PDA

View Full Version : Ginn starting tomorrow..............

Liverpooldawg
05-30-2019, 11:44 AM
from the presser.

msstate7
05-30-2019, 11:48 AM
Man, pretty surprised.

Dawg2003
05-30-2019, 11:53 AM
I like it. Ginn doesn't need to go against Miami because they have too many lefties. We will probably play Miami 1-2 times, and I think Plumlee is a better matchup for them. I also trust Plum more in high pressure situations, which the later games will be.

DownwardDawg
Man, pretty surprised.

Me too. Oh well, I try not to worry about things like this too much. He should mow them down. I guess Plumlee on Sunday then after Small on Saturday.

Homedawg
I like it.

The Federalist Engineer
05-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Smart! We need Small vs the #2 seed with the lefty heavy lineup

Marvin
05-30-2019, 12:07 PM
I don’t think that’s very smart, totally gives away the SWAC advantage we had.

Let’s hope we jump out to a 12-0 lead early and pull him after 40

Tbonewannabe
05-30-2019, 12:11 PM
I don’t think that’s very smart, totally gives away the SWAC advantage we had.

Let’s hope we jump out to a 12-0 lead early and pull him after 40

Could be the idea. Pull him and then start him if needed on Monday with a low pitch count.

msstate7
05-30-2019, 12:11 PM
Smart! We need Small vs the #2 seed with the lefty heavy lineup

I doubt the decision was ever involved small vs southern. I think it was plumlee or ginn

msstate7
05-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Could be the idea. Pull him and then start him if needed on Monday with a low pitch count.

Somehow I doubt it. We probably made some assurances on arm use to get him in school

AlSwearengen
05-30-2019, 12:19 PM
I was thinking Plumlee or maybe even Smith BUT winning the first 2 is the trick to these regionals. It would be disastrous to lose the first game to Southern and if I am Lemonis, I wouldn’t want to be in that situation.

If we win the first 2, Plumlee will pitch against someone’s (probably miami’s) number 4 and Smith against someone’s number 5 if needed.

Smith should also be able to throw an inning in the first game if needed. It would be nice if we beat the breaks off of Southern early and can throw Cerantola and see how he does and hopefully save some pitching.

GreenheadDawg
05-30-2019, 12:25 PM
Would have rather seen Plumlee but as long as we win the first 2 I don’t care who throws. Winning the first 2 are a must.

KOdawg1
05-30-2019, 12:26 PM
The only way this makes sense is to pitch him a few innings and then bring someone else in, so he's still available for the last game should we need it. But like 7 said, he came here with a limit in place so I doubt it.

I guess it's not the worst scenario, but it's not the best either.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Could this be to give Ginn more time to rest leading to the Supers? Pitching vs Southern gives him 2 more days than if he went game 3. Plumlee can recover faster

OR, if we want to be pessimistic... Ginn's arm is acting up again and Plumlee is the better pitcher right now, so by throwing Ginn we're throwing our #3

Dawg2003
05-30-2019, 12:49 PM
The only way this makes sense is to pitch him a few innings and then bring someone else in, so he's still available for the last game should we need it.

It makes sense if they would rather Plumlee take on Miami, who has 6 lefties, in the 3rd game.

ZedFedder
05-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Ginn needs a little confidence boost, too. Recovered well but had a rocky start against Ole Miss and did not pitch well against LSU.

MetEdDawg
05-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Ginn is young, has struggled some as of late, and he's never been in a situation as high pressure as this. Nothing in high school can prepare for the environment he will be part of tomorrow.

If we are in a win or go home scenario and I have my choice of Plumlee or Ginn, right now I take Plumlee. Doesn't mean he's better than Ginn, but he's been there done that before and has a crap ton more experience on his side.

Let Ginn get his feet wet against a team he should dominate. Get the confidence up and get him rolling. We will need him in a big time situation if we are going to win the whole thing.

R2Dawg
05-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Good move; I like Small in second game. Ginn should handle Southern fine. From here on out, Small got to pitch in ace moments on prime time. That is what you do when you have one of best pitchers in college baseball.

shoeless joe
05-30-2019, 01:37 PM
Been wondering why I hadn?t seen this scenario thrown out. Personally I have no issue with it and kinda like it.

