PDA

View Full Version : The 2019 football season is setting up to be a very interesting one for the Dawgs...

DeviousDawg
06-04-2019, 02:53 PM
I'm not gonna lie, if you asked me in mid February how I felt about the 2019 football season, I probably would've told you I just hope we could keep our bowl streak going. The way the 2018 football season ended put a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm sure everyone else can agree. Then after signing day, it felt like we missed on a huge opportunity to grab momentum back, and sign one of those kind of classes that gives you the potential to compete for championships 3-4 years down the road. We had two obvious immediate needs in DT and WR that we were hoping would be addressed with JUCO signees. It just had the feel of a program that blew a shot at a 10 win season with an outside shot at a playoff appearance, and then blows a chance to sign the best class in program history because of a historically talented pool of Mississippi high school recruits. There is no denying it, it had the look of a program on the decline. Then spring ball rolls around, and it's obvious our defense is going to be good again if we can have a few interior D-lineman step up next year. However, spring ball also proved that KT is not ready to be the signal caller in JoMo's offense. The spring game was just hard to watch, for multiple reasons. All in all, when Spring Training was over, there was a feeling of complete unexcitement and uninterest that hasn't been felt in Starkville for the better part of a decade.

Fast forward to today and now the 2019 team has a certain buzz around it, new found interest and an opportunity for a special season. No, a couple transfers can't make a 5 win team a 10 win team, but they may be worth another win or two, especially when they are QB1 and his #1 target. I feel like a combination of things in the above paragraph made us think that the team we had for 2019(prior to transfers) was worse than it actually was, that bad taste in our mouth made everything else taste worse than it actually does. Our schedule is one that gives us an opportunity, and JoMo brought in some guys that will give us a better chance to take that opportunity.

Let's do an exercise... Forget last year ever happened, and only think about these things:

JoMo's offense has been elite everywhere he has been, when he has had the guys he needed to execute the scheme.
State was 4-2 against the SEC west last year, only losing on the road to LSU and Alabama, and only gave up an average of 21.5 points per game in those games, on the road, yes, We lost 3 1st rounders from the D but we still have a ton of talent.
State has an absolute stud at RB, the type guy that can take over a game, something we haven't had in a long time. He has the ability to make big game changing plays against any D in college football. Not to mention the fact that Defenses must respect him, which will open up the passing lanes just a little more.
State's back 7 will be one of the best in the country and we will have great defensive ends, the passing defense will be just as good or better than last year's, so we will be able to load the box comfortably to help stop the running game and help cover up our one weakness, the interior D-line. We are bringing in the Louisville DT transfer, and he will be immediately eligible, hopefully he can contribute, or some of the redshirt and/or true freshman are ready to contribute in the interior D-line. I feel we will have a few guys step up, and this hole will need be as big of a problem we thought it would be.
This is year 2 now for JoMo's system, everyone will be more comfortable and you will start to see players just playing, rather than thinking. This is something many people don't mention but it is a big deal. This is also year 2 for Shoop's system, and the first time in a while that we return the same offensive and defensive schemes from the previous year. This matters.
State get's a big time punter grad transfer, and this really is a big deal, how many times did a weak punt follow 3 and out next year? That equation leads to the opposing offense starting in our territory, and sometimes already in field goal position. Better punter + better offense = worse average starting field position for opponents. This is another reason that I believe that the 2019 scoring defense will not be much worse than 2018's, and points is all that matters. The total defense(yardage against) will be noticeably worse than last year, but I think the scoring D will shock some people, top 20 in the country easily imo.
State get's a QB with 4 years in the JoMo offense, he's an athlete than can run, and also hit the deep ball with consistency. He's gonna be really good here and I think he will operate JoMo's offense how it is supposed to be ran. Yes, a Kelly Bryant may be more talented, but he also would have to learn a completely new offense, Stevens freaking athleticism and knowledge of the offense makes him just about the best grad transfer QB we could've asked for, the perfect storm.
State get's an actual threat at WR with grad transfer Isiah Zuber. All you have to do is watch the first few minutes of his highlights at KSU to realize that he is better than any Receiver we have had in a while. Crisp routes, strong hands, agility and quickness needed to get open against man coverage, ability to go up and get the ball, understands coverages and can run the deep ball. This is so huge. Zuber and Stevens have turned next season into one of disinterest, to one of intriguing potential.
Stephen Guidry will be a year older, and a year wiser. Another offseason, spring, summer and pre season under his belt will do wonders for him, both mentally and physically. He will have a better understanding of the offense and I look for him to really have a breakout year. The addition of Zuber just takes some pressure off of him, and will make things easier for both Zuber and Guidry. This duo could be the best we have had in a while. If Stevens and Kylin Hill have the kind of year I think they will, this offense could not only be much better than last year, but also be one of the top 5 offenses in the SEC, and if that's the case, watch out.

