deadheaddawg
06-01-2019, 08:34 PM
11,511 according to Twitter.

Can we squeeze 4,000 + more in there?

Homedawg
06-01-2019, 08:58 PM

No. But it's not that stupid crowded. But viewing room is about full. We won't ever get more than 13500 in here.

RocketDawg
06-01-2019, 09:26 PM

The place looked packed to me, other than a few seats behind home. I think it was about as full as it'll get.

drummerdawg
06-01-2019, 09:38 PM
I thought it was built for having huge crowds of 15k+

Bdawg
06-01-2019, 09:40 PM
I thought it was built for having huge crowds of 15k+

If it won't, that sucks

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Yeah being able to break all your own records would be a huge perk for the stadium, it would allow us to get even more national attention. To do a $60M stadium and not have it be able to hold all the State fans who want to come is a terrible oversight

nsvltndog
06-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Yeah being able to break all your own records would be a huge perk for the stadium, it would allow us to get even more national attention. To do a $60M stadium and not have it be able to hold all the State fans who want to come is a terrible oversight

I haven't heard of anyone being turned away. Tonight was awesome. If 11,500 crowds can generate that level of fun and excitement then I think I can find a way to be happy with it. If 3-4K more want to come they just need to show up and buy tickets.

deadheaddawg
06-01-2019, 11:06 PM

Yep. It's a beautiful park. Nicest one in college......but it appears to be too small and not enough general admission seating.

I know several people that can't do season tickets.....either for time/travel or money reasons.....that are not even going to try to go to a game because it's all standing only. I couldn't go today because my son was playing in a baseball tournament in West Memphis....but I probably would not try unless I had a seat ticket in my hand

So I think you probably have a lot of fans who would be willing to go to a few games a year, but aren't because there are no seats.

And it looks like it might be intentional. It looks like maybe the university decided to build it smaller and catered to the bigger spenders.

And I can understand that. Again these are people that would only go to a few games a year....so financially it might not make sense to have more GA seating......but that means the university decided the crazy big crowds are not important.

I know some will say "who cares" but I take some pride in it. I think it's cool to have the biggest park and the biggest crowds.

And if LSU or ARKY ever decides to do some major rennovations, our attendance records may fall one day.

If arky or LSU had the capacity, I bet they could get to 15k

Liverpooldawg
06-01-2019, 11:07 PM

Yes. There was space.

Liverpooldawg
06-01-2019, 11:11 PM
We hit a home run with this park. If you weren't there tonight you really don't know just how good it is. There was a lot of space left. Can we get 15k, maybe....but who cares. It looks spectacular and it has a spectacular feel. We have something that is the envy of the college baseball world and y'all are bitching about it. That is SO MSU.

deadheaddawg
06-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Yes. There was space.

Well that changes my above post some. Maybe they didn't intentionally build it smaller.

But I do think attendance will always be lower than it could because there are not enough GA seats ....in fact I know it is. I know for certain some people aren't going to make big games because of it

But it is the nicest place in the country. I don't want to sound like I don't like it. I love it.

I am just a little sad the General admission part was done for looks and not function.

Liverpooldawg
06-01-2019, 11:12 PM
Y'all do know that was the biggest crowd we have ever had for a regional game, right?

Liverpooldawg
06-01-2019, 11:13 PM
Well that changes my above post some. Maybe they didn't intentionally build it smaller.

But I do think attendance will always be lower than it could because there are not enough GA seats ....in fact I know it is. I know for certain some people aren't going to make big games because of it

But it is the nicest place in the country. I don't want to sound like I don't like it. I love it.

I am just a little sad the General admission part was done for looks and not function.

And when we had bleachers everybody bitched about that.

Liverpooldawg
06-01-2019, 11:18 PM
How many people actually had seats in the old place in those two 15 k crowds? We seat more now. How many could actually see the field? I know for a fact there were thousands that couldn't see anything. We don't need thousands of empty seats for 99% of the games played there. This park is a hit with everybody, except those that only want to go to the really big games, show up an hour before the game, buy a ticket, and have a seat.

deadheaddawg
06-01-2019, 11:28 PM
And when we had bleachers everybody bitched about that.

I ain't bitching about this one, but I also didn't bitch about the old bleachers either. I sat in them for most of the record games.

I just wonder if we built this one smaller. Conflicting reports. Some say we can get 4k more....some are saying we cant. Time will tell.

If we did, it's because we only needed the 15k-16k capacity for a couple of games here and there....and that makes sense. Why design and spend the money on something you rarely need.

