PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning

somebodyshotmypaw
06-06-2019, 07:30 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/03/eli-manning-san-diego-chargers-2004-draft-bad-takes-week?utm_campaign=si-extra&utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SI%20Extra%20-%20USE%20THIS%20-%20List

Tbonewannabe
06-06-2019, 07:44 AM
I hate the guy but didn't Elway do the same thing?

Martianlander
06-06-2019, 07:55 AM

Yes he did. Threated to play baseball.

BrunswickDawg
06-06-2019, 07:56 AM

He did - and he actually had more leverage than Eli because he was playing minor league ball for the Yankees.

Lord McBuckethead
06-06-2019, 07:59 AM

Jim Kelly did as well. I think he went and played CFL for a while.

Hot Rock
06-06-2019, 08:20 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/06/03/eli-manning-san-diego-chargers-2004-draft-bad-takes-week?utm_campaign=si-extra&utm_source=si.com&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SI%20Extra%20-%20USE%20THIS%20-%20List

I don't hate Ole Miss that much, after all, I am a sidewalk fan. My late wife loved OM since her brother tried to play QB there back in the 70's right after the Archie era. I used to attend lots of their games with my wife and enjoyed them. I was even at the OM/Auburn game at Auburn when Tuberville first left for Auburn. Ole Miss won in several OT's and I had a blast mostly because I didn't really care who won. Auburn had bought out FSU out of a game and OM section was doing the Warrior Tomahawk Chop chant. That was fun. So, to the rumor:

Eli had an appointment to see someone with the Chargers prior to the draft to be interviewed. He flew out there and sat in the lobby for an extended time. I had heard it was a couple hours and he never got that interview. Either the people that he was supposed to meet with weren't there or had made overlapping plans or something. He finally left without meeting with anyone. There was also some speculation by some that the coaches wanted Rivers but Mgt was going to draft Eli anyway. I don't know any of this to be true or not. Just saying, it was a rumor I heard once, years ago and I don't even remember the source. If that really happened, it would change how I felt about him not wanting to go to a dysfunctional organization that couldn't even set up an appointment correctly.

I am just saying, sometimes we don't know everything that goes into people's decisions. So why didn't the Manning's ever tell this story to clear their name? I don't know, maybe they thought this will blow over and it has for the most part.

Johnson85
06-06-2019, 08:30 AM

Don't think this is right? I know I saw Jim Kelly give an interview (I think maybe for an espn story about the 1983 qb class?) where he was talking about how when he was drafted by Buffalo, he talked about how excited he was to come to Buffalo even though nobody wanted to go to buffalo but it was just the thing to do and it didn't occur to him that he could do what Elway did.

Hot Rock
06-06-2019, 08:43 AM
Don't think this is right? I know I saw Jim Kelly give an interview (I think maybe for an espn story about the 1983 qb class?) where he was talking about how when he was drafted by Buffalo, he talked about how excited he was to come to Buffalo even though nobody wanted to go to buffalo but it was just the thing to do and it didn't occur to him that he could do what Elway did.

Jim Kelly did most certainly chose to go play in the USFL for 2 years.

Buffalo just still had his rights after he came to the NFL> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kelly

magrooder
06-06-2019, 08:44 AM

It was the USFL, Houston Gamblers.

redstickdawg
06-06-2019, 08:46 AM
Archie did the same thing when he left tsun. I was 9 years old or so and I remember getting his autograph at a bank opening and wanted him to go play for the Saints instead of the Red sox who had drafted him.

Johnson85
06-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Jim Kelly did most certainly chose to go play in the USFL for 2 years.

Buffalo just still had his rights after he came to the NFL> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Kelly

Guess I either wasn't paying attention or just made up part of it. He did talk about how he said all the right things even though he didn't really want to play in Buffalo. But obviously there was a second part I missed there.
http://blog.buffalostories.com/the-story-of-how-jim-kelly-hated-buffalo-before-he-loved-it/

msudawg1200
06-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Archie did the same thing when he left tsun. I was 9 years old or so and I remember getting his autograph at a bank opening and wanted him to go play for the Saints instead of the Red sox who had drafted him.

Not trying to be that guy, but it was the White Sox not Red Sox.

The Federalist Engineer
06-06-2019, 09:55 AM
I see nothing wrong with what Eli or Elway did. In a capitalist system you can choose your employer, location, and negotiate your pay. The draft itself is the bad thing.

Imagine if a newly minted Engineer at MSU had to register for a "draft" upon graduation. Instead of hustling to find their preferred industry, location, and advancement pace...they could be drafted by Paper Mill in Vicksburg and they owned your employment rights for 4 years? Cool if you want to work in a Paper Mill in Vicksburg. But what if you wanted to work in Robotics in the Boston area?

In soccer, capitalism is the rule:

(1) No draft
(2) No salary cap
(3) Always had free agency (except in Europe before the Bosman Ruling)
(4) Players are paid weekly, they can submit transfer requests at defined intervals
(5) Players can begin their career as soon as they are legally able to work

Percho
06-06-2019, 10:10 AM
Good ole Uncle Jim. I was a big fan.

msstatelp1
06-06-2019, 10:11 AM
I think the USFL was offering more money at that time. Couldn't blame Kelly either way.

drunkernhelldawg
06-06-2019, 10:28 AM
It was up to the league to keep the situation in check. They failed to do that. I can't hold it against Eli or Archie for pursuing what they wanted, but it does stink that they got away with it, just like the article says. But he was an exceptional talent, so on that level he may have deserved some special treatment. The Chargers should have raised more hell than they did.

Hot Rock
06-06-2019, 11:59 AM
I personally don't blame anyone for negotiating for whatever they want, be it not to play for a bad team with bad mft or not in the cold or more money.