Let's look at the schedule, the 2 bye weeks break it into 3 stretches, so lets look at it that way:

1st stretch:

8/31 - vs ULL (Superdome)
9/07 - vs Southern Miss
9/14 - vs Kansas State
9/21 - vs Kentucky
9/28 - @ Auburn

I love the way the first stretch sets up, we open in the Superdome against a team we should cruise against in ULL, easy win and then we head back to Starkville for a 3 game home stretch, with each game progressively presenting more of a challenge. Easy win vs USM, then we get Kansas State, who we should shut down defensively, and get to test our offense for the first time after 2 easy games of polishing and creating chemistry. We cruise through Kansas State. Then we finish up the home stretch in a revenge game against a Kentucky team that will be a shell of what they were last year. I think this is the game where we really see the JoMo offense click for the first time, and we absolutely embarrass Kentucky, and create a confidence and swagger about the team as we start to show what we could be this year. Then we close out the 1st stretch with our first real road game @ Auburn. We will have an off week following this game, so we will go all out. Auburn will have a freshman QB out there, and we get them early in the season, too early for the freshman QB to have really gotten comfortable in Malzahn's offense. We will be 4-0, confident, and clicking on all cylinders. I'm not saying we will win this game, but we damn sure can. Jump on them quick, put pressure on the QB and force turnovers, and we could get out of Jordan Hare with a fairly easy win. Go home, rest up during the Bye week, and continue to polish the offense while getting ready for what will be a tough, but manageable 2nd stretch of the season.

Worst Case- 3-2
Best Case- 5-0
Most probable- 4-1

2nd stretch:

10/05 - BYE
10/12 - @ Tennessee
10/19 - vs LSU
10/26 - @ TAMU
11/02 - @ Arkansas

This 4 game SEC stretch includes 3 road games, however, the 1 game at home will be against the best of the 4 teams. Schedule wise, this works out perfectly. We start at Tennessee, if all has gone well to this point, the offense will be confident and working, and the D will be what we expect to be, strong. We will not be intimidated by UT, and will almost certainly be the favorite on paper. I like this matchup because we should be able to score on their D, and our D should be able to stop their offense, great matchup, but it is on the road. This is similar to the Auburn game in that we need a good start, but we don't HAVE to have it because our offense will be able to score on their D. As long as we don't have mental lapses on D, giving up big plays, and don't turn the ball over multiple times on offense, we win this one. Then we get LSU at home, and Davis Wade will be 17in rocking. Shoop showed that he knows how to completely shut down their offense, and they will be breaking in a new QB as well, if we can slow their run game, and have some big plays on offense, we can win this game without any luck. If you are conceding this one you don't have anything in your pants, we have played them really well the last 5 years or so, and we are not scared, and we get them at home. This would be a huge win, but a loss doesn't end the season. Then we go to College Station and face a TAMU team that we have beaten 3 times in a row, and 4 out of 5. It's gonna be a tough one, but we will not be intimidated. Just like the LSU game, I'm not saying we will win this game, but we damn sure can. Then we finish the 2nd stretch out on the road at Fayetville against an Arkansas team that will still be at the beginning stages of a rebuild. We have a bye week following this game so we will not be looking ahead to anything. If we just stay focused and don't beat ourselves, it should be another easy win against UPIG. Then we head home and rest up during the 2nd bye week, and get ready for the final 3 game stretch, which are all at home.