But that's how you get record crowds. You have to have the space...but it is wasted 99% of the time.

I do think the 15k crowd thing is cool. If we don't ever get there again it will make me a little sad......but that doesn't mean I don't love the new dude. I do. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

ShotgunDawg
06-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Would be cool if they found a way to bring in some temporary bleachers for the Super next week

robert
06-02-2019, 12:13 AM
We hit a home run with this park. If you weren't there tonight you really don't know just how good it is. There was a lot of space left. Can we get 15k, maybe....but who cares. It looks spectacular and it has a spectacular feel. We have something that is the envy of the college baseball world and y'all are bitching about it. That is SO MSU.

Every person that wanted to attend was there tonight. It is a beautiful ballpark, perfect size, electric atmosphere. Liverpool is correct.

DawgFromOxford
06-02-2019, 12:21 AM
The park can easily hold a new record breaking crowd. It is true that there's less general admission seating, because there is 0 general admission seating. Bring your own chair/blanket and post up on one of the berms. If you don't want to do that, then you find a nice rail spot (or a couple rows back of the rail) and stand until about the 5th inning or so when they open up the chair backs.

The key to breaking the attendance records isn't in how much seating the park has, the key is literally just seeing how many people you can fit in the park. With an immense amount of standing room down the foul lines, the park could easily hold thousands more than it did today. Plus, not every single chair back was occupied. Close, but close doesn't set new records.

Breaking the 15k mark is a tough challenge though. You need highly ranked match up, perfect weather, a weekend when there is absolutely nothing else going on across the state of Mississippi, and a nice Saturday time slot. It'll happen. We just haven't had the perfect storm to create a new record yet.

Liverpooldawg
06-02-2019, 12:53 AM
Would be cool if they found a way to bring in some temporary bleachers for the Super next week

No place to put them

Liverpooldawg
06-02-2019, 12:56 AM
Y'all do know that was the biggest crowd we have ever had for a regional game, right?

Well, that's what they said at the game on the PA. I have since seen that isn't the case, maybe.

Goldendawg
06-02-2019, 01:07 AM
My son and I just got home about 30 minutes ago. 1st game at the new Dude and it was a wonderful experience. Friend from home gave us chairbacks in Section 102 along the 1st base line. I too think you could have gotten more people in, but it would have been more SRO. People really seem to enjoy bring their own seats and sitting on the berms and they announced b4 the game that the childrens play area was also open for seating. The food/drink selection selection was great, great prices, and short lines. There were about 10 empty seats scattered around us. A guy below me was even drinking cold, canned beer, ( boy SEC, that was fast!). Bout those 15K crowds in the old Dude. I think a couple were on SBS and it was packed SRO and terrible in my opinion just to set a record. At this time, I don't think any other college in the nation can meet or exceed a game at the Dude. Hail State!

deadheaddawg
06-02-2019, 02:23 AM
Awesome to hear more people saying we could get that many people in. That's pretty good news

Breaking the 15k mark is a tough challenge though. You need highly ranked match up, perfect weather, a weekend when there is absolutely nothing else going on across the state of Mississippi, and a nice Saturday time slot. It'll happen. We just haven't had the perfect storm to create a new record yet.

Here's my plan. I think it's a guaranteed slam dunk to breaking the attendance record.

Win the whole damn thing this year. Bring home a title. Have a trophy presentation/celebration the Saturday of super bulldog weekend next year.

robert
06-02-2019, 04:59 AM
Folks in the loft are not counted in the attendance number. Could have been 1000 out there.

Howboutdemdogs
06-02-2019, 06:45 AM
When the regionals are over, I would like to see the total attendance for each regional. Also, I would like to see it compared to the actual seating capacity. I am sure that State would be one of the leaders.

R2Dawg
06-02-2019, 08:04 AM
As others have posted, not enough GA seating is costing us a decent % of fans. I am not sure I will get my wife back to one after standing the last time and I know many more the same way.

dantheman4248
06-02-2019, 09:48 AM
This whole thread is full of people who have no idea what they are actually talking about.

Last night was a regional RECORD for us. That mark hadn't been broken since 1990. (11,496 vs. Florida State).

We set a record. One more win and we'll likely come close again next weekend to setting another record for the Super Regional. Only need to break 13,715. There is easily room for 2k more people. (It was not asses to elbows at all. There was plenty of movement and lots of room for movement.)

