PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on MLB draft trends

Todd4State
06-07-2019, 09:26 PM
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/draft-system-has-pushed-teams-to-pick-more-college-players/

Basically it talks about the trend of MLB drafting more college players.

Todd4State
06-07-2019, 09:38 PM
I know I am in the minority when I say this- I hope MLB does away with drafting high school and junior college players all together. In today's society and culture it doesn't make sense to sign players out of high school.

And yeah I know- Bryce Harper. But how many Bryce Harper's are there every year?

Now for my crazy idea for the "but school isn't for everyone" crowd. For the players that can't qualify or get into college or JUCO- have those players do what the kids in my high school did that "college wasn't for them". Start a league called the Military/First Responder League. Each branch of the military and then the police, EMT, and fire departments from around the country form leagues of their best players ages 17-23. The very best of those groups are then put into all-star teams- Army All-Stars, Navy All-Stars, police all-stars and etc. and those all star teams play each other. The catch is the players MUST be active members in the military, the fire department, police department, or EMT to be eligible to play. Players from the first responder league would then be eligible for the MLB draft at age 21 like their college counterparts in the June draft.

Have them play in some blue collar American Midwestern city like Des Moines, Iowa or Wichita, Kansas since Omaha is taken.

Crazy? I know. Fire away.

dantheman4248
06-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Telling someone at 18 that they aren?t allowed to do a certain type of living for money strictly because of their age and not because they can?t do it or the company won?t hire them is dumb. Period. The end.

Natedogg33
06-07-2019, 10:12 PM
Crazy idea Todd. And where did you go to high school? Poor college hating kids.
But I do agree that MLB clubs would be better served going after college guys.

Todd4State
06-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Telling someone at 18 that they aren?t allowed to do a certain type of living for money strictly because of their age and not because they can?t do it or the company won?t hire them is dumb. Period. The end.

Like a doctor? Or any other job where you have to have a degree in?

Todd4State
06-07-2019, 10:31 PM

The Madison Central. Great school obviously. But just like every other public school we had people that didn't want to go to college and some of them went into the military, joined the police force, and some joined the fire department at least on a volunteer basis. And all of the people that I am thinking about have all been successful at their walk in life. Good for them because those jobs are very important.

Lord McBuckethead
06-08-2019, 01:26 AM
Like a doctor? Or any other job where you have to have a degree in?

Yeah, but a high school person couldn't qualify to be a doctor. They could be qualified to catch, throw, or hit a ball.

Lord McBuckethead
06-08-2019, 01:28 AM
The Madison Central. Great school obviously. But just like every other public school we had people that didn't want to go to college and some of them went into the military, joined the police force, and some joined the fire department at least on a volunteer basis. And all of the people that I am thinking about have all been successful at their walk in life. Good for them because those jobs are very important.

Someone being in the military or public sevice industry has nothing to do with a ball player. I see where you wer going, but that may be one of the worst proposals I have ever read.

Lord McBuckethead
06-08-2019, 01:28 AM
I do agree, I like mlb teams drafting college players.

Really Clark?
06-08-2019, 02:36 AM

There are a lot of jobs that you can’t do because of age...from tending bar to running for Congress...from driving a truck interstate or hazardous materials (you have to be 21) to working in many areas of federal law enforcement, etc

dantheman4248
06-08-2019, 03:55 AM
Both Todd and Clark missed the mark in.

Qualified: “Be a Doctor, have a degree in.”

You (likely) don’t have those qualifications at 18. Obviously no one would hire you. Again. If you’re qualified why in the hell does age stop you.

Then Clark, you equate baseball to things against the law. Illegal to drink under 21. Not illegal to play baseball under 21. You’re literally saying it’s better if they don’t get money for doing work that they are gonna do just because of their age. You can’t go to bartender college at 18 and bartend for no pay. You can go to college for baseball and play for no pay.

Congress age limits I whole heartedly disagree with. They’re from another time and we’re even argued about back in the 1700s when they were set. They also come from a time when the voting age was 21 which as we know has changed.

Restricting kids from getting paid at 18 if possible (for any sport) is simply wrong. If teams don’t want to draft them that’s fine. But setting an extra age limit is a joke.

msstate7
06-08-2019, 07:06 AM
I like it how it is... last night, the braves had 4 starters age 22 or younger (albies, acuna, Riley, and soroka) that didn't go to college

bulldogcountry1
06-08-2019, 07:17 AM
I think there should be something to better protect colleges because of the scholarship situation and the investment they put into the recruiting process.

I don't know enough about the system to offer a simple solution, but I think that HS players should have to declare ahead of time with some sort of minimum bonus offer. MLB offering way over slot also screws everything up. The ability to swoop in at the signing deadline and sign a guy for 3x slot is garbage. If a team is willing to pay player X an certain amount, then pick him at the appropriate slot.

