PDA

View Full Version : The Noon start for game one of the regional

Todd4State
05-27-2019, 11:33 PM
Personally I don't mind it. At least the AD gave us a heads up this time because I missed the first game completely because I gambled on it being a night game. Lesson learned on my part- and I am better prepared this time.

I understand the inconvenience for a lot of our fans.

But there are some advantages.

1. I think it will allow our team to rest up a little more. We'll likely be done by 3:30 and whoever our next opponent is won't be done until 10:30. I'm not sure how much difference this really makes but it's something.

2. In the event of a long 17 inning game or something like that it won't delay the start of our game.

3. I think it will give our coaches a chance to scout the opponent in person. If we were the late game the coaches would have to focus their attention some on pregame while the first game was going on. I'm sure they would have enough time to scout the opponent in person the other way but playing first seems to me like it would make it a little bit less stressful on them and maybe less distracting.

4. It gives our fans an excuse to miss work.

5. It gives us more flexibility if the weather is not good. If we play the night game a rainout could force us to play two games on Saturday even if we win both.

Other thoughts, input, and etc? I'd be interested to hear Lemonis's thoughts on it.

ShotgunDawg
05-28-2019, 06:28 AM
Noon game is absolutely the right decision assuming people care more about winning the regional than having record crowds.

It's a no brainer

Marvin
05-28-2019, 06:41 AM
Noon game is absolutely the right decision assuming people care more about winning the regional than having record crowds.

It's a no brainer

100% right. We still will have a much higher attendance than most regional games around the country.

Other 1 seeds playing early:

North Carolina
Arkansas
Texas Tech
Stanford

shoeless joe
05-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Personally I love it. I can’t make the games either way and a noon start means an enjoyable matinee game to watch. As far as the actual baseball strategy I still think it’s the rite decision. Surprised more teams don’t go that route.

sleepy dawg
05-28-2019, 09:07 AM
100% right. We still will have a much higher attendance than most regional games around the country.

Other 1 seeds playing early:

North Carolina
Arkansas
Texas Tech
Stanford

I agree too. You never know what can happen or what things might come up, such as weather, or 17 innings, or any other unforseen circumstances. It's best to get started as early as possible so if any delays do occur, they affect the later teams more.

State82
05-28-2019, 09:44 AM

It's a no brainer

I agree. LSU has done this in the past but I saw yesterday that they are playing the late game Friday. But I’m glad we’re doing what we’re doing on game time.

Maroonthirteen
05-28-2019, 01:12 PM
Also with State Playing at noon, that gets more people in the stadium for both games. Miami v CMU at noon would have a few hundred people.

AlSwearengen
05-28-2019, 01:22 PM
CMU will love it b/c they will get somewhat of a break on the heat. Miami would have an advantage in that department if they were playing the noon game.

Offshore Dawg
05-29-2019, 07:21 AM

It's a no brainer

Yea and while the Dude was setting attendance records LSU was winning national championships, I think 6 of them with 5 in the 1990's

BulldogBear
05-29-2019, 08:55 AM
I think it's fine for all the reasons listed.

One minor negative is GA and/or single ticket fans having to get there at "dawn."

But the more interesting note is that I didn't even know the host school had a choice. Has that always been that way?

Jack Lambert
05-29-2019, 08:57 AM
Didn't we have a noon start last year against OK and it was slugger fest we lost?

Dawg2003
05-29-2019, 09:10 AM
Didn't we have a noon start last year against OK and it was slugger fest we lost?

Yes, it was like 10-20 or something. We trotted out about a million pitchers.

RocketCityDawg
05-29-2019, 09:30 AM
I think it's fine for all the reasons listed.

One minor negative is GA and/or single ticket fans having to get there at "dawn."

But the more interesting note is that I didn't even know the host school had a choice. Has that always been that way?

I'm a GA goer for Friday. What time do you think I should get in line? When do the gates open? Thanks in advance.

Choctaw Dawg
05-29-2019, 09:41 AM
I'm a GA goer for Friday. What time do you think I should get in line? When do the gates open? Thanks in advance.

Gates open at 10:00, I'd get there around 9:30-9:45 ish

CJDAWG85
05-29-2019, 11:18 AM
Someone just asked me if there was a mercy rule in the NCAA Tournament like the SEC Tournament. I have no idea. Anyone know?

Choctaw Dawg
05-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Someone just asked me if there was a mercy rule in the NCAA Tournament like the SEC Tournament. I have no idea. Anyone know?

No sir, there is not. It wouldn't hurt to have one though