And to add another point to think about, Southern is the only one of these teams that isn't a trek to get to Starkville from where they are at. The previous top 5 were Florida State (1990), South Alabama (2000), South Alabama (2013), Central Arkansas (2013), Notre Dame (2000). So all 5 of them had a team within a very close proximity to Starkville travel wise.

Another point. Oxford, Baton Rouge, Nashville, Athens, Atlanta, and Fayetteville all had Regionals this weekend. That's a whole lot in the South. Add to it Southern Miss got to play in the Baton Rouge regional. People had choices.

Despite all these negatives, this park still broke a 29 year old record. Relax, this thing will hit 15k when we line-up OM on Super Bulldog Weekend next year.

Belegal
06-02-2019, 11:38 AM
I think we need to add 1000 general admission above & beyond berm in left field & keep the full view- I was not able to purchase my tourney tickets due to my nephew ‘s wedding-he’s ole miss & didn’t think to check baseball playoff when he set wedding- stood for 7 innings behind home plate & had to sit in right field play ground area to rest- i’m getting old & can’t stand 9 innings- I did order super regional but i’m sure Others need a seat too- we definitely need 1000 chair back ga seats in our growing future- Go Dawgs!!!

RocketDawg
06-02-2019, 12:38 PM
I think we need to add 1000 general admission above & beyond berm in left field & keep the full view- I was not able to purchase my tourney tickets due to my nephew ‘s wedding-he’s ole miss & didn’t think to check baseball playoff when he set wedding- stood for 7 innings behind home plate & had to sit in right field play ground area to rest- i’m getting old & can’t stand 9 innings- I did order super regional but i’m sure Others need a seat too- we definitely need 1000 chair back ga seats in our growing future- Go Dawgs!!!

Am I correct in believing that the only way to get a seat in Dudy Noble is to have season tickets? If so, that needs to be fixed. You can't expect the occasional fan to stand up during the game, or bring a lawn chair and sit on a berm.

Liverpooldawg
06-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Am I correct in believing that the only way to get a seat in Dudy Noble is to have season tickets? If so, that needs to be fixed. You can't expect the occasional fan to stand up during the game, or bring a lawn chair and sit on a berm.

You can get a seat for 90% of the games. Buy a GA ticket and sit in an empty seat. I've done it a few times this year. Don't want to stand or sit on the berms? ?Pick your games. Don't expect to sit at a big game if you aren't a season ticket holder, show up WAY early to get a berm seat, or get extremely lucky. It's a very good problem to have. The WORST thing we could have ever done to this stadium is put in a bunch of cheap seats that spoil the vibe and feel that only would be used 5 times a year. We hit this one out of the park and we have people saying we should have bunted.

deadheaddawg
06-02-2019, 02:29 PM
You can get a seat for 90% of the games. Buy a GA ticket and sit in an empty seat. I've done it a few times this year. Don't want to stand or sit on the berms? ?Pick your games. Don't expect to sit at a big game if you aren't a season ticket holder, show up WAY early to get a berm seat, or get extremely lucky. It's a very good problem to have. The WORST thing we could have ever done to this stadium is put in a bunch of cheap seats that spoil the vibe and feel that only would be used 5 times a year. We hit this one out of the park and we have people saying we should have bunted.

I don't think people are saying we should have bunted. But if you want the biggest crowds and if you want to possibly break your records, then you probably have to put consideration in for just those 5 games. You aren't having record size crowds often. So if you want to build a record size stadium...you build one knowing it won't be full all that often

It just feels like they built the new stadium with little to no emphasis on Record size crowds....and maybe that's not a big deal.... ..but it kinds feels like they decided "we have the records, we are good, no need to do it again"

And that's fine. It makes good financial sense, and the park is amazing. But I think it's a little suprising .....not necessarily bad in the long run.....but Suprising that it doesn't seem like crazy big crowds were important in the design.

It looks like that situation isn't better than before. We can cram 15k in, but most people would be miserable. Based on our history and the fans pride in having the record....that's Suprising.

Doesn't mean the stadium is bad. Doesn't mean I dislike it. It's still a crazy impressive stadium

Liverpooldawg
06-02-2019, 02:40 PM
I don't think people are saying we should have bunted. But if you want the biggest crowds and if you want to possibly break your records, then you probably have to put consideration in for just those 5 games. You aren't having record size crowds often. So if you want to build a record size stadium...you build one knowing it won't be full all that often

It just feels like they built the new stadium with little to no emphasis on Record size crowds....and maybe that's not a big deal.... ..but it kinds feels like they decided "we have the records, we are good, no need to do it again"

And that's fine. It makes good financial sense, and the park is amazing. But I think it's a little suprising .....not necessarily bad in the long run.....but Suprising that it doesn't seem like crazy big crowds were important in the design.

