PDA

View Full Version : Mullen's got the excuse for losing to UK in his back pocket

Ghost of Hank Flick
10-23-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't think we'll lose to Kentucky, but stranger things have happened. With the Mullen pot being stirred here and everywhere around MSU this game against Kentucky is Dan's biggest game. I don't see how he could lose and keep his job. And this week he already planted that excuse in the back of our minds just in case the Dawgs lay an egg: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/10/23/rivalry-kentucky-cya-mullen/

engie
10-23-2013, 02:33 PM
True. Good article...

Op4isabitch
10-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Good write up Casper! I couldn't agree more.

Goat Holder
10-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Dude that such a terrible viewpoint. For one thing, MSU and Ole Miss are a rivalry because we're in the same damn state. Other rivalries are teams that have played each other for a long time, which is what MSU and Kentucky have done. And did you not clue in on the quote where he said, "...treat it a LITTLE BIT as a rivalry game...."

Sherrill lost a lot of games to Kentucky. So did Croom. Mullen hasn't. We have similar success rates with Kentucky. We play them annually. We have a small rivalry with them, and I'm glad we do. It's an important game for us EVERY season.

Talk about getting pissy over nothing. Don't give up your day job to write football articles, pal.

Red Sox Dawg
10-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Dude that such a terrible viewpoint. For one thing, MSU and Ole Miss are a rivalry because we're in the same damn state. Other rivalries are teams that have played each other for a long time, which is what MSU and Kentucky have done. And did you not clue in on the quote where he said, "...treat it a LITTLE BIT as a rivalry game...."

Sherrill lost a lot of games to Kentucky. So did Croom. Mullen hasn't. We have similar success rates with Kentucky. We play them annually. We have a small rivalry with them, and I'm glad we do. It's an important game for us EVERY season.

Talk about getting pissy over nothing. Don't give up your day job to write football articles, pal.

I agree.

Jack Lambert
10-23-2013, 03:02 PM
We don't view them as one and they don't view us but they are pretty close to being a rivarly. They view Tenn as their rivalry like Ole Miss views LSU but neither LSU or Tenn view them the same way.

Ghost of Hank Flick
10-23-2013, 03:20 PM

Already have. I'm banking $100k per year on the M&WN. I'm flat out the shit when it come to writing football articles. Just the other day I signed a boob. Folks can't get enough of me.***

Mullen's quote was a tool to get to the point that there is no excuse to lose this game. I thought that was pretty obvious, I guess I'm just a bad writer. I'll differ to your wisdom from now on and just quit before I make a fool of myself any further.*

slickdawg
10-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Your piece on the struggles of our offense in the second half was dead on.

smootness
10-23-2013, 03:41 PM
I don't think that's what he's doing.

Mullen knows no one is going to accept an excuse for losing to Kentucky this year, so there's no reason to try to prepare one.

It was a benign statement.

Jack Lambert
10-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Already have. I'm banking $100k per year on the M&WN. I'm flat out the shit when it come to writing football articles. Just the other day I signed a boob. Folks can't get enough of me.***

Mullen's quote was a tool to get to the point that there is no excuse to lose this game. I thought that was pretty obvious, I guess I'm just a bad writer. I'll differ to your wisdom from now on and just quit before I make a fool of myself any further.*

Sounds kind of like you can get enough of yourself as well.

FlabLoser
10-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Classic trap game after a tough battle with Bowling Green.

DawgInMemphis
10-23-2013, 03:53 PM
I don't think that's what he's doing.

Mullen knows no one is going to accept an excuse for losing to Kentucky this year, so there's no reason to try to prepare one.

It was a benign statement.

I took it as him trying to "up the ante" so to speak for the game to entice folks to show up. A "rivalry" game sounds more intriguing than a game against an overmatched 1-5 UK team.

Thick
10-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Wow, a whole $100k!!!

Ghost of Hank Flick
10-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Sounds kind of like you can get enough of yourself as well.

It was a joke, sir. * is sarcasm.

Ghost of Hank Flick
10-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Your piece on the struggles of our offense in the second half was dead on.

Thank you. 'preciated the RT.

chef dixon
10-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Classic trap game after a tough battle with Bowling Green.

12 trap games on our schedule this season.

dickiedawg
10-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Two things:

1. There is 100% no excuse for losing to UK this year.

2. I do consider UK a football rival on some level, and they fit in category 1.

-We do play every year. This is an even bigger deal for the players, I'm sure.

-This is one of the most important games of the year, for both teams, concerning bowl eligibility. For both teams.

-The series has been competitive. They lead 21-19 overall (which is virtually meaningless) but in 23 annual meetings, we lead 14-9. We've won four straight, but despite that we only lead 6-4 over the last 10 games. We lead 12-8 over the last 20.

-Most of the games are close, too. In those 23 meetings, the average margin of victory is 10.8. 14 games have been decided by 10 points or less, 12 of those were one-score games and 8 were decided by 3 points or less. Only 6 were more than 2 possession games.

-I consider UK a minor rival in all sports. Lately the basketball series is not much of one, but Stansbury's teams played some barn burners against UK. Plus, everyone loves to hate Big Blue. Then, the baseball rivalry has had a little juice to it since Cohen left there.

Yes, I believe our program is ahead of theirs right now. We SHOULD expect to win this game, 100% and if we don't the Disgruntled with Dan support group will start to really show up. However, let's not forget this is a team just 2.5 years removed from a streak of 5 straight bowl games. In the big picture, our programs have been pretty interchangeable.

Goat Holder
10-23-2013, 05:28 PM
They lead 21-19 overall

It's tied 20-20. I wish people would quit using those forfeits, we won the game on the field. It counts.

Sorry dickiedawg...not meant to take away from your point....I agree with you. Just a little pet-peeve of mine.

BulldogBear
10-24-2013, 06:33 AM
It's tied 20-20. I wish people would quit using those forfeits, we won the game on the field. It counts.

Sorry dickiedawg...not meant to take away from your point....I agree with you. Just a little pet-peeve of mine.

Yeah, the golden beagles love turn the 14-12 MSU lead "on the field" around to 12-14 USM due to forfiets

Goat Holder
10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
No doubt, they are the worst ones. That 44-59-6 record against Ole Miss doesn't look so bad either without the forfeits.

dickiedawg
10-24-2013, 10:25 AM
No doubt, they are the worst ones. That 44-59-6 record against Ole Miss doesn't look so bad either without the forfeits.

Maybe they're just getting it out of the media guide. Or Wikipedia. Or anywhere else one might look for official stats.