Ezsoil
06-08-2019, 07:24 AM
I had a professor at MSU that made a great point....he said the time to chase your dreams was while you are young....if you want to be a ball player or start a new business, the time to do it is when you don't have a spouse, children, a mortgage etc......you can devote all your time and energy into that dream. And if you fail, all you have lost is your time because you didn't have a lot to begin with. (Most of us could have packed all of our worldly possessions in a car at 18) ... I have never liked any rules that basically serve as "barriers to entry" of any marketplace.... the great thing about this country is that it's ok to fail....let folks chase their dreams and see for themselves ..if it works out, that's great if not, they can move on with their lives and never have to sit and wonder "what if".

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2019, 08:54 AM
I know I am in the minority when I say this- I hope MLB does away with drafting high school and junior college players all together. In today's society and culture it doesn't make sense to sign players out of high school.

And yeah I know- Bryce Harper. But how many Bryce Harper's are there every year?

Now for my crazy idea for the "but school isn't for everyone" crowd. For the players that can't qualify or get into college or JUCO- have those players do what the kids in my high school did that "college wasn't for them". Start a league called the Military/First Responder League. Each branch of the military and then the police, EMT, and fire departments from around the country form leagues of their best players ages 17-23. The very best of those groups are then put into all-star teams- Army All-Stars, Navy All-Stars, police all-stars and etc. and those all star teams play each other. The catch is the players MUST be active members in the military, the fire department, police department, or EMT to be eligible to play. Players from the first responder league would then be eligible for the MLB draft at age 21 like their college counterparts in the June draft.

Have them play in some blue collar American Midwestern city like Des Moines, Iowa or Wichita, Kansas since Omaha is taken.

Crazy? I know. Fire away.

Nah. The best American players need to be able to get into pro ball ASAP because the international/Latin players are able to & getting to pro ball earlier allows players to get to free agency earlier.

If HS players weren't allowed to be drafted, those top American HS players would go to Japan where they could make money.

Your idea would be catastrophic for MLB. Not happening.

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2019, 08:57 AM

I disagree & it'll swing back towards HS players in due time.

Teams are only taking the college guys because they are less risky due to being older & teams already having a good idea of what type of player they are.

Soon the advantage will on the HS player side because more will be available

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2019, 08:59 AM
I like it how it is... last night, the braves had 4 starters age 22 or younger (albies, acuna, Riley, and soroka) that didn't go to college

The system works because the HS players ask for a ton of money. So long as they keep asking for a ton of money, only the VERY BEST high school players will be drafted or those that really need money.

That's the way it should be right?

Really Clark?
06-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Both Todd and Clark missed the mark in.

Qualified: “Be a Doctor, have a degree in.”

You (likely) don’t have those qualifications at 18. Obviously no one would hire you. Again. If you’re qualified why in the hell does age stop you.

Then Clark, you equate baseball to things against the law. Illegal to drink under 21. Not illegal to play baseball under 21. You’re literally saying it’s better if they don’t get money for doing work that they are gonna do just because of their age. You can’t go to bartender college at 18 and bartend for no pay. You can go to college for baseball and play for no pay.

Congress age limits I whole heartedly disagree with. They’re from another time and we’re even argued about back in the 1700s when they were set. They also come from a time when the voting age was 21 which as we know has changed.

Restricting kids from getting paid at 18 if possible (for any sport) is simply wrong. If teams don’t want to draft them that’s fine. But setting an extra age limit is a joke.

You said any one telling them they can’t do certain jobs because of age is dumb. You can’t come back and try to qualify your blanket statement now. And actually agree that you can’t do certain jobs because of age because of legality when you throw out a blanket statement like you did. I was just pointing out there are many jobs for various reasons that you can’t hold because of age. So it’s not dumb in all instances, is it. And you didn’t address driving a truck across state lines until you are 21 either. Or having a career in a lot of law enforcement areas until you are 21...FBI you have to be 23.

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2019, 09:01 AM
I think there should be something to better protect colleges because of the scholarship situation and the investment they put into the recruiting process.

I don't know enough about the system to offer a simple solution, but I think that HS players should have to declare ahead of time with some sort of minimum bonus offer. MLB offering way over slot also screws everything up. The ability to swoop in at the signing deadline and sign a guy for 3x slot is garbage. If a team is willing to pay player X an certain amount, then pick him at the appropriate slot.

When would "ahead of time" be?

Remember the Spring baseball season is when evaluations are. So you can't make "ahead of time" in January

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2019, 09:06 AM

You guys just want more talent in college baseball & I get that due to what you care about, but there are much much much larger issues at play here.

The NFL can get away with their rule because they are the only legitimate football league in the world, thus what they say goes.

Baseball & basketball have to weave & dodge with their rules because there are legitimate threats from leagues in other countries that could exploit any rule we make that prevents people from working.

