PDA

View Full Version : Be prepared

Five-tool Poster
10-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Be prepared for the student section tomorrow night.

Todd4State
10-23-2013, 08:59 PM
What? Are they actually going to stay this time?

Political Hack
10-23-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm prepared to see it crazy and rocking. it's Thursday night ESPN. national TV.

Five-tool Poster
10-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Quite the opposite.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2013, 09:04 PM
Awesome! Love how much our students bitch about our team, and then do nothing to help them out. Very hypocritical

Op4isabitch
10-23-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm looking around and there ain't a damn soul here...fricking lights aren't even on!

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2013, 09:07 PM
On this same subject, why does the SEC schedule home games on campuses that are on fall break?

If fall breaks are schedules a year in advance and the SEC is notably having attendance problems, why wouldn't the SEC do all they could do to make sure teams were on the road during their fall break?

Its' not like all the schools have the same weekend as fall break. The SEC should make sure teams are on the road that week.

Will James
10-23-2013, 09:11 PM
We should make a statement and tarp the damn student section for the rest of the season. No Bama or Egg Bowl as punishment for your garbage.

Or just allow anyone with SkyDeck tickets to get in and send all the students up top.

CadaverDawg
10-23-2013, 09:13 PM
We should make a statement and tarp the damn student section for the rest of the season. No Bama or Egg Bowl as punishment for your garbage.

Or just allow anyone with SkyDeck tickets to get in and send all the students up top.

Haha, what if there was a tarp with the logo on it over the student section tomorrow night. That would be classic

CadaverDawg
10-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Quite the opposite.

And what exactly would them not showing up prove? I seriously want to know what message they/you are trying to get across by having an empty student section on national TV?

I would hope our students have more pride than to do that

Jacksondevildog
10-23-2013, 09:14 PM
If that's the case, Stricklin needs to be handing out tickets at will call for a discount for fans that want to be there.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2013, 09:20 PM
If that's the case, Stricklin needs to be handing out tickets at will call for a discount for fans that want to be there.

I suspect the rest of the stadium will be relatively full. Our alumni actually have done a pretty good job of showing up to games and filling the stadium till the end of the 4th quarter. Even in all the pictures of the Bowling Green student section, the rest of the stadium outside of the students, was pretty full.

I kinda like setting our expectations for the student section low for tomorrow night. That way, if its moderately full, then we will be pleasantly surprised.

I think what we forget is that many students have family that come to the games, and those students will probably be there.

chef dixon
10-23-2013, 09:26 PM
I just can't jump on board with the whole get mad at the student section train. If the product is good, people stay, its not an MSU thing, its a human nature thing.

ShotgunDawg
10-23-2013, 09:28 PM
I just can't jump on board with the whole get mad at the student section train. If the product is good, people stay, its not an MSU thing, its a human nature thing.

LSU had 15,000 empty seats against Florida. Many of them in their student section. There product doesn't suck. Our students are watching some of the best football in the history of our school. If this isn't good enough to get them to stick around, then they must really hate football.

CadaverDawg
10-23-2013, 09:29 PM

I'm as hard on the team as anybody...but it's not like we are 0-6. There is zero reason for the students not to show up for a Nationally Televised SEC game. That would be pathetic and they would just be setting themselves up for some serious ridicule, and hopefully worse seats in the future

bluelightstar
10-23-2013, 10:19 PM
LSU had 15,000 empty seats against Florida. Many of them in their student section. There product doesn't suck. Our students are watching some of the best football in the history of our school. If this isn't good enough to get them to stick around, then they must really hate football.

Our students haven't watched football in the history of the school. It's not very good football to them relative to what they watch now. Hell, it's not very good football to me either.

bluelightstar
10-23-2013, 10:21 PM
But yes, it will be very empty. 5,000 students max.

Dallas_Dawg
10-23-2013, 10:29 PM
They should give out tickets to high school kids to sit in the student section. They would eat that shit up and maybe even help future enrollment. They would be loud and rowdy

bulldawg28
10-24-2013, 02:09 AM
Our students haven't watched football in the history of the school. It's not very good football to them relative to what they watch now. Hell, it's not very good football to me either.

Your statement is contradictory. They haven't watched football but it's not good compared to what they watch now.

BulldogBear
10-24-2013, 06:26 AM
Ugghhh... like Inigo Montoya, "I hate waiting." One thing that Turdsday game leave to be desired for me is that I work 0400-1230 and it goes by so slow waiting to get off so I can leave for Starkpatch. The other is there's no game or anything to listen to on the way up. It'll be the Dick and Matty show keeping me company.

