PDA

View Full Version : What is the Issue with MSU's Attendance Numbers?

ShotgunDawg
05-31-2019, 03:23 PM
Something clearly doesn't seem to be right with the new stadium's attendance numbers.

https://twitter.com/JoelTColeman/status/1134555514531065856

RocketDawg
05-31-2019, 03:46 PM
Do we even know what the capacity is? The announcers kept saying 15,000 today, but sounds like the real attendance was just over half that. Everything looked full to me except the seats between 1st and 3rd, and I figured they were somewhere back in the shade or inside the club.

drummerdawg
05-31-2019, 04:04 PM
I've got a few attendance questions myself and I'm not sure we can get an actual crowd of over 13k there. New Dude isnt as big

SaintDawg
05-31-2019, 04:05 PM
wikipedia says capacity is 15,500

KOdawg1
05-31-2019, 04:05 PM
Something is definitely different between the old attendance numbers and the new ones. Of course, the NCAA probably counts actual tickets inside the stadium, but still, there looked like way more than 8.8 K at the game today. Tomorrow will be interesting because it should be around 12-13 K by the old park's standards.

deadheaddawg
05-31-2019, 04:06 PM
Are we sure that capacity hasn't decreased? Everyone seems to think we can smash the attendance record with the new stadium, but (from TV) if that was actually only 8,800 then I dont see where we are putting 7,000 more.

BrunswickDawg
05-31-2019, 04:11 PM
I wonder if the NCAA has done something like only counting actual seats and not SRO?

Lord McBuckethead
05-31-2019, 04:22 PM
The issue is this.....we sell tickets, people use them, and then half of them don't sit in them. LFL people also have season tickets.

revdrdawg
05-31-2019, 04:27 PM
It was full, but not packed. There were 4 empty seats on our row. The student section had a lot of people, but was not as tightly packed as during the school year. Tomorrow night should be something else.

SaintDawg
05-31-2019, 04:28 PM
everyone has to have some type of scanned ticket or pass to enter the stadium. if the number of people through the gate is being fudged in some way, what would the sec stand to gain from a lower count? to me, you'd want it to be as high as possible

Lord McBuckethead
05-31-2019, 04:32 PM
everyone has to have some type of scanned ticket or pass to enter the stadium. if the number of people through the gate is being fudged in some way, what would the sec stand to gain from a lower count? to me, you'd want it to be as high as possible

Yeah, LFL spots should trade sRO people tickets. That way the LFL would be packed, and the seats will packed.

drummerdawg
05-31-2019, 04:36 PM
May be a dumb question, but do they count the Lofts in the attendance?

Maroonthirteen
05-31-2019, 04:38 PM
If 8.8k is an accurate figure for today’s attendance, I highly recommend bringing your own cooler tomorrow night. You’ll miss half the game in 1 of the 2 concession lines otherwise.

Homedawg
05-31-2019, 04:39 PM
Hahah. Who is that goofball. It wasn't even close to the biggest crowd of the year. Not even close. The crowd count was close to me.

Homedawg
05-31-2019, 04:39 PM
May be a dumb question, but do they count the Lofts in the attendance?

No. They don't have to have a ticket. Rooftop yes. Lofts . Not.

Homedawg
05-31-2019, 04:41 PM

No. You the crowds are always lower because you only get a percentage of the gate once you get to your bid number. More crowd announced less in your pocket.

BulldogBear
05-31-2019, 04:54 PM
Delete. Quoted wrong post to reply to.

Lord McBuckethead
05-31-2019, 04:56 PM
Yeah, LFL spots should trade sRO people tickets. That way the LFL would be packed, and the seats will packed.

Either way, doesn't get more folks to the park.

BulldogBear
05-31-2019, 04:56 PM
This should've been officially done in some manner.....ages ago.

drummerdawg
05-31-2019, 04:58 PM
Does anybody know what our season ticket numbers are compared to the old stadium? I'm guessing OM outsold us by a good bit in season tickets because they didnt have a game under 7.5K all season while we had a couple drop in the 6Ks

deadheaddawg
05-31-2019, 06:00 PM
Does anyone know how many arky had for their afternoon game?