The system is fine & if anything, MLB needs to get rid of draft pick compensation being attached to free agency with the qualifying offer that so MLB teams can have more money to sign HS players.

sleepy dawg
06-08-2019, 09:11 AM
There should be minimum limits. If you're old enough to work and a company wants to hire you, then you should be able to go. If the Yankees wanted to draft a 16 year old and he wanted to drop out of highschool, he should be allowed to play. Why does everyone want to put so many arbitrary limits on everybody else?

Todd4State
06-08-2019, 09:16 AM
Nah. The best American players need to be able to get into pro ball ASAP because the international/Latin players are able to & getting to pro ball earlier allows players to get to free agency earlier.

If HS players weren't allowed to be drafted, those top American HS players would go to Japan where they could make money.

Your idea would be catastrophic for MLB. Not happening.

I don't think the Latin players should be signed until 21 either. MLB would probably get a better evaluation of those players if they were older.

MLB has an issue with players leaving baseball without degrees and transitioning back into the workforce. That's a major issue when less than 10% of the players that are drafted and sign make enough to live independently wealthy.

Todd4State
06-08-2019, 09:17 AM
You guys just want more talent in college baseball & I get that due to what you care about, but there are much much much larger issues at play here.

The NFL can get away with their rule because they are the only legitimate football league in the world, thus what they say goes.

Baseball & basketball have to weave & dodge with their rules because there are legitimate threats from leagues in other countries that could exploit any rule we make that prevents people from working.

The system is fine & if anything, MLB needs to get rid of draft pick compensation being attached to free agency with the qualifying offer that so MLB teams can have more money to sign HS players.

After Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel it will be interesting to see if it does go away.

ShotgunDawg
06-08-2019, 09:31 AM
I don't think the Latin players should be signed until 21 either. MLB would probably get a better evaluation of those players if they were older.

MLB has an issue with players leaving baseball without degrees and transitioning back into the workforce. That's a major issue when less than 10% of the players that are drafted and sign make enough to live independently wealthy.

Your idea would dramatically hurt MLB & some Latin American countries. You're so biased in the this conversation that you're not seeing the big picture.

Dominicans grow up with NOTHING. NOTHING. If you move the international signing age back to 21, they are going to Japan, Taiwan, etc. They are not waiting to be 21 & MLB will lose because of that.

MLB pays for the college degrees of most all drafted players. It's completely their choice if they never go back to school.

Really Clark?
06-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Your idea would dramatically hurt MLB & some Latin American countries. You're so biased in the this conversation that you're not seeing the big picture.

Dominicans grow up with NOTHING. NOTHING. If you move the international signing age back to 21, they are going to Japan, Taiwan, etc. They are not waiting to be 21 & MLB will lose because of that.

MLB pays for the college degrees of most all drafted players. It's completely their choice if they never go back to school.

Well I know they have the college plan that has to be negotiated into their minor league contract that pays a certain amount for college per semester while playing ball and up to 2 years after last day of playing. They also have the incentive bonus plan that is available but you if you use one or the other it diminishes how much you can draw from the other plan I believe. Some draft picks have complete college payment after retiring in their contract but not a lot actually have it to that degree. It?s mostly the college plan and the rate that was negotiated per semester that the club will pay, it?s not a blank we will pay for all if your college kind of deal but you can negotiate a fairly good rate. And you can take classes while in the minors, you can use it while you play as well

smootness
06-08-2019, 10:04 AM
The market will figure it out, as it is now. There's no need to bar HS kids from going pro. A lot of the top players American players in baseball didn't go to college (the int'l guys obviously didn't). More and more of them did, but there's still a ton who didn't, and they're usually the best of the best - Trout, Betts, Yelich, Lindor, Bellinger, Arenado. And these guys were almost all making an impact in the majors before they ever could have if they'd gone to college.

Todd4State
06-08-2019, 10:08 AM

I also have an uncle that signed straight out of high school that has as of yet been unable to acquire a full time job not including coaching at the minor league level since he retired in 1983.

I don't think the trend of signing college players for the most part is going to change. It has been that way for years now.

dawgs
06-08-2019, 10:36 AM
There's been way more than Bryce Harper making their mlb debuts before they'd have been draft eligible out of college. Baseball's minor league system is a very realistic alternate path to developing into a mlb player, no need to take that option away.

dantheman4248
06-08-2019, 05:51 PM
You said any one telling them they can?t do certain jobs because of age is dumb. You can?t come back and try to qualify your blanket statement now. And actually agree that you can?t do certain jobs because of age because of legality when you throw out a blanket statement like you did. I was just pointing out there are many jobs for various reasons that you can?t hold because of age. So it?s not dumb in all instances, is it. And you didn?t address driving a truck across state lines until you are 21 either. Or having a career in a lot of law enforcement areas until you are 21...FBI you have to be 23.

If you can sign up and die for your country then that age should allow you do any type of work with proper training and someone willing to hire you. I?m not gonna sit here and address each little job you listed individually. None of them should have an extra barrier ahead of one where you can legally sign up and fight and die, period.

They should require their training and someone willing to hire you, that?s it.