here, on average. It's also generally a lot cooler. Mississippi weather no doubt affects their stamina since they're not used to it.

MetEdDawg
06-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Maybe not: https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2017/03/14/how-much-temperature-humidity-affect-how-far-golf-ball-flies-103715/

I can't verify their analysis, but apparently somebody put a little work into the issue. Of course, this is for a golf ball, but the same would apply to a baseball.

They are correct actually. I teach chemistry and have my meteorology degree from MSU. When the air is more humid, water molecules take up some of the space oxygen and nitrogen do and water weighs less than nitrogen and oxygen molecules (which are diatomics by themselves so two are bonded together). Feels heavier on us because of the water molecules ability to condense on us (which oxygen and nitrogen can't do under normal conditions on earth).

Also when air is cold it's harder for the ball to fly through because those oxygen and nitrogen molecule are more tightly packed making it more dense than warm air.

So there you go. There's your science lesson for the day. Carry on.

parabrave
06-09-2019, 11:45 PM
Would be extremely interested to know how they felt after yesterday, especially with some of their asinine comments about how we won't have much of a home field advantage and how well their team plays on the road.

Would love to know the perspective of some actual Stanford fans that were there

They're too busy developing the next gen cell phones or teleporter devices.

The Federalist Engineer
06-09-2019, 11:55 PM
They are correct actually. I teach chemistry and have my meteorology degree from MSU. When the air is more humid, water molecules take up some of the space oxygen and nitrogen do and water weighs less than nitrogen and oxygen molecules (which are diatomics by themselves so two are bonded together). Feels heavier on us because of the water molecules ability to condense on us (which oxygen and nitrogen can't do under normal conditions on earth).

Also when air is cold it's harder for the ball to fly through because those oxygen and nitrogen molecule are more tightly packed making it more dense than warm air.

So there you go. There's your science lesson for the day. Carry on.

Cold weather baseball takes away about 8 ft of distance, MLB research that I cannot locate. Thats just temperatures. Altitude is another major factor. We all know about Coors Field in Denver

TaleofTwoDogs
06-10-2019, 12:02 AM
There were only a couple of post in the last hour or so of the game. I think they conceded the loss after the 7th.

Here's one of the last post: "3 runs in two games. Not the way we wanted to go out. Great season, though."

"That's all folkkkks." ....Bugs Bunny

preachermatt83
06-10-2019, 12:03 AM
Stanford was one of the classiest teams I’ve ever seen.

West Tn Dawg
06-10-2019, 12:04 AM
From their board.
We?re toast. I stand by my earlier contention that home field is worth several runs for Mississppi State. Our kids are playing in front of more fans in two nights than the number who showed up to Sunken Diamond all season. Miller has always been prone to wildness but I think the atmosphere tonight exacerbated it for him.

Hats off to the Bulldogs and their fans. Let?s go out and get a top 8 seed next year.
Pretty classy of them.

Dawg61
06-10-2019, 12:05 AM
I think I'd put Vandy in over USC as top 5 toughest to play at in terms of atmosphere in the SEC.

CadaverDawg
06-10-2019, 12:05 AM
Stanford was one of the classiest teams I’ve ever seen.

I agree

Lord McBuckethead
06-10-2019, 12:39 AM

I would think, now I haven't gone to Stanford, that the humidity and moisture in the air would make it heavy. Not allowing the ball to carry as far as lower humidity levels.

DancingRabbit
06-10-2019, 12:46 AM
I've got a feeling that the Stanford contingent were like, damn, these people are into baseball. They took their whipping in a respectful manner. We are just that good.

Homedawg
06-10-2019, 01:04 AM
The left and right fielders came back out and chatter w the fans. Left field guy was super cordial.

shoeless joe
06-10-2019, 06:48 AM
Stanford was one of the classiest teams I?ve ever seen.

This can?t be stated enough. They had an opportunity to really make us look bad during our victory lap but they sat their and waited in order to do the post game handshake.. they were absolute class in that situation

State82
06-10-2019, 06:56 AM
This can?t be stated enough. They had an opportunity to really make us look bad during our victory lap but they sat their and waited in order to do the post game handshake.. they were absolute class in that situation

I thought the exact same thing.

Ezsoil
06-10-2019, 06:58 AM

Did you see the sweat on the coach in his 4th inning interview? And he wasn't even playing

West Tn Dawg
06-10-2019, 07:18 AM
We’re toast. I stand by my earlier contention that home field is worth several runs for Mississppi State. Our kids are playing in front of more fans in two nights than the number who showed up to Sunken Diamond all season. Miller has always been prone to wildness but I think the atmosphere tonight exacerbated it for him.

Hats off to the Bulldogs and their fans. Let’s go out and get a top 8 seed next year.

Pretty classy!

