PDA

View Full Version : Stanford fan here..

StanfordBSB
06-04-2019, 01:32 AM
Stanford fan here..just wanted to drop by and say good luck this weekend.

As for our team, you can expect a pretty physical bunch headlined by some pop in the middle of the line up and steady defensive play. Our pitching is decent, no flame throwers but mostly strike throwers.

Going down the line up for Friday(or Thursday?)?

Stowers- 2nd Round Pick by the Orioles, 6'3 Lefty that can run a little bit. Hit 305 with 8 Bombs and 16 SB's this year. Won't strike out a ton and can put the ball to all fields. Truly is the best offensive talent on the team and the scouts think so.

Handley-Scrappy catcher, best defensive catcher in the pac 12 and probably a top 3 defensive catcher nationally. You really can't run on him..will back pick and exploit aggressiveness which might play into our advantage although I'm not sure they've seen MSU caliber speed yet. Can handle the bat(hit 2 HR's tonight) and puts together professional at bats. I've heard him being anywhere from a 10-15th round pick at this point.

Wulff- Big bad wulff can leave the yard at any point but is also a big swing and miss guy. If he leaves the yard 2-3 times this series, Stanford probably takes it, but I wouldn't count on it. Another guy who can go to all fields. Left the yard 19 times this year already. Pretty decent athlete for being 6'3 and 230+, reminds me of an SEC type first basemen. Another 10-20 round guy..maybe a tad higher if someone falls in love with him.

Daschbach- Pretty identical to Wulff but a better athlete. Had a chance to walk on to Stanford for football as well. 6'3 220 pound athlete that hit 15 HR's last year and 17 HR's this year. Solid defensively(all pac 12). Another draft guy(probably 10-20 rounder)

Kinnamon-Got hurt last year and missed most if not all of the season and still got drafted. Scrappy player who can run, stole him from the heart of Georgia where he was a perfect game all american. Decent defensively but makes some silly plays here and there. Tries to leave the yard a ton and hurts us, can strike out but a solid player none the less. Again, most scouts see him as a 20-30 round guy with his injury history.

Tawa- was pac 12 all freshman but struggled a lot this year, moved from 3B to SS for Hoerner who went in the 1st round to the cubs last year. Having a tough time defensively this year and at the dish, batting .230 last I checked. If he has a big series, a big if, Stanford probably has a chance but I'm not counting on it.

Bellafronto-Walk on turned surprise. Didn't play a ton his first 3 years on the farm and now is one of the Cards most reliable players. Every day 3rd basemen with surprising pop and solid defensively. Probably not a draft guy but gets the job done.

Robinson-6'4 centerfield that can run that we plucked out of Florida. Has not lived up the hype out of HS but has been money in the post season. You'd think he'd have more pop but he doesn't, however he's starting to come into his own. Another guy who could be a top 10 rounder in a year but he's got a long ways to go. Between him, tawa and bellafronto, all 3 need to have the series of their season to get to Omaha.

Mattheison- 6'7 DH, finalist for best two way player in the country. 12 HR's, long swing but has the most pop on the team. Probably a pitcher at the next level but he's been a nice surprise at the dish this year.

Pitching:

Beck- 87-91, Friday night guy, 3.5 ERA after being 8-0 as a freshman all american last year. Pounds the zone and moves quick. Great change up. Brother was Friday night guy for 3 years and got drafted by the Mets. Brendan will follow as another guy who will be taken next June. He's gonna give you 5-6 innings and leave the game with 1-3 runs on the board. All we ask from him.

Mattheison- 89-92 at 6'7. Pretty good slider and offspeed but not super overpowering. Again, fills up the zone and does what Esquer and CO ask of him. I see him starting Game 2.

Miller- Best stuff on the team, lefty, 6'5 230 Pounds out of STL. Scouts see him being a top 5 rounder at this point. Struggled with command first two seasons on the farm but put it together this year. 112 strikeouts. Again, game 3 starter if they get there or maybe start him game 2 depending on what happens Game 1. If he has a big game, Stanford takes the super, but he could also be the guy who goes 3 innings and gives up 6-7. You just never know..

Bullpen:

Grech-sidewinding righty, 86-90. Strike thrower. Nothing else to him. Used a lot this year.
Palish-tall lefty out of Texas. 86-90. Inconsistent. Hold my breath every time out.
Weirmiller- 88-92 lefty out of Georgia. Will be in the rotation next year. Consistent strike thrower. Really like him.
Alex Williams- Freshman 88-92, heavy fastball and strike thrower again. Sunday starter next year. Will be relied on a lot as a freshman this weekend. Composed.
Jensen-Freshman-mid week guy. 87-90, good change up but probably won't throw a ton this weekend.

Little-one of the best closers in America-top 10 round talent. 89-94 on the fastball but long arm action. Can be run on. A little scary at times this year as he was shut down last year. Ability to go 2+ innings Game 1 and come back next game is not out of the question. Used to be a starter and could be one at the next level.

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any questions you might have and go a bit more in depth.

I'm not holding my breath on a lot of what if's above, I think MSU takes this series but I could see Stanford stealing a game.

Best of luck!

Buddy
06-04-2019, 06:40 AM
Welcome to the site and thanks for the in-depth analysis on the Cardinal baseball team. It should be a good series... but there may be alot of sitting around and waiting as the weather forecast for the weekend is not good.

Scared_Hitless
06-04-2019, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the info, not going to lie I was pulling for Fresno to pull the upset. I think it will be a good series, you dont win as many games as Stanford did without being a very fundamentally sound team. May the best team win, based on your info Friday night should be a low scoring affair. We have a very good lineup that has the ability to get to your bullpen if your starter is not lights out. And the best stadium in college baseball will be rocking. Be wary of the game thread if you are this way Friday night it is a fun read but dont take it to seriously heat of the moment gets to all fan bases.