Worst Case- 1-3
Best Case- 4-0
Most probable- 2-2 (but I'd put the o/u for wins at 2.5... 3-1 is more than possible)

3rd Stretch:

11/09 - BYE
11/16 - vs Alabama
11/23 - vs Abilene Christian
11/28 - vs Ole Miss

The final stretch, and just like the 1st and the 2nd, is perfectly scheduled. We get the bye week to rest up after a physically grueling 2nd stretch, and also prepare to take the Giant that is Alabama and Nick Saban. Last time we had them at home, we had them beat and let it slip away, this team could be just as good as that 2017 team. If Tua is injured, we could really give them a battle, if not, still an outside chance. Shoop found the formula to shut them down last year, and we get them at home this year. If our offense isn't just improved, but actually dangerous, who knows what could happen here. By no means am I expecting a win, let's get that straight, but we are due, and anything could happen. Then we get Abilene Christian at home for homecoming, which will be a glorified scrimmage and by all intents and purposes, a third by week, which is great because the next week is a short week as we get Ole Miss at home on Thanksgiving to end the season. We will thump Ole Miss like a drum, embarrass them and never take the foot off the gas. I'm thinking an easy 20+ point win, they just don't match up well against us, and talent wise they are just gonna be bad.

Worst Case- 2-1
Best Case- 3-0
Most Probable- 2-1

Putting it all together:

Worst Case- (6-6)
Best Case- (12-0)
Most Probable- (8-4), but I'm setting the O/U at 8.5 with (9-3) and a NY6 bowl being possible.

Like I said, this season is setting up to be very interesting. Best schedule we have had, maybe ever. I love the way the schedule breaks up, and the home and away matchups work out perfectly to set up the perfect storm. The potential is there for a big year, maybe even huge year. One thing is certain, this year will tell the tale on JoMo, but whatever does happen, he has given himself and our team the opportunity for a potentially wild ride of a season.

Liverpooldawg
06-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Anything above 6-6 is gravy. Too many holes relying on unknown quantities in the SEC.

Choctaw Dawg
06-04-2019, 03:22 PM
I might all come down to receivers and if the quarterback is competent enough to get the ball to them. Oregon fans on reddit have been extremely curious as to why we would hire away the receiving coach at their university considering how many of the players their ended up badmouthing his coaching ability after he left the program. Apparently he was not well liked up in Eugene.

DancingRabbit
06-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Good post Devious and I mostly agree with your breakdown.

There is a bye in there, but we do have 4 away games in a 5 SEC game stretch. That stretch will likely determine how we view the season. If we could start that stretch with a win at Auburn, look out. If we go into Knoxville 4-1 then that becomes a pretty pivotal game. We need the Vol win to get to 8 wins, and we need an LSU or aTm win to get to 9.

Cooterpoot
06-04-2019, 03:47 PM
I see the same thing I saw months ago: 6-8 wins

Tbonewannabe
06-04-2019, 03:52 PM
I think the potential is there with the way the schedule sets up but Stevens, Zuber, and the DT Allen are going to have to surprise me if we win more than 8 games. I still think 6 is the floor and 9 is the ceiling with 7 - 8 being probable.

DeviousDawg
06-04-2019, 03:56 PM
In our 4 SEC losses (Bama, LSU, UF, Kentucky), on offense we averaged 208 total yards and 4 points.
In our 2 wins against TAMU and Auburn, on offense we averaged 401 total yards and 26 points.
In our 2 wins against Arkansas and Ole Miss, on offense we averaged 448 total yards and 44 points.

This tells me that our offense was really bad, but that it was good enough to thump Arkansas and Ole Miss, and beat TAMU and Auburn. I would put this year's Kentucky team and Tennessee in a group between TAMU/Auburn and Arky/Ole Miss. Our Defense will be worse than last years, but it will still be really good. Our offense will be better than last year, how much better, we don't know, but atleast a little better, and at most, a lot better. So overall it's a push, IF our offense ends up improving noticeably, so that's what it will come down to, and I think Morehead has made moves to make that happen, now we just have to execute. A worse offense, but better offense, still gives us a good chance to beat TAMU, Auburn, UK and UT, and smash Arky and Ole Miss. However, a worse defense, but better offense might give up a few more points to to LSU and Bama, but a better offense gives us a chance to put points on the board, and you can't win without points on the board.

