PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Expand Dudy Noble?

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2019, 10:15 AM
The trajectory of this program & now having what I believe to be a long-term head coaching solution in place, I think we are going to need to expand Dudy Noble at some point.

The question is how?

https://i.imgur.com/yTKMtkt.jpg

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2019, 10:18 AM
- I for one like the berms. I know they aren't everyone's favorite but I think they variety to the ballpark that gives it charm.

- If you add new seats to the grandstand, I feel as though they'll just be sold as season tickets, which really doesn't solve the problem.

- I'm not in favorite of metal bleachers. I think adding those would cheapen this great venue.

- My vote is to build some sort of concrete bleacher structure behind & above the RF lounge. Kind of where the scoreboard is. It would block the score board so you'd have to build another one. LF is a no-go due to the other condos going up soon.

- Another option would be to build some GA seating above the berms

BulldogBear
06-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Small grandstand RF corner

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Small grandstand RF corner

On the plaza or behind the lounge?

Mjoelner34
06-09-2019, 10:43 AM
1. Extend the upper deck grandstand down the first base and third base lines by about 2 sections and make it GA seating.
2. Make it so that with a GA grandstand ticket that you can immediately sit in an unoccupied grandstand seat until forced to move by the season ticket holder of that seat.
3. For God's sake, build more restrooms for the outfield. When you consider the old brick building in LF and the Junction John in CF, we actually reduced the restroom capacity for the outfield in the new stadium.

smootness
06-09-2019, 11:07 AM
I'll be surprised if it needs to be expanded anytime in the next 15-20 years.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2019, 11:13 AM
I'll be surprised if it needs to be expanded anytime in the next 15-20 years.

I somewhat agree, although I do expect them to continuously improve the place by making small adjustments & maybe finding a way to put in temporary GA seating for regionals

BrunswickDawg
06-09-2019, 11:14 AM
I don't think it really needs it for anything other than the post season. However - you could add a second deck over the last section of the lower level seating on the 3rd base line, but I but it would still go to season tickets because that is where the money is.
The regular season solution is opening up grandstand seating as GA unless the seat holder arrives. We also need to beef up our ticket exchange process. That is simple, and solves our problem without any expense.

Seating for the post season could be done like PGA events. You could put them behind the concourses down the first and third base lines, and in the large area in RF behind the SRO area with the drink rails. You could also put them behind the lounges in RF in the grassed area where the bounce houses are. If you have been to a PGA event you know it can work. The question is could we get our money out of it?

https://www.seats3d.com/ncaa/mississippi_state_university/baseball/public/assets/level_3.png

http://www.seatingstructures.com/img/client_large/misc_04.jpg

Liverpooldawg
06-09-2019, 11:34 AM
It doesn't need to be expanded. The only thing that will be done in the next 15-20 years is to build the other set of lofts.

Gutter Cobreh
06-09-2019, 11:44 AM
The trajectory of this program & now having what I believe to be a long-term head coaching solution in place, I think we are going to need to expand Dudy Noble at some point.

The question is how?

The only thing I see that needs to be renovated, based on your photo, is the building with the white roof down the 1st base line behind the 2nd level....It greatly diminishes the appearance of the new Dude.

Also, renovating that could help us in other sports - but I'm no expert.***

Todd4State
06-09-2019, 12:23 PM
A new set of Lofts will help some assuming that they also have rooftop access.

I think for big games like Super Bulldog Weekend and Regionals we could possibly get by with temporary bleachers in right field where the kid area is.

I would consider adding a section to the upper deck on both the first and third base side as others have said.

3rdGen
06-09-2019, 12:28 PM

The question is how?

I think the most practical and cheapest thing to do would be to extend the upper decks on both sides to the foul pole.

BulldogBear
06-09-2019, 12:31 PM
On the plaza or behind the lounge?
Just north of plaza. Where the flat grassy area is that you can't really see well from anyway. Might not even have to move scoreboard.

deadheaddawg
06-09-2019, 12:40 PM
It doesn't need to be expanded. The only thing that will be done in the next 15-20 years is to build the other set of lofts.