It looks like that situation isn't better than before. We can cram 15k in, but most people would be miserable. Based on our history and the fans pride in having the record....that's Suprising.

Doesn't mean the stadium is bad. Doesn't mean I dislike it. It's still a crazy impressive stadium

You do know that last night broke the record for regionals at MSU aren't you? And everyone there could actually SEE the field. That was NOT the case in the old stadium.

deadheaddawg
06-02-2019, 03:16 PM
You do know that last night broke the record for regionals at MSU aren't you? And everyone there could actually SEE the field. That was NOT the case in the old stadium.

You do realize I'm talking about the 15k+ games....not the 11k games. Last night was awesome. It also has nothing to with my post.

Liverpooldawg
06-02-2019, 03:23 PM
You do realize I'm talking about the 15k+ games....not the 11k games. Last night was awesome. It also has nothing to with my post.

We have had what, 2-3 of those in 100 years? Probably 4k that were at those games couldn't see a dang thing and they, along with many others, were standing too. We can put that many in this one too but nearly all of them will be able to see something.

confucius say
06-02-2019, 03:31 PM
Anybody wanting chairbacks for any game can get them in stubhub. I sold all 4 of mine this morning on it for $50 each bc I can't go tonight. You can get chairbacks if you want them.

deadheaddawg
06-02-2019, 03:40 PM
We have had what, 2-3 of those in 100 years? Probably 4k that were at those games couldn't see a dang thing and they, along with many others, were standing too. We can put that many in this one too but nearly all of them will be able to see something.

Yes. Which is what I said. The record attendance capacity would not be needed often. If you were going to build a stadium where a record crowd isn't crammed in uncomfortably .....you will not use all of it often

So AGAIN I understand why they did it. It makes financial sense. I am just suprised that's the way they went.

In my opinion, which doesn't matter, if we get a national championship and keep rolling like most think we will.....I personally think you would start seeing more need for a capacity 15k COMFORTABLY. I think if we get that championship monkey off our back the state Baseball bandwagon will grow.

Again, I'm just saying I'm SUPRISED the stadium doesn't have more GA seating. Again. Doesn't mean I don't like it. I'm just suprised.

Liverpooldawg
06-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Yes. Which is what I said. The record attendance capacity would not be needed often. If you were going to build a stadium where a record crowd isn't crammed in uncomfortably .....you will not use all of it often

So AGAIN I understand why they did it. It makes financial sense. I am just suprised that's the way they went.

In my opinion, which doesn't matter, if we get a national championship and keep rolling like most think we will.....I personally think you would start seeing more need for a capacity 15k COMFORTABLY. I think if we get that championship monkey off our back the state Baseball bandwagon will grow.

Again, I'm just saying I'm SUPRISED the stadium doesn't have more GA seating. Again. Doesn't mean I don't like it. I'm just suprised.

We did it EXACTLY the way we should have. I'm not a season ticket holder myself. I go to a few games a year. I've been to more this year than I have been to in a LONG time. Like I said, pick your games, get there EARLY, or get lucky. I got lucky this weekend.....but I was prepared to stand. I got lucky one other game. The rest of them it was pick your game. I usually do the same thing for football.

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Did I miss something? Were we turning people away last night saying the Dude was full? Capacity was not an issue holding us back as far as I know.

Liverpooldawg
06-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Did I miss something? Were we turning people away last night saying the Dude was full? Capacity was not an issue holding us back as far as I know.

Nope, we didn't turn away anyone. Everybody that wanted to be there and was able to go was there.

deadheaddawg
06-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Nope, we didn't turn away anyone. Everybody that wanted to be there and was able to go was there.

But without a doubt, some people that wanted to be there didn't try.... because there are not enough general admission seats.

That's just the truth. It doesn't mean the stadium is bad. You kinda seem upset ....and I'm not sure why. I don't think anyone is saying the stadium is bad.... some people just wish it had more GA seating. You seem to be making a bigger issue of it than i am.

But there are definitely people not attempting to go, that would if there was more GA seats. I know some and you can find others on social media. The lack of GA seats are keeping some away.... probably not a ton, but some.

Those people don't go to many games, so it's probably not a big deal in Grand scheme of things.....but it impacts the attendance of these type games.