They have so very negotiating tactics and not to play in the NFL is about the only thing a player can do. I don't blame Bell for not playing for the Steelers last year either. That's dam big risk they take going that route and it is only the very elite that get to pull that card out.

Hot Rock
06-06-2019, 12:00 PM
Guess what, the other players rarely have a problem either. That's the business side of the game. Everyone knows you have to get what you can when you can in that league.

Tbonewannabe
06-06-2019, 12:23 PM
It was up to the league to keep the situation in check. They failed to do that. I can't hold it against Eli or Archie for pursuing what they wanted, but it does stink that they got away with it, just like the article says. But he was an exceptional talent, so on that level he may have deserved some special treatment. The Chargers should have raised more hell than they did.

I think the Chargers ended up getting the overall better QB. Eli gets a lot of recognition for winning 2 Superbowls and he should but I am not sure Rivers doesn't win 2 with those defenses and WRs catching everything in a 10 foot circle. Several of the throws that won one of those Superbowls were barely catchable and it took a great play to make them. Eli was just chunking the ball up for grabs and the Giants WR came down with it every time.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-06-2019, 12:29 PM
I see nothing wrong with what Eli or Elway did. In a capitalist system you can choose your employer, location, and negotiate your pay. The draft itself is the bad thing.

Imagine if a newly minted Engineer at MSU had to register for a "draft" upon graduation. Instead of hustling to find their preferred industry, location, and advancement pace...they could be drafted by Paper Mill in Vicksburg and they owned your employment rights for 4 years? Cool if you want to work in a Paper Mill in Vicksburg. But what if you wanted to work in Robotics in the Boston area?

In soccer, capitalism is the rule:

(1) No draft
(2) No salary cap
(3) Always had free agency (except in Europe before the Bosman Ruling)
(4) Players are paid weekly, they can submit transfer requests at defined intervals
(5) Players can begin their career as soon as they are legally able to work

This is a valid point. My biggest beef with the Eli situation is that Archie got involved. Daddy had zero business being involved. Imagine interviewing a grown man for a grown man's job and their daddy came with them. Imagine that newly minted Engineer at MSU that you mention in your thread having his parents speak for him. Ain't no way I would hire him.

I used to have one woman (the same woman) call me every 3-4 months asking if we were hiring people for a certain maintenance position. She stated her son had experience and was looking for a job. Every time I told her "Ma'am, if your son wants a job, maybe he should be calling me. I don't hire men who have their mamas call for them."

Johnson85
06-06-2019, 12:41 PM
This is a valid point. My biggest beef with the Eli situation is that Archie got involved. Daddy had zero business being involved. Imagine interviewing a grown man for a grown man's job and their daddy came with them. Imagine that newly minted Engineer at MSU that you mention in your thread having his parents speak for him. Ain't no way I would hire him.

I used to have one woman (the same woman) call me every 3-4 months asking if we were hiring people for a certain maintenance position. She stated her son had experience and was looking for a job. Every time I told her "Ma'am, if your son wants a job, maybe he should be calling me. I don't hire men who have their mamas call for them."

I don't think that's exactly the same thing. Archie was more akin to an agent than a typical helicopter parent. From all accounts, he stayed out of their business at UT and UM. I think he was afraid Eli was about to have the same type of career he had, stuck playing for bad teams with dysfunctional management, and he wanted to prevent that. But I think the only reason he was involved rather than just letting the agent handle it is that it let him take a little bit of the heat for the decision rather than it all flowing to Eli and it allowed him to trade on some of the good will he had.

parabrave
06-06-2019, 01:29 PM

Kelly played in the USFL before going to the NFL

Tbonewannabe
06-06-2019, 02:16 PM
I don't think that's exactly the same thing. Archie was more akin to an agent than a typical helicopter parent. From all accounts, he stayed out of their business at UT and UM. I think he was afraid Eli was about to have the same type of career he had, stuck playing for bad teams with dysfunctional management, and he wanted to prevent that. But I think the only reason he was involved rather than just letting the agent handle it is that it let him take a little bit of the heat for the decision rather than it all flowing to Eli and it allowed him to trade on some of the good will he had.

I never thought of it like that and if that is how it went down then it was pretty crafty of them.

drunkernhelldawg
06-06-2019, 03:05 PM

Good point about Archie's experience. I didn't even think of that.

RougeDawg
06-06-2019, 11:25 PM
I think the Chargers ended up getting the overall better QB. Eli gets a lot of recognition for winning 2 Superbowls and he should but I am not sure Rivers doesn't win 2 with those defenses and WRs catching everything in a 10 foot circle. Several of the throws that won one of those Superbowls were barely catchable and it took a great play to make them. Eli was just chunking the ball up for grabs and the Giants WR came down with it every time.

Sounds just like the present day OM offense.

F*** Archie. He is the head of the snake and never catches any heat.

DancingRabbit
06-07-2019, 01:06 AM
OBJ clowning on Eli

After catching some passes from Baker:

“I have to get adjusted to the speed because he’s got an arm. He’s throwing that ball hard,” Beckham said, via Cleveland.com. “So just catching it from the first day I was like wow, this is completely different. It just takes time.”

starkvegasdawg
06-07-2019, 02:02 AM

Get your facts straight. This is ole miss. It's diddy. Not daddy.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-07-2019, 05:28 AM

I respectfully disagree. Eli had an agent. And while I agree about it letting Archie take some heat, it was not Archie's heat to take. Eli was a grown man interviewing for a grown man's job. He should take his own heat. I can assure you at my job that I take whatever heat comes with the territory, I don't ask mama or daddy to take it for me. And I would tell my mama or daddy to back off if they tried to get involved. They have nothing to do with my employment, or my employment decisions. I'm grown.