The question's are:
Is are defense still really good, just a step below elite?
Was it all bc of our personell, or is Shoop a really good coach, and can make a good defense, an elite defense?
Will the combo of a better offense and better punter, therefore worse field position for opponents, make this years defense look closer to last years than they actually are?
How much better will our offense be, can it be a top 5-7 offense in the SEC?
Will Stevens just step in and have no adjustment period? We know he can run, but will he be able to make the tight throws and quick decisions Fitz was incapable of doing?
Will JoMo let Kylin eat? Will he give him 20+ carries per game and give him a chance to hit the home runs we know he is capable of? A passing game will help with this.
Will Zuber be able to pick up on JoMo's system quickly and be an impact player?
How improved will Guidry be, will he take the next step and stretch the field for us?
Will we utilize our talent at Tight End position?

Answer all these questions with "yes" and you are looking at a magical season. A lot has to go right, I know, but it is all possible, it's just up to JoMo to make it happen. Even if just half of those answers are yes, we will have a dangerous team that will be much better than most expected.

BrunswickDawg
06-04-2019, 04:04 PM
I think your comments about our RB is something people are missing. Kylin, Gibson, and Stevens give us the ability to replace the rushing production we had last year - but distributed more normally. Kylin can replace Fitz's rushing (1,100+ yards), Gibson can replace Kylin's production (700+ yards), and Stevens could easily replace Aeris (500+ yards). With Stevens and Zuber, we have what was missing in Fitz - a passing game. If all they do is get us production wise to what Fitz had in '16 (2,400+ passing yards - 700 more yards than either "17 or '18) we have made a huge gain that puts us in position to compete as a much more complete and competent offense. And that's not even calling for Stevens to produce at a level that Joe's offense produced at Penn State (3400-3500 yards passing for McSorley) - it's calling for him to perform like an average SEC QB.

Skydawg1
06-04-2019, 04:27 PM
LSU won't be breaking in a new QB. Burrow will be back. And you stated (paraphrasing) "2 transfers don't make a 5 win team a 10 win team". That very scenario got LSU to 10 wins last year, with Burrow and the Kicker that killed us. Just sayin'. Hope we can have the same success they had with the transfers.

Ari Gold
06-04-2019, 06:14 PM
Anything above 6-6 is gravy. Too many holes relying on unknown quantities in the SEC.

The only glaring hole is DT ... Jeffery Simmons can’t be replaced period.. but we have some young cats, let’s see how they do
Chauncey Rivers isn’t the pass rusher or as athletic as Tez, but he was unblockable last year in practice he will be a pro and we get Marquis Spencer back
Abram was Dawg and a throwback football player, but Cole is a pro and more athletic. And throw in Landrews, Murphy, CJ and Peters (juco) that’s a big time backend
And we have a possible 1st or 2nd round CB in Dantzler. Also Smitherman is a very solid CB I expect a big year from him since we finally have him at CB his best position.
The Offense will be better.

It’s never going to be automatic we win 8+ games at State , the SEC is too talented top to bottom, but this team won’t take a huge step back like some think
I actually like it better than the 2018 team with Stevens as the guy..
I expect a huge year from KHill... who’s to say his lack of carries were more of a Fitz trying to get his more so than letting KHill eat.
Also Moorhead has a year under his belt and Shoop back is a huge deal

Homedawg
06-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Great units are ALWAYS because of personnel. Then followed w good coaching. But wo great personnel, you can't be elite. Period. Shoop did a great job last year. If he finished inside the top 30 this year it willl be close to the same.

msu15
06-04-2019, 06:26 PM
9-3

TaleofTwoDogs
06-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Of course, the one thing you can't measure is team chemistry and attitude. Will they be playing to win or not to lose? Makes all the difference in the world and whether we go 6-6 or 9-3.

Coach34
06-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Good post Finkle.