It's not big enough for games last night. It just isn't. I know some people refuse to speak an bad word about it, but the truth is it isn't big enough for big games.

Is that enough to justify a change? Most stadiums are not big enough for big games. Are bama's and Auburn's big enough for the iron bowl? They could probably sell twice as many seats.

I went last night and because of the time change I was in line for the berms for about 5 hours. Once the gate opened it was like black Friday. If I had blinked I would not have gotten a spot

But it was a special night. I doubt I ever try to bring an old person or small kid to a big game....but maybe that's ok. Duke's basketball arena is special, mostly because it's too small. Maybe that's what we were going for when we designed it.

Cameron Indoor Stadium is like this magical basketball arena where everyone is packed in and the fans are crazy.....it felt like that last night

IMissJack
06-09-2019, 01:12 PM
My only problem with the stadium being small is over time we are going to lose a generation of fans that could not go to games like I could and many of you could, and get a decent seat any time you wanted. There will be a lot of kids that never get to go to regionals or big games because dad can't afford season tix and won't sit in the berms area. As unappealing as they were, our bleachers were easy seats for a lot of our fans to afford.

gravedigger
06-09-2019, 01:33 PM

The question is how?

I think there is little to no need.

R2Dawg
06-09-2019, 02:13 PM
- I for one like the berms. I know they aren't everyone's favorite but I think they variety to the ballpark that gives it charm.

- If you add new seats to the grandstand, I feel as though they'll just be sold as season tickets, which really doesn't solve the problem.

- I'm not in favorite of metal bleachers. I think adding those would cheapen this great venue.

- My vote is to build some sort of concrete bleacher structure behind & above the RF lounge. Kind of where the scoreboard is. It would block the score board so you'd have to build another one. LF is a no-go due to the other condos going up soon.

- Another option would be to build some GA seating above the berms

I say a grandstand extension above the berms for GA. Would also give a little shade to those on the berm.

We could shatter baseball records a few times a year.

Liverpooldawg
06-09-2019, 02:28 PM
It's not big enough for games last night. It just isn't. I know some people refuse to speak an bad word about it, but the truth is it isn't big enough for big games.

Is that enough to justify a change? Most stadiums are not big enough for big games. Are bama's and Auburn's big enough for the iron bowl? They could probably sell twice as many seats.

I went last night and because of the time change I was in line for the berms for about 5 hours. Once the gate opened it was like black Friday. If I had blinked I would not have gotten a spot

But it was a special night. I doubt I ever try to bring an old person or small kid to a big game....but maybe that's ok. Duke's basketball arena is special, mostly because it's too small. Maybe that's what we were going for when we designed it.

Cameron Indoor Stadium is like this magical basketball arena where everyone is packed in and the fans are crazy.....it felt like that last night

You don't build something in baseball for 2 games year. It was plenty big for last night. Heck for at least one of the two larger Super Reg crowds in the old Dude we had a couple of hundred people WHO HAD TICKETS watching on temporary video boards behind the stands. There were probably another thousand in the lounge that couldn't see a dang thing. It needs to be left pretty much alone other than to build the other lofts. It's easily the best college stadium I've ever been in in any sport. The crowd totally surrounds the field. They are right on top of the field. It's loud. It looks fantastic. Your last sentence sums up why it needs to be left alone. Who cares how big it is.

Bdawg
06-09-2019, 02:34 PM
I like the idea of extending the upper deck over the walkways down each sideline. Put some seats in that terraced berm( I noticed last night that space was not utilized very well with a lot of space between the rows of people) but leave the other berm. Lastly just for looks, put a duty noble field sign around the circled entrance facing the field just like the one facing away from the field. It's would just look better from inside the park than looking at the back of the sign that's facing outward.

deadheaddawg
06-09-2019, 02:42 PM
If you could figure out a way to put in some temporary removable seating where the blow up slide is that would work.