MStateDawg
05-31-2019, 06:01 PM
I?ll let y?all in on a little secret... we?ve never had 15k at a baseball game and never will. About 12k is the most we?ve ever squeezed in (Clemson Super Regional).

deadheaddawg
05-31-2019, 06:05 PM
I bet your sources are amazing. Got any sweet recruiting secrets for us?

SaintDawg
05-31-2019, 06:05 PM
No. You the crowds are always lower because you only get a percentage of the gate once you get to your bid number. More crowd announced less in your pocket.
So we split the gates with the other schools?

Bothrops
05-31-2019, 06:07 PM
I?ll let y?all in on a little secret... we?ve never had 15k at a baseball game and never will. About 12k is the most we?ve ever squeezed in (Clemson Super Regional).

Don't believe it.

Captain Falcon
05-31-2019, 06:15 PM
Tomorrow night?s attendance number will be a little more telling I think. Today?s is consistent with what we had for the first game in the 2016 Regional, also against a 4 seed in the middle of the day.

Today - 8,826
?16 vs SEMO - 9,378

And for reference, the Saturday night game against Fullerton in ?16 had an attendance of 10,656. My point is don?t make it an old stadium versus new stadium debate just yet, a little more to it than that. Look at our Top 5 biggest crowds of all time, each of those games was played in April.

Mjoelner34
05-31-2019, 06:39 PM

Negative. There were 10 time the people between and behind the rigs in the outfield during the 15k ole miss game than were at the super regional.

Skydawg1
05-31-2019, 06:48 PM
My point is don?t make it an old stadium versus new stadium debate just yet, a little more to it than that. Look at our Top 5 biggest crowds of all time, each of those games was played in April.Bingo. SBW.

Homedawg
05-31-2019, 06:49 PM

There was wayyyy more than that for Clemson. The announced was super bogus. Couldn't move in outfield

Homedawg
05-31-2019, 06:50 PM
Negative. There were 10 time the people between and behind the rigs in the outfield during the 15k ole miss game than were at the super regional.

No. Just no.

mparkerfd20
05-31-2019, 07:40 PM
No one will admit it but I've been suspicious that the new stadium wouldn't hold anywhere near what the old one would from the getgo.

Bothrops
05-31-2019, 08:31 PM
No one will admit it but I've been suspicious that the new stadium wouldn't hold anywhere near what the old one would from the getgo.

In the outfield it probably doesn't.

Cooterpoot
05-31-2019, 08:35 PM
I wish we’d learn to stop being concerned with attendance. It’s almost a damn crutch. We’ll have one if the best attended regionals every year. It’s the outcome that matters. Not that damn attendance asterisk.

Maroonthirteen
06-01-2019, 06:54 AM
Does anybody know what our season ticket numbers are compared to the old stadium? I'm guessing OM outsold us by a good bit in season tickets because they didnt have a game under 7.5K all season while we had a couple drop in the 6Ks

OM has a big advantage over State in that Memphis and Desoto county is a short easy drive. As well as Tupelo.

drummerdawg
06-01-2019, 08:10 AM
OM has a big advantage over State in that Memphis and Desoto county is a short easy drive. As well as Tupelo.

That's why they sell about 1,000 more season tickets? Not buying that. Tupelo is about the same distance to Starkville and Rankin and Hinds county isn't any harder of a drive as the Memphis area is to Oxford.

Lord McBuckethead
06-01-2019, 08:13 AM
I've got a few attendance questions myself and I'm not sure we can get an actual crowd of over 13k there. New Dude isnt as big

Well we have no grandstands for people to sit. Season ticket holders, that didn't come but to about 30% of the games hold every damn seat in the house. Thats why.

Lord McBuckethead
06-01-2019, 08:14 AM
That's why they sell about 1,000 more season tickets? Not buying that. Tupelo is about the same distance to Starkville and Rankin and Hinds county isn't any harder of a drive as the Memphis area is to Oxford.

