Round-17: None
Round-18: None
Round-19: None
--------------------------- After here, Risk is much lower
Round-20: None
Round-21: None
Round-22 to 32: None

Top Recruits with Draft Risk

C-Ethan Hearn (Drafted - Gone! Told the coaches and media)
RHP-Landon Sims
RHP-Jared Johnson (Drafted - Gone!)
C-Logan Tanner
RHP-Will Bednar
OF-Andre Tarver (Drafted - Gone! )

We are looking to keep some significant talented pitchers: Landon Sims, Logan Tanner, Will Bednar, KJ Hunt, and Davis Rokose. Big Time Good.

Note: Teams can pay above slot by paying other kids (college seniors) less also teams that lose a draft pick (kid decides to attend Vanderbilt on their infinite scholarship program) have extra money and motivation to pay above slot

The Federalist Engineer
06-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Entire Stanford Weekend Rotation is now Drafted, by 6th round

Colby White, 6th Round to Tampa Bay

Barlow, 16th Round to Rockies, maybe he will calm down and throw consistent strikes, he's drafted

Skelton, 18th Round

Cole Gordon, 32th Round to Mets

Tanner Allen, 34th Round to Rockies

ZedFedder
06-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Figured we would have a few signees drafted by now. Maybe we can slide by and get more in than we expected.

StarkVegasSteve
06-04-2019, 02:54 PM
If we could make it out of the next couple of rounds without Hearn going, we might have a shot at him. He might could start as a true freshman at C.

EDIT: Just went 6th round pick 192......probably gone

ZedFedder
06-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Losing Hearn doesn’t hurt too bad just because of the depth we have at catcher with Hayden Jones and Hancock. Also, is Logan Tanner going to pitch for us or be a catcher?

StarkVegasSteve
06-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Losing Hearn doesn’t hurt too bad just because of the depth we have at catcher with Hayden Jones and Hancock. Also, is Logan Tanner going to pitch for us or be a catcher?

If he makes it I'd think we'd make him a position player, 3B or C, but that's just my guess. IMO he has too much bat potential to take it away from him for him to pitch.

BankerDog
06-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Losing Hearn doesn?t hurt too bad just because of the depth we have at catcher with Hayden Jones and Hancock. Also, is Logan Tanner going to pitch for us or be a catcher?

Hearn has Austin Riley type power at the plate and a ridiculous pop time. He would be one of the best we?ve had.

ZedFedder
06-05-2019, 11:42 AM
Jake Randa selected in 13th round.

msstate7
06-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Hearn has Austin Riley type power at the plate and a ridiculous pop time. He would be one of the best we?ve had.

Austin Riley type power? Riley is a 70 grade on fangraphs in raw power

Tbonewannabe
06-05-2019, 11:59 AM
Austin Riley type power? Riley is a 70 grade on fangraphs in raw power

And that is too low. He is straight fire right now.

Homedawg
06-05-2019, 12:00 PM
And that is too low. He is straight fire right now.

so you think he's an 80 in power?????

Homedawg
06-05-2019, 12:00 PM
Johnson from smithville in the 14th and Tarver in 15th.....

Tbonewannabe
06-05-2019, 12:03 PM
so you think he's an 80 in power?????

It might be the Braves fan in me but maybe. Who has been rated that high?

Homedawg
06-05-2019, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=Tbonewannabe;1114804]It might be the Braves fan in me but maybe. Who has been rated that high?[/QUOTE
Jessie Barfield had an 80 arm, as did Bo Jackson and those are subjective. I know there have been a couple of 80 runners but I can't remember who. Point is, it's super super rare.

The Federalist Engineer
06-05-2019, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Tbonewannabe;1114804]It might be the Braves fan in me but maybe. Who has been rated that high?[/QUOTE
Jessie Barfield had an 80 arm, as did Bo Jackson and those are subjective. I know there have been a couple of 80 runners but I can't remember who. Point is, it's super super rare.

Larry Walker probably had a freak 80 arm. Dwight Evans of the Red Sox, another total freak

Tbonewannabe
06-05-2019, 12:21 PM
It might be the Braves fan in me but maybe. Who has been rated that high?

Just looked it up and Vlad Guerro Jr. had a 80 power rating. As of right now, I don't think he has more power than Riley. Riley is hitting 400 ft opposite field HRs. This is purely the MSU bias but I would put Renfroe at that mark also. He is hitting HRs at San Diego further than anyone ever has in that park.

jacksondawg
06-05-2019, 12:34 PM
Do Randa, Johnson, and Tarver sign or make it to school?