We have some really good pieces but some rough achilles heel parts. I think we are a 7-8 win team that could steal an LSU win for a 9th if we get lucky. But thats it. 6-6 wouldnt surpise- but 8-4 is a good year. Gonna lose alot of talent again after this season. But I'm very happy with the effort of the coaching staff this offseason with the transfer portal.

2020 is of great concern with the program. 2020 becomes 100% JoMo's program.

bulldawg28
06-04-2019, 09:18 PM
If Hill will be better in the passing game that will make the passing game go. I know he wants he ball but he was not interested in blocking at all. Teams bringing pressure with the LB's up the middle like a Bama or LSU could cause problems.

DancingRabbit
06-04-2019, 10:33 PM
Good post Finkle.

We have some really good pieces but some rough achilles heel parts. I think we are a 7-8 win team that could steal an LSU win for a 9th if we get lucky. But thats it. 6-6 wouldnt surpise- but 8-4 is a good year. Gonna lose alot of talent again after this season. But I'm very happy with the effort of the coaching staff this offseason with the transfer portal.

I thought we were a 6 win team and Joe sucked balls.

Todd4State
06-04-2019, 11:00 PM
Good post Finkle.

It looks like we are recruiting a ton of JUCO's and I wouldn't be surprised if we hit the transfer portal hard again next year based on this year.

Hopefully the JUCO's we pick up are 1998 caliber and not 2001 Arizona Western caliber.

Todd4State
06-04-2019, 11:20 PM
In our 4 SEC losses (Bama, LSU, UF, Kentucky), on offense we averaged 208 total yards and 4 points.
In our 2 wins against TAMU and Auburn, on offense we averaged 401 total yards and 26 points.
In our 2 wins against Arkansas and Ole Miss, on offense we averaged 448 total yards and 44 points.

This tells me that our offense was really bad, but that it was good enough to thump Arkansas and Ole Miss, and beat TAMU and Auburn. I would put this year's Kentucky team and Tennessee in a group between TAMU/Auburn and Arky/Ole Miss. Our Defense will be worse than last years, but it will still be really good. Our offense will be better than last year, how much better, we don't know, but atleast a little better, and at most, a lot better. So overall it's a push, IF our offense ends up improving noticeably, so that's what it will come down to, and I think Morehead has made moves to make that happen, now we just have to execute. A worse offense, but better offense, still gives us a good chance to beat TAMU, Auburn, UK and UT, and smash Arky and Ole Miss. However, a worse defense, but better offense might give up a few more points to to LSU and Bama, but a better offense gives us a chance to put points on the board, and you can't win without points on the board.

The question's are:
Is are defense still really good, just a step below elite?
Was it all bc of our personell, or is Shoop a really good coach, and can make a good defense, an elite defense?
Will the combo of a better offense and better punter, therefore worse field position for opponents, make this years defense look closer to last years than they actually are?
How much better will our offense be, can it be a top 5-7 offense in the SEC?
Will Stevens just step in and have no adjustment period? We know he can run, but will he be able to make the tight throws and quick decisions Fitz was incapable of doing?
Will JoMo let Kylin eat? Will he give him 20+ carries per game and give him a chance to hit the home runs we know he is capable of? A passing game will help with this.
Will Zuber be able to pick up on JoMo's system quickly and be an impact player?
How improved will Guidry be, will he take the next step and stretch the field for us?
Will we utilize our talent at Tight End position?

Answer all these questions with "yes" and you are looking at a magical season. A lot has to go right, I know, but it is all possible, it's just up to JoMo to make it happen. Even if just half of those answers are yes, we will have a dangerous team that will be much better than most expected.

I don't know the answers right now obviously. But I do think our defense will be solid. Which is a step down from special like last year. At least our DT's are seniors so that has to help. I hope they move Marquiss Spencer to DT if for no other reason than to get more talent on the field at the same time. Shoop has a positive track record everywhere except Tennessee so I feel like this year will be more about what he can do as a coach scheme wise. But I feel confident that he can scheme around some things like he did when he was at Vanderbilt.

I think you're spot on about focusing on special teams. It seemed like when our defense gave up a touchdown it was on a short field after a turnover usually or sometimes bad field position. Getting good field position and winning that battle helps us especially when we are playing LSU or Alabama. Dan never seemed to understand this and it hurt us a lot with our bend and break defense. Also it makes it more likely that we get the ball back in good field position for the offense. Zuber will also help in the punt return game which also creates good field position.