Yeah, i think every town in desoto minus HL is bigger than Tupelo.

shannondawg
06-01-2019, 09:20 AM
I trust you guys will get to the bottom of this, and it will leave me free to work on my quest for world peace.

Dawgbite
06-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Sitting here talking to a university official so I asked. Regular season we count tickets purchased. For regionals we count tickets scanned because we have to give that money to the NCAA. We don't want to inflate the attendance because it cost the university.

WSOPdawg
06-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Attendance at the following regional sites:

BATON ROUGE Regional
USM vs Arizona State - 9,918
LSU vs Stony Brook - 10,542
Day 1 Total - 20,460

FAYETTEVILLE Regional
Arkansas vs Central Connecticut - 10,037
TCU vs Cal - 9.594
Day 1 Total - 19,631

OXFORD Regional
Clemson vs Illinois - 8,935
OM vs Jacksonville State - 9,810
Day 1 Total - 18,745

STARKVILLE Regional
MSU vs Southern - 8,826 (but I agree the Dude look more full than that???)
Central MI vs Miami - 7,259 (but didn't look anywhere close to that if our game truly had 8,826 in attendance)
Day 1 Total - 16.085

No other regional comes close to 10,000 total attendance.

Maroonthirteen
06-01-2019, 10:47 AM

I haven’t driven GTR to Jackson in many years. However I can tell you Desoto county is a very populated county (for MS) with many OM fans making a good living. And it’s an easy drive
To oxford.

gravedigger
06-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Something clearly doesn't seem to be right with the new stadium's attendance numbers.

https://twitter.com/JoelTColeman/status/1134555514531065856

no.

Homedawg spelled it out well. It would seem state fans need to drop the 'all time largest crowds' mentality and just move on to being happy that our stadium is now the premier venue to watch a baseball game in the country.

I was pretty entertained with all the 15000 talk of the announcers when it was obvious there wasnt nearly that many there. Just a bunch of talking points.

Todd4State
06-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Well we have no grandstands for people to sit. Season ticket holders, that didn't come but to about 30% of the games hold every damn seat in the house. Thats why.

We also lack a common sense solution to allow fans to sit in the empty seats in the grandstand. I think it drives some fans away.

HooverDawg
06-01-2019, 11:33 AM
Sitting here talking to a university official so I asked. Regular season we count tickets purchased. For regionals we count tickets scanned because we have to give that money to the NCAA. We don't want to inflate the attendance because it cost the university.

So we get to keep ticket sale $ if the holder doesn?t go in the game? Seems like we?d have to split the ticket sales regardless of entry to game.

gravedigger
06-01-2019, 11:35 AM
We also lack a common sense solution to allow fans to sit in the empty seats in the grandstand. I think it drives some fans away.

Imagine if the school announced that at the end of the 5th inning, SRO fans could inhabit any outfield grilling areas. There would be riots.

We are all wringing our hands about the 'look' of empty seats in the grandstands. That is the cost of making them premium seats.

RocketDawg
06-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Why do we feel the need to inflate attendance numbers during the season? Just use the turnstile count and be honest about it.

Dawgbite
06-01-2019, 12:59 PM
So we get to keep ticket sale $ if the holder doesn?t go in the game? Seems like we?d have to split the ticket sales regardless of entry to game.

I don't know, she just said that scanned tickets determined how much we had to give the NCAA. Said that the University has almost zero control over anything at a regional, the NCAA controlled everything and the university employees are just unpaid NCAA employees for the weekend.

Dawgbite
06-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Why do we feel the need to inflate attendance numbers during the season? Just use the turnstile count and be honest about it.

I think LSU started the trend of counting tickets sold vs entry. Everyone else including us are just trying to keep up with the Bouch?es.

Todd4State
06-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Imagine if the school announced that at the end of the 5th inning, SRO fans could inhabit any outfield grilling areas. There would be riots.

We are all wringing our hands about the 'look' of empty seats in the grandstands. That is the cost of making them premium seats.