Todd4State
06-05-2019, 12:41 PM
Do Randa, Johnson, and Tarver sign or make it to school?

Tarver- no.

Johnson I'm thinking probably not now.

Randa was likely coming to school but most JUCO guys stated that high sign.

Not a good day for us as far as recruits IMO.

Homedawg
06-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Tarver- no.

Not great news but didn't get destroyed either. Possibly losing a guy that a month ago wasnt in our class and a Juco guy that was always a risk. All the arms that a year ago looked like potential losses appear to be safe so that's good!!

timotheus
06-05-2019, 01:25 PM
I waiting to see if Johnson still goes Juco and possibly is drafted higher after a year or 2.

KB21
06-05-2019, 01:34 PM
Tarver- no.

Looking at the rest of the Braves draft, they may have significant money to give Johnson. If he's willing to take around $500,000 to sign, he may get it. Not many of their other picks are above slot guys at all. Langeliers and Shewmake will both be below slot for first round picks. Beau Philip will be significantly below slot in the 2nd. Michael Harris is probably a slot or slightly above slot guy. Kalich is probably at or slightly above slot. Brandon Parker likely gets an above slot deal to sign. All in all, they will have money to spend. It makes me nervous.

Johnson85
06-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Entire Stanford Weekend Rotation is now Drafted, by 6th round

Our Colby White, 6th Round to Tampa Bay

Our Barlow, 16th Round to Rockies, maybe he will calm down and throw consistent strikes, he's drafted

Our Skelton, 18th Round

So getting drafted in the 16th round, will Barlow get any money?

I get that he's a RS JR and likely graduating and may just be ready to move on and either make it or not, but if he's not getting any money, and could potentially play a bigger role next year for us, I think I'd rather play SEC ball than do the minor league lifestyle for the next year. Guess it's easy to say until you have to start paying tuition for the privilege of playing.

ETA: also, does Barlow show a lot of potential that we have not been able to tap into? Just curious as you would think somebody that's not seeing a lot of time as a RS junior on a college team wouldn't be a likely candidate for making a pro team. Is he going in the 16th b/c that's the type of player that normally goes in the 16th round? Or is it players like him but have some type of measurable that scouts think could develop?

Tbonewannabe
06-05-2019, 01:49 PM

I get that he's a RS JR and likely graduating and may just be ready to move on and either make it or not, but if he's not getting any money, and could potentially play a bigger role next year for us, I think I'd rather play SEC ball than do the minor league lifestyle for the next year. Guess it's easy to say until you have to start paying tuition for the privilege of playing.

You also have to consider how MLB views age. I was reading an article talking about how high school kids are viewed different if they are 17 vs 18 or 19. I don't understand it but apparently some clubs are using data that points to getting them a year younger.

Homedawg
06-05-2019, 01:49 PM

The Federalist Engineer
06-05-2019, 01:58 PM
Tarver- no.

Randa seems like Halter, they know they will be drafted and their MLB fathers have expert guidance.

We have a solid and deep pitching class, I think we are still winners in 2019. We haven't seen this type of quality pitcher volume in 4 years.

Tbonewannabe
06-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Randa seems like Halter, they know they will be drafted and their MLB fathers have expert guidance.

We have a solid and deep pitching class, I think we are still winners in 2019. We haven't seen this type of quality pitcher volume in 4 years.

We need it. We lose Leibelt and Gordon next year and they are workhorses out of the pen.

The Federalist Engineer
06-05-2019, 03:39 PM

ETA: also, does Barlow show a lot of potential that we have not been able to tap into? Just curious as you would think somebody that's not seeing a lot of time as a RS junior on a college team wouldn't be a likely candidate for making a pro team. Is he going in the 16th b/c that's the type of player that normally goes in the 16th round? Or is it players like him but have some type of measurable that scouts think could develop?

This is a better Todd or Shotgun question. But our history is that Barlow will and should move on.

He is actually more than just a Junior, he's had a Freshman Redshirt and an Injury year. So, he may just want to move on to a new stage of life.

Homedawg
06-05-2019, 04:14 PM
We need it. We lose Leibelt and Gordon next year and they are workhorses out of the pen.