DCdawg
10-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Im a student and I'll be there, but I don't think the student section will be full by any means. Keep this in mind: fall break gives people a 4 day weekend. If you lived far enough away that you haven't gotten to go home and see family all semester, you would probably go too. There are many students from Texas, for instance, that this probably will happen to. Those students who live 2 hours away and just don't care are the ones who need to be penalized.

AlSwearengen
10-24-2013, 07:59 AM
Awesome! Love how much our students bitch about our team, and then do nothing to help them out. Very hypocritical

I'm starting to wonder about Mississippi State, from top to bottom. There needs to be an extensive psychological study on everyone associated with MSU to figure out what the problem is.

PMDawg
10-24-2013, 08:13 AM

That's a lie. When I was there, we went into the stadium two hours early to get good seats and the student section stayed full the entire game. At least until the wheels fell off the Jackie train. The only people leaving early were the frat boys.

bluelightstar
10-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Your statement is contradictory. They haven't watched football but it's not good compared to what they watch now.

Wrong, I'm saying you can't tell the students: "this is much better football than what we played forty years ago." They're comparing it to what they watch today. and it's not very good in that frame of reference.

bluelightstar
10-24-2013, 08:25 AM
That's a lie. When I was there, we went into the stadium two hours early to get good seats and the student section stayed full the entire game. At least until the wheels fell off the Jackie train. The only people leaving early were the frat boys.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm saying today's students aren't comparing 2013 MSU football to 1976 MSU football. They're comparing 2013 MSU Football to the rest of the 2013 SEC, and are leaving unimpressed. Yes, that is how TODAY'S students think and I don't really see a huge problem with that thought.

LiterallyPolice
10-24-2013, 08:47 AM

So in other words the stadium stayed full when we were beating good teams and competing for the west? Surprise surprise.

Everyone blaming this on the students is wack. It's not generational. It's not because you and your peers were superior. News Flash: when you are dealing with a group of thousands of people, it's useless to analyze the thoughts and mindsets of individual people. Groups act somewhat predictably. And a group of 6,000 people today is going to act very similarly to a group of people 100 yrs ago.

The bottom line is that our football games are boring and have been for the past couple of years. I won't say our "product is bad"... I think our team is a pretty good team. The problem is the nature of the games we play:

1.) We blow out an inferior opponent - Boring
2.) We squeak by an inferior opponent - Infuriating
3.) We get blown out by a superior opponent - Depressing

Our team may be a decent team, but the games themselves are generally predictable and don't really elicit any type of positive emotion (excitement in a close game; joy of beating a quality team). When games are less fun, less people show up. It's that simple.

Add to the fact that events OUTSIDE the stadium have improved so much in the last 7 - 8 yrs. Tailgating is WAY more awesome at MSU now. Once again, groups act predictably... if there are better alternatives to being at the game, the group at the game dwindles.

... ESPECIALLY on a thursday night game over fall break. Kids are skipping a somewhat meaningless game to see their families.... and we criticize.

/rant (and PMDawg - this obviously turned into a generic rant, not specifically aimed at you or your comment).

notsofarawaydawg
10-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Saban says (http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/saban-tells-fans-stay-for-the-entire-game/)

BulldogBear
10-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Probably in average student's mind - Uninteresting football < poon

chef dixon
10-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Probably in average student's mind - Uninteresting football < poon

Yea can't hate on that. Unless you've already been tagging it for a while, its gonna take some really good football to reverse that trend.

Coach34
10-24-2013, 10:38 AM
. Our students are watching some of the best football in the history of our school. If this isn't good enough to get them to stick around, then they must really hate football.

No shit- some of us had to sit there and watch us go 1-10 and 4-7 before we hired Jackie

fishwater99
10-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Be prepared for the student section tomorrow night.

I agree it's fall break.. I would be at hunting camp if I was still in school..

Anyone bitching about the small student crowd is an idiot..

If you want to bitch, try the SEC for their bad scheduling.... Did they even ask if we had a fall break, I never got one...

Jack Lambert
10-24-2013, 11:29 AM

They care more about leg, beer and party more then football. Ten years from now when their hair is falling out, they are 25 pounds over weight and have two kids football will become important to them. Why can't anyone grasp that?

ShotgunDawg
10-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I agree it's fall break.. I would be at hunting camp if I was still in school..

Anyone bitching about the small student crowd is an idiot..

If you want to bitch, try the SEC for their bad scheduling.... Did they even ask if we had a fall break, I never got one...

I agree with this, don't understand why the SEC can't schedule teams to be on the road during fall breaks. Surely, all 14 SEC schools don't have fall break on the same weekend.

With recent attendance problems, I would think the SEC would be more than willing to look into this.