PMDawg
05-30-2019, 01:42 PM
Could this be to give Ginn more time to rest leading to the Supers? Pitching vs Southern gives him 2 more days than if he went game 3. Plumlee can recover faster

OR, if we want to be pessimistic... Ginn's arm is acting up again and Plumlee is the better pitcher right now, so by throwing Ginn we're throwing our #3

I think it's more that Ginn just hasn't been the same since he missed those games with a sore shoulder.

mstatefan91
05-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Somehow I doubt it. We probably made some assurances on arm use to get him in school
And who is going to penalize us for breaking this totally not made up assurance?

msstate7
05-30-2019, 01:55 PM
And who is going to penalize us for breaking this totally not made up assurance?

First off, I have no idea if there even is an agreement. Let's say there is though, he could leave immediately if he so chose to and follow carter to Japan. Most likely he would just take the ball, but that's terrible business to just backtrack like that. Again though, I have no idea if there's some sort of agreement... I'd hope so though bc kid has a future.

Homedawg
05-30-2019, 02:16 PM

You penalize yourself by not taking care of a kids arm w big time potential. It's not hard to understand.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-30-2019, 02:23 PM
I like it. Ginn doesn't need to go against Miami because they have too many lefties. We will probably play Miami 1-2 times, and I think Plumlee is a better matchup for them. I also trust Plum more in high pressure situations, which the later games will be.

Lemonis is proving how good of a coach he is

Commercecomet24
05-30-2019, 02:36 PM
You penalize yourself by not taking care of a kids arm w big time potential. It's not hard to understand.

Exactly! You mess one up and word gets around. It's detrimental to the player and the program both.

preachermatt83
05-30-2019, 03:31 PM
Ginn is young, has struggled some as of late, and he's never been in a situation as high pressure as this. Nothing in high school can prepare for the environment he will be part of tomorrow.

If we are in a win or go home scenario and I have my choice of Plumlee or Ginn, right now I take Plumlee. Doesn't mean he's better than Ginn, but he's been there done that before and has a crap ton more experience on his side.

Let Ginn get his feet wet against a team he should dominate. Get the confidence up and get him rolling. We will need him in a big time situation if we are going to win the whole thing.

Exactly!

preachermatt83
05-30-2019, 03:32 PM
Lemonis is proving how good of a coach he is

You are 100 percent correct!!

CadaverDawg
05-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Ginn needs a little confidence boost, too. Recovered well but had a rocky start against Ole Miss and did not pitch well against LSU.

This. Confidence boost, and you don't go to the Regional Final depending on two freshmen as your only starters. I still would have liked to see Plumlee or even Smith throw vs Southern, but I can understand why Lemonis is making this choice, and as long as we win the Regional I'm cool with it. We will need JT to beat great teams if we want to win it all, so if smoking Southern is the confidence boost he needs...I'm good with it.

The Federalist Engineer
05-30-2019, 03:52 PM
I doubt the decision was ever involved small vs southern. I think it was plumlee or ginn

Next Friday is the Super Game-1, I think you want give pitchers regular, predictable rest. Ginn vs Stanford next Saturday is ok too.

CadaverDawg
05-30-2019, 04:03 PM
Next Friday is the Super Game-1, I think you want give pitchers regular, predictable rest. Ginn vs UC Santa Barbara next Saturday is ok too.

FIFY

Liverpooldawg
05-30-2019, 04:58 PM

Future recruits.

Ezsoil
05-30-2019, 05:00 PM
I think it's more that Ginn just hasn't been the same since he missed those games with a sore shoulder.

uhhhh guess you missed the A&M game that was his best game by far this year from a pitch count, command and location standpoint... a bobble in right field cost that game ...

Covercorner2
05-30-2019, 05:06 PM
uhhhh guess you missed the A&M game that was his best game by far this year from a pitch count, command and location standpoint... a bobble in right field cost that game ...

I also think its overblown how "bad" he pitched against LSU last time out. He struck out 5 of the first 7 guys he faced. Only gave up 4 hits before he was pulled....