True, but someone else will step up. Just think a year ago April most people didn't want Cole near the mound and Liebelt was a guy holding the end of the pen down for mop up duty. A year later and one has been a post season savior, and the other has been solid all year.

basedog
06-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Keegan James 25th round

IngomarDawg
06-05-2019, 04:57 PM
I mean did I miss something or what? Why hasn’t Mac been drafted yet???

Todd4State
06-05-2019, 06:21 PM
This is a better Todd or Shotgun question. But our history is that Barlow will and should move on.

He is actually more than just a Junior, he's had a Freshman Redshirt and an Injury year. So, he may just want to move on to a new stage of life.

You're dead on here. He may have a degree- I don't know. But he definitely has been at MSU for four years and even if he comes back I can't see him improving his stock very much and no question he wouldn't make more money.

Todd4State
06-05-2019, 06:22 PM
True, but someone else will step up. Just think a year ago April most people didn't want Cole near the mound and Liebelt was a guy holding the end of the pen down for mop up duty. A year later and one has been a post season savior, and the other has been solid all year.

Jack Eagan if he doesn't go pro? He would be my early candidate. Maybe Self will rebound and maybe Price will step up and be 100% healthy.

Todd4State
06-05-2019, 06:31 PM
I mean did I miss something or what? Why hasn’t Mac been drafted yet???

I wish he had. He deserves to be. I think someone will sign him as a free agent without question.

Todd4State
06-05-2019, 06:34 PM

I agree that it could have been way worse. Landon Sims, Davis Rokose, KC Hunt, and Will Bednar were good pick ups for us. Kamren James will be a starter for us on the infield and could move to the outfield if we had to.

To me, losing Jared Johnson hurts the worst- he could have potentially become a first round pick.

AlSwearengen
06-05-2019, 06:47 PM
Todd, at one time Landon Sims was rated as the 35th prospect by perfect game. I think I remember you saying that he dropped b/c he lost some velocity. Do you have anymore knowledge about his situation? Before this season, I had him written off b/c he would have gone in the first 3 rounds most likely.

Todd4State
06-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Todd, at one time Landon Sims was rated as the 35th prospect by perfect game. I think I remember you saying that he dropped b/c he lost some velocity. Do you have anymore knowledge about his situation? Before this season, I had him written off b/c he would have gone in the first 3 rounds most likely.

He was kind of inconsistent this year. But I think he is a guy that could move up by going to college and be a top five round pick by coming to MSU.

ZedFedder
06-05-2019, 09:27 PM
I agree that it could have been way worse. Landon Sims, Davis Rokose, KC Hunt, and Will Bednar were good pick ups for us. Kamren James will be a starter for us on the infield and could move to the outfield if we had to.

To me, losing Jared Johnson hurts the worst- he could have potentially become a first round pick.

Agree. I think this class will be very good!

Johnson85
06-06-2019, 08:38 AM
You're dead on here. He may have a degree- I don't know. But he definitely has been at MSU for four years and even if he comes back I can't see him improving his stock very much and no question he wouldn't make more money.

I guess I wasn't clear about my question. I know he's not improving his stock by coming back. But what are the odds that a RS junior that has only worked his way into being a situational relief pitcher is going to make any money in the pros anyway? I know you have guys like Woodruff that make it after never really contributing in college b/c of injury or control issues they don't get worked out or whatever. But does Barlow have any measurables that make him look like a likely pro? Or is he basically in the same position as Cole Gordon last year, where he's probably not going to use his last year to set him up for a professional career, but can at least have fun for another year? Of course Barlow I guess could also come back and end up continuing to be a situational pitcher, which I guess maybe is not as appealing as coming back as the presumptive closer.

Tbonewannabe
06-06-2019, 09:18 AM
I guess I wasn't clear about my question. I know he's not improving his stock by coming back. But what are the odds that a RS junior that has only worked his way into being a situational relief pitcher is going to make any money in the pros anyway? I know you have guys like Woodruff that make it after never really contributing in college b/c of injury or control issues they don't get worked out or whatever. But does Barlow have any measurables that make him look like a likely pro? Or is he basically in the same position as Cole Gordon last year, where he's probably not going to use his last year to set him up for a professional career, but can at least have fun for another year? Of course Barlow I guess could also come back and end up continuing to be a situational pitcher, which I guess maybe is not as appealing as coming back as the presumptive closer.

I think Barlow has hit 94-95 some where Cole rarely hits 92, mostly 88-90 with his fastball. Cole is a better pitcher in college especially right now but Barlow has the tools to be a good lefty out of the pen. It boils down to if the signing bonus is enough to pass up one more year.