I think Stevens will be fine. His completion percentage is encouraging to me in that regard. I doubt Kylin will get 20+ carries for us though. I'm guessing that he will get more like 12-15 a game but with 2-3 receptions as well. I don't have a lot of confidence in Guidry. He just seems lazy to me. Maybe Zuber will push him. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we start Zuber over him and go with Osirus and Deddrick as the other two WR's.

One thing I am really encouraged about is the fact that we are going to be starting juniors and seniors at pretty much every position and while we have some freshmen that may be able to come in and make an impact right away in most cases it's a luxury rather than a need. The only spot that I would say is the exception is maybe Nathan Pickering at DT. But we can ask guys like Jarrian Jones and Charles Cross to be role players or develop them as redshirts and if we are fortunate and they are ready to make an impact we can put them out there too.

QB- Senior with the back up being a third year junior
RB- Junior and senior with a JUCO wild card coming in who if he can make an impact it would change our season greatly. No guarantee though.
WR- Either three seniors or two seniors and a junior depending on whether Mitchell starts or not which I think he probably will.
TE- Senior
OL- Three seniors and two juniors not to mention one former starter who is a junior is a top back up at OT. Even more important- these guys are in their proper projected positions which will help the offense as well. Also for the first time in a while no walk-ons projected in the two deep.

DL- Three seniors and a junior.
LB- Two juniors who could go pro early and a senior.
CB- A junior who could go pro early and a senior. Both were rated very highly analytically by the pro football analytical services.
S- Two seniors and a junior.

K- Junior who is a veteran.
P- Senior
KR/PR- Depends on who we use but will likely be seniors like Zuber, Malik Dear, or Deddrick Thomas.

DancingRabbit
06-05-2019, 12:07 AM
Joe's 2 years at PSU, Saquon got 240+ carries a year. McSorley got 140 a year. Not a lot of rushes except RB1 and QB1.

Kylin is going to get 15-20 carries a game, plus 3-4 targets. He's our best playmaker. If he stays healthy he will put up some good numbers.

Todd4State
06-05-2019, 01:16 AM
Joe's 2 years at PSU, Saquon got 240+ carries a year. McSorley got 140 a year. Not a lot of rushes except RB1 and QB1.

Kylin is going to get 15-20 carries a game, plus 3-4 targets. He's our best playmaker. If he stays healthy he will put up some good numbers.

That's true. But Aeris and Kylin essentially split carries at RB last year so we'll see how it goes this year.

Jarius
06-05-2019, 02:55 AM
That's true. But Aeris and Kylin essentially split carries at RB last year so we'll see how it goes this year.

The only reason they split carries last year was because Kylin was injured. When Kylin was healthy, Aeris didn't play much at all.

99jc
06-05-2019, 05:43 AM
The only reason they split carries last year was because Kylin was injured. When Kylin was healthy, Aeris didn't play much at all.

Moorhead = New haircut ....same dead offense. If you think 9 months turns this team into a 9 win team with what we lost on defense your smoking Crack.

Jarius
06-05-2019, 05:49 AM
Moorhead = New haircut ....same dead offense. If you think 9 months turns this team into a 9 win team with what we lost on defense your smoking Crack.

I have no idea why you quoted the post you did and made that smartass comment because it doesn't make any sense to what I said, but happy Wednesday.

99jc
06-05-2019, 06:12 AM
I have no idea why you quoted the post you did and made that smartass comment because it doesn't make any sense to what I said, but happy Wednesday.

Was not directed at you just a general observation from starting thread novel post.

timotheus
06-05-2019, 07:05 AM
So then 99c, please tell us how the QB battle will unfold over the summer and into the fall. Smokin crack is bad tho dude......

Jarius
06-05-2019, 07:12 AM
Was not directed at you just a general observation from starting thread novel post.

Ok well quoting someone's post makes them think it is directed at them.

Covercorner2
06-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Good post Finkle.

