PDA

View Full Version : Vandy Player breaks Ranks against the Whistler

The Federalist Engineer
06-06-2019, 11:16 PM
https://i-cdn.embed.ly/1/display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e7893c13&url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F75g8gtuc3s031.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/collegebaseball/comments/btntyr/kumar_rocker_vandy_pitcher_liking_an_interesting/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=media&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=0b2b468eb7a1422982377e6cbf57bc08&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=btntyr

deadheaddawg
06-07-2019, 12:33 AM
Holy crap. This guy is a hero

bulldogcountry1
06-07-2019, 07:18 AM
That's what it's going to take - people from inside the program/fan base to speak out.

I don't see him getting away with again in Omaha. It's drawing too much negative attention, and even Vandy's most hardcore fans are going to tire of being associated with him. Nobody will know anything about Vandy athletics, but they will remember the stupid whistling. I get them wanting to take up for their own, but the negative attention will break them.

Last year at the Supers, their fans would consistently try to other cheers to get into the game, but the whistler would take over every time, and they were forced to do the same thing over and over. This guy isn't simply a super fan. He's all about himself. No normal person would go to such extremes just because they think it helps the team.

StateDawg44
06-07-2019, 07:21 AM
Dude just looks like a sleezeball. Realistically I bet he is loving the attention though.

But yes, if their fanbase will start raising hell then we all may finally get what we want.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2019, 07:57 AM
Dude just looks like a sleezeball. Realistically I bet he is loving the attention though.

But yes, if their fanbase will start raising hell then we all may finally get what we want.

Yep and Yep. Supposedly at least one of the Vandy baseball player's family members complained several years ago, but nothing ever came from it. Corbin said in an interview that he supports the whistler or whistlers (there are two of them).

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-07-2019, 08:55 AM
What’s the psychological makeup of someone that continues to do this? I’m curious what is it that drives a person to keep doing this when they know the vast majority of those attending Vandy games can’t stand his whistling.

deadheaddawg
06-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Yep and Yep. Supposedly at least one of the Vandy baseball player's family members complained several years ago, but nothing ever came from it. Corbin said in an interview that he supports the whistler or whistlers (there are two of them).

This makes me hate Corbin so much. He's the one that can stop this. He's opinion carries more weight than anyone elses. Corbin signing off and supporting these assholes makes him just as bad.

I see people on Twitter and message boards suggesting money be raised for the legal fees for anyone who beats up the Whistler....well I will donate to anyone in Nashville that whips Corbin's old cheating ass..... Screw him for making baseball unwatchable

BulldogBear
06-07-2019, 09:08 AM
It's like how we love cowbells and yes, we do bring 'em to baseball games, but at a baseball game none of us would sit behind home plate and ring one non stop.

BrunswickDawg
06-07-2019, 09:31 AM
It's like how we love cowbells and yes, we do bring 'em to baseball games, but at a baseball game none of us would sit behind home plate and ring one non stop.

It is interesting how cowbells just aren't a big thing at baseball games and have really become ubiquitous with football. I know they started with football - but I watched most of our televised baseball games this year and realized you rarely hear them - and when you do it is celebratory after a play and not part of a cheer, or attempting to distract the opposing team. Even in game 1 last weekend when Jake started off the game pumping up the crowd I didn't hear (or at least didn't notice) any.

I actually like that it hasn't become a thing for baseball. Our crowd in big baseball games is enough and is bigger than 90% of the teams we play. We don't have to have an "equalizer" to make up for our stadium being 2/3 the size of our competitors like we do in football. As much opponents gripe about our bells- most of them are pumping in crowd noise or micing the band, and doing the exact same thing with a different device.

But those whistlers - they are awful.

The Federalist Engineer
06-07-2019, 09:48 AM
There is precedence on control....Behold the Northwestern Screamer

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/11/16/8409052-0-image-a-58_1547224396524.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjqg7bdztfiAhVOwFkKHTbpBXsQjhx6BAgBEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBM kcfFfM9cw&psig=AOvVaw0bG9M-bP51UkqNfnIfHbwv&ust=1560005171912949

MedDawg
06-07-2019, 10:17 AM
There is precedence on control....Behold the Northwestern Screamer

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/01/11/16/8409052-0-image-a-58_1547224396524.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjqg7bdztfiAhVOwFkKHTbpBXsQjhx6BAgBEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DBM kcfFfM9cw&psig=AOvVaw0bG9M-bP51UkqNfnIfHbwv&ust=1560005171912949

I think she was cheering for Southern University in our regional.

deadheaddawg
06-07-2019, 10:49 AM
What’s the psychological makeup of someone that continues to do this? I’m curious what is it that drives a person to keep doing this when they know the vast majority of those attending Vandy games can’t stand his whistling.