Homedawg
05-30-2019, 05:09 PM
Next Friday is the Super Game-1, I think you want give pitchers regular, predictable rest. Ginn vs Stanford next Saturday is ok too.

Might not be a fri start don't know yet. Some start sat

Marvin
05-30-2019, 07:08 PM
If we lose to Miami with Small it means we have to come back and beat a decent CMU team and then Miami TWICE with Plumlee, Smith, and....Cerantola? Ginn won’t go on two days rest, not happening.

We could win tomorrow with Keegan James on the mound, I’m sorry but Ginn is wasted here and essentially puts all our eggs in Ethan Small’s basket. A loss to Southern is not happening but if we then lost to UM with Small we could finish up with three decent starts in Ginn, Plum, and Smith. Now we can’t.

DownwardDawg
05-30-2019, 07:25 PM
If we lose to Miami with Small it means we have to come back and beat a decent CMU team and then Miami TWICE with Plumlee, Smith, and....Cerantola? Ginn won’t go on two days rest, not happening.

We could win tomorrow with Keegan James on the mound, I’m sorry but Ginn is wasted here and essentially puts all our eggs in Ethan Small’s basket. A loss to Southern is not happening but if we then lost to UM with Small we could finish up with three decent starts in Ginn, Plum, and Smith. Now we can’t.

I just disagree. We need to start one of either Ginn or Plumlee. I thought it would be Plumlee. I like the Ginn decision. This Southern team beat LSU. Something we struggle to do. We HAVE TO win the first game.

PMDawg
05-30-2019, 07:33 PM

Nope, not at all. He's still excellent. He was just on another level before the shoulder deal.

Todd4State
05-30-2019, 08:22 PM
I like it only if Ginn is on a pitch count and this is a glorified bullpen session that allows Ginn to come back for a winner take all final game on Monday.

Start Ginn and let him go three innings. Bring in Brandon Smith for three. Bring in Cetentola for two. Bring in Colby White to close it out. If it's a blowout close with Keegan James.

Todd4State
05-30-2019, 08:26 PM

You're correct if it isn't a glorified bullpen session. If it is a glorified bullpen session then we go with Small against someone's two. Then if we win that we go with Plumlee against a three. Then we could go with Brandon Smith in a game four and if we have to play Monday go back with Ginn.

It could actually set us up where we use Ginn for a potential championship game in a Super Regional as well.

Now if Lemonis doesn't do this- I reserve the right to agree with you after the fact.

Todd4State
05-30-2019, 08:29 PM

The truth is people are trying to spin this into a positive MSU thing. If Ginn goes deep it is definitely questionable. And it wouldn't be the first time this year that this staff has done something questionable with the staff if we are all honest with ourselves here.

timotheus
05-30-2019, 08:29 PM
I say we better be able to hit the low 80's junk from the lefty from southern. Ginn will be fine.

dantheman4248
05-30-2019, 09:01 PM
I’d rather have Ginn go full tomorrow and save a bunch of our bullpen for if we need it during the tourney. Playing cute is for the birds and we’re not trusting two freshman to a situation they’ve never been in yet. Giving Ginn easy experience and confidence with a W tomorrow is big for the rest of the season.

preachermatt83
05-30-2019, 09:23 PM
The truth is people are trying to spin this into a positive MSU thing. If Ginn goes deep it is definitely questionable. And it wouldn't be the first time this year that this staff has done something questionable with the staff if we are all honest with ourselves here.

You used to be one of the better baseball posters on this board... what happened?

Shake 'n Bake
05-30-2019, 09:23 PM
I?m glad our coach is trying to coach to win in 3 instead of worrying about who starts a theoretical game 5. We win the first two and it?s impossible to need a fifth starter. I think some of you have too much time to think about this. You don?t throw a fourth starter to open a tournament you can win in 3 games. I?d be livid if we started small but plum/Ginn either one is the right call.

Marvin
05-30-2019, 09:30 PM
I?m glad our coach is trying to coach to win in 3 instead of worrying about who starts a theoretical game 5. We win the first two and it?s impossible to need a fifth starter. I think some of you have too much time to think about this. You don?t throw a fourth starter to open a tournament you can win in 3 games. I?d be livid if we started small but plum/Ginn either one is the right call.