Still the best stadium

RocketDawg
06-02-2019, 04:43 PM
I watched a few minutes of the Georgia Tech/Coastal Carolina game today. Their stadium looks like a Little League field other than the basepath length. And very few spectators were there.

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2019, 04:54 PM
But without a doubt, some people that wanted to be there didn't try.... because there are not enough general admission seats.

That's just the truth. It doesn't mean the stadium is bad. You kinda seem upset ....and I'm not sure why. I don't think anyone is saying the stadium is bad.... some people just wish it had more GA seating. You seem to be making a bigger issue of it than i am.

But there are definitely people not attempting to go, that would if there was more GA seats. I know some and you can find others on social media. The pack of GA seats are keeping some away.... probably not a ton, but some.

Those people don't go to many games, so it's probably not a big deal in Grand scheme of things.....but it impacts the attendance of these type games.

I got curious about the GA seating pre-reno. According to the 2016 media guide, we had 2700 bleacher seats. So any crowd over about 7,500 in our history has had a significant number of people either in the lounges or standing. So why would our SRO - which is far, far superior now in terms of sight lines, and places to sit food, etc - deter people from coming? There has never been a guarantee of a seat on a big game weekend. I get people using that as a reason for not going - but that's a choice about something that has been true for 3 decades or so.

deadheaddawg
06-02-2019, 05:06 PM
There wasn't a guarantee before....but you could do it. My understanding is there are zero GA seats now.

I went both 15k games. I went to most of the other that are our big top 20. I sat in the bleachers for them.

Is getting a spot for a chair in the berm now as easy as getting a bleacher seat before? Maybe it is just as easy....my understanding is that it is not as easy....but I could be mistaken.

But if the berms hold as many folding chairs as the old bleachers I guess it would be just as easy .

Anyone know what the capacity of the berm, with chairs, is?

confucius say
06-02-2019, 05:07 PM

But there are definitely people not attempting to go, that would if there was more GA seats. I know some and you can find others on social media. The lack of GA seats are keeping some away.... probably not a ton, but some.

Still the best stadium

Then we have to do a better job of educating those people. There have been chairbacks available for sale every game on stub hub at time of First pitch, and for reasonable money (50-60 bucks).

deadheaddawg
06-02-2019, 05:11 PM
Then we have to do a better job of educating those people. There have been chairbacks available for sale every game on stub hub at time of First pitch, and for reasonable money (50-60 bucks).

I won't disagree. I will be honest, I didn't realize that there are easy to get chairbacks for $50. I wasn't aware. That's good to know

drummerdawg
06-02-2019, 05:12 PM
I personally know several who aren't going because of the lack of seats that used to go to several games both regionals and regular season in the past. It's a great stadium but the lack of seats are keeping away many more fans than yall might realize.

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2019, 05:15 PM
There wasn't a guarantee before....but you could do it. My understanding is there are zero GA seats now.

I went both 15k games. I went to most of the other that are our big top 20. I sat in the bleachers for them.

Is getting a spot for a chair in the berm now as easy as getting a bleacher seat before? Maybe it is just as easy....my understanding is that it is not as easy....but I could be mistaken.

But if the berms hold as many folding chairs as the old bleachers I guess it would be just as easy .

Anyone know what the capacity of the berm, with chairs, is?

I know they don't hold 2700 - but we packed a whole lot more in there then we did regular season

deadheaddawg
06-02-2019, 05:18 PM
Edit...double post

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2019, 05:21 PM
I personally know several who aren't going because of the lack of seats that used to go to several games both regionals and regular season in the past. It's a great stadium but the lack of seats are keeping away many more fans than yall might realize.

I don't doubt that - but that is also nothing really new. I swore never to go to another big weekend game without a ticket for a seat after the '92 Arkansas SBW game (our #6 crowd). It was awful standing behind the lounges not able to see a damn thing. At least now you can see.

dantheman4248
06-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Again we broke a 29 year old attendance record for us. All the big attendance numbers are Super Regional weekends (Final 16 instead of 64 and generally against a premier opponent) and Super Bulldog Weekend (when we have the spring football game and people walk over).

This stadium has the room and we'll pack it next weekend if we take care of business. I suspect close to 14k next weekend. Won't break the record, but will challenge our Super Regional record. Next year if OM weekend is SB weekend then we'll set the record weather permitting.

BrunswickDawg
06-02-2019, 06:02 PM
I won't disagree. I will be honest, I didn't realize that there are easy to get chairbacks for $50. I wasn't aware. That's good to know

I didn't know we had visiting team allotments for regionals.