Attention whoring. Dont ever let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Some Vandy fans will tell you these whistler guys are "super fans". That's BS. They dont care about vandy. They care about themselves and being noticed. They are not smart or talented enough to become famous any other way.

Same way with that Northwestern Screamer. Its all about "look at me"

yjnkdawg
06-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Attention whoring. Dont ever let anyone try to convince you otherwise. Some Vandy fans will tell you these whistler guys are "super fans". That's BS. They dont care about vandy. They care about themselves and being noticed. They are not smart or talented enough to become famous any other way.

Yep. They say it's to support the Vandy baseball team, but they get as close to the ESPN mikes as they can. They know they are ruining the televised game broadcast, and irritate other fans around them, with the exception of a few of their followers, but they don't care. It's a look at me me thing.

RocketDawg
06-07-2019, 12:57 PM
You'd think fans at such top-notch schools like Vanderbilt and Northwestern would have more sophisticated fans.

Next thing you know Cal Tech will be put on athletic probation. **

deadheaddawg
06-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Yep. They say it's to support the Vandy baseball team, but they get as close to the ESPN mikes as they can. They know they are ruining the televised game broadcast, and irritate other fans around them, with the exception of a few of their followers, but they don't care. It's a look at me me thing.

yep. 100%

ZedFedder
06-07-2019, 01:07 PM
It’s a sad thing, but whenever he passes or can’t come to games anymore, a lot of people will celebrate.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-07-2019, 01:21 PM

I understand the attention whoring aspect but what is it that makes them do this? I’m guessing it’s a self esteem issue of some sort behind it.

TStationDawg
06-07-2019, 01:21 PM

THIS x 1M!!!! Dude drives around town in a mid 80s customized van plastered with ?Vandy Whistler? all over it!!!! Came to one game of my sons travel tourney games and started doing it. My father in law, who?s son played basketball at Vandy, went and talked to him. He told him he?s asking nicely bc this ain?t Hawkins field and this game dang sure about him. He actually stopped bc of the Vandy connection but still, what rational adult acts this way?!!! Answer: outlined in post above.

yjnkdawg
06-07-2019, 01:29 PM
You'd think fans at such top-notch schools like Vanderbilt and Northwestern would have more sophisticated fans.

Next thing you know Cal Tech will be put on athletic probation. **

I don't know what this whistler dude's occupation is (he may be retired) but the other one is (or was) a preacher.

starkvegasdawg
06-07-2019, 01:56 PM
I understand the attention whoring aspect but what is it that makes them do this? I’m guessing it’s a self esteem issue of some sort behind it.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/0b/36/ff0b361169e9f489e7b01049fb974572.jpg

bulldogcountry1
06-07-2019, 02:53 PM
I don't know what this whistler dude's occupation is (he may be retired) but the other one is (or was) a preacher.

He's not a preacher. His name is Preacher Franklin.

I've seen pics of the van, and I don't know how it ever manages to have air in its tires after the game.

Todd4State
06-07-2019, 02:59 PM
The guy is an attention whore and yes I'm 100% sure that he has self esteem issues that just jumped on the Vandy bandwagon for baseball. Why Vanderbilt or anyone else can't make him stop is beyond me because I'm pretty sure if I did something annoying to the entire crowd the security detail there would make me stop.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-07-2019, 03:28 PM
I think he probably liked because of the first sentence

The Federalist Engineer
06-07-2019, 05:56 PM
He's not a preacher. His name is Preacher Franklin.

I've seen pics of the van, and I don't know how it ever manages to have air in its tires after the game.

"Preacher Franklin" and he rolls in a Van, LOL that sounds like a Shawshank Redemption character....Vandy should run that name though a pedophile database.

Todd4State
06-07-2019, 07:19 PM
"Preacher Franklin" and he rolls in a Van, LOL that sounds like a Shawshank Redemption character....Vandy should run that name though a pedophile database.

The van makes me think more Kill Bill than Shawshank Redemtion.