MSUDAWGFAN
06-10-2019, 11:56 AM
I would think, now I haven't gone to Stanford, that the humidity and moisture in the air would make it heavy. Not allowing the ball to carry as far as lower humidity levels.

Water molecules weigh 18 grams/mol and oxygen atoms weigh 32 grams/mol. Nitrogen weighs 28 grams/mol. When water molecules occupy a space, they displace other atoms in the area. They do not just add to it. So, since the displacing molecules weigh less it lowers the average mass of the molecules in the air. So, wet air weighs less than dry air.

Commercecomet24
06-10-2019, 12:13 PM

Yeah they are. Coach Esquer is good coach and a good man.

Doggie_Style
06-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Water molecules weigh 18 grams/mol and oxygen atoms weigh 32 grams/mol. Nitrogen weighs 28 grams/mol. When water molecules occupy a space, they displace other atoms in the area. They do not just add to it. So, since the displacing molecules weigh less it lowers the average mass of the molecules in the air. So, wet air weighs less than dry air.

Yes but if you actually do the math you will find that relative humidity has only a very small effect on air density (and hence ball flight). The main factor is just temperature. The hotter it is the lighter the air is and it exerts less resistance on the ball as it travels.

msbulldog
06-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Yeah they are. Coach Esquer is good coach and a good man.

Yep, that was very nice for him to come out and stand with Skelton, while Eagan was down.

gravedigger
06-10-2019, 12:40 PM
The left and right fielders came back out and chatter w the fans. Left field guy was super cordial.

Pretty damn fine left fielder as well.

RocketDawg
06-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Yes but if you actually do the math you will find that relative humidity has only a very small effect on air density (and hence ball flight). The main factor is just temperature. The hotter it is the lighter the air is and it exerts less resistance on the ball as it travels.

It's not baseball, but the difference in winter and summer golf is tremendous. The ball doesn't compress as well in the winter, and the cold air is more dense. One of the biggest factors though is, generally speaking, the firmer ground. I don't hit the ball a mile like the younger guys do, but my drives are close to 50-75 yards longer in the summer, thanks to a combination of weather-related factors. Playing in 40 degree temps vs 90 degree temps makes a huge diference.

MSUDAWGFAN
06-11-2019, 10:18 AM

This is true. I was just talking about wet air vs dry air mass because Lord McBuckethead said he thought the wet air would make it heavy. I was explaining why it doesn't.

You are correct though. It has a very negligible effect. Temperature certainly has more of an effect than relative humidity. You know what has an even bigger effect? Hitting the ball really hard like Macnamee did in the 9th.

Jack Lambert
06-11-2019, 10:40 AM
It's not baseball, but the difference in winter and summer golf is tremendous. The ball doesn't compress as well in the winter, and the cold air is more dense. One of the biggest factors though is, generally speaking, the firmer ground. I don't hit the ball a mile like the younger guys do, but my drives are close to 50-75 yards longer in the summer, thanks to a combination of weather-related factors. Playing in 40 degree temps vs 90 degree temps makes a huge diference.

Winter, Summer, Spring or Fall, it doesn't matter my ball goes left and it goes right.

maroonmania
06-11-2019, 07:27 PM

Yes. I will have a fond feeling for Stanford baseball going forward. The fact that those Stanford players endured that 9th inning and the entire celebration afterward to stay on the field to shake our hands and congratulate us was impressive to say the least. Couldn't have been easy for them to do, but they did it. My hat is off to them.

RocketDawg
06-11-2019, 07:54 PM
This is true. I was just talking about wet air vs dry air mass because Lord McBuckethead said he thought the wet air would make it heavy. I was explaining why it doesn't.

You are correct though. It has a very negligible effect. Temperature certainly has more of an effect than relative humidity. You know what has an even bigger effect? Hitting the ball really hard like Macnamee did in the 9th.

It's a small difference, but remember the ball where the two Stanford fielders (center and right) almost collided and missed the ball? It hit on the top of the fence, on the yellow line. If it'd been a little more humid or a degree or two warmer, it would have gone over. **

Homedawg
06-11-2019, 08:08 PM
The crowd definitely had an impact on the Skelton ball in the gap. Obviously, there was no interference, but they couldn't communicate, it appeared, and I think they catch that ball in most normal games. It should have been caught.

HereComesTheSpiral
06-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Yes. I will have a fond feeling for Stanford baseball going forward. The fact that those Stanford players endured that 9th inning and the entire celebration afterward to stay on the field to shake our hands and congratulate us was impressive to say the least. Couldn't have been easy for them to do, but they did it. My hat is off to them.

Just watched the Stanford post game interviews, will cheer for them going forward.

starkvegasdawg
06-11-2019, 10:33 PM
Just watched the Stanford post game interviews, will cheer for them going forward.
Absolutely. There manager is pure class, too, from what I saw after Eagan collapsed. That's why those that say Mac was trying to show them up are clueless. Players like ours and theirs respect each other and how they play the game.