Or what if we used common sense and let people sit in empty seats in the grandstand after the National Anthem is played? At least for non regional and non SBW games?

deadheaddawg
06-01-2019, 05:14 PM
I wish we’d learn to stop being concerned with attendance. It’s almost a damn crutch. We’ll have one if the best attended regionals every year. It’s the outcome that matters. Not that damn attendance asterisk.

Attendence is about the only thing the fans can actually control. It makes a lot more sense to talk about attendance than it does melting like a school girl everytime Moorhead farts or the baseball team has a strikeout.

Todd4State
06-01-2019, 11:50 PM
Attendence is about the only thing the fans can actually control. It makes a lot more sense to talk about attendance than it does melting like a school girl everytime Moorhead farts or the baseball team has a strikeout.

So people should only discuss things that they can control on a sports message board? That only eliminated 96% of all things sports related.

deadheaddawg
06-02-2019, 02:44 AM
So people should only discuss things that they can control on a sports message board? That only eliminated 96% of all things sports related.

Why in the world would you make that leap? I never for implied or said you shouldn't talk about those things. I don't mind the message board having multiple topics.

That dude said he wished we wouldn't talk about attendance. I pointed out to him, that attendance is the only thing we can actually control. It actually makes more sense for us to talk about it than stuff we can't control.

Of course it as interesting as on the field stuff. I want other topics too, but attendance is definitely a topic we can discuss......it doesn't hurt to have a thread or two

And back to my original point....it's more interesting than all the melting about coaching and game over reaction

JohnnyQuid
06-02-2019, 06:13 AM
There was wayyyy more than that for Clemson. The announced was super bogus. Couldn't move in outfield

This was one of the best and most miserable games I've ever been to. Early game so even earlier into the bottle. There's not a word to accurately describe how hot it was and the Bleachers were so packed trying to get out to piss or a drink wasn't even worth it. Nobody can convince me 2000 more people could be crammed into dudy noble that day

Maroonthirteen
06-02-2019, 07:15 AM

I know 5 people that didn’t go yesterday that would have if tickets were reasonably obtainable. But....... that’s just how it goes with big athletic contest. Sometimes you pay a premium or you don’t get a ticket.

Percho
06-02-2019, 08:29 AM
I don't know, she just said that scanned tickets determined how much we had to give the NCAA. Said that the University has almost zero control over anything at a regional, the NCAA controlled everything and the university employees are just unpaid NCAA employees for the weekend.

If it is a NCAA event and not a MSU event all seating should be first come first serve, then there would not be empty seats behind home plate and it would look good on TV.

Bdawg
06-02-2019, 09:19 AM
If it is a NCAA event and not a MSU event all seating should be first come first serve, then there would not be empty seats behind home plate and it would look good on TV.

Man you can't do that. There is a reason people pay good money for premium seats. But if it were up to me, after the third inning I would allow people to get those seats unless the ticket holder shows up. It's not really that hard to do.

Todd4State
06-02-2019, 10:29 AM
Why in the world would you make that leap? I never for implied or said you shouldn't talk about those things. I don't mind the message board having multiple topics.

That dude said he wished we wouldn't talk about attendance. I pointed out to him, that attendance is the only thing we can actually control. It actually makes more sense for us to talk about it than stuff we can't control.

Of course it as interesting as on the field stuff. I want other topics too, but attendance is definitely a topic we can discuss......it doesn't hurt to have a thread or two

And back to my original point....it's more interesting than all the melting about coaching and game over reaction

Let's not act like you've never taken a leap on here before.

WSOPdawg
06-02-2019, 10:37 AM
This was one of the best and most miserable games I've ever been to. Early game so even earlier into the bottle. There's not a word to accurately describe how hot it was and the Bleachers were so packed trying to get out to piss or a drink wasn't even worth it. Nobody can convince me 2000 more people could be crammed into dudy noble that day

100% agree, damn that was one hot-a$$ day! Elbow-to-elbow with everybody else making it difficult to move, everybody trying profusely to fan themselves to keep cool, clothes wringing wet with sweat, could actually feel the heat draining the energy from your body.