If we can find a RB in 2020 we should be OK. All QBs return, aside from Stevens. OL will be loaded (Cross, Eiland, Reese, Sharp, Johnson, etc.). Will still have Mitchell, Whop, and newcomers at WR plus all of our TEs aside from Green.

DL loses Rivers, Autry and Adams, but brings back Kobe Jones, Pickering, Crumedy, Lovett, Spencer, King Ani, Odom, Demonte Russell, etc.). LB will be great again if Gay and Thompson return, but have guys like Brule, Watson, Johnson waiting in the wings. At corner, Dantzler may return. And at safety, you have Murphy, Morgan, Peters.

Not a great team, but I don't see any huge weaknesses aside from RB. We should also be very good upfront on both sides. We need the draft to work in our favor, though, but guys like Errol Thompson are probably better college players than NFL players. Dantzler is also a lot like Greedy Williams, who slipped to the middle of the second round due to size.

RezDog7
06-05-2019, 08:45 AM

It's you're

BrunswickDawg
06-05-2019, 08:49 AM
If we can find a RB in 2020 we should be OK. All QBs return, aside from Stevens. OL will be loaded (Cross, Eiland, Reese, Sharp, Johnson, etc.). Will still have Mitchell, Whop, and newcomers at WR plus all of our TEs aside from Green.

DL loses Rivers, Autry and Adams, but brings back Kobe Jones, Pickering, Crumedy, Lovett, Spencer, King Ani, Odom, Demonte Russell, etc.). LB will be great again if Gay and Thompson return, but have guys like Brule, Watson, Johnson waiting in the wings. At corner, Dantzler may return. And at safety, you have Murphy, Morgan, Peters.

Not a great team, but I don't see any huge weaknesses aside from RB. We should also be very good upfront on both sides. We need the draft to work in our favor, though, but guys like Errol Thompson are probably better college players than NFL players. Dantzler is also a lot like Greedy Williams, who slipped to the middle of the second round due to size.

I think the point is that what we have will be young, and overall we should be prepared for 2020 to be a down year - likely 5-7/6-6/7-5 as more of a certainty then what we have this year.
Our OOC is a bit of an unknown with New Mexico, at NCST, Tulane, and Alabama A&M. We have MO at home for our East cycle. Bama, UK, LSU, OM all on the road with Auburn, Ark, A&M at home. We could be looking at only 3 OOC wins (NCST is a wild card) and getting to 3 SEC wins depends on how MO, UK, OM, and Arkansas progress. It's way too early to get a read on.

TrapGame
06-05-2019, 09:51 AM

You hate Moorhead worse than AIDS. We get it.

And if you can't see the positives going into next season you're smoking crack.

BuckyIsAB****
06-05-2019, 05:28 PM
USM will be the best non conf team we play this year. I expect them to be very good defensively

99jc
06-05-2019, 07:26 PM
You hate Moorhead worse than AIDS. We get it.

And if you can't see the positives going into next season you're smoking crack.

No I don't hate Moorhead. But I do hate his offensive philosophy. He had one of the best running backs in the last 20 years in Barkley who covered up his bullshit play calling at Penn State. He is just lucky we had the #1 defense in the country last year who saved his ass. If he wins 8 games this season it will be a freaking miracle. It will be amazing to see what kind of excuses Moorhead supports pull out their Ass when he implodes this year.

Goldendawg
06-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Predictions are just fan opinions, but one thing that bothers me is those on here who won't be "mad" or would be satisfied with a 6-6 season in 2019 or in the future no matter who is the head coach. I have been going to State games since age 8 in 1963 and have seen a lot more bad than good but, State football has changed in my opinion. Four of our OOC games now are with teams without a pulse and if we indeed have built an SEC program and I believe we have, we win these games. The 4th OOC shouldn't even be a tossup. That's 4 wins ( of which some of the opponents are no longer worth the time and $ to drive to DWS and watch). This is also evidenced by the price of the OOC game tickets. Our family has been fortunate to have had season tickets 50 plus years and will be there in '19 no matter who we play but, 6-6 with 4 OOC victories means 2-6 in the SEC and I think that is complete failure for our program this year and all years forward. Hail State!