Nothing permanent because it's not needed for the vast majority of the games...but if you could do something just for post season that would be great.

I do have faith in our leadership here. They built it like this for a reason and it came out better than I would have ever guessed. I feel confident they considered all these senerios and they know what they are doing

Saltydog
06-09-2019, 03:00 PM
I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to expand it. We would have to have WAY more average attendance than we do now to even consider it and I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon. However, in the event we did the best thing to do IMO would be to extend the grandstands down each line and to add additional seating in RF behind the plaza.

BrunswickDawg
06-09-2019, 03:01 PM
If you could figure out a way to put in some temporary removable seating where the blow up slide is that would work.

Nothing permanent because it's not needed for the vast majority of the games...but if you could do something just for post season that would be great.

I do have faith in our leadership here. They built it like this for a reason and it came out better than I would have ever guessed. I feel confident they considered all these senerios and they know what they are doing

Those temporary stands aren't that hard to have installed. It's done every week for PGA events - and they can work around all sorts of custom location challenges. It's not as expensive as you would think, but The question is the economics of it. Would the NCAA allow us to do a GA "seat" ticket priced at a level closer to the reserved seats and keep enough to cover the cost of installation and still give them their cut? It's the NCAA so the answer is probably no.

RocketDawg
06-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Those temporary stands aren't that hard to have installed. It's done every week for PGA events - and they can work around all sorts of custom location challenges. It's not as expensive as you would think, but The question is the economics of it. Would the NCAA allow us to do a GA "seat" ticket priced at a level closer to the reserved seats and keep enough to cover the cost of installation and still give them their cut? It's the NCAA so the answer is probably no.

I dunno ... I think the last thing we need to do at a brand new $65+M stadium is to bring in temporary seating. The problem of basically everybody who doesn't have a season ticket either stands or brings their own lawn chair could stand addressing though.

msbulldog
06-09-2019, 03:37 PM
I like the idea of extending the upper deck over the walkways down each sideline. Put some seats in that terraced berm( I noticed last night that space was not utilized very well with a lot of space between the rows of people) but leave the other berm. Lastly just for looks, put a duty noble field sign around the circled entrance facing the field just like the one facing away from the field. It's would just look better from inside the park than looking at the back of the sign that's facing outward.

Agree with the other sign at the Plaza that's seen on TV.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Why expand.... just raise prices.

ShotgunDawg
06-09-2019, 04:08 PM
My only problem with the stadium being small is over time we are going to lose a generation of fans that could not go to games like I could and many of you could, and get a decent seat any time you wanted. There will be a lot of kids that never get to go to regionals or big games because dad can't afford season tix and won't sit in the berms area. As unappealing as they were, our bleachers were easy seats for a lot of our fans to afford.

I agree with this

Bothrops
06-09-2019, 04:20 PM
Last night's atmosphere was exclusive only to the new Dude with a packed house. You can't match that anywhere else. I say no expansion needed, but I heard that to next stage of lofts will begin shortly..not sure if true though.

AlSwearengen
06-09-2019, 04:28 PM

This

AlSwearengen
06-09-2019, 04:46 PM
What about sections of chairbacks on top of the new lofts instead of what they have on top of the existing loft? Similar to what they have at Wrigley. Visually, it would be amazing and if nothing else, it would take some of the pressure off of the berms and there wouldn’t be such a rat race to get a seat there. It would feel like you were sitting on the sun during the day though. Those berms are going to be the cause of fights and then, there might be a discussion about seating for the common man.

Liverpooldawg
06-09-2019, 05:00 PM
I swear we could find a diamond mine on campus and some of y'all would complain that the diamonds are the wrong color.

MetEdDawg
06-09-2019, 05:04 PM
No. We just spent the most money on a baseball stadium I believe in NCAA history.

What's the rate of return on spending millions more dollars? Negligible. Use it elsewhere. And I love baseball with everything I have.

Use it in other sports. Give football assistants pay raises.