The better chance to win in 3 is to go Plum/Small/Ginn. You have to ask yourself which of the following options has the highest chance of hitting:

Ginn beats Southern/Plum beats Miami
Plum beats Southern/Ginn beats Miami

No questions it’s option 2.

DownwardDawg
05-30-2019, 09:38 PM
You used to be one of the better baseball posters on this board... what happened?

He’s lost it. This is the best staff, based on decisions all year, that we’ve had in a long time.

And yes. I used to really look forward to Todd’s posts on baseball n

Shake 'n Bake
05-30-2019, 09:38 PM
Ginn isn’t a slam dunk over Plumlee to me. Plum has won an elimination game in the past and has pitched every bit as well as ginn in the second half of the year. Personally I would’ve gone plum in game 1 but don’t see how anyone can think it’s a huge difference. Ginn has more upside but also has a better chance of only making it a couple innings against Miami.

DownwardDawg
05-30-2019, 09:40 PM
The better chance to win in 3 is to go Plum/Small/Ginn. You have to ask yourself which of the following options has the highest chance of hitting:

Ginn beats Southern/Plum beats Miami
Plum beats Southern/Ginn beats Miami

No questions it’s option 2.

Lol. Nope. Ginn, Small, then Plumlee vs Central Michigan #4 pitcher. Easy regional.

DownwardDawg
05-30-2019, 09:43 PM
Ginn isn’t a slam dunk over Plumlee to me. Plum has won an elimination game in the past and has pitched every bit as well as ginn in the second half of the year. Personally I would’ve gone plum in game 1 but don’t see how anyone can think it’s a huge difference. Ginn has more upside but also has a better chance of only making it a couple innings against Miami.

We’re saving Plum because he is much better than Ginn right now. That’s why we’re starting Ginn against Southern.

Marvin
05-30-2019, 09:51 PM
Lol. Nope. Ginn, Small, then Plumlee vs Central Michigan #4 pitcher. Easy regional.

We’ll agree to disagree. Plum hasn’t been striking anyone out lately and Miami’s lefty bats are a matchup issue. Ginn has the ability to dominate talent on both sides of the plate and we waste that on a team we should beat by double digits.

basedog
05-30-2019, 10:11 PM
We’re saving Plum because he is much better than Ginn right now. That’s why we’re starting Ginn against Southern.

Yes ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe not much better but his experience to me is the key. Plumlee has plenty of rest also.

Todd4State
05-30-2019, 10:27 PM

The staff has done a great job overall. But do you consider how we used the pen in game one of the Arkansas series to be questionable? It cost us a chance at extra innings and got us off on the wrong foot in a series that we were ultimately swept in. May have cost us a SEC title as well.

Colby White not pitching at all in the SEC Tournament? That's not questionable?

And now you have this.

The reality is there is not one single poster on this board that said that we should start Ginn before today. Now because Lemonis is doing it's a great idea and all of a sudden we're only focusing on Ginn and Plumlee's last four starts? Lol.

What about Plumlee's last actual start against South Carolina? That didn't go all that well for us either.

And I'm not going to get too much into it because like I said if Lemonis pitches Ginn in a short stint it's fine. It will probably work out either way.

HooverDawg
05-30-2019, 10:48 PM

This coming from the guy who wanted to start JT against Texas Southern earlier this year coming off arm soreness. LOL.

Todd4State
05-30-2019, 10:52 PM
This coming from the guy who wanted to start JT against Texas Southern earlier this year coming off arm soreness. LOL.

I didn't "want" him to. I said it was possible that he would start against them IF he was healthy and it would be a short outing. I also said that it was possible that he would start the Governor's Cup as well. He started against Arkansas so he split the difference.

Homedawg
05-30-2019, 10:56 PM
I like it only if Ginn is on a pitch count and this is a glorified bullpen session that allows Ginn to come back for a winner take all final game on Monday.

Start Ginn and let him go three innings. Bring in Brandon Smith for three. Bring in Cetentola for two. Bring in Colby White to close it out. If it's a blowout close with Keegan James.

Ginn ain't coming back. Barring us scoring 10 in the first two. That's not going to happen

Todd4State
05-30-2019, 10:56 PM
Also mods- I'm sure y'all know Hooverdawg is Goat so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the ban hammer comes again. I do wonder how many of my posts will be taken completely out of context in the meantime by the troll?

Homedawg
05-30-2019, 10:59 PM
The staff has done a great job overall. But do you consider how we used the pen in game one of the Arkansas series to be questionable? It cost us a chance at extra innings and got us off on the wrong foot in a series that we were ultimately swept in. May have cost us a SEC title as well.

Colby White not pitching at all in the SEC Tournament? That's not questionable?

And now you have this.

The reality is there is not one single poster on this board that said that we should start Ginn before today. Now because Lemonis is doing it's a great idea and all of a sudden we're only focusing on Ginn and Plumlee's last four starts? Lol.

What about Plumlee's last actual start against South Carolina? That didn't go all that well for us either.

And I'm not going to get too much into it because like I said if Lemonis pitches Ginn in a short stint it's fine. It will probably work out either way.

Colby wa shelf out for a reason. Not everything is what it appears. Not dogging you just pointing out something

Todd4State
05-30-2019, 11:00 PM
Ginn ain't coming back. Barring us scoring 10 in the first two. That's not going to happen

Well then IMO it's a questionable decision. I'd rather have Ginn start against Miami or Central Michigan than Plumlee. That's simply the higher percentage decision. I'm not going to get into it too much because it's probably going to work out anyway.

Just not worth arguing about. I'm going to go to the regional and have a good time. I don't care if he throws Joe Moorhead.

Todd4State
05-30-2019, 11:02 PM
Colby wa shelf out for a reason. Not everything is what it appears. Not dogging you just pointing out something

That's fair. I wondered if it could possibly be a Trey Porter situation. Just odd to not pitch one of our best relievers in three days of baseball including a 17 inning game.

Commercecomet24
05-30-2019, 11:20 PM
The staff has reasons for starting JT tomorrow. As Homedawg said everything is not as it always appears.

mstatefan91
05-31-2019, 11:03 AM
First post in this series

First off, I have no idea if there even is an agreement. Let's say there is though, he could leave immediately if he so chose to and follow carter to Japan. Most likely he would just take the ball, but that's terrible business to just backtrack like that. Again though, I have no idea if there's some sort of agreement... I'd hope so though bc kid has a future.
That's fair

Future recruits.
The original post was if Ginn had a low pitch count today and if he was needed Monday, would that be ok? Nobody is talking about running him up to 80+ and then handing him another start on Monday..

This was like "What if Ginn threw 30-40 tops?" in my mind..

dantheman4248
05-31-2019, 06:19 PM
Bumping this for everyone to read their thoughts now that the game has been played and Ginn pitched only "30-40" and as Lemonis said "could have kept going, but we were looking out for the kid."

Todd4State
05-31-2019, 06:28 PM
The staff has reasons for starting JT tomorrow. As Homedawg said everything is not as it always appears.

I mean, he got hurt. What else is there to say?

msstate7
05-31-2019, 07:18 PM
Bumping this for everyone to read their thoughts now that the game has been played and Ginn pitched only "30-40" and as Lemonis said "could have kept going, but we were looking out for the kid."

So you saying he's gonna pitch again this regional?

Commercecomet24
05-31-2019, 07:19 PM

It's more complicated than that. That's all I can say right now.

chef dixon
05-31-2019, 07:30 PM
The Ginn handling situation has been sketchy all year

GreenheadDawg
05-31-2019, 07:30 PM

Oh Jesus. I love the guys with the “inside info” but can’t share it. Real cool

Homedawg
05-31-2019, 07:36 PM

He said hat before the game todd

Homedawg
05-31-2019, 07:36 PM

Nope. He isn't.

dantheman4248
05-31-2019, 07:38 PM

Nah. After hearing more it sounds like it’s best he sits out.

Todd4State
06-01-2019, 12:58 AM
He said hat before the game todd

Sorry. I realize that I responded to the wrong post on accident. My apologies.

Todd4State
06-01-2019, 01:00 AM

I'm sorry. I responded to the wrong post.

I meant to respond to dantheman. I guess that happens when you are posting on your phone at the ballpark.